HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

We suck again

Old
04-26-2010, 11:06 PM
ForzaItalia

vCash: 500
If you told me before the series started that our PP would be 1 for 30 and we'd also have 2 shorthanded goals, my guess would have been the Habs beat us in 4-5 games.

What happened to the team that would pounce on other teams in the first period? They lost that groove right before the Olympic break.

It's also unreal how unproductive Flash, Semin and Green have been. They need to produce because they bring very little to the table otherwise.

ForzaItalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 11:07 PM
Icetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
Now I know how the word mutiny originated.

Icetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 11:07 PM
Capsman

Quote:
How about "we're going to work on puck movement and shooting the puck faster" to give me a little more confidence.

Capsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 11:08 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Gotta love hearing "I don't know" as the predominant line in a coach's postgame interview.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 11:19 PM
WingmanCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsman View Post
I will ask this again. What do you see in the product that says he's a brilliant hockey mind. Convince me.
I'm pretty sure you have BB's headshot in the center of your dart board, and nothing I say can ever convince you he's anything but the devil. But one thing that impressed me this year was how he constantly said Carolina was a great team, even when they were at the bottom of the league. Everybody took it as him just being nice, until Carolina started to tear it up in the latter part of the year.

It's no easy thing to point to a team at the bottom of the barrel and thumb them as one of the better teams in the league.

WingmanCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 11:20 PM
Capitlols

I will LMAO if Semin and Flash show up in game 7, I have a hunch they will for some reason

Capitlols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 11:26 PM
Capsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingmanCD View Post
I'm pretty sure you have BB's headshot in the center of your dart board, and nothing I say can ever convince you he's anything but the devil. But one thing that impressed me this year was how he constantly said Carolina was a great team, even when they were at the bottom of the league. Everybody took it as him just being nice, until Carolina started to tear it up in the latter part of the year.

It's no easy thing to point to a team at the bottom of the barrel and thumb them as one of the better teams in the league.
Carolina was a great team? There were plenty of folks who said they were better than their record suggested, all one needed to do was look back 6-8 months. Bruce might make a great commentator on the NHL network. How does that make him a brilliant hockey mind, though? I was assuming you were talking X's and O's.

Old
04-26-2010, 11:29 PM
i2edAlien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appreci8 View Post
I will LMAO if Semin and Flash show up in game 7, I have a hunch they will for some reason
Everyone keeps saying/thinking that since game 2. Please stop jinxing them

i2edAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 11:31 PM
ForzaItalia

I really didn't like the way he lost it late in game 5. Sure he's an emotional guy and all but you have to stay calm and look confident. He acted like me, a fan at that moment.

Old
04-26-2010, 11:33 PM
EroCaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by init2winit View Post
Bruce is way too sensitive to criticism sometimes. Can't take the questions, rightfully asked questions, about Green's play, follows up a question about BMo saying that the PP needs to be better by saying that no, the Caps are losing b/c they have 5 or 6 passengers (and BMo was benched this game...hmmm haha), now this befuddled answer to the question? Just tell them you need to get the team more focused, something. You want to take the pressure off these players, Bruce? Then put it on yourself.
How do you expect to change when you bristle at the notion you need it?

He's an attention-needing baby and the players on his team susceptible to a lack of accountability fall prey to it. He probably sees a lot of himself in Mike Green. Which is why he compulsively defends him.

Over BB.

EroCaps is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 11:34 PM
ForzaItalia

Quote:
Originally Posted by i2edAlien View Post
Jinx? Semin hasn't scored in 13 straight playoff games. That's brutal.

Old
04-26-2010, 11:37 PM
artilector

It's more of a rant, but here it goes:

It is tempting to imagine the Caps stop trying to fine-tune all the precision instruments, and trade them in for a bunch of jackhammers. Just leave the top line as is, and then throw out hordes of Fehrs, Laichs, Chimeras, Belangers, etc. This way nobody will be confused about their roles, and there will be few playoff performance surprises. Trade in the early model M-16s for a bunch of AK-47s and go to work, so to speak..

Nah, screw it... I want to see the Caps to retain the offensive identity, find a way to make it work. Just need to come out aggressive for the full 60 minutes in Game 7.

As for Bruce, yeah, you can tell the pressure is getting to him, the happy-to-finally-make-it-as-coach guy is moving towards the dark side. But on a human level, you can understand him. Here's a guy that was told all his life that he's talented but not good enough, and now again everybody is saying or implying that he, his team, and/or his players are fun, but not good enough. I can complain all I want about his hockey decisions, but I sure respect where he's coming from. Man, I just hope he makes it -- with this team, this system, these players..

artilector is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 11:42 PM
Capsman

So let's examine all the people who want to blame McPhee for his personnel decisions. Last year we were missing a Knuble type player to bang the crease. Check. We needed another really good defenseman. Carlson is brought up, playing like a stud. Check. A young team with not much experience. Another year goes by, check. There is no fricking way McPhee should get canned, anyone who thinks otherwise is a fool.

Old
04-26-2010, 11:44 PM
Capitlols

Quote:
Originally Posted by i2edAlien View Post
To be fair Semin seems to be coming around, if Halak wasn't so hot he prolly has a hat-trick

Capitlols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 11:45 PM
Vladiator16
R.I.P - Loko.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2010 View Post
Gotta love hearing "I don't know" as the predominant line in a coach's postgame interview.
Its because this loss was truly shocking... and not just to majority of us...

We did outplay them... by a wide margin, but end it up loosing... what? it never happened before?

Well, this was a strange ****ing game, thats all it was! Fifty some shots and we cant put nothing past him?!

More traffic in front of Halak, more hitting! I dont see smaller opposing forwards "paying the price"... why?

lastly, we can not win with this kind of **** on the power play. WTF is going on?! Next practice main agenda:
1) PP.
2) PP.
3) PP

Bring in Walker.

Vladiator16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 11:45 PM
NeilYoung

I don't even know what to think anymore, I don't have much confidence in this team all year I thought the caps would prove everyone wrong shut the critics up guess not

I've waited 12 years since the last time in the playoffs where I believed this team could go far its just frustrating to see a team that could be so good play such crap hockey

NeilYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 11:46 PM
Capsman

I will purge my disappointment and hurt with one more image. Make of it what you will.

Old
04-26-2010, 11:46 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

While it would hurt to lose...it could pay off in the long run. It could open some eyes and force the changes needed to get to the next level.

I dunno man. I'm torn.

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 11:48 PM
artilector

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps View Post
How do you expect to change when you bristle at the notion you need it?

He's an attention-needing baby and the players on his team susceptible to a lack of accountability fall prey to it. He probably sees a lot of himself in Mike Green. Which is why he compulsively defends him.

Over BB.
I think you're right, except I disagree with the attention-needing part. Maybe he's too emotionally attached to certain concepts, maybe he's not strict enough to take a team to the Cup, but overall he seems to me like a basically good, honest, loyal guy. Although I share your frustration at his inability to recognize his own favoritism, among other things..

Old
04-26-2010, 11:49 PM
nautikal

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
While it would hurt to lose...it could pay off in the long run. It could open some eyes and force the changes needed to get to the next level.

I dunno man. I'm torn.
Same. Even if the Caps win on Wednesday I doubt they will beat the Flyers and Penguins.

nautikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 11:51 PM
Slappy

adjustments for game 7?

what changes should bruce make? for me:

1) flash out. walker in. no brainer for me, but flash is bruce's boy so it probably won't happen. flash is too soft. walker is a gamer. remember carolina's game 7 GWG last season against boston?

2) steckel out. BMo in. Mo has the most playoff experience on our team. stecks is just too slow against a team like montreal. we have gordon to take the draws on the PK and play 4th line center.

3) there has to be a change to the PP. i noticed that it looked a bit better later in the game, with corvo and carlson out there on the point. carlson's shot just seems to get on net more often than not. also, they should think about moving ovie closer to the net, maybe in semin's place.

Slappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 11:55 PM
artilector

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post

I dunno man. I'm torn.
And I might add, I hope if they do win and have some success this year, that the whole issue of four consecutive seven-game series doesn't get swept under the rug... like you know it will.

Old
04-26-2010, 11:56 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

I come in peace. I was at the game tonight, and Halak was ridiculously good. You guys completely dominated the shots on goal battle, but there seems to be something not quite right. There isn't a lot of conviction in the Caps' play, even when they put up shot after shot. They're not playing smart offensive hockey.

Anyways, one thing that has shocked me in this series is the fact Scott Walker has yet to make an appearance. I thought that was your best deadline acquisition, personally. Dude is a playoff warrior. I am completely baffled how he hasn't sniffed the lineup at all in this series.

Good luck in Game 7.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 11:59 PM
artilector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slappy View Post
what changes should bruce make? for me:

1) flash out. walker in. no brainer for me, but flash is bruce's boy so it probably won't happen. flash is too soft. walker is a gamer. remember carolina's game 7 GWG last season against boston?

2) steckel out. BMo in. Mo has the most playoff experience on our team. stecks is just too slow against a team like montreal. we have gordon to take the draws on the PK and play 4th line center.

3) there has to be a change to the PP. i noticed that it looked a bit better later in the game, with corvo and carlson out there on the point. carlson's shot just seems to get on net more often than not. also, they should think about moving ovie closer to the net, maybe in semin's place.
Agree on the first points; as far as the PP, I don't think they can suddenly come up with some key idea at this point, not when their confidence in it is shot. Just move the puck faster, shoot more, and everybody crash the net. They need a dirty goal at this point..

Old
04-27-2010, 12:01 AM
ForzaItalia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
I come in peace. I was at the game tonight, and Halak was ridiculously good. You guys completely dominated the shots on goal battle, but there seems to be something not quite right. There isn't a lot of conviction in the Caps' play, even when they put up shot after shot. They're not playing smart offensive hockey.

Anyways, one thing that has shocked me in this series is the fact Scott Walker has yet to make an appearance. I thought that was your best deadline acquisition, personally. Dude is a playoff warrior. I am completely baffled how he hasn't sniffed the lineup at all in this series.

Good luck in Game 7.

Thanks and I agree. You're one of the best Pens posters out there.

Good luck too.