HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

John Nabokov

Closed Thread

Old
05-10-2004, 01:55 PM
BruinsGirl

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyacheslav
That's my friend's name, except she spells it Olha. She's from Ukraine, though.

I am from Ukraine too (I am Russian though).

Olha = Olga..It's just in Ukrainian language "g" is between "g" and "h"..(closer to the English "h")

You've learned Russian names very well!

Old
05-10-2004, 02:06 PM
Vyacheslav
That one guy

Send a message via AIM to Vyacheslav
Quote:
Originally Posted by islandnucker
I think that you can relax a little bit Mr. Jump the Gun. By reading his post it was Nabakov that said that to the Kentucky media, not the goalie named stonedkoala.
Relax? Great show man is my way of showing I approve. Not sure what stonedkoala has to do with this, though.

Quote:
The story behind the whole "call me John" story is as simple as Kentucky.
Now maybe I'm lacking reading comprehension, but I don't see how it was Nabokov who said that. He compared the story to Kentucky, saying both were simple. And that's some funny stuff.

Old
05-10-2004, 02:08 PM
thestonedkoala

vCash:
*is thoroughly confused*

What the hell did I do?

Old
05-10-2004, 02:08 PM
Vyacheslav
That one guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsGirl
I am from Ukraine too (I am Russian though).

Olha = Olga..It's just in Ukrainian language "g" is between "g" and "h"..(closer to the English "h")

You've learned Russian names very well!
Yep, some guy from Belarus told me it's Volha there.

And thanks, Russian is my favorite language and I like learning as much as I can.

Old
05-10-2004, 02:10 PM
thestonedkoala

vCash:
Rock on BruinsGirl! That totally rocks! I love Russian history!

Old
05-10-2004, 02:12 PM
Patty Ice
Best in the World

Send a message via AIM to Patty Ice Send a message via MSN to Patty Ice
Quote:
But do you know why he picked John?

BTW did you just insult Kentucky? Great show, man.
As far as picking John...I'm thinking because its pretty much a standard American name.

05-10-2004, 02:13 PM
islandnucker

Send a message via ICQ to islandnucker
Quote:
Relax? Great show man is my way of showing I approve. Not sure what stonedkoala has to do with this, though.
Now maybe I'm lacking reading comprehension, but I don't see how it was Nabokov who said that. He compared the story to Kentucky, saying both were simple. And that's some funny stuff.
Sorry then man. You put the "great show man" right after you asked if he insulted some people.

I just got mixed up on who you were quoting, thought it was stonekoala but it wasn't.

Old
05-10-2004, 02:14 PM
thestonedkoala

vCash:
Dude, I live in one of the most Southern States in the Union...

Old
05-10-2004, 04:11 PM
ObeySteve
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to ObeySteve
God forbid some people actually like to assimilate into society...

Old
05-10-2004, 05:58 PM
Vyacheslav
That one guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObeySteve
God forbid some people actually like to assimilate into society...
No one's criticizing Nabokov. But on the other hand, I don't think you'd see a lot of Western European hockey players go to Russia and change their name from Paul to Pavel. It's an interesting topic.

Old
05-10-2004, 09:47 PM
jc4shrx

Send a message via AIM to jc4shrx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty Ice XXX
As far as picking John...I'm thinking because its pretty much a standard American name.
The story I heard was that his agent's secretary could not pronounce or spell Evgeni so s/he (not sure of gender) picked John. And basically Nabby just never corrected it. One of his teammates asked him what his real name was and told him he should speak up if he wanted to be called Evgeni. But I think by then John had stuck.

I read that somewhere but don't remember where.

Old
05-11-2004, 06:08 PM
Stastny

Send a message via AIM to Stastny
I read an article somewhere about Nabokov a few years ago and I was just skimming it and they started talking about John and I got all confused as to who that was. I had to look through the article to find where they said who that was. I have always wondered why, but I just figured he got pissed off at people mispronouncing Evgeni.

Old
05-12-2004, 01:34 AM
Ensane
EL GUAPO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc4shrx
The story I heard was that his agent's secretary could not pronounce or spell Evgeni so s/he (not sure of gender) picked John. And basically Nabby just never corrected it. One of his teammates asked him what his real name was and told him he should speak up if he wanted to be called Evgeni. But I think by then John had stuck.

I read that somewhere but don't remember where.
From what I remember, he came over originally as Yevgeni, then some mix up happened (or, as I always assumed, he went to John to Americanize his name). Then he went back to Evgeni dropping the "Y" for some reason. I dunno, at this pont I've heard about 5 stories behidn it.

If you pronounce the G in Evgeni or Yevgeni, it sounds like a J. I assume then the J sound with an N subsequently following was how she came up with John.

Old
05-12-2004, 01:43 AM
Vyacheslav
That one guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensane
From what I remember, he came over originally as Yevgeni, then some mix up happened (or, as I always assumed, he went to John to Americanize his name). Then he went back to Evgeni dropping the "Y" for some reason. I dunno, at this pont I've heard about 5 stories behidn it.
Yevgeni and Evgeni are the same thing. Russian E's are pronounced like ye so no matter which way you spell it, it sounds the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensane
If you pronounce the G in Evgeni or Yevgeni, it sounds like a J. I assume then the J sound with an N subsequently following was how she came up with John.
No, that is not a russian sound. There is not a j sound in the cyrillic alphabet. The russian g is always hard(like go) and to make a J sound for people who have a J in their name, they have to put two letters together, дж(dzh).

Old
05-12-2004, 03:49 AM
Ensane
EL GUAPO

Quote:
Yevgeni and Evgeni are the same thing. Russian E's are pronounced like ye so no matter which way you spell it, it sounds the same.
Right, but on paper they are different -- especially in the AHL/NHL records.

Quote:
No, that is not a russian sound. There is not a j sound in the cyrillic alphabet. The russian g is always hard(like go) and to make a J sound for people who have a J in their name, they have to put two letters together, дж(dzh).
Ok, but I'm justifying how an American secretary would have pronounced it.

Old
05-12-2004, 06:55 AM
canucks666

Quote:
No one's criticizing Nabokov. But on the other hand, I don't think you'd see a lot of Western European hockey players go to Russia and change their name from Paul to Pavel. It's an interesting topic.

i don't understand it either. I mean especially that minor league team story........

it's only 25 other guys tops that he has to teach to say "Yev-geh-niy". This isn't rocket science.

Hell - Yev-gah-ni would work too. but john? pfft

Old
05-12-2004, 08:05 AM
Vyacheslav
That one guy

The thing I don't get is that Yevgeni is not that hard of a name to pronounce. It's not like his name is Boleslauczieuzczki. Russian names should be very easy to pronounce because they're spelled like they're pronounced. Of course the average person will miss the details of saying it Russian style but that's to be expected. The slavic names that use the latin alphabet are much harder to pronounce, like Polish and Czech, and I understand why people have problems with them. I think people look at russian names and get intimidated, just sound them out you'll get close enough to acceptability.

Closed Thread