HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Did you think that Katsitsyn was a good pick for the Habs ?

View Poll Results: Did you liked the 1st round pick last year (Andrei Katsitsyn) ?
yes 165 81.28%
no 14 6.90%
dont know 24 11.82%
Voters: 203. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
05-09-2004, 07:40 PM
leafaholix*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komisarek8
Kostsitsyn's size is better then Parise's
Kostsitsyn's skills is > or = to those of Parise's

the difference was health issues and that's why he dropped a little. He would of been a top 5 pick for sure.
Kastsitsyn is clearly one of the most skilled players in the draft. From the articles and reports I've read, he's #1 in terms of offensive talent. He's definately more talented then Parise.

Old
05-09-2004, 07:40 PM
Jeffrey

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey
my top 5 last year was:
1.Michalek(i was very high on him and i was hoping for him to drop)
2.Vanek(he's a boom or bust type of prospect would have like him to drop he was in front of kostitsyn because i had the chance to watch him play)
3.Kostitsyn(He was the typical pure offensive player(like semin in 2002,Radulov 2004) with boom or bust around him, he's gamble. We got him )
4.Brown(I liked his size and speed, maybe less offensive than the others but he was my safe pick)
5. Parise ( i wanted us to draft him 1st but his size and the fact that he played about the same play as higgins dropped him on my list!)

Old
05-09-2004, 07:52 PM
didjuicythat
@m_desroches

Quote:
Originally Posted by old scotia
I think they should have took Anthony Stewart. It would have been a difficult decision to take him in the top ten. But they should have acquired an early 2nd round pick to get him.
Actually, Stewart was picked 25th overall... so an early 2nd round pick wouldn't have been enough to get him. I too thought the Habs would try to get a late 1st round pick to get a sized forward (i.e. Anthony Stewart or Brian Boyle).

Old
05-09-2004, 07:57 PM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF de Mars
Maybe I'm alone, but I'd rather see Kats develop with CSKA, a men league, than with Hamilton, with boys. The Russian league is a better league than the AHL, and I'd like Kats play there and develop for another year or two. Playing in CSKA, hopefully on their top 6, would help him develop a lot more, it would develop his skills and I think it could make him a star player. No need to mold him into another plummer in the AHL.

Whether it is a better league is debateable, but the AHL offers a lot that the Russian league can't, invaluable experience. The AHL offers Kats the time to adapt to North American culture, learn a new language, learn the North American game meanwhile play at a comparable level of competition.

Fact is, CSKA hasn't let him develop his skills because he isn't being played there. In Hamilton, Habs brass gets to keep a close eye on him, and will have Jarvis work with him with their interest in mind, not some CSKA team who is about winning and money.

Old
05-09-2004, 08:30 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash13
Whether it is a better league is debateable, but the AHL offers a lot that the Russian league can't, invaluable experience. The AHL offers Kats the time to adapt to North American culture, learn a new language, learn the North American game meanwhile play at a comparable level of competition.

Fact is, CSKA hasn't let him develop his skills because he isn't being played there. In Hamilton, Habs brass gets to keep a close eye on him, and will have Jarvis work with him with their interest in mind, not some CSKA team who is about winning and money.
Thats exactly why he should be in Hamilton next year. I 100% agree.

Learning the North American culture will be much easier with a year in Hamilton than under the harsh glare of the Montreal Hockey Media.

Old
05-09-2004, 08:48 PM
Beatnik

Send a message via MSN to Beatnik
During the draft, i liked the pick because of my gambler nature but i was a bit worried that Kast was not in the TSN top 25.

This years i saw Kastitsyn linemates at WJC, Zakharov who was the last 3rd round pick, and he impressed me a lot, so it gave me some confidence that Kast was'nt overated.

Old
05-09-2004, 09:37 PM
CH Wizard

Send a message via MSN to CH Wizard
no KAst is not overated because he has a lot of skills he is supposed to be draft at 5th but he drop becauseof medical problems at 10th that is a steal I think

Old
05-09-2004, 09:57 PM
Mooch

Send a message via MSN to Mooch
Dont know, i haven't seen him yet!!!

Old
05-09-2004, 10:15 PM
Belarus Rocket

Send a message via MSN to Belarus Rocket
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpenny
Brown is good but nothing special and Bernier i would have pass. Parise is damn good but still small when we have Koivu, Ribs, Plecks and Higgins .
Yah I know that, It's not my top 3 now, It was my top 3 last year at the time of the draft

Old
05-09-2004, 10:16 PM
Beakermania*

Lets put it this way, One year later I wouldn't trade Kats to move into the top 10 of this years draft, so yeah i think it was a good pick.

That said we will never fully know until he either develops the way we hope he will, or flames out along the way.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 05-09-2004 at 10:31 PM.
Old
05-09-2004, 10:27 PM
FF de Mars

vCash: 915
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania
Thats exactly why he should be in Hamilton next year. I 100% agree.

Learning the North American culture will be much easier with a year in Hamilton than under the harsh glare of the Montreal Hockey Media.
But I think that this «learning about the north american culture» or even north american style of hockey is overrated. Your either a good or a bad player, wether you play in North America or not, it does not matter.

Old
05-09-2004, 10:28 PM
leafaholix*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania
Lets put it this way, One year later I wouldn't trade Kats to move into the top 10 of this years draft, so yeah i think it was a good pick.

That said we will never fully know until he either develops the way we hope he will, or flames out along the way.
I bet Kastsitsyn would go in the top 5 in he were to opt out of the 2003 draft and enter the 2004 draft.

Old
05-09-2004, 10:48 PM
Jeffrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatnik
During the draft, i liked the pick because of my gambler nature but i was a bit worried that Kast was not in the TSN top 25.

This years i saw Kastitsyn linemates at WJC, Zakharov who was the last 3rd round pick, and he impressed me a lot, so it gave me some confidence that Kast was'nt overated.
BTW I read that some scouts were concerned by Zakharov because they thought his numbers were overrated because of Kastitsyn

Last edited by Jeffrey: 05-09-2004 at 11:13 PM.
Old
05-10-2004, 07:43 AM
Mike The Wall

http://www.newyorkrangers.com/team/n...ayer=Kastitsyn

look what it says on the Rangers site about him

Old
05-10-2004, 12:59 PM
Mooch

Send a message via MSN to Mooch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike The Wall
http://www.newyorkrangers.com/team/n...ayer=Kastitsyn

look what it says on the Rangers site about him
SCOUTING REPORT

A very strong skater with great acceleration … Is able to make creative plays at top speeds … A natural scorer with a dangerously hard shot … Possesses tremendous natural offensive skills … Has world class hands and is a threat to produce every time he is on the ice … Possibly the most talented player in the draft.

I wonder if this scouting report was done by the Rangers scouts.

Old
05-10-2004, 01:49 PM
Jeffrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooch
SCOUTING REPORT

A very strong skater with great acceleration … Is able to make creative plays at top speeds … A natural scorer with a dangerously hard shot … Possesses tremendous natural offensive skills … Has world class hands and is a threat to produce every time he is on the ice … Possibly the most talented player in the draft.

I wonder if this scouting report was done by the Rangers scouts.
no it's from last year CSB evalutation of all players !

Old
05-10-2004, 01:52 PM
Mr.Brownov*

Send a message via MSN to Mr.Brownov*
He has more potential than Zherdev.

Old
05-10-2004, 02:07 PM
Carbo N8

Quote:
But I think that this «learning about the north american culture» or even north american style of hockey is overrated. Your either a good or a bad player, wether you play in North America or not, it does not matter.
It matters if you can't understand what your coaches & teammates are saying to you. It matters if your 20 years old & are living in a country thousands of miles from your friends & family where you don't speak the language.

The first year in North America will be a tremendous challenge for any European rookie, skilled or not so skilled.

Old
05-10-2004, 02:30 PM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
You are being very naive. I think Jiri Dopita is a prime example. He was widely regarded as the best player in Europe, he was older, and still couldn't hack it here. Why do you think so many players go through the minors whether they are from North America or Europe. Its a learning experience, a priceless learning experience, that no matter how good of a prospect you are, you will need time to adapt. Some are further along like say a Kovalchuk, but most need some adaption time whether that is in the minors, or a major struggle in the NHL.

I don't know how old you are, but go cross the ocean, new food, new language, new league/different style, no family, no friends, NEW LIFE. Now add that to the pressure of being a top prospect, and a rookie player in Montreal. If your telling me that won't take some time and be easier in say Hamilton, then I really don't know what to say, it would blow my mind.

Old
05-10-2004, 03:29 PM
eddy

I liked it, bit of a gamble but he has a very high potential which makes it exciting to see how good he turns out.

Old
05-10-2004, 06:15 PM
bossy22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryoptix
BTW I read that some scouts were concerned by Zakharov because they thought his numbers were overrated because of Kastitsyn

As well, I read Zakharov's old man was the coach and gave his son plenty of ice time. Kasty has produced stats wise everywhere he has played with the exception on CSKA this year. Montreal has seen tapes of him and although his neutral & defensive zone play is lacking, he is highly skilled and aggressive. Might be another year or 2 from suiting up with the Habs but I think Hamilton will see him for 04.

Old
05-10-2004, 10:39 PM
leafaholix*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Brownov
I wouldn't say that.

Especially considering Zherdev was supposed to go #1 in the draft.

Old
05-10-2004, 10:53 PM
Jeffrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafaholix
I wouldn't say that.

Especially considering Zherdev was supposed to go #1 in the draft.
to be fair
Zherdev is a safer pick and more flashy but both are game breaker type of prospect IMO !

Old
05-11-2004, 01:08 AM
Russian Fan

Send a message via ICQ to Russian Fan
Quote:
Maybe I'm alone, but I'd rather see Kats develop with CSKA, a men league, than with Hamilton, with boys. The Russian league is a better league than the AHL, and I'd like Kats play there and develop for another year or two. Playing in CSKA, hopefully on their top 6, would help him develop a lot more, it would develop his skills and I think it could make him a star player. No need to mold him into another plummer in the AHL.
The problem is not the russian league itself but where he plays (CSKA) & for who he plays (Tikhonov). Those 2 things dont match very well with kids, even talented. Tikhonov is not in a place where he want to develop their kid.

If Kastsitsyn was a top 6 in the RSL, I would prefer him there but as of today, he need to come in here & escape from Tikhonov's hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Brownov
No WAY ! he got more potential than Zherdev. Zherdev is a DIAMOND waiting to be polished. Kastsitsyn got a lot of potential, dont make any mistake about it though.

Kastsitsyn could be better than Zherdev in the determination factor that could result in better overall plays but it's still to proove.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomasPlekanec
I liked Jessiman, Phaneuf and Parise. I didn't think Kastitsyn would pass through 9 picks to fall to us, so I was quite happy with our pick. Kastitsyn will be a big star for sure, think Kovalev this year with less hit, but more points in the regular season.
From what I know & what I've seen you are quite wrong on style Kastsitsyn have. What I like about Kastsitsyn is his determination, his willing to make a difference not only on the scoresheet but his way of playing a bit like Forsberg. I'm not saying Kast = Forsberg but like Peter, he love to stir things up with the ENEMIES !

Old
05-11-2004, 05:17 PM
perezhoginthebest

i think that this man is a great player. i think that his problems with his health... finally he is a good pick

Closed Thread