Closed Thread

Old
03-23-2012, 01:52 PM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
I absolutely loved the pilot for the Walking Dead but thought the rest of season 1 was garbage and stopped watching after that.
I didn't notice a difference between the pilot and the rest of season 1. I'm prone to liking post-apocalyptic things so maybe I missed something but I didn't notice any discernible drop-off from the pilot to the rest of the series, at all. Going from loving to garbage is a pretty big gap.

Old
03-23-2012, 03:07 PM
Captain Awesome

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambassador Of Fun View Post
I had the exact same reaction to TWD, but I heard season 2 was really good. Then again, it was from people who really liked season 1. I even like zombie stuff. I just realized midway through the season 2 premier that I literally didn't care if any of the characters died.
I thought season 1 was an incredibly promising start. I think season 2 is absolute drivel. I find none of the characters intriguing or likable, at best they're bad cliches or one dimensional and bland. That would all be ok if there was any decent amount of action, but there isn't. It's like a bad soap opera with a sprinkling of zombies. I'd be lucky to point out one good scene per episode in this season. It's been hard to watch.

Old
03-23-2012, 03:13 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

vCash: 25678
Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
I didn't notice a difference between the pilot and the rest of season 1. I'm prone to liking post-apocalyptic things so maybe I missed something but I didn't notice any discernible drop-off from the pilot to the rest of the series, at all. Going from loving to garbage is a pretty big gap.
All I can say is that the pilot was like a mini-movie. And it's because Frank Darabont was the director. The pace was almost languid yet it infused every moment with a certain lingering tension and dread and worked to highlight the bursts of action. Then there was that amazing cliffhanger in downtown Atlanta which can only be described as expertly shot. From that point on it played out like, well, a middle-of-the-road TV show. I was rooting for the zombies after a few eps.

Old
03-23-2012, 11:33 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator
Milana <3

vCash: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hecantscorefromthere View Post
That rink blows. It's covered it like 2x2 squares of red lines for figure skaters. Its rather troublesome.
Best ice I've ever skated on. By far.

That rink was about 30x better than any rink I've ever skated at. Even Toyota Center.

It was run so well, so clean, and just so ****ing awesome compared to what we usually have.

We won 10-2, beat some team from Austin. Cannot believe Southlake Carroll lost to Seven Lakes, especially 5-2. I'm so scared of playing Keller though...

Anyone on here ever ref any games?

Old
03-24-2012, 03:49 AM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
All I can say is that the pilot was like a mini-movie. And it's because Frank Darabont was the director. The pace was almost languid yet it infused every moment with a certain lingering tension and dread and worked to highlight the bursts of action. Then there was that amazing cliffhanger in downtown Atlanta which can only be described as expertly shot. From that point on it played out like, well, a middle-of-the-road TV show. I was rooting for the zombies after a few eps.
That post of mine you replied to was a bit of a post-bar opinion. I can't actually say there was no drop-off. In fact, I agree with all of the things you said about it. The downtown Atlanta scene was expertly shot and the entire episode did have the feel of film rather than television. I guess I just contextualized that as what it was, a great piece of art that stood alone. I wasn't expecting episode after episode of that level. That's nigh unattainable.

Not to debate you because we are talking about aesthetic perspective here, but to present another side of the discussion...I follow the story more as a case study in human survival instincts and how when confronted with its own mortality on a macro scale humankind has a way of evolving social standards of what is and is not acceptable. The question of "how much 'civilization' do we try to hold onto" is central to the overall story arc. I find it a fascinating one because it gets at the underlying question of where does man fit on the continuum of the animal kingdom. Does a high level of spatial reasoning really separate us in a positive way from "lower" species? Or is it simply one of our primary tools of survival because we lack raw physical power and sharp teeth. The issue of fitting humanity into the equation of survival in such a time of turmoil can be one that keeps you alive or leads to your downfall. The question of morality and its usefulness is one confronted on a regular basis in this show.

I think when viewed through that lens the show stands up and is anything but run of the mill or middle brow. It is absolutely head and shoulders above the ever overrated Breaking Bad (which I like). I also look at the show as not trying to be anything other than what it is - a come to life version of a graphic novel. The characters are supposed to archetypal to an extent, in a sort of mythology sort of way.

Old
03-24-2012, 04:58 AM
ReverendAlBundy
Loungetown mortician

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
Best ice I've ever skated on. By far.

That rink was about 30x better than any rink I've ever skated at. Even Toyota Center.

It was run so well, so clean, and just so ****ing awesome compared to what we usually have.

We won 10-2, beat some team from Austin. Cannot believe Southlake Carroll lost to Seven Lakes, especially 5-2. I'm so scared of playing Keller though...

Anyone on here ever ref any games?
How'd midlothian do? They have a kid that plays canadian jr. A

Old
03-24-2012, 11:44 AM
DaStars99
Purdue Alumnus

vCash: 1425
Quote:
That rink blows. It's covered it like 2x2 squares of red lines for figure skaters. Its rather troublesome.
Isn't that were they do the curling too?

Old
03-24-2012, 11:49 AM
ReverendAlBundy
Loungetown mortician

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaStars99 View Post
Isn't that were they do the curling too?
Yes.

Old
03-24-2012, 12:49 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator
Milana <3

Quote:
How'd midlothian do? They have a kid that plays canadian jr. A
****, we play them in about an hour.

They killed our city champs.

Keller is absolutely destroying 7 lakes. 5 goals on 9 shots 10 minutes in. Not even fair.

Old
03-24-2012, 01:46 PM
ReverendAlBundy
Loungetown mortician

Quote:
****, we play them in about an hour.

They killed our city champs.

Keller is absolutely destroying 7 lakes. 5 goals on 9 shots 10 minutes in. Not even fair.
Meh he's alright. He's a d-man, number 4 I think? If you forecheck hard he has trouble clearing the zone, I'll tell you that.

Old
03-25-2012, 08:07 AM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator
Milana <3

We lost to Midloth 7-0. They're just too good.

Playing SL for 3rd. Keller and Midloth playing for 1st.

Old
03-25-2012, 08:20 AM
ReverendAlBundy
Loungetown mortician

Quote:
We lost to Midloth 7-0. They're just too good.

Playing SL for 3rd. Keller and Midloth playing for 1st.
Yeah no offense, but I didn't really expect a non-metroplex team to win state.

Old
03-25-2012, 05:15 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator
Milana <3

1. Keller
2. Midlothian
3. Cinco Ranch (H) (Best we've ever done at State)
4. Seven Lakes (H)
5. South Lake Carroll ( Still can't believe they lost in the 1st round)
6. Woodlands (H)
7. Mansfield
8. Round Rock (A)

Our last game was intense. Beat 7 Lakes 4-3 in OT. One of the best games I've ever been apart of.

Actually, this is only the Silver division, or Tier II for State. And there's a North and South Silver division. Dallas always wins every division, and it's only Dallas teams in Tier I.

How does Farmer's Branch compare to the other rinks? Because it was about 10 times better than the best Houston rink.

Does Brendan Morrow have a son, or a nephew/cousin that plays for SLC? They had one kind who kind of looked like him, was just unreal, and was named Morrow, but no one was sure if there was any relation.

Old
03-26-2012, 05:57 PM
Bennrocks

The Tebow media barrage is getting really ****ing old

Old
03-26-2012, 06:56 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennrocks View Post
The Tebow media barrage is getting really ****ing old
I'm keeping up with the Stars and the NHL as much as I can these days but aside from the occasional Rangers spring training update I've kept most of the rest of the sporting world at arms length recently. So is Sanchize just gone or what's the deal with these Payton Manning dominoes?

Old
03-26-2012, 07:30 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator
Milana <3

Why the hell did Denver get rid of him anyways?

I'm almost hoping Manning just crushed in a career-ending sack on the first play of his season just to shove it in his own face (he should've just retired) and the Broncos (for being so stupid). I'd hate to see him injured, but with his history, I really wouldn't be surprised to see him hurt very soon.

Quote:
I'm keeping up with the Stars and the NHL as much as I can these days but aside from the occasional Rangers spring training update I've kept most of the rest of the sporting world at arms length recently. So is Sanchize just gone or what's the deal with these Payton Manning dominoes?
I don't think anyone really knows what either team is planning. Sanchez isn't really all that great, but Tebow isn't even better. The Broncos obviously think a 37 year old quarterback who's career could be ended by one hit is worth the risk of a FIVE contract.

But it's still not as stupid as the Texans blowing up their offensive line, dropping Dressen, losing the best defensive player in the NFL, and trading Ryans for just about nothing.

Old
03-26-2012, 07:37 PM
Bennrocks

Quote:
tebow is the back up for the jets now.... to introduce their back up they had a press conference in which there were 200+ credentialed media in attendance and since this whole thing happened espn has been on 24 hour tebow coverage despite march madness

Old
03-26-2012, 08:01 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Why the hell did Denver get rid of him anyways?

I'm almost hoping Manning just crushed in a career-ending sack on the first play of his season just to shove it in his own face (he should've just retired) and the Broncos (for being so stupid). I'd hate to see him injured, but with his history, I really wouldn't be surprised to see him hurt very soon.
Why the Manning hate? All that guy has ever been is classy and will finish his career as arguably a top 2 quarterback of all time. Tebow will soon be exposed and the Broncos realized this. That's why they sought out Manning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennrocks View Post
tebow is the back up for the jets now.... to introduce their back up they had a press conference in which there were 200+ credentialed media in attendance and since this whole thing happened espn has been on 24 hour tebow coverage despite march madness
Yeah I'm kinda glad I'm not around for that. There's a reason so many people are hoping the guy fails and his christ-filled postgame interviews are only part of it.

Old
03-26-2012, 08:04 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games Seen: 13

vCash: 1495
Quote:
Yeah I'm kinda glad I'm not around for that. There's a reason so many people are hoping the guy fails and his christ-filled postgame interviews are only part of it.
I can get over his faith crap (am not big religiously), despite it being thrown in my face whenever he talks. It's the fact that the dude gets worshiped like he is Peyton Manning or Tom Brady.

Dude has done absolutely nothing to merit the attention he gets.

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Old
03-26-2012, 08:04 PM
Bennrocks

Quote:
the single good thing espn did is they counted the number of times he said excited in his press conference... it was over 40

Old
03-26-2012, 08:08 PM
Brand New Stars

Seriously should be no hate for Manning. Why should he retire? He was cleared to play around the Superbowl if his nerves had been good enough to go at that point in time. That's ridiculous to say that.

Old
03-26-2012, 08:09 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars99Lobo37 View Post
I can get over his faith crap (am not big religiously), despite it being thrown in my face whenever he talks. It's the fact that the dude gets worshiped like he is Peyton Manning or Tom Brady.

Dude has done absolutely nothing to merit the attention he gets.
I agree with you that he's done nothing to merit the attention, at least not to the extreme like it is. I actually can't get past the religious talk though. I partly want him to fail because he's so in my face about it. I watch sports as a secular outlet and he invades that sanctity on a consistent basis.

Old
03-26-2012, 08:13 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games Seen: 13

vCash: 1495
Quote:
I agree with you that he's done nothing to merit the attention, at least not to the extreme like it is. I actually can't get past the religious talk though. I partly want him to fail because he's so in my face about it. I watch sports as a secular outlet and he invades that sanctity on a consistent basis.
I'd probably feel the same if I watched the NFL more, or even ESPN at that. When I see ESPN is talking about Tebow, I just changed it to the NHLN or Fox Soccer. I avoid people in real life that are super religious. Definitely don't want to watch people talk about it on TV.

Old
03-26-2012, 08:26 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator
Milana <3

Quote:
Why the Manning hate? All that guy has ever been is classy and will finish his career as arguably a top 2 quarterback of all time. Tebow will soon be exposed and the Broncos realized this. That's why they sought out Manning.
I'm a Texans fan. I have the utmost respect for him, but still hate him. I mean, when he single-handedly runs over your franchise over and over again, you can't help but hate him.

He seriously should've retired, though. Too risky IMO. And there really isn't a reason for him to come back.

I kind of feel for Indy, too. They're kind of in a situation like we were with Modano and Benn.

Old
03-26-2012, 08:57 PM
Bennrocks

ITS ALIVE

Closed Thread