HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Iginla vs. Heatley

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-09-2004, 06:39 PM
  #1
Fan-of-#9
Registered User
 
Fan-of-#9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Southern Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,775
vCash: 500
Iginla vs. Heatley

There was talk in the World Championships forum about Heatley soon to become the best player in the Canada. He is 4 years younger than Jerome, and definetly started his career better than Jerome did. My personal opinion is that Iginla is already the best Canadian forward in the world, because he is great at just about everything. His vision is amazing, his shot is top notch, and his physicality is basically unmatched. The more you watch him the more you appreciate his game. He's a leader on and off the ice, and he steps up his game when his team needs him most. Heatley is one hell of a player, but if I was to build a franchise, I'd select Jerome Iginla before Dany Heatley. Here's some stats on the 2 players:

Goals per game:
Heatley: 0.43
Iginla: 0.40

Assists per game:
Heatley: 0.53
Iginla: 0.40

Points per game:
Heatley: 0.95
Iginla: 0.80

Penalty Minutes per game:
Heatley: 0.70
Iginla: 0.67

If you take away Iginla's first 3 seasons, the stats would be closer. Either way what do you folks think? Who would you rather have?

PS. I don't think that Heatley's accident last year should be considered in this debate.

Fan-of-#9 is offline  
Old
05-09-2004, 06:43 PM
  #2
Jacky
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 35
vCash: 500
Heatley

Jacky is offline  
Old
05-09-2004, 06:44 PM
  #3
Sting
Registered User
 
Sting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Oakville, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,735
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Sting
If I had to choose now I'd take Iginla. But if I were to build a franchise around someone for many years, definately Heatley because he's only 23.

Sting is offline  
Old
05-09-2004, 06:46 PM
  #4
Russian_fanatic
Registered User
 
Russian_fanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,638
vCash: 500
Heatley , Can score , playmake , and he is younger I would take him without a shout of a doubt !!! :lol

Russian_fanatic is offline  
Old
05-09-2004, 07:01 PM
  #5
HuskyFlames
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 4,671
vCash: 500
Iginla now but if I had to rebuild a team I would chose Heatly as he is up their in scoring but he still has more room in his abilities. The only thing the makes me frown upon Heatly is his lack of defensive responsibility. Iginla has really become good defensively and not only worrying about scoring.

HuskyFlames is offline  
Old
05-09-2004, 07:20 PM
  #6
Fan-of-#9
Registered User
 
Fan-of-#9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Southern Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,775
vCash: 500
One thing I'd like to note is that if Heatley was on a team that didn't allow him to simply concentrate on offense, I doubt he'd be a consistent 90 point player, especially playing with guys like Conroy, Simon, and Gelinas (no offense to them but they are not the most offensive minded guys). Heatley had a free for all in his first 2 seasons, I'd like to see how many points he would put up on a team that
concentrated on solid defensive play.

Fan-of-#9 is offline  
Old
05-09-2004, 07:20 PM
  #7
evman150*
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,457
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russian_fanatic
Heatley , Can score , playmake , and he is younger I would take him without a shout of a doubt !!! :lol
Is that to say that Iginla can't score and playmake?

Granted he is younger, but I don't know if he has better skills. Iginla has a definite edge in defensive play and leadership though.

PS - It's shadow.

evman150* is offline  
Old
05-09-2004, 07:30 PM
  #8
Jacky
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 35
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan-of-#9
One thing I'd like to note is that if Heatley was on a team that didn't allow him to simply concentrate on offense, I doubt he'd be a consistent 90 point player, especially playing with guys like Conroy, Simon, and Gelinas (no offense to them but they are not the most offensive minded guys). Heatley had a free for all in his first 2 seasons, I'd like to see how many points he would put up on a team that
concentrated on solid defensive play.
Bob doesn't let any of his players, well except for Trembley , concentrate only on offense. Plus it isn't like he plays with some amazing guys on his line.

Jacky is offline  
Old
05-09-2004, 07:33 PM
  #9
Amen evil king
Amen, Evil King
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 3,380
vCash: 500
Heatley!

Amen evil king is online now  
Old
05-09-2004, 07:46 PM
  #10
Mizral
Registered User
 
Mizral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Earth, MW
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,102
vCash: 500
The best Canadian forward in the world is named Joe Sakic - hadn't you heard?

I prefer Iginla to Heatley though. Not to slight Heatley whom I'm impressed with a ton, but I like Iginla more. Can't say why for sure, I just do.

Mizral is offline  
Old
05-09-2004, 08:13 PM
  #11
monster_bertuzzi
registered user
 
monster_bertuzzi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 28,571
vCash: 500
Heatley for me.

monster_bertuzzi is online now  
Old
05-09-2004, 08:49 PM
  #12
Vincent Vega
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,703
vCash: 500
Dany Heatley. This guy amazes me. He is involved with something so horrific at the beginning of the season, and that doesnt hurt his play. That was a true test of character and Dany got through it all. That amazed me. Right now Iggy is the better defensive player and leader but remember, Dany Heatley is 23, still growing as a player and I'm positive that we will see an improvment in Heatley's defensive play and in 5 year people will be saying "That Dany Heatley is one of the best leaders in the game today."

Vincent Vega is offline  
Old
05-09-2004, 09:15 PM
  #13
Russian_fanatic
Registered User
 
Russian_fanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,638
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nash61
Dany Heatley. This guy amazes me. He is involved with something so horrific at the beginning of the season, and that doesnt hurt his play. That was a true test of character and Dany got through it all. That amazed me. Right now Iggy is the better defensive player and leader but remember, Dany Heatley is 23, still growing as a player and I'm positive that we will see an improvment in Heatley's defensive play and in 5 year people will be saying "That Dany Heatley is one of the best leaders in the game today."
Exactly !!!

Russian_fanatic is offline  
Old
05-09-2004, 10:16 PM
  #14
DaveyCrockett
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,142
vCash: 500
Heatley upstaged Kovalchuk for two years in a row. He might have done so this year except for an inconveniently placed wall. Iginla is a great player, like a durable Wendel, but Heatley has accomplished too much at such a young age to pick Iginla.

DaveyCrockett is offline  
Old
05-09-2004, 10:26 PM
  #15
I_r_1337
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Washington D.C.
Posts: 496
vCash: 500
Heatley no question..Not putting Iginla down at all because I love him..one of my favorite player sin the NHL but I'd take Heater

I_r_1337 is offline  
Old
05-09-2004, 11:24 PM
  #16
Hellsempire
Registered User
 
Hellsempire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: The Rock Section 233
Country: United States
Posts: 2,483
vCash: 500
Heatley hands down. He just won the MVP award for the World Championship for Canada as they beat Sweeden for the Gold Medal 5-3... Heatley

Hellsempire is offline  
Old
05-09-2004, 11:28 PM
  #17
kruezer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 6,271
vCash: 500
Heatley. This guy is just amazing, really amazing. I like Iginla, but (and this sounds crazy) I just think Heatley has more natural talent. Iginla has massive talent, its no slight on his skills, but its more a testament to Heatley skills.

kruezer is offline  
Old
05-10-2004, 08:43 AM
  #18
LaVal
Registered User
 
LaVal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Kelowna
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,704
vCash: 500
Heatley. Iginla is obviously the better player at this point, and it's not like he's really old or anything... but Heatley is destined to have a Sakic-like career and you just can't argue with that.

LaVal is offline  
Old
05-10-2004, 09:08 AM
  #19
Legolas
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Toronto, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 770
vCash: 500
I don't think you can go wrong with either guy, but I would take Iginla if the player were supposed to be the focus of the franchise. Iginla has already shown he can bear the pressure of the big contract, the media attention and the pressure of being his team's only legit player (besides Kiprusoff). Heatley is amazing, but he plays in Atlanta (therefore less pressure), he plays with Kovalchuk, who is better than anybody on the Flames besides Iginla, and he still had some growing up to do, so he wouldn't be the best choice for the guy to lead your franchise, as in the captain....he would be a great player to have though!

Either way, you get a great pick.

Legolas is offline  
Old
05-10-2004, 11:31 AM
  #20
FLAMESFAN
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 2,331
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legolas
I don't think you can go wrong with either guy, but I would take Iginla if the player were supposed to be the focus of the franchise. Iginla has already shown he can bear the pressure of the big contract, the media attention and the pressure of being his team's only legit player (besides Kiprusoff). Heatley is amazing, but he plays in Atlanta (therefore less pressure), he plays with Kovalchuk, who is better than anybody on the Flames besides Iginla, and he still had some growing up to do, so he wouldn't be the best choice for the guy to lead your franchise, as in the captain....he would be a great player to have though!

Either way, you get a great pick.

Good post. There's more to think about than just who's going to get the most points. It's also about attitude, and Iggy is one of the most attractive there for ANY franchise.
I agree with the posters who say Iggy now, and possibly Heatley in the future.

FLAMESFAN is offline  
Old
05-10-2004, 12:55 PM
  #21
Vlad The Impaler
Registered User
 
Vlad The Impaler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Montreal
Posts: 11,716
vCash: 500
I'd choose Iginla. More well-rounded.

Vlad The Impaler is offline  
Old
05-10-2004, 03:29 PM
  #22
Taxman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 336
vCash: 500
Heatley right now, as a 23 year old, is better than the 27 year old Ignila. Heatley is definitely the better playmaker (look at their assist totals..it isn't really close). Heatley can score goals as well as Ignila. Heatley isn't much worse defensively than Ignila and works on that side of his game all the time. He will get better in his own zone with time.

All in all, what advantage does Iggy have on Heatley? I don't see any, and the fact that Heatley is 4 years younger and already better than Iggy makes the choice a no brainer in my book.

Look at the totals you posted:

Goals per game:
Heatley: 0.43
Iginla: 0.40

Assists per game:
Heatley: 0.53
Iginla: 0.40

Points per game:
Heatley: 0.95
Iginla: 0.80

Heatley wins everyone of the categories and the disparity will be greater once Heatley has the 24, 25, 26 and 27 year old seasons under his belt like Iggy does. Heatley will improve on this points/goals/assists/ per game totals over the next 4-5 seasons. Count on it.

At the World Tournament 3-4 days ago, after Heatley scored the amazing goal winner in OT, Gretsky called Canada's coach up to say that Heatley is a hockey player. You can't get a higher compliment than that.

http://www.slam.ca/Slam040507/col_jones-sun.html

Quote:
What we watched here yesterday, as Heatley sent Canada to tomorrow's semifinal against Slovakia, is what defines greatness, said coach Mike Babcock.

"He loves hockey. He wants the puck. He thinks he's going to score," said the Team Canada coach.

"That's what it is. He thinks he's the guy. He believes that. In that situation, some guys don't want the puck. He wants the puck. You have guys who are great physically and mentally. But do they have soul? Do they want to be special?

"Dany Heatley wants to be special. He's a special, special talent.

"He has a chance to be a star and if he becomes one, he'll embrace it.

"He could be a hero to children. He's that good."

Wayne Gretzky called Kevin Lowe on his cell-phone when Heatley scored the overtime winner.

"Gretz said, 'He's a hockey player.' To Wayne, that's the ultimate compliment. It means he finds out a way to do something."

Heatley received a hero's welcome in the arms of the guy who was the overtime hero with the winner to send Canada to the medal round and an eventual gold medal last year in Helsinki.

"Heatley scored an awesome goal," said Oilers defenceman Eric Brewer, who notched an OT goal to send Canada to the medal round and the eventual gold medal last year in Helsinki. "There was not a lot of net there. He took it. You can call him our go-to guy."

Goaltender Roberto Luongo, who was the second star of the show despite being open for criticism on a goal which gave the Finns a 2-0 lead early, was flabbergasted when Heatley took the shot.

"It was a one-on-three," he said. "Dump it in and change.

"That shows a lot of skill. Not everybody can do that."
BTW, Heatley doesn't play with skilled players on his line. Kovalchuk and Heatley haven't played on the same line in 3 seasons. The only time they play together is on powerplays.


Last edited by Taxman: 05-10-2004 at 03:43 PM.
Taxman is offline  
Old
05-10-2004, 05:00 PM
  #23
Vlad The Impaler
Registered User
 
Vlad The Impaler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Montreal
Posts: 11,716
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxman
All in all, what advantage does Iggy have on Heatley? I don't see any, and the fact that Heatley is 4 years younger and already better than Iggy makes the choice a no brainer in my book.
Iginla is much more of a competitor, he is grittier. Pound for pound he is one of the very strong players in the NHL, and definitly stronger than Heatley can ever hope to be.

I strongly disagree that Heatley is already better than Iginla.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxman
Heatley wins everyone of the categories and the disparity will be greater once Heatley has the 24, 25, 26 and 27 year old seasons under his belt like Iggy does. Heatley will improve on this points/goals/assists/ per game totals over the next 4-5 seasons. Count on it.
I don't. I do not expect his point totals to improve much in the coming years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxman
At the World Tournament 3-4 days ago, after Heatley scored the amazing goal winner in OT, Gretsky called Canada's coach up to say that Heatley is a hockey player. You can't get a higher compliment than that.
He said the same thing about Yachmenev. I'm still waiting.

Vlad The Impaler is offline  
Old
05-10-2004, 05:04 PM
  #24
Epsilon
#TeamHolland
 
Epsilon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Florence, SC
Posts: 34,861
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxman
BTW, Heatley doesn't play with skilled players on his line. Kovalchuk and Heatley haven't played on the same line in 3 seasons. The only time they play together is on powerplays.
Marc Savard and Slava Kozlov arn't skilled players? Kovalchuk is the guy on the Thrashers who has to carry stiffs on his line (Robataille and Stefan).

Epsilon is offline  
Old
05-10-2004, 05:15 PM
  #25
Safir*
 
Safir*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Country: Turkmenistan
Posts: 13,959
vCash: 500
I'll give Heatley the edge.

Safir* is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:25 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.