HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL

Dale Hunter and his future?

Old
04-27-2010, 04:38 PM
playthetrap*

vCash: 500
Dale Hunter and his future?

OK, first of all, I'm not about to start tossing around rumours that the Hunter(s) are leaving the Knights. We heard that enough after the Knights' Memorial Cup win 5 years ago.

But...Dale was saying on HockeyCentral with Kypreos about how he'd like to get a shot at the Stanley Cup again. Kyper later said that Dale for sure, one day will be coaching in the NHL. Of course, listening to that, you never get much out of Dale, but he did hint at the fact. There was another article today in the lfpress written by Morris Dalla Costa about how it is a good time for Dale to try at the NHL level and how there are jobs available right now. http://www.lfpress.com/sports/column.../13731611.html

With his kids being done (I think), and Jacques Beaulieu being the assistant (he had a lot to do with the success this season), it looks like it could be only a matter of time. What does everyone else think?

playthetrap* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 04:55 PM
Juice*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsfan40 View Post
OK, first of all, I'm not about to start tossing around rumours that the Hunter(s) are leaving the Knights. We heard that enough after the Knights' Memorial Cup win 5 years ago.

But...Dale was saying on HockeyCentral with Kypreos about how he'd like to get a shot at the Stanley Cup again. Kyper later said that Dale for sure, one day will be coaching in the NHL. Of course, listening to that, you never get much out of Dale, but he did hint at the fact. There was another article today in the lfpress written by Morris Dalla Costa about how it is a good time for Dale to try at the NHL level and how there are jobs available right now. http://www.lfpress.com/sports/column.../13731611.html

With his kids being done (I think), and Jacques Beaulieu being the assistant (he had a lot to do with the success this season), it looks like it could be only a matter of time. What does everyone else think?
my guess is boudreau fired within the next 6 months....dale takes over.

Juice* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 07:59 PM
EvenSteven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juice View Post

.... especially if the Caps lose to the Habs tomorrow night!!!

If Dale does eventually move on, he'd better take Beaulieu with him ... or at least surround himself with a very knowledgeable set of assistants!

I've always said that Dale is not all that elite a coach. He has had good assistants over the years who do the technical side of the game and don't forget the fact that brother Mark and his GM skills have a lot to do with the Knights success as well.

Having said that, perhaps the job he and the staff did this year with a substandard (by Knight's standards) roster may have revealed Dale actually being a high end coach after all. I keep telling people that once you toss out the OT/SO losses, London finished with 2 less wins this year than Windsor. That in itself is a major accomplishment when you look at the two rosters!!

If he were to get the Washington job if Boudreau does get the axe if the Caps go on to have a bad post season, he'd definately shock the hell out of that country club atmosphere that currently resides in Capland.

EvenSteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 01:51 PM
Edges7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juice View Post
He didn't pick the goaltenders that he has and until they get one who can rise to the playoff occasion, Toe Blake, with Scotty Bowman and Al Arbour as assistants, couldn't win it with that team...

Edges7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 05:00 PM
JL17

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvenSteven View Post
.... especially if the Caps lose to the Habs tomorrow night!!!

If Dale does eventually move on, he'd better take Beaulieu with him ... or at least surround himself with a very knowledgeable set of assistants!

I've always said that Dale is not all that elite a coach. He has had good assistants over the years who do the technical side of the game and don't forget the fact that brother Mark and his GM skills have a lot to do with the Knights success as well.

Having said that, perhaps the job he and the staff did this year with a substandard (by Knight's standards) roster may have revealed Dale actually being a high end coach after all. I keep telling people that once you toss out the OT/SO losses, London finished with 2 less wins this year than Windsor. That in itself is a major accomplishment when you look at the two rosters!!

If he were to get the Washington job if Boudreau does get the axe if the Caps go on to have a bad post season, he'd definately shock the hell out of that country club atmosphere that currently resides in Capland.
From what's been said in the media in London Dale's only works on the PP for the most part. The rest of the systems work and so on goes to the Asst. Coaches. London last year had Curico(horrible coach IMO) behind the bench and struggled in there own end and struggled to find a system. This year they had the exact same record as last year with half the talent but twice the Asst Coach behind the bench. IMO the record goes to show you how good the Asst's are.

I don't think Dale is cut out to be an NHL coach. He can do the X's and O's but everything else he doesn't like doing.

JL17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 06:00 PM
jughead42

I've never been much impressed with Hunter as a coach, even though you can't really deny Londons success with him behind the bench. I have just seen too many situations where a time out will be called and Hunter will be picking his nose while the other team's coach is actually coaching. I've seen too many mind boggling decisions with starting goaltenders to think he's an elite coach. I think he's good in junior where he has the respect of the young kids, and they look up to him and are able to learn from him. In the NHL, I think he's out of his league.

jughead42 is online now   Reply With Quote