piqued
Global Moderator
victory green?

vCash: 27750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad_ View Post
Any other Lost fans out there?

Twelve hours after the series finale, I'm still moved by the ending
Definitely. There's a really active Lost thread on the Entertainment board, don't know if you go over there. txomisc is the only other Stars fan I see from time to time.

But yeah, I loved the last episode. Just a perfectly executed final scene with Jack in the bamboo. And I found myself not caring about answers or mythology, just the resolution of all the myriad character arcs, which were all treated with the respect they deserved after 6 seasons. Also, thankfully, there was no reset button pushed.

Old
05-24-2010, 09:40 PM
Chad_

vCash: 500
I didn't even know there was an entertainment board. I don't venture out of this corner very often.

Yeah, I liked the ending and how the characters were pieced together. In true mystery style, it still leaves much to be questioned, which gives viewers the chance/ability to fill in the holes as they see fit.

Old
05-25-2010, 12:14 PM
vofty

Your WTF moment of the day is brought you by some lip syncing contest.

Old
05-27-2010, 09:57 PM
Chad_

Anyone ever watch River Monsters on Animal Planet? I have only recently discovered the show, but it's fascinating. Imagine, a 400-450 pound perch (a perch!) in Africa.

Old
05-28-2010, 05:02 PM
Chad_

I'm looking for some sort of computer program that will not allow a user to download any program. My father has this annoying habit of downloading stupid stuff that ends up crashing his system, making him call me up and me spending hours upon hours getting that crap off his system all the while he doesn't grasp why his doing so frustrates me. Man, I'd sooner skin myself alive than work in an IT department.

Ideally I'd like to get a program would force my father to insert a password before downloading a program, but would enable him to download other items like MS Office files. Is there such a program?

Old
05-29-2010, 11:37 AM
hairylikebear
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

>If you're using firefox.<

There should be a feature like that in there. It's a child-proofing suite, but you can disable downloads without affecting anything else. Also, you get to enjoy the irony of child-proofing the internet from your father.

Old
05-29-2010, 01:44 PM
Chad_

Thank you for your help. That's not exactly what I'm looking for. I don't want something that he'll know about until push comes to shove. With that add-on, it launches a new browser based in FF, but he'd have to access it. Ideally I'd like whatever it is companies or schools use to safeguard their systems, but I haven't the foggiest clue what it is or what it might be called for me to search for it.

Quote:
Also, you get to enjoy the irony of child-proofing the internet from your father.
Such is the cycle of life.

Old
05-31-2010, 10:27 PM
vofty

Quote:
Anyone ever watch River Monsters on Animal Planet? I have only recently discovered the show, but it's fascinating. Imagine, a 400-450 pound perch (a perch!) in Africa.
love the show! Wasn't that perch episode the one where he found out he was almost going to be stoned by the locals?

Old
05-31-2010, 10:52 PM
Chad_

That was a different one, but I don't recall which. You're talking about the night camera shot of him sitting in a hammock listening to villagers talk, right? It's where the village chief's brother went missing.

ADDED: That was the one with those very slim canoes where the fisherman would throw out a line with 80 or so hooks, storing the hooks on the edge of the canoe. It was an alleged man eating catfish or something, but the host hypothesized what was causing people to go missing was getting a hook caught in your body (hook storage and all) and being pulled under.

Last edited by Chad_: 05-31-2010 at 11:27 PM.
Old
06-03-2010, 11:30 PM
vofty

I know there isn't supposed to be any hockey talk in here but this is kind of random so I didn't really know where else to put it? Came across this and thought it was pretty entertaining.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsYO1...eature=related

Old
06-04-2010, 04:16 PM
Verbeek2Hall

Quote:
That was a different one, but I don't recall which. You're talking about the night camera shot of him sitting in a hammock listening to villagers talk, right? It's where the village chief's brother went missing.

ADDED: That was the one with those very slim canoes where the fisherman would throw out a line with 80 or so hooks, storing the hooks on the edge of the canoe. It was an alleged man eating catfish or something, but the host hypothesized what was causing people to go missing was getting a hook caught in your body (hook storage and all) and being pulled under.

One episode took place in the Trinity River (river that runs thru Dallas/Fort Worth for non locals) He was searching for Alligator Gars.

I used to actually bow hunt for them below the Possum Kingdom dam, before the Golden Algae days. Big scary looking fish but very afraid of humans.

From episode-

Old
06-04-2010, 04:32 PM
Chad_

I saw that one and figured it would be his last episode due to him ingesting/breathing in the toxic stuff that fills the Trinity. Seriously though, that's pretty cool that you used to bow fish for them. I've never caught one and the only one I've seen caught in person (my father) was maybe a foot and a half, not much of a trophy.

Old
06-04-2010, 06:13 PM
Verbeek2Hall

Quote:
I saw that one and figured it would be his last episode due to him ingesting/breathing in the toxic stuff that fills the Trinity. Seriously though, that's pretty cool that you used to bow fish for them. I've never caught one and the only one I've seen caught in person (my father) was maybe a foot and a half, not much of a trophy.

When I was too small to go or remember my father said they were once so plentiful you could just foul hook them with a wire lead and a treble.

It was fun(unnerving) to stand in waist deep water and see fish going by that were making wakes on the water's surface.

Old
06-05-2010, 01:12 AM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

vCash: 1495
Sooooooo I'm in the process of moving to the metroplex, finally...and I'm stoked. Just thought I'd scream it on here.

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Old
06-08-2010, 02:48 PM
vofty

Stat makes me want to rip out my eyeballs

Old
06-09-2010, 06:30 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

In College Athletics new, sounds like Nebraska to the Big 10 is a confirmed thing. To be announced on Friday.

Old
06-09-2010, 08:19 PM
Chad_

One of the more interesting things in all this Big XII drama is that the school who started it all, Missouri, appears to be left out in the cold with Baylor/Colorado, the Kansases and Iowa State.

Old
06-09-2010, 10:37 PM
DaStars99
Purdue Alumnus

vCash: 1425
meh I don't like it, Nebraska doesn't add any exciting/large markets to the BTN and their academics aren't as good as any other B10 school even lowly IU. Oh well, as long as Purdue doesn't get stuck in an eastern division with PSU, OSU, UM, MSU, and IU I guess I'm okay.

Old
06-10-2010, 07:11 PM
vofty

So funny but so true...lol. When I transferred to A&M in undergrad I knew almost nothing about the school...seriously I knew they had some kind of dog and their color was maroon. I had a blast though.

Old
06-10-2010, 09:21 PM
Chad_

One of my father's neighbors is a complete TAMU family (father and all 5 sons). They have a condo in College Station, season tix to football and basketball, travel to the games (from Dallas, mind you), have painted their house maroon with white shingles, fly TAMU flags all year, customize their mailbox, always have a TAMU colored curb address and, get this, paid over $10,000 for a collie that was one of the many Reveille's pups (it died within a year of purchase). They also get rather huffy when TAMU loses to either UT or TTU during football season, so much so that I've seen the father of the family pull out a university flag flown on gamedays in my father's yard with nothing said his way.

I have yet to hear of a UT fan purchasing a steer of the Bevo bloodline, a horse in the same family of one of those ridden by the Masked Rider or a bear that was fathered/mothered by any of the Baylor on-campus bears, at least for the explicit purpose of owning a small, small piece of a university tradition.

No, I don't mean to rip TAMU or imply all TAMU students, alumni and fans are the same way (the majority are, however). Like that video, there is one thing that is quite unlike the others, in more respects than cheerleaders. There is a reason why Aggie jokes are more common than blonde jokes in Texas.

Old
06-10-2010, 09:28 PM
Chad_

Double post, but they aren't related. Could someone explain to me why the BBHoF is getting the hat worn by and a ball thrown during the game by Strasberg? While he had a good debut, he didn't set any records.

I only caught a portion of the game, but quickly turned it off when the commentators were talking up Strasberg as being the best pitcher in baseball history (not potential, actual ability now). I get it that the kid has what could be a bright future and was one of the best pitching prospects come draft time, but he's pitched one game and MLB Network and, now, the BBHoF is already preparing his plaque in Cooperstown. Where will the asterisk be?

Old
06-11-2010, 07:27 AM
Verbeek2Hall

Quote:
Double post, but they aren't related. Could someone explain to me why the BBHoF is getting the hat worn by and a ball thrown during the game by Strasberg? While he had a good debut, he didn't set any records.

I only caught a portion of the game, but quickly turned it off when the commentators were talking up Strasberg as being the best pitcher in baseball history (not potential, actual ability now). I get it that the kid has what could be a bright future and was one of the best pitching prospects come draft time, but he's pitched one game and MLB Network and, now, the BBHoF is already preparing his plaque in Cooperstown. Where will the asterisk be?
He tied this seasons strikeout high, set a club strikeout record(since the move).

I am sure the hat and ball are just being stored in case he ends up being the next Cy Young, this way the BBHoF has some cool memorabilia that doesn't just get sold to private collectors.

It would be akin to the HHoF getting the stick Crosby used to score his first goal.

Old
06-11-2010, 08:42 PM
vofty

Quote:
One of my father's neighbors is a complete TAMU family (father and all 5 sons). They have a condo in College Station, season tix to football and basketball, travel to the games (from Dallas, mind you), have painted their house maroon with white shingles, fly TAMU flags all year, customize their mailbox, always have a TAMU colored curb address and, get this, paid over $10,000 for a collie that was one of the many Reveille's pups (it died within a year of purchase). They also get rather huffy when TAMU loses to either UT or TTU during football season, so much so that I've seen the father of the family pull out a university flag flown on gamedays in my father's yard with nothing said his way.

I have yet to hear of a UT fan purchasing a steer of the Bevo bloodline, a horse in the same family of one of those ridden by the Masked Rider or a bear that was fathered/mothered by any of the Baylor on-campus bears, at least for the explicit purpose of owning a small, small piece of a university tradition.

No, I don't mean to rip TAMU or imply all TAMU students, alumni and fans are the same way (the majority are, however). Like that video, there is one thing that is quite unlike the others, in more respects than cheerleaders. There is a reason why Aggie jokes are more common than blonde jokes in Texas.
Okay this made me laugh...very subtle. Living Aggieland I don't think I've even seen anything remotely like that. I'm probably a bit of a bad aggie, first I'm liberal, don't wear my Aggie ring (although in fairness it doesn't really fit since I've lost weight I've had to get my engagement ring sized twice), oh and I don't think A&M is going to win the soon to be historic Big 12 every year. A&M is never good enough to win anything important but we are usually just good enough to screw up other teams hopes and dreams. I was at the game were A&M beat OU when OU was ranked #1, I've never heard anything so loud in my life. The traditions as crazy as they are, are in fact fun and people are super nice here. Where else will you see people doing a keg stand at 6 in the morning while camping out to buy tickets to the UT game?

Old
06-15-2010, 06:55 AM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoesURchickenFLY View Post
Where else will you see people doing a keg stand at 6 in the morning while camping out to buy tickets to the UT game?
*looks at the SEC schools*

Closed Thread