HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Maroon practicing w/ Richards Line; Leighton practicing (as per Twitter)

Old
04-27-2010, 03:13 PM
jb**

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
I highly doubt having Marron out there instead of Kalinski is having a higher risk
Why isnt it a higher risk? You have a guy who isnt that greta defensivley and never played an nhl game before vs. someone who is goo defensively and has played in the nhl(whle also doing a good job in his role).

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 03:14 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
Why isnt it a higher risk? You have a guy who isnt that greta defensivley and never played an nhl game before vs. someone who is goo defensively and has played in the nhl(whle also doing a good job in his role).
Was having Laliberte out there a big risk? Like did he literally **** up so bad that they almost scored off of it? O only watched some of the game, but the the comments no.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 03:16 PM
BringBackStevens

Quote:
Was having Laliberte out there a big risk?
And why are you trying to equate Laliberte and Maroon as equals? If you want to take the safer player due to skating ability, defensive awareness, and experience you would easily take Laliberte.

It's not a difficult concept.

This coming from someone who lakes Patty Maroon.

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 03:17 PM
DUHockey9

Quote:
I highly doubt having Marron out there instead of Kalinski is having a higher risk
Really?

It seems pretty obvious to me. I'm not saying there's A LOT of risk. I'm just saying tehre might be some.

You have the option of giving a prospect 5 minutes of playing time. Who is more likely to royally mess up?

Player A) Skilled player, with fantastic hands, and average to below average skating ability. Has never played an NHL game, let alone an NHL Playoff game. Superior offensive player.

Player B) Grinding, bottom 6 player. Very good skater. Plays an effective bottom 6 role. Has played 22 games at the NHL.

When I talk risk I'm saying...we're pinned in our own end on a long shift. Ovechkin - Backstrom - Knuble - Green and whomever their other defenseman may be are out there. Are you telling me you REALLY don't think it's safer that Jon Kalinski be stuck out there rather than Pat Maroon? Because again, we're talking 5 minutes of ice time. I'm much more concerned with NOT messing up, than possibly helping Richards offensively for the 5 or 6 shifts he might have with him.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 03:19 PM
jb**

Quote:
Was having Laliberte out there a big risk? Like did he literally **** up so bad that they almost scored off of it? O only watched some of the game, but the the comments no.
I am not talking about laliberte and he is orrelevent to what you said. Comparing what laliberte did to what Maroon may do is apples and oranges. Just because laliberte didnt make any bad decisions doesnt mean maroon wont. So again how is it not a bigger risk to play maroron over kalinski.

Old
04-27-2010, 03:22 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inebriator View Post
And why are you trying to equate Laliberte and Maroon as equals? If you want to take the safer player due to skating ability, defensive awareness, and experience you would easily take Laliberte.

It's not a difficult concept.

This coming from someone who lakes Patty Maroon.

Your kidding right? I watched over half the the AHL games. Laliberte's defensive awareness is overrated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
Really?

It seems pretty obvious to me. I'm not saying there's A LOT of risk. I'm just saying tehre might be some.

You have the option of giving a prospect 5 minutes of playing time. Who is more likely to royally mess up?

Player A) Skilled player, with fantastic hands, and average to below average skating ability. Has never played an NHL game, let alone an NHL Playoff game. Superior offensive player.

Player B) Grinding, bottom 6 player. Very good skater. Plays an effective bottom 6 role. Has played 22 games at the NHL.

When I talk risk I'm saying...we're pinned in our own end on a long shift. Ovechkin - Backstrom - Knuble - Green and whomever their other defenseman may be are out there. Are you telling me you REALLY don't think it's safer that Jon Kalinski be stuck out there rather than Pat Maroon? Because again, we're talking 5 minutes of ice time. I'm much more concerned with NOT messing up, than possibly helping Richards offensively for the 5 or 6 shifts he might have with him.
First of all, Kalinski's skating ablility is so overrated it's getting crazy. If anything, the dude falls alot from the games I saw (AHL and NHL).

I just dont see a problem with it. I dont remember Jared Ross getting *****ed at last season in playoffs, and he is small as hell. Maroon playing one game isnt going to be a problem. If Maroon can't take 1 time being out there against OV, he should just stay in the AHL. I think the management likes what they see from him. He isnt the best skater, but he isnt no Leino.

If he plays one game an completely ****s up, fine, go and bring someone else up. If he is the reason we lose, this team as some MAJOR ****ing problems.

Old
04-27-2010, 03:24 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
I am not talking about laliberte and he is orrelevent to what you said. Comparing what laliberte did to what Maroon may do is apples and oranges. Just because laliberte didnt make any bad decisions doesnt mean maroon wont. So again how is it not a bigger risk to play maroron over kalinski.
Maroon =/> Laliberte. I have watched them played over 40+ games this season. Laliberte FED off of Matsumoto and, at the time, hurt Maroon. Lalibete might be a slightly better skater, but Maroon is great along the boards and can score. This has 0 to do with Kalinski. The 5 minutes that they both will play will make no difference to the game

So again, was Laliberte a risk?

Old
04-27-2010, 03:30 PM
jb**

Quote:
Maroon =/> Laliberte. I have watched them played over 40+ games this season. Laliberte FED off of Matsumoto and, at the time, hurt Maroon. Lalibete might be a slightly better skater, but Maroon is great along the boards and can score. This has 0 to do with Kalinski. The 5 minutes that they both will play will make no difference to the game

So again, was Laliberte a risk?
Who cares if he feed off of him, what does that have to do with anything. How did it hurt maroon? The fact that maroon didnt feed off of him then says what to you then?Laliberte could score but maroon couldnt, yeah that is a knock on laliberte. Maroon isnt that great along the boards either, he is ok.

So now your changing the question and asking if laliberte was a risk? Define what you mean by " was laliberte a risk"? I would have not dressed him and had kalinski. If my options where marroon and laliberte i take laliberte. I will bet maroon doesnt even dress in game 1 and depending on who they play not at all.

The 5 minutes they play can make a huge difference. To say it wont is flat out incorrect. so if maroon makes 2 bonehead plays that lead to goals in his 5 minutes, how is that not ahuge difference?

Old
04-27-2010, 03:32 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Who cares if he feed off of him, what does that have to do with anything. How did it hurt maroon? The fact that maroon didnt feed off of him then says what to you then?Laliberte could score but maroon couldnt, yeah that is a knock on laliberte. Maroon isnt that great along the boards either, he is ok.

So now your changing the question and asking if laliberte was a risk? Define what you mean by " was laliberte a risk"? I would have not dressed him and had kalinski. If my options where marroon and laliberte i take laliberte. I will bet maroon doesnt even dress in game 1 and depending on who they play not at all.
Why?

The question isnt that hard dude. "Was Laliberte a risk, when he played the 5 minutes against the Devils"

Old
04-27-2010, 03:33 PM
DUHockey9

I'm a fan of Maroon but I still don't get it.

The objective of the player coming in is to play a handful of minutes so the other guys on the team can get a quick breather, so he can be replaced ASAP byt the superior players in the lineup. The objective is to quite simply, not mess up.

Old
04-27-2010, 03:35 PM
jb**

Quote:
Why?

The question isnt that hard dude. "Was Laliberte a risk, when he played the 5 minutes against the Devils"
Ok dude as i have said numerous times. Laliberte is a better player than maroon right now today. What part dont you get? He was a less a risk than maroon.

Old
04-27-2010, 03:36 PM
BringBackStevens

Quote:
Your kidding right? I watched over half the the AHL games. Laliberte's defensive awareness is overrated.
I never said that he has great defensive awareness, but he has played some games up here at the NHL level for us before and not burned us. That's important when you are dipping into AHL call ups.

Quote:
First of all, Kalinski's skating ablility is so overrated it's getting crazy. If anything, the dude falls alot from the games I saw (AHL and NHL).
If you don't realize that Kalinski played great for us up here last year, then I don't know what to tell you.

Quote:
I just dont see a problem with it. I dont remember Jared Ross getting *****ed at last season in playoffs, and he is small as hell. Maroon playing one game isnt going to be a problem.
He had played in the NHL before, had more experience under his belt, and didn't have skating question marks looming over his head.

Quote:
If Maroon can't take 1 time being out there against OV, he should just stay in the AHL.
What point are you trying to make here? That's precisely what people are arguing for...

Quote:
I think the management likes what they see from him. He isnt the best skater, but he isnt no Leino.
People don't think that Game 1 of the second round is the time for experiments, and I tend to agree. And Leino is probably right on Maroon's skating level but has already had previous playoff success and isn't that bad defensively.

Quote:
If he plays one game an completely ****s up, fine, go and bring someone else up. If he is the reason we lose, this team as some MAJOR ****ing problems.
Or, why not just not take the risk at all and go with a player who has proven to be competent at the NHL level. What happens if Maroon screws up in a tied game and it turns out to be the GWG? Was it worth it? Its a pretty simple answer..

Old
04-27-2010, 03:38 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Ok dude as i have said numerous times. Laliberte is a better player than maroon right now today. What part dont you get? He was a less a risk than maroon.
How is he? All you saying is he is. Like does Laliberte bring, in the 5 minutes of play he is going to get, that Maroon wouldnt bring?

Old
04-27-2010, 03:41 PM
BringBackStevens

Quote:
How is he? All you saying is he is. Like does Laliberte bring, in the 5 minutes of play he is going to get, that Maroon wouldnt bring?
What you aren't getting through your thick skull is that you can't say what Laliberte would or would not bring over Maroon at the NHL level, because Maroon is a total unknown at the NHL level. That's why its a risk, which is exactly what numerous people have already pointed out in this thread.

Old
04-27-2010, 03:45 PM
donnieb

Everybody is acting like Kalinski is a NHL veteran he played 22 games in the regular season. He has NEVER played in the playoffs before. It is alot different than regular season. There is no bigger risk between the two, it's not like he's going to cough up goals, there's alot bigger upside he can have than Kalinski. Calling Maroon a risk and Kalinski not one give me a break, I've watched the two enough to know that Maroon deserves a shot.

Kalinski playoff games 0
Maroon playoff games 0

donnieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 03:52 PM
BringBackStevens

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnieb View Post
Everybody is acting like Kalinski is a NHL veteran he played 22 games in the regular season. He has NEVER played in the playoffs before. It is alot different than regular season. There is no bigger risk between the two, it's not like he's going to cough up goals, there's alot bigger upside he can have than Kalinski. Calling Maroon a risk and Kalinski not one give me a break, I've watched the two enough to know that Maroon deserves a shot.

Kalinski playoff games 0
Maroon playoff games 0
That was a very convincing argument you made. Thank you. Some solid logic too.

Good job pointing out the large difference between the NHL playoffs and regular season, while at the same time completely ignoring the vastly larger gap between AHL hockey and NHL playoff hockey.

You are also completely ignoring the type of player the Flyers should be filling in on their roster right now, and quite obviously Maroon and Kalinski are different types of hockey players.

Old
04-27-2010, 03:53 PM
DUHockey9

Quote:

Kalinski playoff games 0
Maroon playoff games 0
A lot bigger upside in 5 minutes? If we are relying on our AHL callup and 12th forward to be producing offensively we already lost.

There absolutely IS a risk. I will say it again. This player's job is to NOT MESS UP. To give the other players a quick rest, so that they can get back out there. That is it.

And 22 games in the NHL, where you effectively do your job is a lot. There is zero reason to believe he won't be able to to at least approach that same level of play. You can't say the same for Maroon. He hasn't even seen the speed at which the NHL game is played.

Old
04-27-2010, 03:54 PM
Jester

Quote:
He played 5.32, took a penalty, and was never really involved in the play.

As said, I would prefer dressing Bartulis under that scenario and having cover if a D gets hurt, but if we're talking 5 minutes, give me an energy bottom 6 guy.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 03:56 PM
donnieb

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inebriator View Post
What you aren't getting through your thick skull is that you can't say what Laliberte would or would not bring over Maroon at the NHL level, because Maroon is a total unknown at the NHL level. That's why its a risk, which is exactly what numerous people have already pointed out in this thread.
Everyone can stop using the word risk, how many goals do you think he's actually going to give up. Flyer coaches aren't going to look at him as being a risk, they look at his upside like the fact he has good hands and he's 6'4 225. He may be a good presence around the net being that big, that's why you have to give him a chance.

Old
04-27-2010, 03:57 PM
Jester

Quote:
If he's playing on Richards' wing, against the lines Richards plays against...it's absolutely a higher risk. You have Kalinski at the end of your bench, it isn't to play with Richards. Whoever we call up...shouldn't be thought of as a solution for Richards' wing, given that he plays the hardest minutes on the team for a forward.

Old
04-27-2010, 04:00 PM
Jester

Quote:
Everyone can stop using the word risk, how many goals do you think he's actually going to give up. Flyer coaches aren't going to look at him as being a risk, they look at his upside like the fact he has good hands and he's 6'4 225.
...how many goals would have to be scored on him before the risk would be too much? 1? 2? 3?

Quote:
He may be a good presence around the net being that big, that's why you have to give him a chance.
Then why, exactly, hasn't he been given that chance yet?

I hope Maroon makes it, I've liked his skill when I've watched AHL games. I am not convinced, however, that he can make it at the NHL level yet...and I'm not all that interested in finding out in the playoffs.

Old
04-27-2010, 04:00 PM
BringBackStevens

Quote:
Everyone can stop using the word risk, how many goals do you think he's actually going to give up. Flyer coaches aren't going to look at him as being a risk, they look at his upside like the fact he has good hands and he's 6'4 225. He may be a good presence around the net being that big, that's why you have to give him a chance.
If he's on the ice in offensive situations and subsequently against other team's scoring options, then potentially a lot? I don't know, no one knows, because the effing dude has never played in the NHL. That's what a risk is...

Old
04-27-2010, 04:05 PM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
I hope Maroon makes it, I've liked his skill when I've watched AHL games. I am not convinced, however, that he can make it at the NHL level yet...and I'm not all that interested in finding out in the playoffs.
Agreed. Besides, if the latest tidbits are true and Lappy is out with surgery on his eye, we'll need someone who can do PK work vs. a scorer anyway, which favours Kalinski or Nodl (and yes, I know you hate Nodl) over Maroon or Laliberte.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 04:06 PM
bennysflyers16

vCash: 50
Does anyone know the 2 start times if we play Wash. or Boston ?

bennysflyers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 04:07 PM
donnieb

A young defenseman like Subban last night for the Habs was a risk, because he plays defense. A 12th forward isn't going to be worried about. He'll be no more of a risk than Laliberte. A risk hahaha I've never heard a 12th forward called that before. If he causes goals Laviollete will end the Maroon experiment pretty quick, he's only there until Gagne gets back which will most likely be for game 3.