HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Official 2010 NFL Thread (All Jets, Giants and General NFL talk here)

Closed Thread

Old
04-25-2010, 08:10 PM
XthedoodX

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by clmetsfan View Post
Off-base from reality? So in your version of reality is our linebacking corps not ridiculously thin? We clearly disagree about Sean Lee, which is fine, but I can cite plenty of people with far more impressive credentials than you who do not think that Dallas reached with that pick.

I don't dispute that we got value, but they didn't address pressing needs. DE was not a need, and safety was not a need. I'm not sure why you seem convinced that Deon Grant suddenly can't start after 144 straight starts; he's good insurance in case Phillips can't play right away. Johnson might be cut, and so might Brown, but both are adequate bench players; Brown in particular is very good against the run, he just got exposed last year when asked to be an every down safety on a team that couldn't pressure the quarterback. Personally I'd like to keep him. That would give us 5 safeties if Phillips is healthy. That's absurd depth.
C.C. brown was cut a while ago when they signed grant

http://nygreporter.com/2010/04/02/ne...n-grant-added/

Phillips and Rolle are starters, coughlin said phillips is on track and if everything keeps up he should be good to go

Jones and Grant are the backups, and they keep johnson for depth

Old
04-25-2010, 09:38 PM
clmetsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by XthedoodX View Post
C.C. brown was cut a while ago when they signed grant

http://nygreporter.com/2010/04/02/ne...n-grant-added/

Phillips and Rolle are starters, coughlin said phillips is on track and if everything keeps up he should be good to go

Jones and Grant are the backups, and they keep johnson for depth
Ah, I missed that. Good to know.

So if Johnson makes it out of camp with the team they'll still have 5 safeties.

Old
04-25-2010, 09:40 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Giants signed my school's QB!

Quote:
The former Holy Cross quarterback signed a free-agent contract with the New York Giants yesterday. He will join his new team for rookie minicamp next week.
http://www.telegram.com/article/2010...250589/0/local

Doubtful he ever gets much of a look, but it's still pretty cool.

RANGERS =
Old
04-25-2010, 09:42 PM
clmetsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlundqvist30 View Post
So you're saying that we should pass up on talent that could help us for the next 5-10 years because of what is needed this year, only? It's not like we're the Detroit Lions and investing all of our draft picks into WR. It's not like we're flooded with young DT's and safeties. It would be an absolutely horrible philosophy to force trades and make reach picks for the sole purposes of addressing positions.
People act like the only two options are draft for value or draft for need. As Reese has shown in the past, he's more than capable of doing both. Phillips, Nicks, Webster, Shockey, Manning...all picks that were good value AND addressed a serious need (and in Shockey and Manning's cases, examples of them trading up). I refuse to believe that we just happened to luck out to the point that the absolute best player available in all those years just happened to fit our biggest need at the time as well.

Old
04-25-2010, 09:43 PM
NYR Viper

I am going to go on record as saying the Packers got the steal of the draft with James Starks from Buffalo. The guy is a great all-around back. He can run and catch passes out of the back-field and is a good open field runner. He needs bulk-up a bit but he is going to be good. Would have been a 2nd round talent had he not gotten hurt last season.

Old
04-25-2010, 09:43 PM
clmetsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
Giants signed my school's QB!

http://www.telegram.com/article/2010...250589/0/local

Doubtful he ever gets much of a look, but it's still pretty cool.
You went to HC?? What year? I was 2006.

Great to hear about Dom. I saw that they brought him in as one of their 30 allowed out-of-area workouts, and this is what I was hoping for since I figured they wouldn't want to use a pick on him. Here's hoping he surprises people and makes the roster in a couple years. Second chance for us Saders to root for one of our own in the pros. I was really disappointed with how Rissmiller panned out.

Old
04-25-2010, 09:47 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Gang Green have signed a bunch of UDFAs so far.

http://www.thejetsblog.com/2010/04/2...udfa-signings/

Most intriguing for me are Donovan Warren (CB) and TJ Raymond (NT).

It's just pain.
Old
04-25-2010, 10:16 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
You went to HC?? What year? I was 2006.

Great to hear about Dom. I saw that they brought him in as one of their 30 allowed out-of-area workouts, and this is what I was hoping for since I figured they wouldn't want to use a pick on him. Here's hoping he surprises people and makes the roster in a couple years. Second chance for us Saders to root for one of our own in the pros. I was really disappointed with how Rissmiller panned out.
Just missed you. Started here in 2007, graduating in 2011. Gonna be a senior next year. Terrifying.

There was buzz all around campus that something was going down with him. Pretty cool that he ended up with Big Blue. I think he's gonna surprise some people with his play. He's only ever gotten better and worked harder. Sader Nation will always have his back!

And re: Pissmiller ---

Old
04-25-2010, 10:42 PM
TrojanRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post

Dude is a stud. He played at a great HS program in Southern California and was heavily recruited. He was grossly misused by Rich Rod at Michigan and went through the combines with a bad ankle or hamstring, I forget but it really hampered his performance. The last thing the Jets need is another solid defensive back, but this dude can play.

Side note: Mark Carrier is his Godfather.

Old
04-26-2010, 10:35 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Pats cut Adalius Thomas. I assume it's only a matter of time before he's wearing Green and White.

Old
04-26-2010, 10:41 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Off-base from reality? So in your version of reality is our linebacking corps not ridiculously thin? We clearly disagree about Sean Lee, which is fine, but I can cite plenty of people with far more impressive credentials than you who do not think that Dallas reached with that pick.

I don't dispute that we got value, but they didn't address pressing needs. DE was not a need, and safety was not a need. I'm not sure why you seem convinced that Deon Grant suddenly can't start after 144 straight starts; he's good insurance in case Phillips can't play right away. Johnson might be cut, and so might Brown, but both are adequate bench players; Brown in particular is very good against the run, he just got exposed last year when asked to be an every down safety on a team that couldn't pressure the quarterback. Personally I'd like to keep him. That would give us 5 safeties if Phillips is healthy. That's absurd depth.
You are one of like 3 Giants fans I know of who are just obsessed over Sean Lee.

The kid will be a fine LB, but he's absolutely nothing special. Dillard is every bit as good as Lee. In fact, all the guys from the 2nd to the 4th are roughly equal to each other. There are no stars there -- only solid players. Why do you think we didn't pick a LB until then? They had them all ranked similarly (and I did as well -- and a number of other people did also) and didn't feel the need to pick one that early when they can focus on other needs like safety and DT.

Grant is an OK safety, but he was starting to falter in Seattle. Why do you think they let him go? Clearly, if he was still worthy of starting every game for them, they'd keep him. Jones is here for not only playing safety but for special teams. And lest me not remind you that our special teams sucked balls last year?

5 safeties isn't really "absurd depth". Teams tend to like to carry 3 or 4 safeties most of the time, anyway.

Old
04-26-2010, 11:52 AM
DontStepanMe

Quote:

saw that about Warren and am definately going to follow him closely. This could be a huge steal.

If I were Dwight Lowery I would be going to the safety meetings more frequently now. He might be in a good position to switch over and battle it out with Poole

Old
04-26-2010, 12:03 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Yeah, Swipe Lowery's game is probably better suited to the S position anyway.

Old
04-26-2010, 04:15 PM
clmetsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Grant is an OK safety, but he was starting to falter in Seattle. Why do you think they let him go? Clearly, if he was still worthy of starting every game for them, they'd keep him. Jones is here for not only playing safety but for special teams. And lest me not remind you that our special teams sucked balls last year?
Well no, not really. He was cut because he was ridiculously overpaid in Seattle (cap hit was something like $5.5 million through 2012). They're taking advantage of the uncapped year to shed overpriced veterans, just like the Pats did with Thomas and the Jags with Henderson. It doesn't mean that he isn't capable of starting, it just means that he's not worthy of being one of the highest paid safeties in the league.

Last edited by clmetsfan: 04-26-2010 at 04:21 PM.
Old
04-26-2010, 09:02 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Well no, not really. He was cut because he was ridiculously overpaid in Seattle (cap hit was something like $5.5 million through 2012). They're taking advantage of the uncapped year to shed overpriced veterans, just like the Pats did with Thomas and the Jags with Henderson. It doesn't mean that he isn't capable of starting, it just means that he's not worthy of being one of the highest paid safeties in the league.
The general opinion of Grant is that he's a solid vet back-up (hence why the Giants signed him to be a back-up). No more, no less. I watched him all last year. He's only a starter on a very poor team. If he starts for us this year, we have major problems.

Old
04-27-2010, 12:36 AM
Draft Guru
The Wizard of Özil

Quote:
Pats cut Adalius Thomas. I assume it's only a matter of time before he's wearing Green and White.
I know Thomas has had success in Rex Ryan's system in Baltimore, but would he really be an upgrade over Bryan Thomas?

If we sign Adalius, Bryan would definitely be let loose.

Not sure if it's worth it.

Old
04-27-2010, 07:58 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Maybe, it's a tough call. I like Bryan Thomas. But he has been a bit of an underachiever, and definitely inconsistent. Adalius is very versatile, and would have no issues playing both DE and LB. I think he'd be a worthy addition.

Old
04-27-2010, 10:00 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
http://www.thejetsblog.com/2010/04/2...need-the-plan/

Conflicting reports on the Jets' interest in AD. If I was a betting man, my money would be on AD in green and white come camp.

Old
04-27-2010, 10:08 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Knowing how Rex loves certain players, I'd say so.

Old
04-28-2010, 10:18 AM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Yeah, Swipe Lowery's game is probably better suited to the S position anyway.
hmmm... it appears that we were wrong. It looks as though Warren will be trying out for safety. Interesting.

http://www.thejetsblog.com/2010/04/2...ren-to-safety/

Old
04-28-2010, 11:39 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
I don't know enough about Warren to say whether he'd be better at S or CB, but it would be nice to have a cover safety back there alongside Leonhard.

Old
04-28-2010, 12:19 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Stupid to convert Warren to safety. He'll be an undersized safety who has been screwed with his whole time in Michigan. What a great idea -- screw with the kid some more.

Warren should be a CB. I don't see him being a great safety, but he could potentially be a great CB.

Old
04-28-2010, 01:36 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
I have faith in the coaching staff, particularly DB-obsessed Rex Ryan, to make the right call.

Old
04-28-2010, 01:39 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
I have faith in the coaching staff, particularly DB-obsessed Rex Ryan, to make the right call.
I've watched almost every game the kid played in college. I do not think he works out as a safety. He has the potential to be a gamebreaking CB or an average safety.

Old
04-28-2010, 01:50 PM
TrojanRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
I've watched almost every game the kid played in college. I do not think he works out as a safety. He has the potential to be a gamebreaking CB or an average safety.
Totally disagree. I think he can be a very good NFL safety.

Closed Thread