HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

WCQF | Game 5 | Kings @ Canucks | 04/23/10 | WAKE UP KINGS!! VAN Lead 3-2

Closed Thread

Old
04-24-2010, 12:09 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
This is what happens in the playoffs. This is a learning experience for most of the players, some have learned they love the playoffs while others are learning it's tough to score points. They're also learning that every mistake is under a microscope-which is a huge adjustment for most King players who have 1 beat writer following the team during the regular season. The most important lessons I hope the Kings have learned is that this is now a 1 game season. All you have to do is win your next game which is what you're supposed to do anyway. And for those of you who are new to the playoffs you can now see for every superstar like Joe Thornton who is just is a complete failure in the playoffs there are guys like Mikael Samuelson who step up and carry their team. The Kings have not gotten that production out of any one player. And LA has players like Dustin Brown who is a minus 6, Brad Richardson is minus 7 and Jarret Stoll who have completely dissapeared. Then you look back in net and see Jonathon Quick with a 3.58 GAA. If you look at the stats of the King players it's shocking that this is still a 1 game series, now it's put up or shut up time. Just win Game 6.
+/- is a worthless stat when your PP is almost 50%.

Old
04-24-2010, 12:11 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
Leave it to the media guide to give me some hope:

1993: The Kings lose game 5 to Vancouver 7-2. The Kings come back and win the next two games to take the series.
...1993 was a long time ago. (Doughty was 3)

Old
04-24-2010, 12:12 PM
TonySCV
One More Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
...1993 was a long time ago. (Doughty was 3)
heh... on that note, Doughty's been unbelievable in this series. No significant fatigue factor at all. Just a pleasure to watch. At least 3 more games please!

The Los Angeles Kings - 2012 Stanley Cup Champions

Last edited by TonySCV: 04-24-2010 at 12:21 PM.
Old
04-24-2010, 12:13 PM
nki

Quote:
Originally Posted by aegwillnotwinthecup View Post
It's obvious this team is quite a few pieces away from being a legitimate contender. We need a Kovalchuk. We need a Hamhuis. The latter much more than the former.

Honestly, if I were in the dressing room before game six, I'd just tell the team they've had a fantastic year, far exceeded expectations, I was proud of them, and to just go out there and play the game they love. They have nothing else to lose at this point.

Also, I'm extremely disappointed in Kopitar, and I have to put that out there. 4 points in 5 games is absolutely unacceptable from a guy that's supposed to be your PPG number one offensive threat. He has continually gone hot and cold all year long and has never shown qualities of being "that guy." This is becoming more and more Doughty's team. Doughty is the biggest gamebreaking threat we have, and the more Kopitar disappears, the more Doughty can be keyed on by opposing teams. We need a guy like Kovalchuk to carry the offense when times are rough, because it's fairly obvious Kopitar is just not that guy. It's becoming more and more obvious he's in the third tier of forwards in the league, closer to guys like Plekanec than he is to guys like Crosby.

I'm also extremely disappointed in some of our veteran players. These are the clowns that have been advertised from the get go as gritty, experienced hockey players who will be at their best in the playoffs. Rather, they've been losing us games. That's completely unacceptable. Ryan Smyth is not a top line winger in this league anymore. Neither is Williams. O'Donnell's best days are obviously far, far behind him, because he was worse than Jones last night. Stoll has, what, one goal in the past 40 something games? Just so disappointed.

A lot of us said the series was lost in game four, and I can't help but believe that after the game last night. This team choked. Plain and simple. Blame it on youth, inexperience, or plain bad coaching (and there has been evidence of all three elements in this series) but this team choked. We had the series within our grasp with 13 minutes left in the third period, and we choked. I forget who posted it, but after game four a poster here wrote one sentence that summed up that game, and I'm beginning to believe it will sum up this series:

Ball = dropped
Kopitar is fine. I thought he played pretty good for his first playoffs, especially against a vastly superior team. It doesn't help that offensively he gets very little support.

Old
04-24-2010, 12:19 PM
Ollie Weeks

8-3 LA, 7-2 Vancouver. **** happens. That was an aberration and we all know it.

Lets see what happens tomorrow night. I certainly haven't given up hope on these guys.

Old
04-24-2010, 12:21 PM
Zad
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by nki View Post
Kopitar is fine. I thought he played pretty good for his first playoffs, especially against a vastly superior team. It doesn't help that offensively he gets very little support.
Agree and we can thank Murray for stifling any chemistry that developed with the Modin-Zeus-Richardson line.

Old
04-24-2010, 12:44 PM
BigKing
Spot Picker

Lots of stuff to go through but I'll try to keep it short:

-Smyth has been horrible and has been for months. My friend the Ducks fan nicknamed him "Ghost" a month ago and it really works. 1st-line LW is still a need for this team as Smyth has too many miles on those tires of his.

-Jones sucks but you know he is going to suck. I'm looking at the vets who are not supposed to suck and they are really letting the team down. As much as I hate Jones, the two games they won with him out consisted of an OT win and then Game 3 which you could easily say was won by the fans/atmosphere/Luongo crapping the bed. They are a better team than us and I'm still shocked that some on ehre were amped to play them over Phoenix, especially considering the season series numbers.

-Quick was terrible and has let in a grip of goals going back to the 3rd period of Game 4 through last night. He looked PISSED to have to go back in to the game last night. Ersberg just played his last minutes in a Kings uniform sans sitting on the bench with a hat on.

-I said before the game that the new lines sucked and, lo and behold, they did. While Williams wasn't terrible, it's obvious that Zeus and Modin are on a different level than the other forwards right now. While this was Clune's best game of the series, he still should have put Williams on the 4th line with Halpern and Parse and left the rest of the lines alone.

-Kudos to DL for the Modin pick-up but the Halpern trade and assets used for it would have been better spent on an Andy Sutton, even if it cost a 2nd round pick.

-As for the comment about not needing a sniper, this team may not need one as long as Bernier/Quick can throw up huge numbers. It's not so much a sniper they need, but they need more speed, especially on Kopitar's line. One of Marleau/Kovalchuk on the LW with Kopitar/Simmonds would be a treat to watch.

-J Utah...I met a girl from Vancouver in Vegas a few years back. Had a wild time and she was indeed attractive with a fantastic caboose. There was a looker in white Cancuks shirt behind the Kings penalty box last night as well. I think you may not be looking hard enough

I think they will win the next game but Game 7 in Vancouver could be very ugly. This team had to hold court at home and that Game 4 loss is probbly going to wind up as the killer. But, as we all know, it's not about this season, right?

Old
04-24-2010, 12:48 PM
reset

LOL CLUNE got owned.

Old
04-24-2010, 01:02 PM
Johnny Utah

BigKing, agreed how did we not end up with Andy Sutton...

You see the big difference between the Kings and Canucks, A. The Canucks defense take shots at our guys after every whistle and B. Canucks best players are being their best players.

Kings need a Sutton, Morris, Souray, Bieska type not Randy Jones or Sean O'Donnell (what happened to his mean streak?).

And where was Kopitar, Smyth? Williams? Modin and Handzus have the most goals and they are technically 3rd line players...

Old
04-24-2010, 01:13 PM
BurningBright

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKing View Post
Lots of stuff to go through but I'll try to keep it short:

-Smyth has been horrible and has been for months. My friend the Ducks fan nicknamed him "Ghost" a month ago and it really works. 1st-line LW is still a need for this team as Smyth has too many miles on those tires of his.

-Jones sucks but you know he is going to suck. I'm looking at the vets who are not supposed to suck and they are really letting the team down. As much as I hate Jones, the two games they won with him out consisted of an OT win and then Game 3 which you could easily say was won by the fans/atmosphere/Luongo crapping the bed. They are a better team than us and I'm still shocked that some on ehre were amped to play them over Phoenix, especially considering the season series numbers.

-Quick was terrible and has let in a grip of goals going back to the 3rd period of Game 4 through last night. He looked PISSED to have to go back in to the game last night. Ersberg just played his last minutes in a Kings uniform sans sitting on the bench with a hat on.

-I said before the game that the new lines sucked and, lo and behold, they did. While Williams wasn't terrible, it's obvious that Zeus and Modin are on a different level than the other forwards right now. While this was Clune's best game of the series, he still should have put Williams on the 4th line with Halpern and Parse and left the rest of the lines alone.

-Kudos to DL for the Modin pick-up but the Halpern trade and assets used for it would have been better spent on an Andy Sutton, even if it cost a 2nd round pick.

-As for the comment about not needing a sniper, this team may not need one as long as Bernier/Quick can throw up huge numbers. It's not so much a sniper they need, but they need more speed, especially on Kopitar's line. One of Marleau/Kovalchuk on the LW with Kopitar/Simmonds would be a treat to watch.

-J Utah...I met a girl from Vancouver in Vegas a few years back. Had a wild time and she was indeed attractive with a fantastic caboose. There was a looker in white Cancuks shirt behind the Kings penalty box last night as well. I think you may not be looking hard enough

I think they will win the next game but Game 7 in Vancouver could be very ugly. This team had to hold court at home and that Game 4 loss is probbly going to wind up as the killer. But, as we all know, it's not about this season, right?
Do you really want marleau? the guy has a tendency to not show up in the playoffs. I would rather the money be spent on someone who is a playoff performer.

Old
04-24-2010, 01:13 PM
Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by reset View Post
LOL CLUNE got owned.
But he fought. That's more than most of the Kings roster did all night. Clune took on a guy that was bigger than him and has a nice rep around the league as a good fighter. That takes guts.

Old
04-24-2010, 01:18 PM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

... Well, the watch party wasn't too great last night -- most interesting hockey conversation I had was with a Vancouver fan; most of the Kings fans there didn't seem to be fans for much longer than a year or two.

As for the game, what stood out for me was the poor goaltending (of course) and the poor faceoff performance. The Kings won only 6 of 21 faceoffs in their defensive zone and only 9 of 26 in the neutral zone. THAT's why the ice was tilted so often.

It just turned into one of those games ... sad to watch it as it unfolded, but fine after it's over. Honestly, my feeling after losing game 1 was much worse than my feeling after last night's game. It was just Vancouver's night, and every little thing they tried seemed to work perfectly. Much like the Kings' 8-3 win over the Canucks in L.A. on April Fool's Day, it only counts as one game.

So, now the Kings are coming home. And -- it's like you back a dog into a corner, what does he have to lose if you've got him cornered? The only thing he can really do is come out fighting; and in my mind, any competitor will do that. There really isn't any pressure on the Kings now. They're at home, and they can decide how they want to go out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
1993: The Kings lose game 5 to Vancouver 7-2. The Kings come back and win the next two games to take the series.
... It wasn't game 5 in 1993, it was game 4. Game 5 was Shuchuk's famous goal in double OT.

Old
04-24-2010, 01:22 PM
Nazzy-19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
But he fought. That's more than most of the Kings roster did all night. Clune took on a guy that was bigger than him and has a nice rep around the league as a good fighter. That takes guts.
As much I've hated Clune throughout this series, I got to give credit where credit was due. Not only did he step up and answer the bell, but it looked like he was the one who actually initiated the fight with Rypper, most likely knowing he was in over his head.

Old
04-24-2010, 01:38 PM
The Hegemony Consul
Serial Ruminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Dutch View Post
As for the game, what stood out for me was the poor goaltending (of course) and the poor faceoff performance. The Kings won only 6 of 21 faceoffs in their defensive zone and only 9 of 26 in the neutral zone. THAT's why the ice was tilted so often.
Ugh. During the pre-game show on the radio yesterday, I heard Nick Nickson say that the faceoff percentages going INTO that game favored the Canucks by around 58% (and the stats you posted obviously don't "help" that number). As an aside, speaking of the radio broadcast: it was funny hearing Darryl Evans call out Roberto Luongo on the Smyth penalty ("He's just got to be a man and stay on his feet")...

Old
04-24-2010, 01:42 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Win or lose, Clune was pretty much the only Kings that fulfilled his role in any degree.

Old
04-24-2010, 01:51 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Luongo really is a diving sissy. I've lost so much respect for him this series. Forsberg with goalie pads.

Old
04-24-2010, 01:56 PM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zad View Post
I was going to stay away from the boards but I notice that everyone is relatively level headed..

Same, so I waited til this morning after drinking myself to sleep last night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zad View Post
Momentum is a fickle friend. There is nothing to learn from this game. You flush it, watch it go down and forget it. We play Sunday for each other, for a great season of growth and significant strides by our youth.

I am so disappointed in Murray. I did not like his hiring. I have tried to like him since. I got to the point where I did and the moment he put Jones back in this series, it was all over. It starts from the top boys. Whether it is a corporate, government or franchise, victory and defeat starts from the top. Tonight, our top failed. Our coach failed.
Murray has started Randy Jackass Jones in all three losses. He was outcoached before the game by making changes which made NO SENSE.

Quick was bad, but our defense can not give Samuelson that much time to shoot.

Game Six Tomorrow, Sunday night. BE LOUD BE STRONG. BE THERE.

BELIEVE

Go KINGS GO

Go KINGS GO

Go KINGS GO

Go KINGS GO

Old
04-24-2010, 01:57 PM
FrozenKing18
Top Drawer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
Luongo really is a diving sissy. I've lost so much respect for him this series. Forsberg with goalie pads.
yea same here.

Old
04-24-2010, 02:02 PM
KingsFan17

We've already had a 9 game winning streak this season. I think it's time for another nice little streak, let's say 6 games. Then we'll be only 4 wins away from playing for the cup! Positive thinking ladies and gentlemen.

Old
04-24-2010, 02:03 PM
onlyalad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockwave View Post
Ugh. During the pre-game show on the radio yesterday, I heard Nick Nickson say that the faceoff percentages going INTO that game favored the Canucks by around 58% (and the stats you posted obviously don't "help" that number). As an aside, speaking of the radio broadcast: it was funny hearing Darryl Evans call out Roberto Luongo on the Smyth penalty ("He's just got to be a man and stay on his feet")...
I heard an interview will Hrudey about goalie flopping in the 90s (no names were used) and he said he hated that refs expected the goalie to fall before they would call interference. He said it would lead to what we are seeing today. A couple of times the wind of somebody skating by knocked Lu off his feet. Tapes will be sent and we will hear nothing. However I hope next time a dive happens a King roofs it and the refs make the right call.

Old
04-24-2010, 02:05 PM
Maynard

Send a message via AIM to Maynard
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
Someone should make a compilation gif of all his dives and post it on the main board.
Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.5; en-us; HERO200 Build/CUPCAKE) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1

Old
04-24-2010, 02:06 PM
onlyalad

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsFan17 View Post
We've already had a 9 game winning streak this season. I think it's time for another nice little streak, let's say 6 games. Then we'll be only 4 wins away from playing for the cup! Positive thinking ladies and gentlemen.
ah someone found the bottle of Prozac. Pass it to the left my friend

Old
04-24-2010, 02:16 PM
CowMix
Go Kings Go!

I really dislike how goalies have been handled by our coaching staff

Old
04-24-2010, 02:18 PM
BigKing
Spot Picker

I'm about worn out defending Clune on the main board as having brass balls.

Old
04-24-2010, 02:19 PM
corman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Just wait till they get their ***** handed to them in the second round and find something new to whine about and point their fingers on Luongo and the Sedins. It is an annual ***** fest with those Nucks fans.
Call me a troll I don't care, I am a hockey fan and read ALOT of other teams forums, I love hockey. You bash the vancouver fans? Tell me how many straight sell out stadiums have the kings had compared? The Canuck fans have supported thier team by selling out the stadium close to 400 times in a row. Not bad for a city a fraction of LA. Go ahead and flame, but the fans here a passionate we eat , sleep , live hockey.
There go ahead and flame me, I don't care. I look forward to a great entertaining game Sunday.

Closed Thread