HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Viewing habits for big games

Old
04-27-2010, 11:05 AM
Heaton
#disapointment

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Viewing habits for big games

Read a blog entry from Paul Kukla over at NHL.com and got me to thinking, how does everyone like to handle watching game 7's, or big games in general?

For myself, I enjoy watching them alone, it's one of those times that I get highly irritable if the game isn't going our way and people start making stupid comments (or truthful comments that I just don't want to hear) at the bar or in a group setting. I've really always been like that, during the Wings cup run in '08 when they lost the back-to-back games against Dallas to force a game 6 I went from watching them with a big group of friends to not being able to force myself to be around people when crap was seemingly hitting the fan.

Also, anyone doing anything special food/beverage wise tonight? I usually get too nervous to eat during the game but before hand I like to do something unique if I can.

Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 11:14 AM
TheWestWing

Will be my first live G7. Vacillated on going or not. Since it will be my last chance to see the team, fig'd why not?

Whatever I want to do will be mitigated by 18K+ Yotes fans, so I guess I'll just do the normal - dissect every play out loud, yell at Rafi after every TO - 'hey, we're in white tonite', enjoy watching Helmer and Abby flying up the boards. Just the usual I guess.

TheWestWing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 11:18 AM
ProPAIN
I am the Danger!

I usually turn the stream on, and leave it for the entire game. I keep it on full screen and don't touch it. Last game I was watching the game with a friend (who is a Pens fan) and he kept on checking stuff on other sites during the commercial break. Sabotage! Each time I kept the same ritual, we won, so I'm closing my door tonight and not letting anyone in and no once can touch my computer for the the whole game.

ProPAIN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 11:30 AM
sarcastro

My wife considers me to be intolerable during playoff games, particularly elimination games. So she usually gives me plenty of space. (The Wings are losing and it's game 7, sweetie, I love you to death but I don't give a rat's ass how your day was right now...)

I watch regular season games on delay to skip the commercials but I have to watch playoff games live for some reason.

sarcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 11:35 AM
ESunlin

Send a message via MSN to ESunlin Send a message via Yahoo to ESunlin
Shoalzie and I do games at BDubs together, but I'm like you Heaton... If someone starts dissing the Wings, I pretty much unleash the fury. It's best if I watch really big games at home. Less dangerous.

I watch with my Dad most of the time, and during the playoffs especially, the family gathers round. During earlier (in the day) games, my aunt and uncle and my older sister and brother-in-law come over. Shoalzie joins us pretty frequently.

Tonight, it will be primarily Dad and I, but my Mom will be there most of the time and my sisters will be in and out. They leave Dad and I alone, because we fight about EVERYTHING during big games. Every call, every offsides, icing... It's fun. We both get really wired.

ESunlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 11:44 AM
14ari13

I usually watch by myself. There's not much people I can meet 3-4 AM to watch NHL games.
This one starts 4 AM, so I'll sleep till 4 AM and then I'll get up to watch the game.

14ari13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 12:14 PM
ProPAIN
I am the Danger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14ari13 View Post
I usually watch by myself. There's not much people I can meet 3-4 AM to watch NHL games.
This one starts 4 AM, so I'll sleep till 4 AM and then I'll get up to watch the game.
same here! but for me it is 2 am. or i might get some work done. i doubt it, but i can always think of doing work which is the closest to actually doing it.

ProPAIN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 01:16 PM
PocketGnome

Heh... I have a 120 inch projector in my basement. This is an older pic, but you get the idea.

Usually my buddies and I order some Pizza and watch the game. Sometimes nobody is available so I watch games with myself... haha. Tonight I'm having some people over to catch the game - but I've seen every game so far this season! That's why I bought the projector.

I theme the place for the playoffs, which I don't have a picture of atm, but all the posters become Red Wing posters and I hang a bunch of flags and roll out the red rugs! My girlfriend even made me a couch cover! haha.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg screen.jpg‎ (45.5 KB, 15 views)

PocketGnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 01:17 PM
14ari13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProPAIN View Post
same here! but for me it is 2 am. or i might get some work done. i doubt it, but i can always think of doing work which is the closest to actually doing it.
I did not know the game starts 9 PM, which means I have to get up 3 o'clock AM. Good you mentioned it.

14ari13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 01:17 PM
DarkReign

I usually have 5-6 guys over the house, head to man-cave to watch on the big screen and surround.

They are usually accompanied by their various wives and girlfriends, so the girls have something to do and dont care what the guys are doing (vice versa, as well).

Lots of drinking, cussing and boisterous interaction. I always get quiet and calm in any pressure situation, be it for a silly hockey game I have no control over or a huge business opportunity/presentation. Stoic, unblinking and totally concentrated. Dont talk much, drink less, smoke a helluva lot more.

Regardless of outcome, I always feel better afterword. Its either over and I can have my usual life back or the team moves on and I get to have more collective heart-attacks with my family and friends in close proximity.

Win-win, really.

DarkReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 01:31 PM
SirKillalot

Well. It is alone. No other in my family are an NHL-fan. Usually seeing the game on ESPNAmerica or stream on the net.

Got to have something to drink(just anything available) and something to eat(chips, food, chocolate...whatever I got/find).

I just imagine we will score 1-2-3-4-5 and win the game. Keep calm and keep the pressure. Hoping. Expecting. Win.

SirKillalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 01:36 PM
ZDH

lots of beer...**** finals

will destroy my apartment if we lose, especially if we come out and play with no heart/fire

ZDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 01:43 PM
last_sd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton View Post
Read a blog entry from Paul Kukla over at NHL.com and got me to thinking, how does everyone like to handle watching game 7's, or big games in general?

For myself, I enjoy watching them alone, it's one of those times that I get highly irritable if the game isn't going our way and people start making stupid comments (or truthful comments that I just don't want to hear) at the bar or in a group setting. I've really always been like that, during the Wings cup run in '08 when they lost the back-to-back games against Dallas to force a game 6 I went from watching them with a big group of friends to not being able to force myself to be around people when crap was seemingly hitting the fan.

Also, anyone doing anything special food/beverage wise tonight? I usually get too nervous to eat during the game but before hand I like to do something unique if I can.
Same. I like to watch alone on big nights. Last thing I need is people who say "Kronvall" saying **** about the Wings.

Pizza/chips. I don't really like beer when I watch games. Beer for after the game = either to celebrate or to forget

last_sd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 02:19 PM
Fugu

vCash:
Three of the four members of my household are HUGE hockey and Wings fans. The three of us always watch all the games together (unless someone is away). We wouldn't miss the big ones either. All the other days' activities have to be carefully moved around so as not to interfere with the game, so if that means pizza or carry out, so be it.

This, of course, annoys the other not-so-big-fan, but even she will tune in with us for the most important games.

They have banned my participation in GDT's though, as they don't want me to accidentally find out what has happened if we're slightly delayed with the DVR, and they want my full participation here.

Old
04-27-2010, 02:33 PM
Yemack

I tried watching out at bars as soon as I was able to. Big mistake since this is leafs terriotry. Very very few Wings fans here.

Most people are pretty well behaved and when Wings are winning, there is pretty much no drama. However! if Wings are losing, and they know there are some Wings fans in the crowd, it can become quite unbearable.

Take last year's SC game 7 for example, I HAD to go out because my gf had to bring along her sister for some reason. It was one of the most painful hockey watching experience ever.

Yemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 02:35 PM
Yemack

I envy some of you guys. Being a korean-canadian, I dont have alot of friends who even know what hockey is. Ones that knew about hockey and played with me, all moved away.

I have absolutely noone to talk to about hockey...mayb that's why visit here often.

Yemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 02:47 PM
Redwingsfan
Global Moderator
What rust??

Awards:
Send a message via MSN to Redwingsfan
I dont really care where I watch the game or who I watch it with, as long the people I watch it with are quiet during the game.. Talking about the game is fine, but how your day was at work or your plans for the weekend can wait until intermission or when the game is over.. I try my best not to say anything though and just let them talk, but thats pretty difficult when the Wings are losing

As for eating and drinking.. I never drink alcohol unless I'm at a party or something, so its usually just a coke during the game.. I never plan my meals, so I dont do anything special there either. If I'm hungry during the game, I'll find something to eat or order a pizza..

Redwingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 03:21 PM
petesrw

I watch games anyway I can. I don't have cable, so I have to go to my friend's house. He is the only Wings fan I know here in Columbus, but if I'm back home, I'll watch with my Dad.

I like to have someone to watch it with because I can't always laugh at my own Todd Bertuzzi jokes.

petesrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 03:21 PM
GuloGulo

I simply don't watch game 7s. Watching the Wings lose.. a game 7.. no. Rage levels uncontrollable! I'll read the boxscores the next morning.

GuloGulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 03:56 PM
TheMoreYouKnow

I start watching it but if the game goes badly, I tend to turn it off. Might cautiously turn it on again when the game is meant to be near completion so I can check whether there's been a turnaround of fortunes or not.

I don't have any special "rules" for watching them, I do get testy as all hell though which not everyone around me understands or appreciates.

TheMoreYouKnow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 04:09 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

I don't have any routine. I don't like watching games with friends or at a bar. I like to be able to focus on what's going on.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 04:38 PM
ESunlin

Send a message via MSN to ESunlin Send a message via Yahoo to ESunlin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
I don't have any routine. I don't like watching games with friends or at a bar. I like to be able to focus on what's going on.
Ok, I'm going to be the pest.

How can you focus on what is going on so well when you are constantly winning the GDT posting race? I've tried, and I failed- AND I was typing watching the tv!

ESunlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 04:46 PM
ZDH

just ****ing win

ZDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 06:04 PM
mottjm7

Bdubs is a great place to go. Bars are ok as long as its a game from the teams "territory". I wouldnt go to a bar to watch Vancouver-LA cause there would be no atmosphere.

Since most of my friends arent hockey fans and are cheap, I normally just stay home with the 2 that are and dissect every play, only breathing and talking during commercials.

mottjm7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 05:19 AM
slapshots1515

I've got a couple of real good friends who are diehard Wings fans also (and also knowledgeable about hockey), I usually call them up. If not them, I usually watch it by myself-stressful times, you don't want to be yelling at the jacka** who doesn't know what icing is.

As far as food, it may be a little cliche, but I always grab a Little Caesers. Just feels good karmatically.

slapshots1515 is offline   Reply With Quote