HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Yeah, just give the Flames the Cup now

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-13-2004, 08:31 AM
  #51
xauxi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 382
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky83
The same was said with Anaheim and Carolina and look what happened. Even Minnesota.

If you can forecast the future 100% correctly then I can accept it. Now you just based on the past to solidify your argument? I asked DB what if Calgary Flames are the Stanley Cup champions this year? will this make you bow? or you will find another reason to rectify your reasoning? Oilers fans hardcore can support the team, and also can accept the fact (not dilute from it). Whatever the outcome, for THIS YEAR, the Flames should have high recognition form all Canadians, not only the Edmonton. I admire Calgary fans. The team has not done great for more than a decade and they still survive, they are still with the city. What if the Oilers had been in the same situation with the Flames for last 10 years, the Oilers may have ended up somewhere in states, and where would you be now? of course not on this board. I support my home team, but I will also openly recognize the achievement of the other team especially the small market Canadian team.
Until next year...... Go! Flames Go!

xauxi is offline  
Old
05-13-2004, 10:17 AM
  #52
dawgbone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,104
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by xauxi
If you can forecast the future 100% correctly then I can accept it. Now you just based on the past to solidify your argument? I asked DB what if Calgary Flames are the Stanley Cup champions this year? will this make you bow? or you will find another reason to rectify your reasoning? Oilers fans hardcore can support the team, and also can accept the fact (not dilute from it). Whatever the outcome, for THIS YEAR, the Flames should have high recognition form all Canadians, not only the Edmonton. I admire Calgary fans. The team has not done great for more than a decade and they still survive, they are still with the city. What if the Oilers had been in the same situation with the Flames for last 10 years, the Oilers may have ended up somewhere in states, and where would you be now? of course not on this board. I support my home team, but I will also openly recognize the achievement of the other team especially the small market Canadian team.
Until next year...... Go! Flames Go!
Like I said... if they win that is something that can never be taken away from them. However, I also said that even if they do win, it would not suprise me in the least to see them completely miss the playoffs next season. No one here is taking away what the Flames are doing this spring... but that is where it ends, this spring. My issue isn't with what Calgary is accomplishing... but with this assumption that they are somehow different from any of the other cinderella teams that were a low seed and did some big time damage in the playoffs. I've seen too many teams do this in the past 5 years to think that Calgary will be any different, and I won't treat them any different until they prove it to me next year.

As for what Edmonton would do if they were like Calgary over the past 10 years... well in the past 12 years, the Oilers have won a total of 2 playoff series, and have missed the playoffs 6 times. Calgary, in that same stretch, has won 2 playoff series and missed the playoffs 7 times. Not really much difference there.

dawgbone is offline  
Old
05-13-2004, 11:14 AM
  #53
xauxi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 382
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
As for what Edmonton would do if they were like Calgary over the past 10 years... well in the past 12 years, the Oilers have won a total of 2 playoff series, and have missed the playoffs 6 times. Calgary, in that same stretch, has won 2 playoff series and missed the playoffs 7 times. Not really much difference there.
There is a big difference between not having been in the playoff for numbers of years and how far to go in the playoff race. Every year, by just getting into the playoff would give the city a big boost. The city atmosphere, you must have seen the difference between home team clinching playoff and when players quietly rolling equipment going home. Everyone should see the difference. The Since last Stanley Cup, the Oilers are out of playoff twice (under MacT, correct me if I am wrong), and each year when the Oilers clinch the playoff, I would see the sign "GO! OILERS GO! everywhere, from the buses to the restaurants, to the car dealers, even in schools. Do you think that is not the difference? I do not mean the number of winning games in the playoff, nor the revenue getting from playing playoff games. I talk about the excitement of the home team making playoff each year.
Sometimes I need to think a little harder to understand your argument, DB.

xauxi is offline  
Old
05-13-2004, 11:34 AM
  #54
dawgbone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,104
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by xauxi
There is a big difference between not having been in the playoff for numbers of years and how far to go in the playoff race. Every year, by just getting into the playoff would give the city a big boost. The city atmosphere, you must have seen the difference between home team clinching playoff and when players quietly rolling equipment going home. Everyone should see the difference. The Since last Stanley Cup, the Oilers are out of playoff twice (under MacT, correct me if I am wrong), and each year when the Oilers clinch the playoff, I would see the sign "GO! OILERS GO! everywhere, from the buses to the restaurants, to the car dealers, even in schools. Do you think that is not the difference? I do not mean the number of winning games in the playoff, nor the revenue getting from playing playoff games. I talk about the excitement of the home team making playoff each year.
Sometimes I need to think a little harder to understand your argument, DB.
xauxi... the Oilers missed the playoffs for 4 straight seasons (1992-93, 93-94, 94-95, 96-97). They have also missed the playoffs twice in the last 3 seasons, bringing their total to 6 times in the past 12 years. The Flames have missed them 7 times, the only difference being that Calgary missed the playoffs 7 times in a row.

dawgbone is offline  
Old
05-13-2004, 11:44 AM
  #55
Cawz
Registered User
 
Cawz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Oiler fan in Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,639
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
Like I said... if they win that is something that can never be taken away from them. However, I also said that even if they do win, it would not suprise me in the least to see them completely miss the playoffs next season. No one here is taking away what the Flames are doing this spring... but that is where it ends, this spring. My issue isn't with what Calgary is accomplishing... but with this assumption that they are somehow different from any of the other cinderella teams that were a low seed and did some big time damage in the playoffs. I've seen too many teams do this in the past 5 years to think that Calgary will be any different, and I won't treat them any different until they prove it to me next year.
Totally agree 100%.

Calgary has played very well this year with little adversity. We started the season without our 2 top centers, had our top winger trying to learn to play center so we basically lost our top winger as well, Salo stunk up the joint, we lost York when he was leading the team in every category. All this and we missed the playoffs by 2 points.

Just because Calgary is making the best of some well timed breaks is no reason to push the panic button. Remember the Flames missed the playoffs by 17 points last year, before they got their savior goalie. Right now its all about the Flames. Best of luck to them, whatever. Next year Ill still lump them in the 6-10 spot in the west.

Cawz is online now  
Old
05-13-2004, 12:17 PM
  #56
Oilers Hockey
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Heartland of Hockey
Posts: 1,531
vCash: 500
The funniest thing about Calgary fans is that they're so desperate to have others cheer their team. You know, I couldn't give a damn if Flames fans ever cheered for the Oilers. In fact, I'd hope they didn't. Maybe because Calgary is a little cow-poke town they need validation from the City of Champions that they're okay?

Oilers Hockey is offline  
Old
05-13-2004, 12:39 PM
  #57
Cawz
Registered User
 
Cawz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Oiler fan in Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,639
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers Hockey
The funniest thing about Calgary fans is that they're so desperate to have others cheer their team. You know, I couldn't give a damn if Flames fans ever cheered for the Oilers. In fact, I'd hope they didn't. Maybe because Calgary is a little cow-poke town they need validation from the City of Champions that they're okay?
Now that just makes you sound like a sore loser. The Flames are 6 wins away from the cup. The whole city is partying. I havent heard anyone saying they care what other cities think.

If youre going to insult the people in Calgary, cut down the bandwagon jumpers. Even the long-time Flames fans are dissing the fair-weather fans.

Cawz is online now  
Old
05-13-2004, 01:38 PM
  #58
Ozy_Flame
Registered User
 
Ozy_Flame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,183
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers Hockey
:troll:
Double standard? I think you're on your own there, junior, because most classy Oilers fans don't spew hypocritical garbage. Do you ever see oilers_guy_eddie or Lowtide saying stuff like that? Nope.


Last edited by Gee Wally: 05-13-2004 at 01:50 PM. Reason: remove deleted quote from above
Ozy_Flame is offline  
Old
05-13-2004, 02:27 PM
  #59
Gee Wally
Grumpy
 
Gee Wally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: HF retirement home
Country: United States
Posts: 38,374
vCash: 500
Awards:
no more personal shots or links to other boards.

this thread is on probation.

__________________

BOSTON STRONG !!!
Gee Wally is offline  
Old
05-13-2004, 02:47 PM
  #60
barto
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 2,465
vCash: 500
Coming late to the "party" here, but of course the Flames fans have to really savour this...after a long drought, sometimes missing by very few points, making the playoffs and then doing so well as the underdog in all the series has to be a great feeling. Savour it, enjoy it, go crazy - I don't think anyone can fault a Flames fan for any of that, or even for hoping for continued success. I'm sure we as Oilers fans would be doing the same (in the same situation).

In fact, this year's playoffs have perhaps even MORE importance than usual because of the possible (likely?) work stoppage next season with the new CBA talks.

So "good on ya", Flames fans - congrats on the team's success already. Just have a little pity on us poor Oilers fans - just a *little* is all I ask!

Bart

barto is offline  
Old
05-13-2004, 02:55 PM
  #61
windowlicker
Registered User
 
windowlicker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Murky Wisconsin
Country: United States
Posts: 2,182
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Wally
no more personal shots or links to other boards.

this thread is on probation.
Flames fans coming to the Oiler board to talk about their recent Playoff success. This can only end badly.

windowlicker is offline  
Old
05-13-2004, 03:02 PM
  #62
Johnnybegood13
Registered User
 
Johnnybegood13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 6,016
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cawz
Totally agree 100%.

Calgary has played very well this year with little adversity.
Pardon!?

Calgary was 2nd in the league in man-games lost to injury this year!
Lets see:

Centres
Conroy,Reinprecht and Yelle,thats the Flames top 3 centres and they lost 78 games this year to injury.
Defense
Lydman and Warrener are in the Flames top 4 and missed 25 games,a few others also missed time.
Goal
Turek lost 40 games,Kipper lost 27 games to injury,the Flames had to play their AHL goalie and Noodles for a big stretch of games.

Kipper going down was a real bummer,Turek was still hurt and although Noddies played ok at times i think the Flames would have won the division with Kipper in the net for most of those 27 games.

Anyway folks,keep thinking the Oilers are better! just makes it more fun come the BOA and playoff time :lol

Johnnybegood13 is offline  
Old
05-13-2004, 03:26 PM
  #63
mackdogs*
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Van, left coast
Country: Canada
Posts: 907
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by T@T
Anyway folks,keep thinking the Oilers are better! just makes it more fun come the BOA and playoff time :lol
Us diehard fans sure will, no need to worry. I'd love to say I am happy to see you posting here T@T but after seeing your trolling at edmontonoilers.com as this name and Ready2Rumble I sure am not.

I can understand where Flames fans are coming from tho, if it were the Oilers still in the dance leading the Western Conf. finals 2-0 we'd be pretty confident the team was going to keep on rolling into next year. But I am with the majority here, you guys are a flash in the pan waiting to happen. Good luck the rest of the way, you've got my support... painful as it is to type that.

mackdogs* is offline  
Old
05-13-2004, 03:27 PM
  #64
Cawz
Registered User
 
Cawz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Oiler fan in Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,639
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by T@T
Pardon!?

Calgary was 2nd in the league in man-games lost to injury this year!
Lets see:

Centres
Conroy,Reinprecht and Yelle,thats the Flames top 3 centres and they lost 78 games this year to injury.
Defense
Lydman and Warrener are in the Flames top 4 and missed 25 games,a few others also missed time.
Goal
Turek lost 40 games,Kipper lost 27 games to injury,the Flames had to play their AHL goalie and Noodles for a big stretch of games.

Kipper going down was a real bummer,Turek was still hurt and although Noddies played ok at times i think the Flames would have won the division with Kipper in the net for most of those 27 games.

Anyway folks,keep thinking the Oilers are better! just makes it more fun come the BOA and playoff time :lol
If Iginla missed 40 games, that would be adversity, not Turek. A Having a bunch of role players getting injured doesnt mean much. Losing Kipper for those games is the only real adversity the Flames had to face (and McLennon's no slouch either. His stats are better than Salo's).

Anyway kid, keep on visiting the Oilers board to validate the Flames success. Its kind of like the 1st time that the little brother beats the big brother at something. He has to keep on reminding the big brother, now that he finally won something.

Cawz is online now  
Old
05-13-2004, 03:48 PM
  #65
mackdogs*
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Van, left coast
Country: Canada
Posts: 907
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cawz
Anyway kid, keep on visiting the Oilers board to validate the Flames success. Its kind of like the 1st time that the little brother beats the big brother at something. He has to keep on reminding the big brother, now that he finally won something.
Perfectly put.

mackdogs* is offline  
Old
05-13-2004, 04:33 PM
  #66
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,935
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Boy have I missed out on checking back on this thread for a while!
Well, the money thing that I said has been attacked, I know that the Flames Owners are VERY rich, but how stupid do you think they are? Do you think they're going to increase payroll to 45-50 million? I'm sure now that they could make or break even they'll want to increase payroll from what it is (out of correlation with regular/average increase leaguewide) because they'd like to lose 70 million, not just 35! Because to get Iggy long term after his contract and Kipper long term (if he remains one of the better goalies of the league) and to bring back Conroy will cost alot of $$$.

They say we're jealous - of course we wish it was us in the conf. finals - like what a revelation! But the reason they're getting so rattled up is because they, too, are aware that this is likely just a flash in the pan.

I am not saying that they aren't playing great and that they don't deserve to be where they are - because they certainly do - but to think that the Flames are now some kind of super-deep, super-talented team with a super bright future, they're smoking something. They have no non-hearsay evidence as to why they will be able to continue what has happened to them, while I am using precedent and simple logic.

So which ever poster was nice enough to spread my gospel to those heathen Lame fans, you can go ahead and post this in response to those poor fellows who are convinced the Flames AREN'T over-achieving, and AREN'T going to go backwards, and ARE serious and real contenders for years to come.


Last edited by Jim_Harnock: 05-14-2004 at 12:07 PM.
thome_26 is offline  
Old
05-13-2004, 05:02 PM
  #67
FLAMESFAN
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 2,542
vCash: 50
Any Calgary fan who says we're super deep, and super talented is smoking something - but show me where one poster has said this?
Only thing we are taking some exception to is saying it's all fluke, and we're a flash in the pan. In the next year of hockey we will finish in about the same place as this year (around 90 points). It will still be a battle to make the PO's, and if we do we will have a chance again because of our style.
If the situation was reversed and Edmonton was where we are, and Flames fans said they were a flash in the pan would you take offence?

Games agianst division rivals will mean alot again in who makes the cut and who doesn't. You can bet Sutter will have the Flames ready for the BOA games again.

FLAMESFAN is offline  
Old
05-13-2004, 06:24 PM
  #68
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,935
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Not at all - because any series that the Oilers were to win would have been a big upset (like the Flames) and with how young they are they wouldn't be ready to sustain success like they are having - there is nothing wrong with admitting that your team is playing over it's head - you should be proud of it. But the thing I put to you, is if it's going to be so close again - what if Kipper doesn't play like a top 3 goalie in the NHL next year? Then what? It's not rocket science. When a team wins a bunch of upsets, and is winning because of the style it plays, and not because the team is young and has talent that is emerging - then most WOULD consider it a flash in the pan - I'm sure 90% of the hockey world would agree that the Flames are playing MUCH better then they are.

thome_26 is offline  
Old
05-14-2004, 12:44 AM
  #69
kruezer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 6,281
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
Then, another guy tried to talk how they have good prospects... well... any fool who knows anything about prospects knows they are in rough shape after Phaneuf.
I don't know, its not like they have nothing after Phaneuf, they have some other solid prospects, they ain't a top ten org. or anything, but they can hang out in the 2nd tier of the league decently. I mean the Oilers have much better prospects (especially at forward) but Calgary not bottom of the barrel for prospects or anything.

kruezer is offline  
Old
05-14-2004, 01:25 AM
  #70
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,935
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
bottom of the 2nd tier I would say with only, really three guys - Leopold, Lombardi, and Saprykin - that mean anything to the team that are still younger. The core of the team isn't to old though (mid/late 20ish) granted. Like I said, I think the Flames will be a playoff team but do I think they are a contender or that they have the assets in place to emerge into one? Thats a whole other story.

To me the Flames are at the stage the Oilers were at in the mid/late 90's when success started, but all the attention went to the big club and not to much to the younger kids, and it showed. I can see the Flames in 3-4 years having to do the one step backwards to take two steps forwards - like the Oilers are kind of going through right now.

thome_26 is offline  
Old
05-14-2004, 06:49 AM
  #71
Yanner39
Registered User
 
Yanner39's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Ottawa ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,334
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kruezer
I don't know, its not like they have nothing after Phaneuf, they have some other solid prospects, they ain't a top ten org. or anything, but they can hang out in the 2nd tier of the league decently. I mean the Oilers have much better prospects (especially at forward) but Calgary not bottom of the barrel for prospects or anything.
The thing is, who cares if the Flames have nothing after Phaneuf. The team is so young, they have a good nucleus for the next 10 years. I sick of small market teams like the Oilers and Flames always trying to defend their stable of future players. I think both teams have done enough building these last 6-7-8 years. Enough building and enough being outrage when a third round puick is dealt.

Anyways, the thread is kinda off topic right now.

Yanner39 is offline  
Old
05-17-2004, 10:39 PM
  #72
windowlicker
Registered User
 
windowlicker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Murky Wisconsin
Country: United States
Posts: 2,182
vCash: 500
Looks like Calgary is trapping their way to a 3-0 win tonight and a win away from the Stanley Cup final. Will this nightmare ever end?

windowlicker is offline  
Old
05-17-2004, 11:01 PM
  #73
Digger12
Gold Fever
 
Digger12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Back o' beyond
Posts: 15,472
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by windowlicker
Looks like Calgary is trapping their way to a 3-0 win tonight and a win away from the Stanley Cup final. Will this nightmare ever end?
Yeah, the Sharks looked like they had a GIANT case of the yips in this game...handling the puck like a hand grenade at the point, Nabokov guessing all over the place...neither team seems to want to be the favourite here.

So now what happens in Calgary? It'll be interesting to see how SJ responds.

Digger12 is online now  
Old
05-17-2004, 11:32 PM
  #74
Mizral
Registered User
 
Mizral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Earth, MW
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,175
vCash: 500
My dad can beat up your dad...


Honestly, who cares. Yeah, the Flames are better than the Oilers. They're better than the Canucks too right now. Will they be better than the Oilers next year? Probobly, but what are ya gonna do.

Mizral is offline  
Old
05-19-2004, 10:39 PM
  #75
windowlicker
Registered User
 
windowlicker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Murky Wisconsin
Country: United States
Posts: 2,182
vCash: 500
Well, the end of the world is here. The Calgary Flames are in the Stanley Cup Finals.
I know this cant be true, because its impossible.

Im not even talking about....... what are some other possibilities that come from this outcome.

windowlicker is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:35 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.