HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Screening the Goalie and Redirecting Shots

Old
05-21-2010, 12:50 PM
Razzmatazz

vCash: 500
Screening the Goalie and Redirecting Shots

I'm still relatively new as an ice hockey player, and not a very great skater, so when I'm going against people way out of my league during pickups, I often park myself in front of the net to screen the goalie because I can't usually keep up with people on the outside. I would like some advice on how to get into the goalie's head within the context of the rules , and how to get better at deflecting shots, and controlling the direction of the redirect, as well as getting better mobility to get out of the way so that I'm not helping the defense blocking shots.

Razzmatazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2010, 01:20 PM
BadHammy*

Here are a few good tips for this type of thing:

1) Mirror the goalie's movements. If he's on the left side of the net, stay on that side, just in front of him but don't touch him.

2) Remember that your goal is to limit his vision. To do this best, you need to make sure he can't see the shooter, keep this in mind.

3) Don't worry much about deflections as a beginner, focus on rebounds now and work on deflections and re-directs in practice.

4) Be prepared to get bruised in the slot/crease!

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2010, 02:00 PM
Hockeyfan68

The most important thing is to get in the right spot where he cannot see around you because they can lean over quite a bit to see a lane ahead of you. Usually top of the crease is best, don't go out too far from him and don't take a penalty obviously by stan ding right on him. As a general rule the closer to him the better, if he hacks at your skates with his stick you are close enough.

I am very good at screening and tipping shots, best advice for tipping shots out of the air is not to overswipe at it. use the less is more approcah, track it with your eyes and get a stick on it rather than trying to hit it.

If you wish to redirect the shot that is a matter of getting your blade on it and the direction the puck comes in determines your stick position but have your back to the goalie with your stick in front of you or to the side dpeneding on whether or not you are giving a teamate a target to hit on the ice with a shass (shot-pass). If you have screened him well you can always turn at the last moment to get your blade on it.

Don't be afraid of getting hit with the puck either because that can help you out a lot with one going in off your shinguard, butt, skate .... whatever else.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2010, 02:01 PM
Razzmatazz

Quote:
Originally Posted by donGjohnson View Post
Here are a few good tips for this type of thing:

1) Mirror the goalie's movements. If he's on the left side of the net, stay on that side, just in front of him but don't touch him.

2) Remember that your goal is to limit his vision. To do this best, you need to make sure he can't see the shooter, keep this in mind.

3) Don't worry much about deflections as a beginner, focus on rebounds now and work on deflections and re-directs in practice.

4) Be prepared to get bruised in the slot/crease!

Maybe not that new, I was looking for more specifics to take my net presence to the next level.

Side note: One of my best goals in a league game came from a combination of about everything donGjohnson just mentioned

Screened the goalie on a shot from the point, knocked on my butt by the defenseman, and from the seat of my pants, shoveled the rebound over the goalie's shoulder for the game winning goal

Razzmatazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2010, 03:08 PM
OkimLom

I, like yourself love to screen the goalie to make up for skill level. I find you need to occupy the players and goalies to be very effective. Usually when I get knocked out of the way I will go back to where I was. The players when they try to knock you out of the crease, they in turn help in the screening attempt. I also find if you can screen the goalie at the last second it helps more. I usally will come from behind the goal line and go in front of him.

You really want to get the players off their game, take a swipe at the goalie without touching him. Gets everyone thinking about protecting the front which would help getting space for your teammates to work the puck around. Everyone has a role and yours is the funnest to me. Also you get no thanks when you don't deflect it. Well, at least some of the players I play against don't thank me..

OkimLom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2010, 03:32 PM
sbkbghockey

I shouldnt give away too many secrets incase any goalies are reading but the advice so far seems good:
  • You're gonna get knocked around a bit by the goalie and D (even in a non-checking league or pickup hockey).
  • Defelecting shots takes practice and time i don't have much advice b/c it comes so naturally after so long.
  • One thing you can try if you're really good at screening the goalie some of the only clues to where the puck is, is where you're looking, if you see say the D making a D-to-D pass to set up a onetime shot, follow the puck with your eyes but turn ur head away from the D who's actually getting the puck.
  • another big one i'm not sure ppl mentioned yet is stand tall, esp if its a tall goalie this is really important.

sbkbghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2010, 04:09 PM
BadHammy*

Some more advanced tips: it's often more important to change the direction, left to right, than height. Keeping them low is fine. Tipping them in through the five-hole is very feasible in rec league level. One of my favorites is to redirect a shot through my legs and through the five-hole. Get your legs really wide apart in front of the net and work on the backhand tip.

It's very often smart to skate across, pretend like you're skating away from the goalie as you anticipate a shot coming and immediately use a quick burst of speed to get to the other side of the crease.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2010, 05:07 PM
Harv
R.I.P. Pavol.

Some tips from a goalie:

Get IN FRONT of the goalie, not off the side. This means the front of your body towards the play. Theres a fine line of where to stand. If your too far in, the goalie can get poke his head around you. If your too far out, your not going to be effective.

If your going to be in a range of where the goalie can touch you, most of them are. I'm talking nasty stuff too. My 2 favs are the blade of my stick on the runner of your skate, and a quick jab to the ''region''. Remember, the refs and fans are looking at the puck, not in front of the net.

(Before anyone jumps on me, I don't do those 'things' in adult league/rec league play. Only in college games.)

Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2010, 11:15 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harv View Post
Some tips from a goalie:

Get IN FRONT of the goalie, not off the side. This means the front of your body towards the play. Theres a fine line of where to stand. If your too far in, the goalie can get poke his head around you. If your too far out, your not going to be effective.

If your going to be in a range of where the goalie can touch you, most of them are. I'm talking nasty stuff too. My 2 favs are the blade of my stick on the runner of your skate, and a quick jab to the ''region''. Remember, the refs and fans are looking at the puck, not in front of the net.

(Before anyone jumps on me, I don't do those 'things' in adult league/rec league play. Only in college games.)
You wingnuts are all the same!!!

I mentioned that stuff above, I know you guys like a book!

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 08:18 PM
vyktor

waving or holding the blade of your stick in the goalies' field of vision will get into their heads too, you can be subtle about it and a lot of times the D won't come after you as hard if it looks like you are standing off to the side.

vyktor is offline   Reply With Quote