HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

ESPN: Torts sends message to Sather

Old
04-25-2010, 09:59 PM
haohmaru
boomshakalaka

vCash: 500
Is this even news? I picked up on this the day the end-of-season media meetings came to a close and "ESPN Insider" takes a week and a half to pick up on this? ESPN FTL.

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2010, 10:00 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
Agreed. With Redden and Ollie off the books, we can fill those needs without sacrificing youth development.

Dubinsky - [UFA] - Gaborik
Aasen - Christensen - [UFA]
Avery - Anisimov - Callahan
Shelley/Weise - Drury - Prust

Staal - Rozsival
Girardi - McD
Gilroy/Sang - MDZ

Grachev, Stepan, and Kreider are at least 2 years away from contributing in the NHL. Anisimov and Callahan are still third-liners at this point in their careers, which is fine. The third line on Cup contenders is crucial, and god forbid if we get some production from ours. It's perfectly okay to have them there.
Who exactly are the first line centers and ideal 2nd line right wingers that are available in free agency?

Anisimov is still a 3rd liner, but Aeson is ready to just step in on the 2nd line?

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2010, 10:03 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
arty perhaps as a 2c, but the other 2 belong on a solid 3rd line that forechecks, skates hard, plays it physical and can score some goals. both those guys are perfect counter atttack players but they are both lacking top end offensive skills.

neither of those guys would be anything more than 3rd liners on a decent team.

they are not top 6 forwards. they just arent and giving them more minutes gets you more 3rd line results.

nothing more.
I'm not really worried about our team next season if we have guys like Christensen, Prust, Shelley, etc. for the entire year plus a different looking defense. We'll be a playoff team if we go into it with a similar roster of what we finished with. That's all you can ask for.

I don't care if Christensen isn't a top 6 forward in most peoples eyes, he is when he's on a line with Gaborik. He'll put up 60 points with Gaborik in a full season.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 12:10 AM
McRanger23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
So a coach that didn't make the playoffs and doesn't have a leg to stand on called out the G.M. who is the owners pet and tells him what to do? I call B.S. on this rumor. Why didn't the NY media have this? Don't sign big free agents?
It doesnt really seem like he was making any demands ino. And what hes saying is true, give the guy some damn credit once in a while

McRanger23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 05:28 AM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

Torts is nutty but remember, it took him time in TB to build a winner and each year from 2000-01 to 2003-04 they got better.

This team is about 4-5 players away from being a playoff team again and that can be addressed this offseason by adding that via both youth and a couple of free agents.

White Plains Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 07:15 AM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
Grachev, Stepan, and Kreider are at least 2 years away from contributing in the NHL.
If accurate, call Grachev a bust now.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 08:57 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
If accurate, call Grachev a bust now.
yeah grachev shouldnt take 2 more years at all. last year wasnt a great year by any stretch but that hartford team was flatout awful.

i would have thought this would be the year he stepped into a top 9 spot but after last year, he needs to have a great camp and earn a spot.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 10:00 AM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Quote:
So a coach that didn't make the playoffs and doesn't have a leg to stand on called out the G.M. who is the owners pet and tells him what to do? I call B.S. on this rumor. Why didn't the NY media have this? Don't sign big free agents?
Isn't that would you do all the time and they get mad when nobody believes you?

Hypocrite much?

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 10:06 AM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
Isn't that would you do all the time and they get mad when nobody believes you?

Hypocrite much?
No J/o
I am clearly saying this for the 3rd time. If the coach said this to the GM this is a pretty big story as far as the Rangers go and I figure zippy or Brooks would have mentioned this., Once again your hatred for me getting inside info and posting it blinds you. Go back under your rock

Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 10:11 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

If Tortorella can get this organization to bag the "fix it in one summer" mantra, I may actually consider putting up with his antics.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 10:40 AM
Dagoon44

I fully agree. I hate Torts for many reasons but if his thinking is what is printed then he gains alot of points with me

Old
04-26-2010, 10:51 AM
hlundqvist30*

Quote:
No J/o
I am clearly saying this for the 3rd time. If the coach said this to the GM this is a pretty big story as far as the Rangers go and I figure zippy or Brooks would have mentioned this., Once again your hatred for me getting inside info and posting it blinds you. Go back under your rock
And if Ilya Kovalchuk is about to get traded then that's a HUGE story as far as the Thrashers, Devils, and NHL go, and yet the people associated with the media didn't have it until the last second.

hlundqvist30* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 10:58 AM
bobbop
Henrik & Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
I don't get that at all. Kovalchuk is not a highly paid veteran. He's a 27 year old.
If he comes to the Rangers, he will be a highly paid veteran.

Had an interesting conversation with an NHL scout Friday in Phoenix. He told me a lot of teams are scared by players nearing free agency and he expects some trades (much like the Wolski) where a young player who may be looking at a big 2nd or 3rd contract is available. He told me Wolski was more of a salary dump by Coloradio than anything else. If Sather could find a good young veteran who can add to the core, that would be my idea of a successful summer.

Last edited by bobbop: 04-26-2010 at 11:06 AM.
bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 11:05 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
If Tortorella can get this organization to bag the "fix it in one summer" mantra, I may actually consider putting up with his antics.
wait. im not so sure that even needs to be discussed. imo, they (slats) have moved passed that already.

kotalik was a mistake but he wasnt expensive and we were able to move him.

higgins was in the gomez deal that got us the cash for gaby.

brashear made no sense but again cheap.

prospal was brilliant. for 1 year.

gaborik was a no brainer. his health was a huge bonus.

ec pickup was smart.

shelley looks like a smart move.

joker and prust was ok with me. jokers gone and prust looks to have some upside longterm.

even the norwegian midget seems like a smart play. that is, until we see the numbers.

other than boyle costing us a 3rd rounder, slats and co. have been pretty good recently.

its redden and capt quaalude that hurts us. those contracts just keep on giving and giving.

i havent seen any idication that we are looking to move young assets for slugs.

who among us wouldnt turn the clock back and do the heater for dubi thing ? i sure would. i think that was a case of slats being afraid to move a kid for a proven sniper- assuming we could have afforded it.

so, i guess what im saying is, why shouldnt slats be looking to improve the team with some secondary scoring and a proven centerman ??

perhaps its not "fix it in one summer" but rather, improve it in one summer.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 11:18 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
So long as this isn't a ploy to have a built-in excuse to save his job.

04-26-2010, 11:25 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
So long as this isn't a ploy to have a built-in excuse to save his job.
Eh, I think any excuse that goes against the decisions of the GM wouldn't do much good to save his job.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 11:28 AM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
I fully agree. I hate Torts for many reasons but if his thinking is what is printed then he gains alot of points with me
Yep me as well......furthermore, if redden is sent down this year i assume it will mostly be due to Tortorella as well.

As annoyed as I am with his antics i find a positive light in some of the things he gets done off the ice as far as management is concerned.

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 11:47 AM
jacko23
KCCO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
wait. im not so sure that even needs to be discussed. imo, they (slats) have moved passed that already.

kotalik was a mistake but he wasnt expensive and we were able to move him.

higgins was in the gomez deal that got us the cash for gaby.

brashear made no sense but again cheap.

prospal was brilliant. for 1 year.

gaborik was a no brainer. his health was a huge bonus.

ec pickup was smart.
brashear was cheap? yeah, his PLAY was. his FIGHTING was. especially after his hit on Betts, he made NO SENSE on this team.

jacko23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 01:30 PM
HockeyBurd*

Torts hasn't sent any message to the GM.

HockeyBurd* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 01:51 PM
Dagoon44

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlundqvist30 View Post
And if Ilya Kovalchuk is about to get traded then that's a HUGE story as far as the Thrashers, Devils, and NHL go, and yet the people associated with the media didn't have it until the last second.
Nope they didn't but i sure did lol. I agree but that was a rumor he could have gone to 20 teams. This is a coach calling out his GM in NY that is a big story

Old
04-26-2010, 06:30 PM
ruckus*

As long as this means Dubsinsky isn't traded then I'm all for it.

Please Glen. Don't trade him. Please. I almost had to kill you last year. I don't want to do be thre again.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 06:58 PM
Chief

What a load of editorializing by the TO Sun...the only message Torts sent Sather this season was that he couldn't coach this year's team to a PO spot...and Torts is as much to blame as anyone for that result.

BTW- If Slats told Torts he could acquire B. Richards but it would cost some youth do you really think Torts would be defending the young core???

Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 07:43 PM
Rust Heisenberg

for the money it'd take to sign kovalchuk i'd rather sign zherdev, trade for radulov, and sign volchenkov.

kovalchuk (9 mill cap hit)

radulov (1.8 mill for next year)
zherdev (2.8 mill)
volchenkov (4.4 mill)

more scoring, younger core, fixes up more holes than kovalchuk would. same offensive production, better defensive production.

Rust Heisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 07:45 PM
gravytrain6t

Lets bring back Renney! He won't say a word. He'll just accept w e garbage the G.M. gives him. The team will still suck because of the players Sather has brought in, and then the pro Renney people can say..."well what do you expect him to do with this lineup? How is he not supposed to employ a Jacque Lemaire system when the team obviously cannot score goals?"

However if Tortorella actually does stay. You'll hear: "well he's supposed to get these guys to score 300 + goals a season. Because we have Gaborik, the offense is 10 times better than what Renney had. No excuses."

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 07:46 PM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief View Post
What a load of editorializing by the TO Sun...the only message Torts sent Sather this season was that he couldn't coach this year's team to a PO spot...and Torts is as much to blame as anyone for that result.

BTW- If Slats told Torts he could acquire B. Richards but it would cost some youth do you really think Torts would be defending the young core???
Well don't keep us waiting. It seems like you already know the answer. What would Tortorella do??

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote