Old
10-06-2010, 01:38 PM
Karitimes
JetsJetsJets

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaStars99 View Post
Interviews and finding a job suck
As does grocery shopping while hungry and looking for a decent priced apartment near downtown.

Old
10-06-2010, 01:49 PM
Karitimes
JetsJetsJets

K, so the other day, I asked the question about what people think about the IPAD. Thanks for all the replies (jerks)

Anyway, bought it. Rules. If you are thinking about getting one of those lame mini notebook internet surfing computers, buck up the extra couple hun and get the IPAD. The keyboard on the screen is quite sensitive, so you need the wireless keyboard for HF posts and email. I was skeptical when I seen Steve's state of the union on it, but it's a lot better than I though it would be. Only bad thing is no flash player...but yep, there's an app for that.

Old
10-06-2010, 02:56 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

vCash: 2111
Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple A Day Kari View Post
K, so the other day, I asked the question about what people think about the IPAD. Thanks for all the replies (jerks)

Anyway, bought it. Rules. If you are thinking about getting one of those lame mini notebook internet surfing computers, buck up the extra couple hun and get the IPAD. The keyboard on the screen is quite sensitive, so you need the wireless keyboard for HF posts and email. I was skeptical when I seen Steve's state of the union on it, but it's a lot better than I though it would be. Only bad thing is no flash player...but yep, there's an app for that.
Make sure you get Angry Birds.

Old
10-06-2010, 04:38 PM
Karitimes
JetsJetsJets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Failure View Post
Make sure you get Angry Birds.
Will thanks. Also, already blew 4 bucks on the most useless Stars apps.

Old
10-06-2010, 05:14 PM
DaStars99
Purdue Alumnus

vCash: 1425
Yea when it comes to stars I just made an hf link app, tsn, hnic, and espn scorecenter. None of the stars branded apps are any good

Old
10-06-2010, 05:58 PM
Karitimes
JetsJetsJets

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaStars99 View Post
Yea when it comes to stars I just made an hf link app, tsn, hnic, and espn scorecenter. None of the stars branded apps are any good
Yeah, pretty much have done the same as you mentioned. HNIC is a good idea, another one to consider is The Score app. Not sure if you're familiar with it, it's a non-stop highlights show in Canada. Gets old fast on TV, but the app is pretty useful. I kinda hate the TSN one; not sure why they always have the worst online sites, apps, etc. when they brand themselves as 'Canada's Sports Leader'? Highlights, live action any sport is decent, online not so much.

Old
10-06-2010, 07:06 PM
starsfan24
#17 "Keep Rollin"

vCash: 995
Roy Halladay just threw a no-no.

Old
10-08-2010, 09:21 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
victory green?

vCash: 27750
We passed the 100k-post milestone for the forum tonight. The 26th team board to do it.

Old
10-08-2010, 09:27 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 50
Cool!

10-08-2010, 11:32 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

vCash: 1495
Yay for not being last?

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Old
10-09-2010, 09:55 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Jesus Christ, LSU is the luckiest football team in the country.

Unreal.

Old
10-11-2010, 09:49 AM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Happy Thanksgiving to all the Canadian Stars fans out there!

Old
10-11-2010, 01:29 PM
MB94
@MBFarina94

Thank you lol
I got a question for Stars fan in Dallas. Where does Stars hockey rank in Dallas? I saw this in the National League Hockey Talk in the thread "Where does your NHL team rank in your city" or something like that..
Quote:
NFL - Cowboys
MLB - Rangers
NCAA - Univ. Texas
NBA - Mavericks
NCAA - Texas A&M
NCAA - OU
HS - Football
NCAA - TCU
CRAP - Nascar
NFL - Saints
NHL - Stars
Stars hockey is last??? Really

Old
10-11-2010, 02:14 PM
Chad_

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarsFanInCanada View Post
Thank you lol
I got a question for Stars fan in Dallas. Where does Stars hockey rank in Dallas? I saw this in the National League Hockey Talk in the thread "Where does your NHL team rank in your city" or something like that..

Stars hockey is last??? Really
That's not a very good listing. Or at least it doesn't seem so to me, however I'm not sure how one really makes such a list. I'm going to go strictly upon team/school merchandise seen in the area as I've got friends or family who are fans and are not fans of various teams/sports.

First off, group all colleges together and note it's college football. TCU is not anywhere near that high on the list and there is at least one more college not listed that has a much larger DFW following than TCU, but that's really secondary. It does, however, demonstrate whoever made that list either isn't from the area or doesn't pay attention.

So now you've got the Cowboys, Rangers, college football, Mavericks, HS football and NASCAR(I don't know about this one, but I have only known one NASCAR fan my entire life), which would be a good enough representation. How the Saints got in there I do not know. There weren't that many New Orleans residents moved here post-Katrina.

NOTE: I am a Dallas native and resident.

Old
10-11-2010, 02:41 PM
Karitimes
JetsJetsJets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars99Lobo37 View Post
Happy Thanksgiving to all the Canadian Stars fans out there!
Thank you fine sir. Gonna tip back some pumpkin ale tonight. No turkey, no pumpkin pie, just some micro brewery pumpkin ale.

Anyone into Arcade Fire or Broken Social Scene? Arcade Fire, I'm sure most have heard of not sure about BSS. If you aren't or haven't heard of them, give their new albums a listen. Good musicians, awesome lyrics. This 9 person band thing is catching on. The albums if interested are:

Arcade Fire - The Suburbs

Broken Social Scene - Forgiveness Rock

Old
10-11-2010, 02:55 PM
MB94
@MBFarina94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad_ View Post
That's not a very good listing. Or at least it doesn't seem so to me, however I'm not sure how one really makes such a list. I'm going to go strictly upon team/school merchandise seen in the area as I've got friends or family who are fans and are not fans of various teams/sports.

First off, group all colleges together and note it's college football. TCU is not anywhere near that high on the list and there is at least one more college not listed that has a much larger DFW following than TCU, but that's really secondary. It does, however, demonstrate whoever made that list either isn't from the area or doesn't pay attention.

So now you've got the Cowboys, Rangers, college football, Mavericks, HS football and NASCAR(I don't know about this one, but I have only known one NASCAR fan my entire life), which would be a good enough representation. How the Saints got in there I do not know. There weren't that many New Orleans residents moved here post-Katrina.

NOTE: I am a Dallas native and resident.
So where would the Stars be?

Old
10-11-2010, 03:18 PM
vofty

NFL - Cowboys
MLB - Rangers
NBA - Mavericks

NCAA - College Football (I lumped all schools together, because NCAA regardless of who is playing is a big draw especially Big 12 games)
CRAP - Nascar
NHL - Stars
HS - Football

Rangers and Mavs can be interchangeable based on which season it is and who is winning in the metroplex.
Shouldn't be on the list- Saints

Granted I haven't actually lived in the metroplex in about 4 years so that could be off

Old
10-11-2010, 03:27 PM
Chad_

1. Cowboys - Sunday afternoons during a Cowboys game is the closest you'll come in Dallas to a college town emptying out during a football game.
5. College football - outliers are TCU, SMU, Baylor and UNT, but three Big XII Texas schools, OU and perhaps schools such as LSU and Arkansas are pretty heavily followed here, at least enough to merit this type of ranking.
6. Rangers/Mavericks - The Mavs bandwagon is emptying while the Rangers one is filling, but I'm not sure how much of either would constitute a significant move in a ranking such as this.
7. HS football - it's huge down here, but segregated since the locals all went or have children who go to different schools, thus it's hard to track
8. Stars

While the Stars are down on that list, the only place they can really move is a switch with the Rangers/Mavericks. They were there when the Stars were winning the Stanley Cup and going to the Finals. Of Course the Mavs sucked then, but the Rangers were a playoff team, so that didn't matter.

They will never displace the love of football, regardless of what level, in Texas. Short of a mandate that every kid has to play hockey, that will just never happen because kids are ingrained to play football after school all year around.

Anyhow, that's my best guess at it. There are simply too many different entertainment sources here, and since you live in Canada and maybe have never been here, the population of Dallas, Ft. Worth and the surrounding 'burbs is more than healthy enough to sustain this many teams. It's huge and sprawling.

ADDED: And now I see Chicken - errrr, Vofty - weighed in. I'll quibble with her ranking of high school football, but that's it. I'll also note it's very hard to measure just how big of a following HS football has. While many more people go to HS football games than to Stars games, there are far less games (6 or so home games). Tickets are also less expensive, and students feel compelled to go if they aren't playing.

Old
10-11-2010, 03:38 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
victory green?

vCash: 27750
The Stars beat FC Dallas.

Did you know FC Dallas has a 19 game unbeaten streak? Of course not, it's soccer.

Old
10-11-2010, 08:37 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued1457 View Post
The Stars beat FC Dallas.

Did you know FC Dallas has a 19 game unbeaten streak? Of course not, it's soccer.
FC Dallas is pretty freakin irrelevant in this town. Pretty sad. I follow them, but nothing like I do Arsenal or Blyth...and I can't even watch the Blyth games. I just follow the message board on game days.

MLS is the MLS and will always be the MLS no matter how many superstars on the backline of their career they pull over. I'll watch the BURN when I see they're on TV if it isn't interrupting anything else I'm doing.

I don't know a single Nascar fan and coming from East Texas, that's saying something imo. I still think if the Stars go on a run, like they did in 08, they could move back up the list. Cowboys will always be #1 in this town, obviously.

Would agree with Chad's list.

Old
10-11-2010, 08:55 PM
Chad_

The Blyth Spartans? Hah! Just how did you ever start to follow them considering there's no freaking way you've ever seen them play since even the Championship level isn't shown over here much less below Conference.

Old
10-12-2010, 03:04 PM
vofty

Add McDonald's Happy Meal to the list of things that could survive a nuclear holocaust.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_upshot...for-six-months

Old
10-12-2010, 03:58 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad_ View Post
The Blyth Spartans? Hah! Just how did you ever start to follow them considering there's no freaking way you've ever seen them play since even the Championship level isn't shown over here much less below Conference.
Football Manager

Closed Thread