Sweden's primary international rival

Old
04-25-2010, 01:23 AM
LannysStach
Thou shall

vCash: 500
Sweden's primary international rival

Hey you guys!

On the International Tournaments page, I started a thread about each country's different primary international rival. Sweden's the one missing answer.
http://hfboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4

Is there a definitive, obvious, it-comes-right-away reaction answwer to this question for Swedish people? (only natural-borns need apply)

all other nations have one country that's far and away the one they want to beat.

there shouldn't even be a debate about it — it should be totally obvious who the #1 rival is.

here it is so far . . .

Canadians consider the main team to beat is the Russians

the Russians most want to beat the Canadians

the Americans primary opponent is Canada

the Czechs most want to beat the Russians

the Slovaks most want to beat the Czechs

the Finns most want to beat the Swedes

the Swedes most want to beat ____________ ?

LannysStach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2010, 03:11 AM
B Boarding

Quote:
Originally Posted by LannysStach View Post
Hey you guys!

On the International Tournaments page, I started a thread about each country's different primary international rival. Sweden's the one missing answer.
http://hfboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4

Is there a definitive, obvious, it-comes-right-away reaction answwer to this question for Swedish people? (only natural-borns need apply)

all other nations have one country that's far and away the one they want to beat.

there shouldn't even be a debate about it — it should be totally obvious who the #1 rival is.

here it is so far . . .

Canadians consider the main team to beat is the Russians

the Russians most want to beat the Canadians

the Americans primary opponent is Canada

the Czechs most want to beat the Russians

the Slovaks most want to beat the Czechs

the Finns most want to beat the Swedes

the Swedes most want to beat ____________ ?

Finns. And we like to do it in the last minute of the game .

B Boarding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2010, 06:22 AM
KRM

I would say Canada, at least in junior hockey and that's the only place where I feel that the rivalries really come to life.

KRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2010, 01:34 PM
svartgul
Hata Löven

Send a message via ICQ to svartgul Send a message via MSN to svartgul Send a message via Skype™ to svartgul
Canada is my and most of my friends and hockey liking individual's I've met biggest rival. Finland we win against most of the time, and sure we don't want them winning against us but Canada is always the bigger game. Everybody knows they're the best and we want to win against the best. I would say many Swedes that knows hockey have some respect for Canadas winning mentality and 'clutch' I guess, and I/we want to match and top that (especially in Canada)

Among people not interesting in hockey that only tunes in by peer pressure during Tre Kronor events, they might choose Finland because it's a neighboring country which always is a must have rivarly in any sport.

svartgul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2010, 03:58 PM
Systemfel
Global Moderator
Hockey Talk by Country

vCash: 50
Sweden-Finland is a one-way rivalry. I'd much rather win against the Canadians.

Systemfel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 03:44 AM
LiveeviL
No unique points

Send a message via ICQ to LiveeviL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Systemfel View Post
Sweden-Finland is a one-way rivalry. I'd much rather win against the Canadians.
True, so true.

LiveeviL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 12:33 PM
johnny_rudeboy

The team I most want to win against is Canada, the team I least want to lose to is Finland.

johnny_rudeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 10:12 PM
LannysStach
Thou shall

Hey you guys! Thanks for the feedback.

although this thread is leaning a little Canada, other sources have it leaning a little Finland ...

so it appears that Sweden is an anomaly, an exception to the rule, and is not like any of the other top 7 nations where if you ask anybody there is a very universal unqualified number 1 rival.

I think Johnny-R may have captured it with —
"The team I most want to win against is Canada; the team I least want to lose to is Finland."

so, would it be fair to say that – Sweden is the one country that has a divided rivalry?

Old
04-27-2010, 10:49 PM
Riddarn
1980-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by LannysStach View Post

so, would it be fair to say that – Sweden is the one country that has a divided rivalry?
I would say that for casual fans it's Finland, for hockey nerds it's Canada. Though the overall national rivalry with Finland has decreased overall for several decades now.

For me it's Canada hands down. I don't really give a crap about the Finland games.. and there is no team I want to see beaten more badly than Canada.

Riddarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 12:02 AM
Lerik

Canada, they have beaten Tre Kronor in so many big playoff games so its a blessing every time Tre Kronor take a victory in a playoff game against Canada.

Finland are a great match up(the biggest in Europe) but in most playoff games Tre kronor turns up with the victory. I will rank it:

1. Canada

2. Finland

3. Czech.Republic/Russia

Last edited by Lerik: 04-28-2010 at 12:08 AM.
Lerik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 12:47 AM
LiveeviL
No unique points

Send a message via ICQ to LiveeviL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddarn View Post
I would say that for casual fans it's Finland, for hockey nerds it's Canada. Though the overall national rivalry with Finland has decreased overall for several decades now.

For me it's Canada hands down. I don't really give a crap about the Finland games.. and there is no team I want to see beaten more badly than Canada.
This is typical for Sweden's relation towards her neighbours in sports and otherwise. All of our three neighbours, Denmark to an extent but especially Finland and Norway care a lot about Sweden; all while Sweden really don't care much about them which infuriates them further on the issue they have.

LiveeviL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 12:56 AM
svartgul
Hata Löven

Send a message via ICQ to svartgul Send a message via MSN to svartgul Send a message via Skype™ to svartgul
I don't think it's really sports related. Sweden is the big brother of Scandinavia and they want to bring our pompous ***** down. Since we're probably not gonna see any wars any time soon sports contest will have to do.

I think this especially relates to the Finland situation.

edit: Bwahaha you can't write "buns" if you know what I mean on hfboards. Seriously, hahhahah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lerik View Post

3. Czech.Republic/Russia
You put the Czechs on equal rival standing as the Russians? You must be mad high bro.

Old
04-28-2010, 01:43 AM
LannysStach
Thou shall

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveeviL View Post
This is typical for Sweden's relation towards her neighbours in sports and otherwise. All of our neighbours, especially Finland and Norway care a lot about Sweden; while Swedes really don't care much about them -- which infuriates them further on the issue they have.
This comment made me laugh.

It's like us in Canada — the U.S. gets all hot n bothered to beat us, but we don't really give a damn or even take them seriously, a certain recent overtime medal game notwithstanding.

It looks like a bit of a consensus is building that

Sweden's main international rival is Canada

but let's see if that really builds to a firm consensus.

and p.s. I grew up in Winnipeg watching Hedberg & Nilsson play with Bobby Hull — in fact, Anders lived down my backlane and we played ball hockey with him once or twice. totally great guy.
but it was this early international influence when we Western Canadians first started to learn that other nations played hockey too. from the Canada-Russia Summit '72 through all the Euros coming to the WHA and NHL during the 70s — it made me a very open hockey fan — I learned very early to judge players by how they play and not by where they're from.

and not to get further off topic, but boy, wasn't that some great hockey in these Olympics?!

it's hard to give a damn about any NHL team after watching people reunited and playing with their homies, for free, and for their homelands. Best hockey there is, to my eyes.

Old
04-28-2010, 09:51 AM
Lerik

Quote:
Originally Posted by svartgul View Post
You put the Czechs on equal rival standing as the Russians? You must be mad high bro.
In the 80:s and the beginnings of 90:s I had been high. But face it after 93 we have had way more playoff games against the Czechs and one final(2006). Russia was no top 3 contender from 1994 to 2007.

The top nations in the world of senior hockey was Canada, Czech.Republic and Sweden. This 3 nations won almost every gold between 1994 to 2007. Only Finland in 1995 IHWC, USA in 1996 World Cup of hockey and Slovakia in 2002 IHWC was able to break this 3 nations golden domination.

In the last two years Russia have come back as a top 3-4 nation(I think we for the moment have Canada, USA, Sweden and Russia in the top) and replaced Czech.Republic, but it was very long time ago Sweden and Russia played a final in a championship so I cant say I feel a big rivalry to Russia for the moment, but one or two big playoff games can change it.

Old
04-29-2010, 08:20 AM
slovakiasnextone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lerik View Post
In the 80:s and the beginnings of 90:s I had been high. But face it after 93 we have had way more playoff games against the Czechs and one final(2006). Russia was no top 3 contender from 1994 to 2007.

The top nations in the world of senior hockey was Canada, Czech.Republic and Sweden. This 3 nations won almost every gold between 1994 to 2007. Only Finland in 1995 IHWC, USA in 1996 World Cup of hockey and Slovakia in 2002 IHWC was able to break this 3 nations golden domination.

In the last two years Russia have come back as a top 3-4 nation(I think we for the moment have Canada, USA, Sweden and Russia in the top) and replaced Czech.Republic, but it was very long time ago Sweden and Russia played a final in a championship so I cant say I feel a big rivalry to Russia for the moment, but one or two big playoff games can change it.
I think the best that Russia did between 1994-2006 at the WHC was a silver in 2002. Which is funny considering their line-up was a bunch of no name´s except for the first line with Afinogenov and Sushinskij especially compared to the All Stars team with all NHLers they had in St. Petersburg in 2000.

slovakiasnextone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2010, 08:32 AM
Ciccarelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveeviL View Post
This is typical for Sweden's relation towards her neighbours in sports and otherwise. All of our three neighbours, Denmark to an extent but especially Finland and Norway care a lot about Sweden; all while Sweden really don't care much about them which infuriates them further on the issue they have.
I dont think that's right...Not anymore atleast. No one in Finland talks about Sweden any more than lets say Slovakia or USA. In fact if you read the tabloids and hockey publications in each Finland and Sweden, you'll learn that there is a lot more trash-talk in swedish media about the finns than the other way around.

Ciccarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2010, 08:43 AM
svartgul
Hata Löven

Oh I don't believe that for a second
It's not the information Finns (privately and 'media finns') have given me regarding this issue

Old
04-29-2010, 08:44 AM
Riddarn
1980-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciccarelli View Post
In fact if you read the tabloids and hockey publications in each Finland and Sweden, you'll learn that there is a lot more trash-talk in swedish media about the finns than the other way around.
While I know this is true, I think that has a lot more to do with the culture of our two main tabloid papers than anything else. They really are among the lowest of the low when it comes to journalism. And yeah, I also get the feeling that the Sweden - Finland rivalry is almost entirely dead. From both sides. In all sports, not just hockey. Which, imho, is kinda sad. I don't want stuff like Finnkampen/Suomi-Ruotsi-maaottelu and our winter sports rivalries to die out completely.

Riddarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2010, 08:52 AM
joe89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciccarelli View Post
I dont think that's right...Not anymore atleast. No one in Finland talks about Sweden any more than lets say Slovakia or USA. In fact if you read the tabloids and hockey publications in each Finland and Sweden, you'll learn that there is a lot more trash-talk in swedish media about the finns than the other way around.
Swedish media believes this and spins on and on about it to get clicks and sell single copies. Because virtually all Swedes check out the net copies of Aftonbladet and Expressen. Swedish media's trash-talk is mainly X paper in X country says this about us, so we have to come up with something back.

Also I find it hard to believe people in Finland do not rather win over Sweden and talk about them than Slovakia. USA is probably reasonable though as Finland and USA match up in every single tournament it seems. I don't think Finland is that big a deal for us but I would lie if I said Slovakia was just as big, and they just sent us home in the Olympics..

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2010, 09:35 AM
Ciccarelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
Also I find it hard to believe people in Finland do not rather win over Sweden and talk about them than Slovakia. USA is probably reasonable though as Finland and USA match up in every single tournament it seems. I don't think Finland is that big a deal for us but I would lie if I said Slovakia was just as big, and they just sent us home in the Olympics..
I think the big "Finland vs. Sweden" rivalry is living more among the older generations, middle aged ppl and up. At least with the people I talk about hockey with there's not much trash-talk toward Sweden, just analysing the games and players etc. Also in Jatkoaika.com (which is the biggest hockey forum in Finland ~ 25.000 registered users) there's very little to none BS-talk about Sweden.

Ciccarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2010, 04:05 PM
Lerik

Quote:
Originally Posted by slovakiaforever View Post
I think the best that Russia did between 1994-2006 at the WHC was a silver in 2002. Which is funny considering their line-up was a bunch of no name´s except for the first line with Afinogenov and Sushinskij especially compared to the All Stars team with all NHLers they had in St. Petersburg in 2000.
Yes and the Olympic final against Czech.Republic in 1998.

And I think the World championship final in 2002 was the only final between 1994-2007 with out Sweden, Canada or Czech.Republic as one part.

Since 1994 Sweden have played more big games against Slovakia. I think the only big game against the Russians after 1993 was one QF in a World championship(and Sweden won).

Old
05-01-2010, 04:39 PM
Vodalian

Sweden's primary international rival is easily Finland, it's the only real rivalry we have.

That being said, I would take more pleasure from beating Canada since it's a bigger accomplishment. But wanting to beat the best isn't the same thing as a rivalry, so the wording of the question might decide the answer depending on exactly what you are looking for.

Vodalian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2010, 10:20 AM
Landeskog

i'd say the Finns and Canada..

my only problem i find is that the european countries for the most part don't pick the best jrs that they can. like sweden why Lehner not on the team. hell russia could ahve good team but they don't select guys Kabanov. leaving the door wide open for canada and usa.

other than tho the worlds and olyps. the selections seems to be fair. the worlds are more of a grooming ground now for the olyps.

i love international hockey, almost more than i enjoy the nhl. i like seeing the countries stars and their skills. trust me you can only watch Sid the Kid so much before you need some Mattias Norstrom(i use love that guy, that's why when Jonas Frogren came to Toronto he become one of my favorite, becuase they play a same style game).

for my i say canada's are Russia, Sweden and USA. USA it's Russia and Canada. Czechs it's Russia and the slovaks.

does anyone know if germany and the swiss have a thing or not.

Landeskog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2010, 02:59 PM
icing

It's Finland. No question about it. It's just that the rivalry isnt what it once was. Nowdays we meet Finland once every month it feels, so of course a lot of games doesnt have any big emotions at all.

A win against Canada is of course the bigger accomplishment, and maybee there is a rivalry growing for the hockey nerds among the boards much thanks to JWC. But a real rivalry is about the losses. A big loss to Finland just doesnt hurt the hockey heart, it hearts your pride. Not that we have lost a big game to Finland for a looooong time. And believe me, a swede doesnt want to hear a victorious fin rant after they beat Sweden in big game.

It takes a really big game to awake the old rivalry (EHT is nothing), but when it awakens its bigger than anything the Canadians can bring to the table.

For the common hockey fan there is no rivalry with Canada. Canada is just a great hockey nation we really, really wanna beat. Finland is a hockey nation we really, really dont wanna lose against (because if they do win they probably point fingers and laugh at us - among other things ) - and that speaks for a real rivalry.

Last edited by icing: 05-11-2010 at 03:05 PM.
icing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 02:29 PM
TheHockeyDirector

Canada in the WJC.

TheHockeyDirector is offline   Reply With Quote