HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

To my fellow Maritimes

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-09-2004, 07:07 PM
  #1
danboulie
Registered User
 
danboulie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,597
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to danboulie
To my fellow Maritimers

I don't know exactly how the weather has been in other parts of Canada, but I've got a quite the story to tell the Maritime leaf fans.

When the playoffs started, it was cold. Everyone said Hell froze over because Calgary made it.
When Montreal was eliminated, all it did was rain because everyone was crying.
Now that Toronto's out, it's been nothing but sunshine because everyone is smiling!!

danboulie is offline  
Old
05-09-2004, 07:11 PM
  #2
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional
 
s7ark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,589
vCash: 500
Funny stuff. I've been in Edmonton for months upon months now, but I return to Hali in two weeks (before heading to Japan). It better be nice when I get there! I've got golfing to do, not unlike our Habs.

s7ark is offline  
Old
05-09-2004, 07:17 PM
  #3
danboulie
Registered User
 
danboulie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,597
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to danboulie
Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark
Funny stuff. I've been in Edmonton for months upon months now, but I return to Hali in two weeks (before heading to Japan). It better be nice when I get there! I've got golfing to do, not unlike our Habs.
Where do you go golfing at?
I play at the Fish Pond, my brother at Abercrombie, and a friend at Brookfield.
Heading to Japan to teach English?

danboulie is offline  
Old
05-09-2004, 07:23 PM
  #4
PJ Wiggum
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 487
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to PJ Wiggum
It has been kind of windy out here the last few days as well, that must be because Canada is blowing away the competition at the worlds.

PJ Wiggum is offline  
Old
05-09-2004, 07:38 PM
  #5
HFXMooseHabs
Registered User
 
HFXMooseHabs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,085
vCash: 500
I live about 5 minutes from the Abercrombie course yet I've never been there in my life. Don't like golf.

HFXMooseHabs is offline  
Old
05-09-2004, 07:46 PM
  #6
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional
 
s7ark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,589
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphotic
Where do you go golfing at?
I play at the Fish Pond, my brother at Abercrombie, and a friend at Brookfield.
Heading to Japan to teach English?
I used to go mainly to Oakfield (I live about 7 mins away) or Ashburn (the new one... I have to sneak on as it is super expensive to play... good thing I live even closer to this one than Oakfield). I get out to Fox Hollow, Brightwood, Avon Valley, and Ken-Wo fairly often, though. I used to keep a membership at Airlanes (as it's cheap) so I could still participate in tournaments. I'm good friends with the two sides of the family that run it, so atleast I didn't have to pay much to play there (they used to let me get membership for $100!).

As far as Japan goes, I'll be working for the Japanese embassy developing their english teachers. So, I guess I will be teaching english... in a manner of speaking.

s7ark is offline  
Old
05-09-2004, 07:46 PM
  #7
Raider917
Registered User
 
Raider917's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,564
vCash: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by =CH=
I live about 5 minutes from the Abercrombie course yet I've never been there in my life. Don't like golf.
windy and still cold here. snow is gone though... leafs fans get hot around the collar when i bug them so that could be why.

Raider917 is offline  
Old
05-09-2004, 08:22 PM
  #8
Franky44
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Campbellton, NB
Posts: 55
vCash: 500
Haha I don't remember the weather at the beginning of the playoffs, but it all looks true... Do you know why it is windy like that this weekend??

Franky44 is offline  
Old
05-09-2004, 09:51 PM
  #9
RE-HABS
Registered User
 
RE-HABS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: CANADA
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,885
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphotic
I don't know exactly how the weather has been in other parts of Canada, but I've got a quite the story to tell the Maritime leaf fans.

When the playoffs started, it was cold. Everyone said Hell froze over because Calgary made it.
When Montreal was eliminated, all it did was rain because everyone was crying.
Now that Toronto's out, it's been nothing but sunshine because everyone is smiling!!
Send that to the weather channel!

Its also warm because the "FLAMES" are keeping us warm!

RE-HABS is offline  
Old
05-09-2004, 11:35 PM
  #10
KadoCH
Registered User
 
KadoCH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 554
vCash: 500
CH where abouts do you live and how old are you?

If you dont mind me asking

KadoCH is offline  
Old
05-10-2004, 04:10 AM
  #11
VirginiaMtlExpat
Iggy button advocate
 
VirginiaMtlExpat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Norfolk, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,170
vCash: 500
Hope the weather is good in the Maritimes. Right now, it's miserable in Japan. It's been raining for 3 days.

Good luck with the job. Teaching English to Japanese can be frustrating, I've heard. At least in your case, hopefully your students will be keen. That is apparently not always the case, and you cannot imagine two more dissimilar languages than Japanese and English, so it doesn't sink in without considerable work. That said, I'm off to my own Japanese lesson this evening, which I take once a week.

VirginiaMtlExpat is offline  
Old
05-10-2004, 01:34 PM
  #12
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional
 
s7ark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,589
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JapanMontrealExpat
Hope the weather is good in the Maritimes. Right now, it's miserable in Japan. It's been raining for 3 days.

Good luck with the job. Teaching English to Japanese can be frustrating, I've heard. At least in your case, hopefully your students will be keen. That is apparently not always the case, and you cannot imagine two more dissimilar languages than Japanese and English, so it doesn't sink in without considerable work. That said, I'm off to my own Japanese lesson this evening, which I take once a week.
Thanks. I'm not too worried about learning the language. I am bilingual (english, french) and picked up german fairly easily, so I have a knack for languages. I can't wait to try a symbolic, syllabic language instead! Luckily I'll be training esl teachers, so they should know english fairly well to begin with.

On a Montreal related note, can you get any kind of NHL broadcast there either over cable or internet? I think I'll go nuts not being able to watch the team next year. I'm trying to arrange for my buddy to record games so he can broadcast them over webcam to me or something, but that's a major endeavour. I'll probably be trolling around here even more often as a result!

s7ark is offline  
Old
05-10-2004, 03:31 PM
  #13
eddy
Registered User
 
eddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,673
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphotic
I don't know exactly how the weather has been in other parts of Canada, but I've got a quite the story to tell the Maritime leaf fans.

When the playoffs started, it was cold. Everyone said Hell froze over because Calgary made it.
When Montreal was eliminated, all it did was rain because everyone was crying.
Now that Toronto's out, it's been nothing but sunshine because everyone is smiling!!
Ya i never really thought about it but we did have some awful weather there for a while after they were elimeinated.

eddy is offline  
Old
05-10-2004, 10:42 PM
  #14
VirginiaMtlExpat
Iggy button advocate
 
VirginiaMtlExpat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Norfolk, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,170
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark
Thanks. I'm not too worried about learning the language. I am bilingual (english, french) and picked up german fairly easily, so I have a knack for languages. I can't wait to try a symbolic, syllabic language instead! Luckily I'll be training esl teachers, so they should know english fairly well to begin with.

On a Montreal related note, can you get any kind of NHL broadcast there either over cable or internet? I think I'll go nuts not being able to watch the team next year. I'm trying to arrange for my buddy to record games so he can broadcast them over webcam to me or something, but that's a major endeavour. I'll probably be trolling around here even more often as a result!
I too am bilingual (grade school, high school and university in both languages) and also did some German and Dutch before, but learning a language like Japanese is still more difficult than a Germanic or Latin-derived language, because there are no common bearings in the vocabulary, with few exceptions, and of course, reading is difficult: the Japanese even spend part of their high school and university learning to read (specialized Kanji).

More importantly , we now get 2 ESPN hockey reruns a week, which as bad as it sounds, is better than before, when Japan League broadcasts were all that was available.

VirginiaMtlExpat is offline  
Old
05-11-2004, 06:07 AM
  #15
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional
 
s7ark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,589
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JapanMontrealExpat
More importantly , we now get 2 ESPN hockey reruns a week, which as bad as it sounds, is better than before, when Japan League broadcasts were all that was available.
Okay, so all is not lost! I will probably schedule my whole week around catching those broadcasts! Thinking of a trip to Osaka? Better check when the replays are on... wouldn't want to miss them! When you say rerun, what are we talking about? Days old? Weeks?

s7ark is offline  
Old
05-11-2004, 07:14 AM
  #16
VirginiaMtlExpat
Iggy button advocate
 
VirginiaMtlExpat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Norfolk, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,170
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark
Okay, so all is not lost! I will probably schedule my whole week around catching those broadcasts! Thinking of a trip to Osaka? Better check when the replays are on... wouldn't want to miss them! When you say rerun, what are we talking about? Days old? Weeks?
Days old, but you'll know the score already, if you're like me.

There are other sports where reruns are weeks, if not months, old. They'll rerun Wimbledon tennis matches involving Ai Sugiyama, while the Australian Open is going on. If you know anything about tennis, you know that works to a 6-7 month tape delay.! Meanwhile, you can't get any Aussie Open unless you get a very expensive cable channel called Wowow.

Anyhow, don't bank on too many Habs games.

The place has its merits though. The Japanese are very nice, all the women are slim and incredibly generous (I'm marrying one...), the weather is usually good in most major cities, and compared to Canada, taxes are low and the health system is extremely efficient.

VirginiaMtlExpat is offline  
Old
05-11-2004, 08:15 AM
  #17
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional
 
s7ark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,589
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JapanMontrealExpat
Days old, but you'll know the score already, if you're like me.

...

Anyhow, don't bank on too many Habs games.

The place has its merits though. The Japanese are very nice, all the women are slim and incredibly generous (I'm marrying one...), the weather is usually good in most major cities, and compared to Canada, taxes are low and the health system is extremely efficient.
Yeah, I won't bank on too many Habs games. My buddy's going to try to rip as many of these as possible so I can download them off of his FTP server. I am like you in that I will probably know the scores anyway, but hell... I still watch the games they have here on the NHL network from 1970/80s playoffs etc.

As far as Japan goes, I have a pretty good idea of what to expect. A friend of mine just recently returned (with a wife, no less) and recruited me to go back. He says much the same things you do. I'm pretty excited, but don't know where I'll be positioned yet.

s7ark is offline  
Old
05-11-2004, 08:22 AM
  #18
Jacques Strappe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Halifax
Posts: 424
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphotic
I don't know exactly how the weather has been in other parts of Canada, but I've got a quite the story to tell the Maritime leaf fans.

When the playoffs started, it was cold. Everyone said Hell froze over because Calgary made it.
When Montreal was eliminated, all it did was rain because everyone was crying.
Now that Toronto's out, it's been nothing but sunshine because everyone is smiling!!
And if you woke up today (11th) in Halifax and noticed the ground was wet, it's not because it rained last night. It's because of all the Habs fans that pis$ed themselves laughing and continue to do so because:
a) we beat the Bruins....AGAIN!
b) the Leafs hit #37 and have nowhere to go but down, while the Habs' future looks very bright!
c) no more stupid Leafs flags flying from stupid Leaf fans' cars!

PS. I like to golf at Chester. Bit of a drive, but can afford the fees and beautiful scenery.

Jacques Strappe is offline  
Old
05-11-2004, 08:18 PM
  #19
danboulie
Registered User
 
danboulie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,597
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to danboulie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques Strappe
And if you woke up today (11th) in Halifax and noticed the ground was wet, it's not because it rained last night. It's because of all the Habs fans that pis$ed themselves laughing and continue to do so because:
a) we beat the Bruins....AGAIN!
b) the Leafs hit #37 and have nowhere to go but down, while the Habs' future looks very bright!
c) no more stupid Leafs flags flying from stupid Leaf fans' cars!

PS. I like to golf at Chester. Bit of a drive, but can afford the fees and beautiful scenery.
Good stuff.
Chester? GOd i'd have to plan my clear a weekend schedule just to go play 18 holes there. I went there one time with my cousin for his hockey tournament, and it was a damn long drive!

danboulie is offline  
Old
05-12-2004, 09:44 AM
  #20
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional
 
s7ark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,589
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques Strappe
PS. I like to golf at Chester. Bit of a drive, but can afford the fees and beautiful scenery.
Yeah, it's a beaut. We had a family membership down there one year, but didn't get to the cottage enough to make real good use of it (you have to live in chester county limits to get membership, but one of our cottages is in Fox Point/Hubbards, so it was close enough). Pretty inexcusable since it is only about 45 mins to an hour from our house outside Halifax. Haven't played there since, in fact. Hmmm... maybe when we open the cottage this year I'll make the detour.

s7ark is offline  
Old
05-12-2004, 02:20 PM
  #21
caper13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: cape breton nova scotia
Posts: 392
vCash: 500
good luck man all the best to both of you.

caper13 is offline  
Old
05-13-2004, 02:59 PM
  #22
HFXMooseHabs
Registered User
 
HFXMooseHabs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,085
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KadoCH
CH where abouts do you live and how old are you?

If you dont mind me asking
I told ya, 5 minutes from the Abercrombie course. And 23.

HFXMooseHabs is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:02 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.