HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Can you appreciate the run?

Old
04-26-2010, 02:16 PM
InGusWeTrust
hockey.tk

vCash: 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieTreehorn View Post
what do people think of that? I think Yzerman will get a GM offer this summer or next at the latest and I dont think he will take a lesser teams GM offer. So if we lose Yzerman we likely lose him for good.

Push Holland up to the Devallano part of the front office and have him help Yzerman run the team if needed.

I think the rest of the NHL may have caught up to Holland. With a healthy Lidstrom I think the Wings win the Cup last year, not even considering the other goon injuries the Wings suffered last year. Still this year he refused to sign a legimate enforcer, Brad May is not legimate.

Lose Yzerman?!?!??!?!? Why on earth would you ever think like that?!?!?

InGusWeTrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 03:14 PM
Reality Check

vCash: 500
I appreciate

Detroit has already met by expectations and still may surpass it.

Too many folks are just simply spoiled by the success and expect to win every single year. And those days in professional sports are over.

Reality Check is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 03:17 PM
Fugu

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yemack View Post
IMO, Wings already showed character multiple times this season by coming this far after what they've gone through. Again, IMO, it's not about character, it's about making it happen.

And Fugu, the biggest factor Wings look stationary is because, IMO, phx are putting heavy pressure on the puck during PP. In PP, it's all about changing the angle of attack and to do that you usually need 1-2 guy circling around trying to draw attention while opening up lanes and spaces. Phx PKs are putting so much pressure in so little time that Wings are kinda afraid to handling the puck and try to play it safe by precision passing. yeah all that I pulled outta my ass but we need guys like Z and Pav circling around with puck to make it more dynamic. Just watch Phx's PowerPlay., they move around the puck without much contest from Wings and it looked just a matter of time they scored.

Phx is a very very aggressive team because they know they can execute faster and better than Wings. However Wings have better players IMO and if Howard again put on a show, and we get some luck, then all is fine.
Hmmm, sounds like you're saying the Phx really do have the better players, or they have the better coach. I'm not sure how you can have better players and get beat by execution over and over. Factor in that unlike last year's playoff run, we don't have any major injuries going on, so what's the excuse? $56m payroll out there....vs $44.7m. Oy vay.

Old
04-26-2010, 03:20 PM
Reality Check

Phoenix is also fresher and hungrier compared to Detroit.

Reality Check is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 03:25 PM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
Hmmm, sounds like you're saying the Phx really do have the better players, or they have the better coach. I'm not sure how you can have better players and get beat by execution over and over. Factor in that unlike last year's playoff run, we don't have any major injuries going on, so what's the excuse? $56m payroll out there....vs $44.7m. Oy vay.
well, with the value of the contracts they added at the deadline I think they're closer to a $53m team. If that's the number from pre-trade deadline, even that is a bit misleading considering the guys they have coming up for new contracts for next year.

04-26-2010, 03:26 PM
Fugu

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reality Check View Post
Phoenix is also fresher and hungrier compared to Detroit.
I'm leaning more to this explanation than anything else. We've examined every possible permutation, but it keeps coming back to too many games/too many miles/too many bangs & bruises over an intense 3-4 yrs... Maybe they've tuned the coach. Hunger is hard to keep up for this long too.

Old
04-26-2010, 05:57 PM
Rizzy13

out in the first round positives?

im a leaf fan but i literally love detroit, classy team, awesome players and coaching and the list goes on. I was just thinking, detroit losing in the first round could possibly be a positive in the eyes and minds of players in the back of their heads. They've played soooo many games since the lockout and before that its literally ridiculous. I guarantee these guys are walking wounded at this point... walking! im a huge zetterberg fan and hes playing awesome but doesnt anyone else feel hes just a little off (groin issues)? not to mention holmstrom and lidstrom probably having a few strains on their bodies as well. An early exit this year could possibly mean not only a deep run again next year but better overall finish (not that 100 points+ is bad ) what are your guys' thoughts on detroit exiting early? i know the players dont want and i sure as hell dont... but if it happens, it cant be too bad right?

Rizzy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 06:02 PM
r0bert8841

Send a message via AIM to r0bert8841
Quote:
Originally Posted by zecke26 View Post
this team didn't bring much excitement to me this season. it's a very strange feeling this POs. one part of me wants them to succeed, but there's a big part in me that doesn't really care. i can't say a loss in game 7 would make me sad.
Really? I found this to be the most exciting regular seasons in a while. Every game was down to the wire and every game was important. It may not have been as pretty as previous years but it was much more exciting.

r0bert8841 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 06:07 PM
Heaton
#disapointment

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
Just playing devils advocate here: Who was consistently the better team all season?

While payroll should equal better team I think we've all seen that not be the case more times than it is the case.

Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 06:08 PM
67coach

This is the time of the year you play for!!

If you want to take a year off every once in a while to recharge, go play for Calgary or Columbus!!

In a day and age where atheletes are better conditioned and stronger than ever before, I say.....SUCK IT UP, RUB SOME DIRT ON IT AND EARN YOUR PAY CHECK

67coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 06:12 PM
TheMoreYouKnow

Yeah compared to the last few years watching games in February and March was pretty meaningful this season. I think FSN Detroit's ratings for the regular season were up compared to last year as well in spite of the team doing worse.

In my mind Phoenix and the Wings are about as good as each other, the Coyotes lack the individual firepower but they play a tight, aggressive and fast style that has never suited the Wings very well. It reminds me of some of those tough series against Nashville in the past but the Wings usually pulled those out in the end. Might happen this time too but this Wings team is a bit worse than those Wings teams were as well.

TheMoreYouKnow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 06:45 PM
kuick
Tatar Sauce

we aren't out yet..

besides, the 'appreciate the run' thread is essentially covering the same topic.

edit: other thread was moved.

to answer the question: of-freaking-course I can appreciate the run. Back to back cup finals (not to mention 20 straight years...). There was a time earlier this year when half the board was saying the Wings have no shot at a playoff spot. 100 point year and nowhere close to out of it yet? I say bravo.

Last edited by kuick: 04-26-2010 at 09:11 PM.
kuick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 06:51 PM
Sadekuuro

I don't expect them to win out. But I do expect them to compete hard, and often this year they haven't. And that's when I get upset.

Sadekuuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 07:11 PM
ProPAIN
Waar is da feestje?!

I can finally sleep at normal times instead of staying up at ungodly hours. My university degree might actually benefit too.

ProPAIN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 07:35 PM
redwings85
In Ozzie I trust.

I greatly appreciate this years run, I fully expected not to make the playoffs this year... yet they pulled through and did it! So I am happy, cup or not.

redwings85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 07:41 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Can you appreciate the run?
What run? The 20-year run? The run since the Olympic break?
I don't know what you mean man.

If the Wings lose, these are going to be interesting times. Because unlike in January, when half the team was out, the Wings are healthy these days. They came into the playoffs smoking hot.

This has been a very evenly played series. I think Phoenix has done a better job forcing and capitalizing on mistakes. But even if we lost, we still have the makings of a solid team (not sure we're top 5 or top 6 in the league). But the problem is that our core is aging, and it's really been awhile now since we introduced a Datsyuk or Zetterberg. Or even someone of Flip or Hudler's caliber.

The big question, as everyone knows, will be on defense. Win or lose, Lidstrom may or may not be back. Even if he's back, he's slipping subtantially every season. Rafalski, Stuart and Kronwall are a fairly decent top 3. Stuart is ideally a 4 guy. Rafalski ideally a 2 guy. Much will depend on whether Kronwall has more to give, and whether Ericsson steps up and develops.

We'll see a ton of knee jerk reactions if the Wings lose tomorrow.
If Stuart screws up, the Stuart haters will blame him. if Rafalski screws up, I'll lambaste the guy. If Howard screws up, HiHD will criticize Babcock for not having Ozzie ready.

We all know how that nonsense plays out.

Truth is, if you're talking about the post olympic run, there's not much to apprecaite. It was neat, I suppose. But whatever. It wasn't even that dramatic down the stretch.

If you're talking about the stretch that date backs to the Bryan Murray days, then how can a Wings fan not appreciate that?

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote