HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

WCSF: #2 Chicago Blackhawks vs. #3 Vancouver Canucks: Series Preview and Discussion

Old
04-27-2010, 10:34 AM
Wetcoaster

vCash: 500
Article by Ed Willes - the Canucks are the Charlestown Chiefs in a re-make (or is that re-imagining) of Slapshot.

Luongo felt shame at being pulled as described by Denis Lemieux.

Hank is Ned Braden - minus the striptease of course.
http://www.theprovince.com/sports/ho...517/story.html

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 10:35 AM
Moore Money

reunite Raymond-Kesler-Grabner. We need all the speed we can get against these damn Hawks.

Moore Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 10:37 AM
KDizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
According to HNIC the league has issued a memo to crack down on goaltender interference during the post-season.
As we saw when Samuelsson's skate grazed Quick's pad.

KDizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 10:40 AM
Eukaryote

Listening to the team1040, my main radio station this time of year, Simpson confirmed he and Hughson will do the Canucks-Hawks series. I like listening to his analysis. Unlike most of the losers we get on sports TV, he's a winner and big time playoff performer. Sixteen goals in the 1990 Championship.

Anyway, he thinks the Hawks sometimes have trouble committing to the work ethic their coach wants. He mentioned that the Hawks often leave their D vulnerable and as much as they score in bunches, they also can give up goals in bunches as well. As an aside, MacKenzie thinks the Hawks are not as good as last year.

Simpson said one of things that is common for SC champions is that the players often have had career years in points or assists or goals going into the playoffs. He said, the Canucks have that and also that if you look at those players that achieved that, all of them except Burr are also doing it in the playoffs.

Simpson said he expects there to be some wide open games at times. We'll see.

Eukaryote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 10:40 AM
Wetcoaster

Ryan Johnson could be ready to go as early as Game 3.

Aaron Rome remains day to day with an ankle problem.
http://communities.canada.com/THEPRO...returning.aspx

Old
04-27-2010, 10:44 AM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Quote:
According to HNIC the league has issued a memo to crack down on goaltender interference during the post-season.
Sure didn't seem that way for a lot of the 1st round, where Dustin Brown in particular was allowed to get right into Luongo's grill on many occasions. Although I'd love it if Byfuglien would just repeatedly put his team shorthanded.

EDIT: And the paralells Willes was trying to draw to Slap Shot were pathetic...Henrik and Ned Braeden? Under pressure to play more physical? Say what?

Would be nice to see RJ back on the fourth line. AV hasn't really been using Rypien very much, although a Rypien/Byfuglien matchup would be pretty sweet. Loved Rypien tooling Clune in the first round for getting in Luongo's face...

Mr. Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 10:45 AM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eukaryote View Post
Simpson said one of things that is common for SC champions is that the players often have had career years in points or assists or goals going into the playoffs. He said, the Canucks have that and also that if you look at those players that achieved that, all of them except Burr are also doing it in the playoffs.
I disagree. In addition to Burrows, Kesler and Raymond have yet to step up this post-season. Ehrhoff was adequate but not as effective as he was in the regular season. Hopefully he is not infected with San Jose play-offitis.

Old
04-27-2010, 10:45 AM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
Sure didn't seem that way for a lot of the 1st round, where Dustin Brown in particular was allowed to get right into Luongo's grill on many occasions. Although I'd love it if Byfuglien would just repeatedly put his team shorthanded.
According to HNIC the memo went out late in the first round.

Old
04-27-2010, 10:48 AM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Quote:
I disagree. In addition to Burrows, Kesler and Raymond have yet to step up this post-season. Ehrhoff was adequate but not as effective as he was in the regular season. Hopefully he is not infected with San Jose play-offitis.
I thought Kesler was very good in the first round, but agreed on Raymond. He was pretty quiet. I think Ehrhoff was as solid as he needed to be, but I think everyone has more to give and we'll see that in Round 2.

Mr. Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 10:53 AM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
I thought Kesler was very good in the first round, but agreed on Raymond. He was pretty quiet. I think Ehrhoff was as solid as he needed to be, but I think everyone has more to give and we'll see that in Round 2.
Kesler had a very quiet first round. He basically had two good games, both of which we lost. He put up 4 points in those two games and was above 60% at faceoffs. In the other 4 games, he had a goal (EN) and an assist, while being around 45% at faceoffs. He was also a part of the poor PK (on ice for 5 or 6 GA).

Tiranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 10:57 AM
Ernie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO View Post
The Sedins likely won't have a shutdown line against them in this series, unless the Hawks decide to use the Ladd-Bolland-Versteeg line against them, which likely isn't going to be as strong a shutdown until as what they faced against Handzus. Madden is probably their best shutdown center, but he's been playing on the 4th line with Brouwer and Burish... if the Hawks decide to use that line against the Sedins, I have faith the Sedins will carry the play.

My guess is that it's the Kopecky-Sharp-Hossa line that plays against the Sedins... they are all good defensive players, but without a focused shutdown game against that line, the Sedins should have more room than they've had in any playoff series over the past few years, where there always seems to be one line who's job it is to solely shut them down... and again, the Hawks top pair had a pretty bad series against Nashville, and the Sedins and Samuelsson should be head and shoulders above the Preds top offensive guys.

Could be (hopefully) a coming out party for the Sedins in the playoffs... while it should have been the last round, people are going to write off their accomplishments until they do it against a top end team.
If I was Joe Q, I'd play the Toews line against the Sedins. The Sedins are likely to play over 20 minutes a night again this series. Toews, as we saw during the Olympics, is one of the best two-way players in the game, and they'll want him out on the ice a lot.

Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 11:15 AM
Bobby Lou
Moustache Power

vCash: 894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Charisma View Post
anyone watch the preds-hawks series...I dont really think the Neimi was tested all that much to be honest.

The preds had 3 PP's last night in the 3rd and couldnt muster out any real type of quality shots. It will be different with the Nucks.

Very curious to see how this Neimi pans out when under fire. Goaltending will be the diff in this series.
I watched pretty well the entire series, and the Predators were by-and-large an offensive black-hole through most of it; something like 0-1000000 on the PP and yet managed to score 15 goals in 6 games pretty much solely off defensive breakdowns from the Hawks who looked terrible on their own side of centre ice for large portions of the series.

As we've noted Keith-Seabrook were bad last series, and without a set shut-down unit to cover the Sedins (like Pahlsson last year) Chicago could be in some trouble.

Just put Alberts on Byfuglien; seems like there must be something Alberts does well, maybe it's rough up that guy.

Bobby Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 11:22 AM
Connecticut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
If I was Joe Q, I'd play the Toews line against the Sedins. The Sedins are likely to play over 20 minutes a night again this series. Toews, as we saw during the Olympics, is one of the best two-way players in the game, and they'll want him out on the ice a lot.
It's not a terrible strategy, only that the downside for the Hawks is that their top offensive line spends a lot of time defending in their own zone. That leaves a lot of the scoring then to Kane's line, which will have to face off against Kesler.

Connecticut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 11:52 AM
VanEric

Byfuglien won't be an issue unless Luongo allows him to become one. The best way to neutralize him is for Luongo to remain calm and focused. Also it's for Kesler and Burrows to do more of what they did in the last couple games and pressure the points. The big man in front of the net is useless if Duncan Keith or Brian Campbell can't get their shots through.

VanEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 11:54 AM
LostMyGlasses*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Lou View Post

As we've noted Keith-Seabrook were bad last series, and without a set shut-down unit to cover the Sedins (like Pahlsson last year) Chicago could be in some trouble. .
I hear that John Madden guy is a real defensive slacker.

LostMyGlasses* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 11:57 AM
Wetcoaster

Gord McIntyre of the Province predicts the Canucks in 7.
http://communities.canada.com/THEPRO...ucks-in-7.aspx

Old
04-27-2010, 11:59 AM
VanEric

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMyGlasses View Post
I hear that John Madden guy is a real defensive slacker.
You want to play Madden's line for 20+ minutes a night and limit the minutes of your top two dangerous lines?

Madden was on the ice for the most GA of any Hawks forward in the first round despite only playing 12 minutes a game. He was on the ice for the most GA of any Hawks forward in the regular season too despite only playing 15 minutes a night.

It seems like he's living off a reputation.

VanEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 12:00 PM
David71

This series will be exciting and a war will commence! by the end, the winner will come out victoriously. there will be players that sacrifiace their bodies and whoever wins, bumps and bruises will tell the tale end.

David71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 12:01 PM
Wetcoaster

The Kurtenbloggers fill out report cards on the Canucks for the Kings Series:
http://communities.canada.com/THEPRO...e-canucks.aspx

Old
04-27-2010, 12:02 PM
Dado

vCash:
Let me explain how this is going to go.

Vancouver will march into the United Center and win Game 1 handily.

Chicago will rally and win Game 2 in OT.

At the Garage, Vancouver will demolish Chicago - I'm talking wrecking-ball-on-brick-wall demolition - both nights.

The return trip to Chicago will have the Hawks nursing a 2 goal lead after two periods, but Luongo will then shut the door and the Sedins will provide yet another last-period comeback.

Book it.

Old
04-27-2010, 12:10 PM
Wetcoaster

Elliott Pap of the Vancouver Sun picks the Blackhawks in 6 over the Canucks.
Quote:
If the Canucks have one more injury to their blueline, they will be in a heap of trouble, Roberto Luongo will have to play out of his mind for the Canucks to win this series. I'm predicting it's not going to happen and the Blackhawks will win in six.
http://communities.canada.com/VANCOU...r-canucks.aspx

Old
04-27-2010, 12:19 PM
petrishriekandgo
Why not us?

I'm calling for the Canucks in 4... the pain of last years exit mixed with the new blood, confidence and maturity of Vancouver's game.... sorry CHI-town. Burrows is going to pull a Samuelsson on yer *****.

petrishriekandgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 12:20 PM
Dana Murzyn

Quote:
Elliott Pap of the Vancouver Sun picks the Blackhawks in 6 over the Canucks.

http://communities.canada.com/VANCOU...r-canucks.aspx
Just another Pap smear.

Dana Murzyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 12:22 PM
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas

Comparing both teams, I would argue the following:

* Goaltending - advantage Canucks

* Defence - advantage Hawks

* Forwards - even. Hawks are arguably better than last year with the substitution of Hossa and Madden for Havlat and Pahlsson. Canucks added Samuelsson but lost Sundin.

Canucks secondary scoring - esp Kesler, Burrows and Raymond - will need to step it up against the Hawks. Coaches too because they have been playing 3 lines - even though they have the skill to play 4 - whereas the Hawks play 4. Moreover, none of the secondary lines really clicked together so some line juggling by the coaches is in order.

Canucks have some injured players - Mitchell Rome Johnson - who would be nice additions if they returned during the series.

If anyone watched Nashville during this series, they were very strong on the puck and IMO, were a better foe than the Kings. Canucks will need to step up their play in this series.

The deciding factor in this series may very well be goaltending.

Outside99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 12:22 PM
The Bob Cole
Ohhhh Baby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Kesler had a very quiet first round. He basically had two good games, both of which we lost. He put up 4 points in those two games and was above 60% at faceoffs. In the other 4 games, he had a goal (EN) and an assist, while being around 45% at faceoffs. He was also a part of the poor PK (on ice for 5 or 6 GA).
His defensive play outside the morbid PK (where most goals where in front of the net on rebounds or screened point shots) was excellent. There were numerous times during the game he'd back-check and steal the puck with ease.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.h...tssPlayerStats

He leads the playoffs with 10 takeaway so far to 2 giveaways.

The Bob Cole is offline   Reply With Quote