HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Laliberte

Old
04-23-2010, 04:25 PM
claude boivin lives
flat out spectacular

vCash: 500
Laliberte

So, I had wanted Kalinski to get the nod much rather than Laliberte. But, oh well, that didn't happen, so I hoped for Laliberte to play really well.

Now, I don't want to bash the guy here, but I'm hoping some people can point out to me the positive effects he had on the game last night....cuz I didn't really see any. What I saw was a guy who was pretty consistently failing to have any impact out there, usually due to a lack of hustle/foot speed. I mean, he was just pretty damn invisible all night long, and that was the case in some of his previous call-up games. The most significant impact he had on the game was taking a 2-minute hooking penalty. It was definitely a weak call, however...on that play, there were 3 separate instances during his attempt at backchecking where he should have been able to get something done, but didn't because he just wasn't quite able to keep up with the play.

I think I saw him throw one good bodycheck, but that's about all I got. If anyone else has any positive notes, I'm all ears. Let's try to focus on the positives here, rather than the negatives. For instance...Hover, you don't need to tell us he's a "garbage floater", we already know you feel that way. Clearly, I'm not a huge fan either, and am a huge fan of Kalinski...but I'm trying to give Laliberte the benefit of the doubt here and see what people liked about his game last night.

claude boivin lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2010, 04:30 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

He's said that he patterns his game after Simon Gagne but doesn't have nearly the speed to carry it out. Unfortunately for Laliberte, that speed is what makes Gagne effective both offensively and defensively.

A Gagne with little offense, little defense, no speed, and no experience is still not a Gagne.

He's not a "garbage floater." That's a little extreme. He is however pretty invisible. His foot-speed means he's going to be stuck behind the play. Gagne's effective BECAUSE he's ahead of the play.

So yeah, Laliberte is going to be invisible, and I guess with the prognosis not looking good, we may have to get used to it.

He doesn't have any other skill-set that could be of real use like a big body in front of the net or a physical edge.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 03:01 PM
claude boivin lives
flat out spectacular

Schwooo, man, this thread really took off! All these positive things you all had to say about Laliberte have really swayed my opinion of him!

claude boivin lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 03:24 PM
captainpaxil

kids in a tough spot. they asked him to fog up a mirror and he did that. it reminds me of nodl's call up last year. his job was to get the puck to carter and he did it and then when carter went south he didnt know what to do. laliberte needs to score and if he isnt he looks confused. he doesnt have gagnes complimentary skills like anticipation or defensive awareness and if he wants to model his game after him hes going to need to develop those and thats a positive step in his development.

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote