HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Iginla vs. Heatley

Closed Thread

Old
05-09-2004, 06:39 PM
Fan-of-#9

vCash: 500
Iginla vs. Heatley

There was talk in the World Championships forum about Heatley soon to become the best player in the Canada. He is 4 years younger than Jerome, and definetly started his career better than Jerome did. My personal opinion is that Iginla is already the best Canadian forward in the world, because he is great at just about everything. His vision is amazing, his shot is top notch, and his physicality is basically unmatched. The more you watch him the more you appreciate his game. He's a leader on and off the ice, and he steps up his game when his team needs him most. Heatley is one hell of a player, but if I was to build a franchise, I'd select Jerome Iginla before Dany Heatley. Here's some stats on the 2 players:

Goals per game:
Heatley: 0.43
Iginla: 0.40

Assists per game:
Heatley: 0.53

Points per game:
Heatley: 0.95
Iginla: 0.80

Penalty Minutes per game:
Heatley: 0.70
Iginla: 0.67

If you take away Iginla's first 3 seasons, the stats would be closer. Either way what do you folks think? Who would you rather have?

PS. I don't think that Heatley's accident last year should be considered in this debate.

Old
05-09-2004, 06:43 PM
Jacky

Heatley

Old
05-09-2004, 06:44 PM
Sting

Send a message via MSN to Sting
If I had to choose now I'd take Iginla. But if I were to build a franchise around someone for many years, definately Heatley because he's only 23.

Old
05-09-2004, 06:46 PM
Russian_fanatic

Heatley , Can score , playmake , and he is younger I would take him without a shout of a doubt !!! :lol

Old
05-09-2004, 07:01 PM
HuskyFlames

Iginla now but if I had to rebuild a team I would chose Heatly as he is up their in scoring but he still has more room in his abilities. The only thing the makes me frown upon Heatly is his lack of defensive responsibility. Iginla has really become good defensively and not only worrying about scoring.

Old
05-09-2004, 07:20 PM
Fan-of-#9

One thing I'd like to note is that if Heatley was on a team that didn't allow him to simply concentrate on offense, I doubt he'd be a consistent 90 point player, especially playing with guys like Conroy, Simon, and Gelinas (no offense to them but they are not the most offensive minded guys). Heatley had a free for all in his first 2 seasons, I'd like to see how many points he would put up on a team that
concentrated on solid defensive play.

Old
05-09-2004, 07:20 PM
evman150*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russian_fanatic
Heatley , Can score , playmake , and he is younger I would take him without a shout of a doubt !!! :lol
Is that to say that Iginla can't score and playmake?

Granted he is younger, but I don't know if he has better skills. Iginla has a definite edge in defensive play and leadership though.

PS - It's shadow.

Old
05-09-2004, 07:30 PM
Jacky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan-of-#9
One thing I'd like to note is that if Heatley was on a team that didn't allow him to simply concentrate on offense, I doubt he'd be a consistent 90 point player, especially playing with guys like Conroy, Simon, and Gelinas (no offense to them but they are not the most offensive minded guys). Heatley had a free for all in his first 2 seasons, I'd like to see how many points he would put up on a team that
concentrated on solid defensive play.
Bob doesn't let any of his players, well except for Trembley , concentrate only on offense. Plus it isn't like he plays with some amazing guys on his line.

Old
05-09-2004, 07:33 PM
Amen evil king
Amen, Evil King

Heatley!

Old
05-09-2004, 07:46 PM
Mizral

The best Canadian forward in the world is named Joe Sakic - hadn't you heard?

I prefer Iginla to Heatley though. Not to slight Heatley whom I'm impressed with a ton, but I like Iginla more. Can't say why for sure, I just do.

Old
05-09-2004, 08:13 PM
monster_bertuzzi

Heatley for me.

Old
05-09-2004, 08:49 PM
Vincent Vega

Dany Heatley. This guy amazes me. He is involved with something so horrific at the beginning of the season, and that doesnt hurt his play. That was a true test of character and Dany got through it all. That amazed me. Right now Iggy is the better defensive player and leader but remember, Dany Heatley is 23, still growing as a player and I'm positive that we will see an improvment in Heatley's defensive play and in 5 year people will be saying "That Dany Heatley is one of the best leaders in the game today."

Old
05-09-2004, 09:15 PM
Russian_fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nash61
Dany Heatley. This guy amazes me. He is involved with something so horrific at the beginning of the season, and that doesnt hurt his play. That was a true test of character and Dany got through it all. That amazed me. Right now Iggy is the better defensive player and leader but remember, Dany Heatley is 23, still growing as a player and I'm positive that we will see an improvment in Heatley's defensive play and in 5 year people will be saying "That Dany Heatley is one of the best leaders in the game today."
Exactly !!!

Old
05-09-2004, 10:16 PM
DaveyCrockett

Heatley upstaged Kovalchuk for two years in a row. He might have done so this year except for an inconveniently placed wall. Iginla is a great player, like a durable Wendel, but Heatley has accomplished too much at such a young age to pick Iginla.

Old
05-09-2004, 10:26 PM
I_r_1337

Heatley no question..Not putting Iginla down at all because I love him..one of my favorite player sin the NHL but I'd take Heater

Old
05-09-2004, 11:24 PM
Hellsempire

Heatley hands down. He just won the MVP award for the World Championship for Canada as they beat Sweeden for the Gold Medal 5-3... Heatley

Old
05-09-2004, 11:28 PM
kruezer

Heatley. This guy is just amazing, really amazing. I like Iginla, but (and this sounds crazy) I just think Heatley has more natural talent. Iginla has massive talent, its no slight on his skills, but its more a testament to Heatley skills.

Old
05-10-2004, 08:43 AM
LaVal

Heatley. Iginla is obviously the better player at this point, and it's not like he's really old or anything... but Heatley is destined to have a Sakic-like career and you just can't argue with that.

Old
05-10-2004, 09:08 AM
Legolas

I don't think you can go wrong with either guy, but I would take Iginla if the player were supposed to be the focus of the franchise. Iginla has already shown he can bear the pressure of the big contract, the media attention and the pressure of being his team's only legit player (besides Kiprusoff). Heatley is amazing, but he plays in Atlanta (therefore less pressure), he plays with Kovalchuk, who is better than anybody on the Flames besides Iginla, and he still had some growing up to do, so he wouldn't be the best choice for the guy to lead your franchise, as in the captain....he would be a great player to have though!

Either way, you get a great pick.

Old
05-10-2004, 11:31 AM
FLAMESFAN

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legolas
I don't think you can go wrong with either guy, but I would take Iginla if the player were supposed to be the focus of the franchise. Iginla has already shown he can bear the pressure of the big contract, the media attention and the pressure of being his team's only legit player (besides Kiprusoff). Heatley is amazing, but he plays in Atlanta (therefore less pressure), he plays with Kovalchuk, who is better than anybody on the Flames besides Iginla, and he still had some growing up to do, so he wouldn't be the best choice for the guy to lead your franchise, as in the captain....he would be a great player to have though!

Either way, you get a great pick.

Good post. There's more to think about than just who's going to get the most points. It's also about attitude, and Iggy is one of the most attractive there for ANY franchise.
I agree with the posters who say Iggy now, and possibly Heatley in the future.

Old
05-10-2004, 12:55 PM
Vlad The Impaler

I'd choose Iginla. More well-rounded.

Old
05-10-2004, 03:29 PM
Taxman

Heatley right now, as a 23 year old, is better than the 27 year old Ignila. Heatley is definitely the better playmaker (look at their assist totals..it isn't really close). Heatley can score goals as well as Ignila. Heatley isn't much worse defensively than Ignila and works on that side of his game all the time. He will get better in his own zone with time.

All in all, what advantage does Iggy have on Heatley? I don't see any, and the fact that Heatley is 4 years younger and already better than Iggy makes the choice a no brainer in my book.

Look at the totals you posted:

Goals per game:
Heatley: 0.43

Assists per game:
Heatley: 0.53

Points per game:
Heatley: 0.95
Iginla: 0.80

Heatley wins everyone of the categories and the disparity will be greater once Heatley has the 24, 25, 26 and 27 year old seasons under his belt like Iggy does. Heatley will improve on this points/goals/assists/ per game totals over the next 4-5 seasons. Count on it.

At the World Tournament 3-4 days ago, after Heatley scored the amazing goal winner in OT, Gretsky called Canada's coach up to say that Heatley is a hockey player. You can't get a higher compliment than that.

http://www.slam.ca/Slam040507/col_jones-sun.html

Quote:
What we watched here yesterday, as Heatley sent Canada to tomorrow's semifinal against Slovakia, is what defines greatness, said coach Mike Babcock.

"He loves hockey. He wants the puck. He thinks he's going to score," said the Team Canada coach.

"That's what it is. He thinks he's the guy. He believes that. In that situation, some guys don't want the puck. He wants the puck. You have guys who are great physically and mentally. But do they have soul? Do they want to be special?

"Dany Heatley wants to be special. He's a special, special talent.

"He has a chance to be a star and if he becomes one, he'll embrace it.

"He could be a hero to children. He's that good."

Wayne Gretzky called Kevin Lowe on his cell-phone when Heatley scored the overtime winner.

"Gretz said, 'He's a hockey player.' To Wayne, that's the ultimate compliment. It means he finds out a way to do something."

Heatley received a hero's welcome in the arms of the guy who was the overtime hero with the winner to send Canada to the medal round and an eventual gold medal last year in Helsinki.

"Heatley scored an awesome goal," said Oilers defenceman Eric Brewer, who notched an OT goal to send Canada to the medal round and the eventual gold medal last year in Helsinki. "There was not a lot of net there. He took it. You can call him our go-to guy."

Goaltender Roberto Luongo, who was the second star of the show despite being open for criticism on a goal which gave the Finns a 2-0 lead early, was flabbergasted when Heatley took the shot.

"It was a one-on-three," he said. "Dump it in and change.

"That shows a lot of skill. Not everybody can do that."
BTW, Heatley doesn't play with skilled players on his line. Kovalchuk and Heatley haven't played on the same line in 3 seasons. The only time they play together is on powerplays.

Last edited by Taxman: 05-10-2004 at 03:43 PM.
Old
05-10-2004, 05:00 PM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxman
All in all, what advantage does Iggy have on Heatley? I don't see any, and the fact that Heatley is 4 years younger and already better than Iggy makes the choice a no brainer in my book.
Iginla is much more of a competitor, he is grittier. Pound for pound he is one of the very strong players in the NHL, and definitly stronger than Heatley can ever hope to be.

I strongly disagree that Heatley is already better than Iginla.

Quote:
Heatley wins everyone of the categories and the disparity will be greater once Heatley has the 24, 25, 26 and 27 year old seasons under his belt like Iggy does. Heatley will improve on this points/goals/assists/ per game totals over the next 4-5 seasons. Count on it.
I don't. I do not expect his point totals to improve much in the coming years.

Quote:
At the World Tournament 3-4 days ago, after Heatley scored the amazing goal winner in OT, Gretsky called Canada's coach up to say that Heatley is a hockey player. You can't get a higher compliment than that.
He said the same thing about Yachmenev. I'm still waiting.

Old
05-10-2004, 05:04 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Quote:
BTW, Heatley doesn't play with skilled players on his line. Kovalchuk and Heatley haven't played on the same line in 3 seasons. The only time they play together is on powerplays.
Marc Savard and Slava Kozlov arn't skilled players? Kovalchuk is the guy on the Thrashers who has to carry stiffs on his line (Robataille and Stefan).

Old
05-10-2004, 05:15 PM
Safir*

I'll give Heatley the edge.

Closed Thread