HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Will Frolov be re-signed?

View Poll Results: Will Frolov be re-signed?
Yes 36 29.03%
No 88 70.97%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Old
04-28-2010, 08:00 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

vCash: 500
I think you raised a very valid point Sark and that is will Frolov re acquire his game while playing for the Kings and that isn't going to happen. Absolutely not under TM so unless AF is willing to sign for $3mill or so he will be gone.

I hope he does find his game again with another team but when you consider that he wants a pretty solid raise (wether he deserves it or not), under TM's system Frolov simply wont be worth the money he will get elsewhere.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 08:04 PM
Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I bet u trade me

Send a message via AIM to Cutty Sarkn3ss*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
I think you raised a very valid point Sark and that is will Frolov re acquire his game while playing for the Kings and that isn't going to happen. Absolutely not under TM so unless AF is willing to sign for $3mill or so he will be gone.

I hope he does find his game again with another team but when you consider that he wants a pretty solid raise (wether he deserves it or not), under TM's system Frolov simply wont be worth the money he will get elsewhere.
He'll be great on a system like Detroit, I have NO DOUBTS about that.

Cutty Sarkn3ss* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 08:07 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Yep but will he recapture his scoring touch and start potting in the 30 goals per range, that's my question.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 08:23 PM
Brodie562

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutty Sarkn3ss View Post
SRSLY BRO, You nailed it . . ******

I don't like Frolov because he's supposed to be a shooter, yet does ineffective wraparounds, fails miserably on shot outs and breakaways and half ***** getting to the puck. When he gets to the puck, yes, his puck possession skills are second to none . . but that's about it. His playoff stint was less then lackluster. . He will be easily replaced.

But there's hope for you Frolov loverboys, he'll play on a team he actually likes playing on and thrive (I.E. Detroit). Frolov ISN'T going to take his game to the next level on this team.

I know most of you won't agree with me but you never agreed with me in how I see the Kings (I.E. lack of grit, Brown's amazing dives and the mental side of the game) so it will be nothing new.
hahah he called you BRO and ****** He's cool.

I've never known Frolov to be a SHOOTER, he has a good shot but he hardly uses it one of the gripes i have about his game. He looks to pass a bit too much but i could live with an unselfish player. it bothers me less then a stupid player (Jones, Ivanans etc.) pair him with a shooter like say a Cammalleri and hes good.

that he fails at shootouts, meh. still hate the shootouts all its done is hand out point to teams that maybe shouldn't have got them (US, we were not a 100 pt team this year). he is decent at breakaways, is gonna score on everyone he gets no. who does?? Lackluster? 1-3-4 in 6 games lackluster? ok. and easily replaced the way Cammalleri was right? POS was supposed to do that and what happen to him? Williams you say well how many games did he play?

Brodie562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 08:32 PM
Brodie562

Quote:
FYI, I've never been "fickle" about Frolov, I wanted him traded 2 seasons ago, just like I've never been "fickle" about Dustin Brown.
fair enough, other poster that use the "fro-loaf" term still piss me the f off.

about him getting opportunities, this last year i cant say he was. i recall him getting scratched, benched and called out for mistakes. when Brown, Kopitar, Doughty and JONES made similar mistakes nothing!

Old
04-28-2010, 08:38 PM
Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I bet u trade me

Send a message via AIM to Cutty Sarkn3ss*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie562 View Post
hahah he called you BRO and ****** He's cool.

Cutty Sarkn3ss* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 08:44 PM
Brodie562

haha thats cute, really it is. not being sarcastic at all.

Old
04-28-2010, 08:58 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
Not that I advocate giving Frolov 5M, but that would probably be a better allocation of CAP space than Williams at 3.5M.
Assuming Williams is on the team. I can see Dean dumping him for a pick at the draft. Dude should play hockey in a suit of armor.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 11:24 PM
kingpest19

Quote:
SRSLY BRO, You nailed it . . ******

I don't like Frolov because he's supposed to be a shooter, yet does ineffective wraparounds, fails miserably on shot outs and breakaways and half ***** getting to the puck. When he gets to the puck, yes, his puck possession skills are second to none . . but that's about it. His playoff stint was less then lackluster. . He will be easily replaced.

But there's hope for you Frolov loverboys, he'll play on a team he actually likes playing on and thrive (I.E. Detroit). Frolov ISN'T going to take his game to the next level on this team.

I know most of you won't agree with me but you never agreed with me in how I see the Kings (I.E. lack of grit, Brown's amazing dives and the mental side of the game) so it will be nothing new.
Hes really never been a shooter and no matter how much people would like him to be thats not his game.

And no he wont easily be replaced. I love how that gets said about every player that leaves yet doesnt happen. Who is going to easily replace him?

You are right he wont reach the next level on this team. That has a lot to do with him being asked by the staff to play a roll other than a scorer. Fact is he can still be a valuable part of this team.

kingpest19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2010, 01:55 AM
Hollywood

Unfortunately this team never viewed him in the same light as Brown and kopitar and went out and got players that would be designed to make him more successful. Frolov can be a dominant NHL player. We dropped the ball on him two years ago....

Hollywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2010, 09:54 AM
Kingler

It will be tough to resign Frolov. IMO he won't take a paycut. His salary in his last year is $4m. So that would be a starting point of any negotiation. He is probably worth the $4m but I don't think Dean will go for that

If you take his $4m and add O'Donnell $1.2m then they can get a very good dman. Maybe a Hamhuis plus leftover money...that's just way too tempting for Dean

Kingler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2010, 11:13 AM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by deano View Post
I think that Fro will be willing to give up some salary to stay here. He's a serviceable 2nd liner, or a dynamic 3rd line winger. His real value to fit into a top team's salary structure is around 3.4 - 4 max. His pay scale should the that of a 20+ goal scorer on a good team. He could probably get 5 mil+ from a crappier team, desperate to get good players, but why would you do that to yourself after finally experiencing a season on a good hockey team. Your team, the only NHL team you've ever been on?

The big question is if Lombardi see himself giving Fro a contract of any decent length of time, regardless of dollar amount? Williams contract is up after next season, and he is getting 3.5 and playing on the first line for most part. Handzus, Simmonds, Doughty, Johnson and Moller will also be due new contracts.

I think Fro will make an effort to stay, but my faith in Lombardi to re sign him is less than comforting.
Don't you think Frolov's production would soar if he got first line time with Mr Kopitar? Don't you think he could outperform Williams in that role? I do.
Frolov's lack of production is a direct result of TM's determination to turn him into a 3rd line puck possession player.

If you want an employee to perform well you need to define their role clearly. Is/was Frolov a third liner puck possession grinder (which it seems is what TM wants from him) or is he a top six scoring forward who can slash to the net shoot or dish and create scoring opportunities? At times it seems TM and many fans want both, and that is unrealistic from a third liner. Frolov has performed at the level that was appropriate for the position he was placed in. How many third liners score 30 goals, and are as defensively responsible as he is?

Do you have any idea at any level how hard it is to generate offense from the boards? Now jump to the NHL where defenders don't just forget their assignments (JACKASSES excepted). Dynamic offense comes from movement from side to side, down low to up high and back combined with or slashing(cutting) through lanes toward the net, not stuck to the boards on a puck possession cycle. Yes that can work, but Frolov went from being the former to the later because TM mandated that system, and it will now cost Frolov, in dollars and cents, and maybe a move to a new team as well.

I dont think the Kings will offer him anymore than 3 million a season, if that, which is a serious underpayment for his skills.

Thanks Alex. Good luck wherever you land. I hope your skills are utilized and appreciated more on whichever team you play next season.

DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2010, 11:23 AM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
Assuming Williams is on the team. I can see Dean dumping him for a pick at the draft. Dude should play hockey in a suit of armor.
Wait. You mean he's that slow and he's NOT WEARING ARMOR?

Sad thing is, I'm not even sure he could win a foot race (on skates of course) versus Randy Jones.

Williams is gone at the deadline if not sooner. While I have become less of a DL detractor (results are hard to argue with) I don't see Williams regaining form, which moves the POS-Williamsand a second trade into the negative column.

DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2010, 02:46 PM
spudboy

If he does come back, I hope he works on his wrist shot. He needs to find a way to get good shots off.

spudboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2010, 06:47 PM
FrozenKing18
Top Drawer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudboy View Post
If he does come back, I hope he works on his wrist shot. He needs to find a way to get good shots off.
And deke on breakaway chances

FrozenKing18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2010, 07:29 PM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIEHARD the King fan View Post

Williams is gone at the deadline if not sooner. While I have become less of a DL detractor (results are hard to argue with) I don't see Williams regaining form
Replace "Williams" with "Handzus" and you have exactly the same conversation from 2 years ago when folks were ready to throw Zus off to pasture.

Let's give him the appropriate time to train and recover fully from his broken leg and see if he regains his form before we jettison the guy for a bag of pucks.

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2010, 09:43 PM
THEKingsFanInRI
This must be a dream

I only read about half of page one and I just can't see why there is so much hate for Alex.

Citing things like his complacency and lack of production without taking into consideration the fact that he has been put in a position where he was destined to fail is no way to justify allowing one of your better players to walk and hurt you somewhere else down the road.

Let's use this analogy...

Let's say that Joe Torre takes Manny and not only moves him to shortstop but bats him in the 2-hole. Fans would be critical of Manny for being lousy defensively and for not bunting runners over or taking pitches so that your leadoff hitter has a chance to run (although I just looked and I see that Russell Martin is your leadoff hitter, so maybe this is a bad analogy, but hopefully you see what I mean...).

Is it Manny's fault that he is a bad shortstop or a bad two hitter? No. Who do you blame for it? Why, Torre of course. I blame Terry Murray.

Lest we forget, Alex scored 32 goals just last season and he averages 76.5 games played per year so he is pretty durable. He has been clearly stifled by the TM system and that's tough to blame on Fro.

THEKingsFanInRI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2010, 10:15 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsFanInRI View Post
Lest we forget, Alex scored 32 goals just last season and he averages 76.5 games played per year so he is pretty durable. He has been clearly stifled by the TM system and that's tough to blame on Fro.
Except that Murray is still the coach. Do you really want to tie up $4-5 million in cap space for a 3rd line LW with 19 goals?

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2010, 12:40 AM
Bandit

Quote:
I don't like Frolov because he's supposed to be a shooter
Uhh... yeah. Try again.

Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2010, 12:45 AM
THEKingsFanInRI
This must be a dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Except that Murray is still the coach. Do you really want to tie up $4-5 million in cap space for a 3rd line LW with 19 goals?
he should not be relegated to the third line is what I'm getting at....

THEKingsFanInRI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2010, 01:46 AM
JMFJ 3

There's no way Frolov is a King next season, his departure was inevitable since he entered the Terry Murray dog house.

JMFJ 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2010, 01:57 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMFJ 3 View Post
There's no way Frolov is a King next season, his departure was inevitable since he entered the Terry Murray dog house.
Is it the same doghouse that Andy Murray and Marc Crawford kept him in? Wherever he signs, I'm sure those group of fans (and coaching staff) will stress the same frustrations with Frolov. Still, I like the guy and would like to see him back at $3-3.5M. But someone out there is going to overpay for him. Maybe Atlanta could add to their increasing population of Russians.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2010, 02:02 AM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

That's the crux of it. Dean's not going to overpay for him. Frolov didn't do himself any favors by having a disappointing season in a contract year either, so his value may not be as high as some are thinking it'll be, but I think it'll be higher than what Dean is willing to pay if he offers him a contract. I do think someone will give him north of $4MM.. and it won't be the Kings.

I think the wild card in all this is Frolov... he may very well take a hometown discount to stay here. I get the feeling that he really wants to stay in LA. Of course, money talks, but Frolov does strike me as a pretty loyal guy and unlike in years past, there isn't a UFA on the planet who wouldn't want to play for the Kings. A welcome change.

Of course the other wild card is Lombardi... who may not offer Frolov a contract at all.

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2010, 02:28 AM
no name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post

Nailed it.

no name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2010, 09:00 AM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsFanInRI View Post
he should not be relegated to the third line is what I'm getting at....
I agree, but the coach that relegated him to the third line is still coaching LA.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote