HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

We need to discuss something - all referee discussion here

Old
05-06-2010, 09:41 PM
Lucius

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Joker View Post
I agree.

We got very good referring in Game 7 against the Caps. If not for that, I'd still think that "the fix is in".

But it just seems to be a matter of horrifically incompetent referring on some nights.
Yes and no.

Game 7 is why I say it's incompetent, not rigged. Rigged, they wouldn't have disallowed that goal.

But did anyone ever see O'Byrne's penalty with two minutes left?

I mean... Read that NBA ref's book about the rigged NBA. Frankly, I buy it (especially since the FBI confirms he won 80% of his bets on such a huge sample size as to be statistically impossible without inside info). And these playoffs are making me wonder if the NHL doesn't have the same issue.

Not necessarily that the refs wanted Washington to win. I think they called that game fair. But I do think they make calls to ensure tight games.

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 09:55 PM
Poulet Kostopoulos

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
The leagues reputation will be called into question one day. There are too many games where the refing to one team is wholly inconsistent and blatently in favour of another team. This isn't a single blown call but a series of calls against one team with none against the other. Somthing is wrong here, truly wrong.
I hope so but who's gonna make that call? The players? The coach? Not them because they won't bite the hands that feed them. And anyone in this league questioning about the officiating is subject to be fined or punished otherwise by the league.

The league functions like a monarchy, with Bettman at the top. Who's gonna launch an investigation against the king? Besides, where's the proof?

Also, the refs hide behind mediocrity as an excuse -- "this is nothing new; it has always been that bad."

The only way this stinking affair gets exposed is if a ref or former ref decides to become a whistleblower (no pun intended).

Poulet Kostopoulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 09:58 PM
BlancHabs

Don cherry on reffs/crosby

I heard he was talking about the reffing and crosby during one of the intermissions.
Does anyone know what was said or have a video of it?
Thread can be deleted whenever necessary.
Thanks

BlancHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 09:58 PM
Belso

let them know what you think.. leave them a note. I will...

http://www.nhlofficials.com/contact.asp

Belso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 10:07 PM
Lucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by dysonlu View Post
I hope so but who's gonna make that call? The players? The coach? Not them because they won't bite the hands that feed them. And anyone in this league questioning about the officiating is subject to be fined or punished otherwise by the league.

The league functions like a monarchy, with Bettman at the top. Who's gonna launch an investigation against the king? Besides, where's the proof?

Also, the refs hide behind mediocrity as an excuse -- "this is nothing new; it has always been that bad."

The only way this stinking affair gets exposed is if a ref or former ref decides to become a whistleblower (no pun intended).
It'll take a Tim Donaghy.

But if any of the things happening in the NBA are happening in the NHL... and frankly, I would not be slightly surprised...

The NHL should learn from the NBA and fix it now.

Old
05-06-2010, 10:08 PM
habtastic

I don't have a video of it, but I was shocked. I was like, what did they do with Don Cherry. I think it was THAT absurd (and that was only one period mind you), that even Cherry was like WTF. I think his chat with Dick Irvin Jr. (one of the greatest people on earth) last game made him at least not anti-Hab, so he was calling what was so so blatant. Man, imagine a Boston-Montreal showdown. We thought it nothing more than wishful thinking at the start of the playoffs, now all we have to do is pull off miracle pt II to make it happen.

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 10:10 PM
Poulet Kostopoulos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Joker View Post
I agree.

We got very good referring in Game 7 against the Caps. If not for that, I'd still think that "the fix is in".

But it just seems to be a matter of horrifically incompetent referring on some nights.
Game 7 is actually the LAST place you would see a biased officiating. Think about it. That would be all too obvious.

If Game 7 was fixed and Habs (or whoever) lose due to the fixing, it will be talked about for weeks and months -- it would generate a lot (too much) of noise. But in an earlier game, it's less big a deal because it's not series-ending and people will forget after game 5, 6 or 7.

Last edited by Poulet Kostopoulos: 05-06-2010 at 10:18 PM.
Old
05-06-2010, 10:11 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

He was talking about how the habs were getting the short end of the stick and basically ran a hilite pack in which the pens scored their goals on plays that should have resulted in penalties.

You know its bad when the "hab lover" Don Cherry is showing how the habs are getting the short end of the stick

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 10:38 PM
bobsURuncle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belso View Post
let them know what you think.. leave them a note. I will...

http://www.nhlofficials.com/contact.asp

Thank you for the link...i had to give my 2 cents
the officiating was just terrible...i'm sooo glad we won

go habs go

bobsURuncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 10:54 PM
DashingCanadien*

DashingCanadien* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 11:59 PM
EurOConnEcton

Well the whole world saw it boys.... hell we had don cherry on our side, were all clearly not crazy. That first period was prob the worst officiating i have seen in a while it reminds me of the days when i had tournaments in hick town and the refs were all french separatist, since we were a anglo team well we all kno what happens cuz of that. Now we can relate this too habs being a Canadian team, and Bettman favoring development of hockey in states and specifically Pittsburgh.

EurOConnEcton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 12:11 AM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

Anyone have/make a video/youtube compilation of Game 4 non-calls?

If not, then one deserves to be made to exist for all of time on Youtube to prove to the world the sketchiness of NHL reffing

Here is a nice list to start with... starting from the Suban trip 3 1/2 minutes in....

1st Period:

16:37 Subban tripped no call

14:54 Crosby trips Hamrlik no call

14:42 Puck kicked in, best replay is the one after they go upstairs (RDS) shows clear kicking motion

5:42 Kostitsyn mauled no call

2nd period:

13:38 Malkin trips Kostitsyn no call

8:37 Orpik jumps into Plekanec no call

5:48 Subban tripped no call

3rd period:

18:45 Crosby slashing no call

15:33 Gionta crossed checked by Orpik no call

14:45 Questionable boarding call on Gionta

13:34 Moore cross checked by Gonchar no call

11:38 Gomez held by Leopold no call

11:11 ******** call on Darche tripping

2:31 Obstruction on Moen by Goligoski no call

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 01:04 AM
anctilndg

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam19 View Post
They are executing orders.
It comes from the top: fire Bettman.
Operation Sindey is in full effect

anctilndg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 01:14 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
It'll take a Tim Donaghy.

But if any of the things happening in the NBA are happening in the NHL... and frankly, I would not be slightly surprised...

The NHL should learn from the NBA and fix it now.
And to think Bettman was commi for the NBA before coming to the NHL...

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 01:15 AM
nORRis8*

New York Times article officiating

MONTREAL — There is still magic this postseason for the Montreal Canadiens.

Shaun Best/Reuters
The Canadiens' Maxim Lapierre, left, after tying the score with a goal early in the third period.

Go to the Slap Shot BlogThey were down by 2-1, outshot by 25-9 and thoroughly outplayed by the defending Stanley Cup champion Pittsburgh Penguins over two periods on Thursday. But then the ghosts or the mystique or whatever it is that has propelled the Canadiens to unexpected glory this spring took over.

Just 2 minutes 7 seconds into the third period, Maxim Lapierre twirled 270 degrees behind the Penguins’ net and beat goalie Marc-Andre Fleury to tie the score. Only 93 seconds later, Brian Gionta’s centering pass bounced into the Pittsburgh net off the leg of Penguins defenseman Kris Letang.

Then the Canadiens’ improbable postseason hero, goalie Jaroslav Halak, robbed Sidney Crosby at the side of the net on a power-play chance with 10 minutes left and Evgeni Malkin on a breakaway with four minutes to go. And as the Penguins tried desperately to tie the score in the last minute, Halak cleared the zone himself.

“We have nothing to lose because we’re not even supposed to be here,” said Halak, whose goalkeeping helped the Canadiens stun Washington, the N.H.L.’s top team, in the first round. “No one gave us a chance to go through the first round and right now, even in the second, people thought we’d lose four straight. But here we are.”

The series is tied at two games apiece and continues in Pittsburgh on Saturday.

What happened in the Canadiens’ dressing room during that second intermission? Did Jacques Martin, the usually laconic coach, deliver a paint-peeling speech?

“He had a little fire to him, but he picked up on the mood of the whole team,” Montreal defenseman Hal Gill said. “We all knew it wasn’t good enough, that we had taken two periods off, and we had to put it together in the third. Jacques said it, but we were all thinking it.”

Martin also showed fire on the bench, complaining about baffling officiating from the referees Paul Devorski and Eric Furlatt.

Their calls came in the wake of a debate that had broken out overnight in the Montreal sports media over whether Crosby was a crybaby and was receiving preferential treatment.

Devorski, Furlatt and their two linesmen got in the way of pucks four times during the game, once leading to a breakaway chance for Crosby. But what really raised the ire of the sellout Bell Centre crowd was what happened leading up to the first-period goal that made the score 2-1 for Pittsburgh.

With Gill off for holding, Crosby clamped down on the stick of Canadiens defenseman Roman Hamrlik with a borderline slash that was not called. Hamrlik fell to the ice.

Boos were still resounding when Crosby’s pass bounced off Chris Kunitz’s skate and into the net at 5:18 of the period. The goal survived a long video review, and the Penguins had the lead.

It got worse for the officiating crew later in the period, when Penguins defenseman Mark Eaton was not called for reaching out and hitting Andrei Kostitsyn high.

At the end of the period, Gill was called for breaking Crosby’s stick in half, an obvious slash but one that resembled Crosby’s play on Hamrlik. It did not help that Crosby held up his hands imploringly for the officials, and the fans booed the player they were now convinced was a crybaby.
Mathieu Darche, who dressed for Game 3 but did not play a single shift, skated for 8:12 and assisted on Lapierre’s goal.

“We were worried too much about the refs at first,” Darche said. “When you have 22,000 people screaming at them, they don’t need us screaming at them.”

Crosby put five shots on Halak and had an assist but failed to score for a fifth straight game. Did he feel that he would put one in soon?

“I think you always feel like that, whether I have eight goals at this point or whether I have none,” Crosby said. “Honestly, I wouldn’t change what I’m doing out there. You just try to make sure you’re doing your part.”

SLAP SHOTS

nORRis8* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 01:18 AM
nORRis8*

I'm a Bruins fan and I should be cheering when something happens bad for the Habs, but I thought the officiating was absolute crap and these 4 clowns shouldn't work any games ever.

Plus:
Make the world a safer place
Punch Matt Cooke in the face.

nORRis8* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 01:20 AM
m00ks

The backlash is impressive and being scrutinized by all members of the media. Game 5 will be interesting to see if calls will tilt to Montreal's favor.

m00ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 01:22 AM
Lucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by nORRis8 View Post
I'm a Bruins fan and I should be cheering when something happens bad for the Habs, but I thought the officiating was absolute crap and these 4 clowns shouldn't work any games ever.

Plus:
Make the world a safer place
Punch Matt Cooke in the face.
Haha - I will say, if the Pens do defeat us... My one consolation will be watching the gong show of revenge the Bruins put on Cooke. Just be sure to get him in game one, or he'll be able to Sean Avery you guys out of the playoffs.

That said, a Bruins/Habs Eastern Conference Final has a nice ring, eh? Old school.

Old
05-07-2010, 02:54 AM
Pfloyd77

i don't think that you can blame the refs for the non call on subban that led to the first goal...as a ref it's difficult to see everything that goes on, especially something as sneaky as grabbing a players foot after diving to block a shot. It was a smart move by fedotenko, and many hockey players will do that sort of thing if they think they can get away with it...you have to be on the perfect angle to see it and i don't think i've ever seen a player do that before either so it's not something that refs are trained to keep an eye on.

Pfloyd77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 03:55 AM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

Shhesh when the Toronto media is on the Habs' side you know the refs were bad:

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/hoc.../13856231.html

JLP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 07:32 AM
Galchenyuk x 27

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by pam19 View Post
Every media is saying the referees favored the Pens.
Everyone of them.
Not only in Montreal.

HNIC...

Toronto National post:

Globe and Mail:

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette:

When it is that unanimous, there is some adjustment to be done.
Crosby is manipulating referees like they are puppets.

Not only that, if the referees keeps rigging the game, they might have some serious problems with some gamblers.

Meanwhile Bettman is doing everything he can to keep teams in US and prevent them to come to Canada.

Yet Pens fans still say we are little *****es and the refs were fair lol...powerplays were only 4 - 2 for them!

Galchenyuk x 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 07:40 AM
DashingCanadien*

8 Missed calls... Team 990 just announced them all...

How does 4 ft gionta "board" orpik.. what a joke.. diver.

DashingCanadien* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 08:45 AM
Poulet Kostopoulos

Quote:
Originally Posted by citylife View Post
If not, then one deserves to be made to exist for all of time on Youtube to prove to the world the sketchiness of NHL reffing

Here is a nice list to start with... starting from the Suban trip 3 1/2 minutes in....

1st Period:

16:37 Subban tripped no call

14:54 Crosby trips Hamrlik no call

14:42 Puck kicked in, best replay is the one after they go upstairs (RDS) shows clear kicking motion

5:42 Kostitsyn mauled no call

2nd period:

13:38 Malkin trips Kostitsyn no call

8:37 Orpik jumps into Plekanec no call

5:48 Subban tripped no call

3rd period:

18:45 Crosby slashing no call

15:33 Gionta crossed checked by Orpik no call

14:45 Questionable boarding call on Gionta

13:34 Moore cross checked by Gonchar no call

11:38 Gomez held by Leopold no call

11:11 ******** call on Darche tripping

2:31 Obstruction on Moen by Goligoski no call
Bump.

Someone please make a video compilation of this.

Old
05-07-2010, 08:48 AM
Roots73

I saw the ref on the left break out a folding chair on Mike Fisher in game 6 versus the Sens last round. Seriously, we got no chance.

Roots73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 08:55 AM
BJG

How about the New York Times?

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/07/sp...tml?ref=hockey

It's an international incident!

BJG is offline   Reply With Quote