HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Round 2: Detroit vs. San Jose (this is last years series 2010)

View Poll Results: Who and in how many games?
Detroit in 4 2 1.71%
Detroit in 5 16 13.68%
Detroit in 6 57 48.72%
Detroit in 7 13 11.11%
San Jose in 4 3 2.56%
San Jose in 5 4 3.42%
San Jose in 6 12 10.26%
San Jose in 7 10 8.55%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
04-28-2010, 11:36 AM
Yemack

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger98 View Post
If the Wings come out and smoke them in game 1, I'm not sure it would be a sign of SJ choking so much as Detroit just getting on a roll. And if the Wings are rolling, yeah, 5 games is very possible against anyone in these playoffs.
There are alot of IFs involved though.

Anyway I like our chances against any team.

Old
04-28-2010, 11:37 AM
Ricelund
We like our team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yemack View Post
On paper, Sharks are the better team. They have depth that Wings can't match and they are actually bigger and thus it will be hard to win some board battles against them.
Yeah, but how many times have we heard that before? The difference is what isn't on paper, and that's the Wings have proven they can win in the playoffs while the Sharks haven't proven anything.

Also:

Lidstrom-Rafalski
Kronwall-Stuart
Ericsson-Lilja

vs.

Boyle-Vlasic
Blake-Demers
Huskins-Murray

I still take the Detroit defense every time... I mean, they're relying on Rob Blake to play 20+ minutes back there. He's still good but none of their defensemen are defensive studs.

Last edited by Ricelund: 04-28-2010 at 11:46 AM.
Old
04-28-2010, 11:46 AM
Yemack

Quote:
Originally Posted by arice89 View Post
Yeah, but how many times have we heard that before? Also:

Lidstrom-Rafalski
Kronwall-Stuart
Ericsson-Lilja

vs.

Boyle-Vlasic
Blake-Demers
Huskins-Murray

I still take the Detroit defense every time... I mean, they're relying on Rob Blake to play 20+ minutes back there. He's still good but none of their defensemen are defensive studs.
you are right. Wings have the edge in defence but IMO they will have a hard time containing big sharks forwards. (I'm not talking about any intangible stuffs here. Just on paper.)

Sharks do have the edge in other area. Plus they have proven they are an elite team a season long. Wings haven't. We can say Wings underperformed for whatever reasons but really, it's just a hypothetical argument. Though it's a very valid argument and the one I agree.

Okay maybe I have gone little bit overboard but my bottom line is that I think Sharks are as dangerous as Hawks and should be recognized as so. Simply, they are NHL's top team.

Old
04-28-2010, 11:52 AM
Ricelund
We like our team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yemack View Post
Sharks do have the edge in other area. Plus they have proven they are an elite team a season long. Wings haven't. We can say Wings underperformed for whatever reasons but really, it's just a hypothetical argument. Though it's a very valid argument and the one I agree.

Okay maybe I have gone little bit overboard but my bottom line is that I think Sharks are as dangerous as Hawks and should be recognized as so. Simply, they are NHL's top team.
Meh, how would the Sharks have fared without the following for long stretches during the season:

Kronwall/Blake
Filppula/Pavelski
Franzen/Marleau

These are the three biggest injuries the Wings had to deal with, not even mentioning the other injuries (Zetterberg, Holmstrom, Lilja, Ericsson, Cleary, Williams, Eaves, etc.) If they were healthy most of the season they'd be right up there with SJ.

The Sharks aren't recognized as "as dangerous as the Hawks" because their big players historically don't show up in April and May. That could change this year, though.

Old
04-28-2010, 11:56 AM
Esoteric Ubiquity*

Quote:
Yeah, but how many times have we heard that before? The difference is what isn't on paper, and that's the Wings have proven they can win in the playoffs while the Sharks haven't proven anything.

Also:

Lidstrom-Rafalski
Kronwall-Stuart
Ericsson-Lilja

vs.

Boyle-Vlasic
Blake-Demers
Huskins-Murray

Boyle-Murray
Blake-Vlasic
Huskins-Demers
Wallin

is how things have been breaking down lately.

Old
04-28-2010, 11:58 AM
Ricelund
We like our team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bridge View Post
Boyle-Murray
Blake-Vlasic
Huskins-Demers
Wallin

is how things have been breaking down lately.
Why has Wallin been scratched? Just not playing up to par?

Old
04-28-2010, 12:00 PM
zetterberg40

Send a message via AIM to zetterberg40
Quote:
Originally Posted by parabola View Post
Wings in 7 so I can finally have my Detroit vs Vancouver matchup. Please?
Otay.. only if the nucks can win in 7 as well in very low scoring games, while losing in very high scoring games. I got cash on players on chicago so i need more goals

Old
04-28-2010, 12:04 PM
Esoteric Ubiquity*

Quote:
Why has Wallin been scratched? Just not playing up to par?

It's my understanding he is broken somewhere,.he wasn't seen at all during Round 1.

Old
04-28-2010, 12:23 PM
TOPGUN
I Am Terrible!

Lets hope this Joe Thorthon shows up

Or this one

Old
04-28-2010, 12:32 PM
TheMoreYouKnow

I think people underestimate the Sharks. I think they will come out flying in the first games and try to physically impose themselves. If you are the Sharks this is the perfect opportunity to get that monkey off their backs. Remember, the Wings were decried as playoff chokers for half a decade before the breakout Cup win in 97. Teams do usually put it together eventually if they have the quality.

Old
04-28-2010, 12:38 PM
JumboShark19

Even though the Sharks have been playoff chokers in past few years, the 3rd and 4th lines have been completely gutted and replaced after last season. Yes, it is your top players that have to step it up in the playoffs, but our grinders (Malhotra and Nichol) as well as some of our up and coming young guys (Demers, Couture, McGinn) may provide a component that was missing in other Sharks teams.

Mostly, I think it will come down to how Nabokov plays compared to Howard. Homer provides a great presence in front of the net and the Sharks really need to get in the eyes of Howard if they want some success. Having 40-50 shots mean nothing if the goalie gets clear looks at the puck or if they are hitting them in the chest.

There is something that seems different this year with this Sharks team. Even though the Burger Line (Jumbo Heated Patty) combined for only 1 goal, the Sharks found a way to win and that just wouldn't have happened in years past.

Overall, it should be a very exciting series. For the Sharks to be the best, they have to beat the best. Good Luck Wings fans!

Last edited by JumboShark19: 04-30-2010 at 11:49 AM.
Old
04-28-2010, 12:41 PM
internetdotcom
11 + 15 + 19 = 666

Send a message via MSN to internetdotcom Send a message via Yahoo to internetdotcom
Sens fan here. Just want Wings fans to know I'll be rooting for the Wings all the way. I call Wings in 6.

Old
04-28-2010, 01:00 PM
sarcastro

vCash: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton View Post
How long has this been said about the Sharks? How many times have people said the Wings don't look like they have it and exceed expectations?
How many years did people say it about the Wings in the 90s before they broke through? McClellan is not Scotty, but it's still possible he will get that team over the hump.

Quote:
Cool. Let's see if this is the year for SJ, you seem to believe in them (or at least more than the Wings). Every year in playoff brackets I see people waste ~$30 picking them.

The Sharks can definitely beat the Wings, but let's see if their 'killer instinct' and talent finally comes out.
I'm not sure either team would stand much chance against the Caps or Pens, to be quite honest with you. Then again the Caps might lose to the Habs, so what sense does that make...

This is what I based my prediction on:

1. Sharks have the size, speed, and skill to cycle the Wings to death down low.
2. Wings have been alternating between "on top of their game" and "out of gas".
3. Sharks are likely to figure things out some time, and this Wings team is the most flawed one we've seen in a while and so I consider the likelihood of these arcs intersecting to be greater than 50%.
4. The Wings' defense still worries me, as they seem to only bother defending every other game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8snake View Post
The Yotes were a faster, more physical team than the Sharks...though not as skilled. Sarcastro, it seems you keep confusing this Sharks teams with the big, fast Sharks teams of a few years ago. They have good speed on their bottom six (as does Detroit) but overall they aren't any faster or more physical than Detroit. They damn sure arent as physical as the Ducks of '09 or '07. You maintain if the Sharks "put it together" they could destroy Detroit...what do you mean? You see some kind of slumbering giant?
I do indeed. They've got 7 or 8 legit goal scorers on that roster by my count. Where the Wings have too many bottom 6 forwards, the Sharks have too many top 6 forwards. They've got a mobile defense that's highly skilled and has some grit to it. They've got a goalie who has played like crap against the Wings more often than not, but who is also capable of playing well enough to win a series against the Wings. And they have a coach that knows Babcock as well as anybody.

They've come up empty over and over again, but if they put together a complete series they will be damn near impossible to beat. I'm hoping they don't, but in this case I find it hard to believe that the Wings will put together a complete series either. I believe the depth of skill and size that the Sharks have will be the difference, if I am allowed to give my honest opinion.

I hope I'm wrong, I really do. But I'm not a homer and I think the Sharks will win in 7. I guess that makes me a bad person...

Old
04-28-2010, 01:07 PM
Heaton
#disapointment

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro View Post
I hope I'm wrong, I really do. But I'm not a homer and I think the Sharks will win in 7. I guess that makes me a bad person...
Not a bad person, but you're going on how things should be based on how it stacks up on paper, not on the ice. It rarely plays out that way.

Old
04-28-2010, 02:04 PM
crashman

vCash: 1376
Game 1 is at 9:00PM on Thursday, according to http://sharks.nhl.com

Old
04-28-2010, 02:06 PM
sarcastro

vCash: 663
Quote:
Not a bad person, but you're going on how things should be based on how it stacks up on paper, not on the ice. It rarely plays out that way.
Well the series hasn't started, and you can't make predictions after the series starts (by definition), so all predictions are based on paper.

Old
04-28-2010, 02:09 PM
jkrx

Sharks wins the first game but then they choke and the wings takes the final 4 games.

Old
04-28-2010, 02:34 PM
aar000n

I think thw Wings can play the way they played game 7 if they do they can sweep and if they sweep they get more rest for the next round.

Old
04-28-2010, 02:36 PM
Tkachuk4MVP
22 Years of Fail

Quote:
Well why even discuss it then? There haven't been any games played yet, so as of right now it's all on paper.

If the Sharks play like they did in Games 2-6 against the Avs and can get something (anything!) from the Big 3, then they can win this series. I feel like our 2nd, 3rd, and 4th lines are not going to be intimidated by that Red Wings' logo and come out firing, but it's our defense and goaltending that has me skeptical. Nabby in particular just becomes a different player when he faces the Wings, and our D is slower than average and can be prone to making more than few bonheaded mistakes in their own zone.

And I didn't see an answer so I'll ask it again to you Wings fans: if you're Babcock do you match Zetterberg up against Thornton's line and Datsyuk against Pavelski's or vice versa?

Old
04-28-2010, 02:36 PM
TheGooooch
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSlapper View Post
sharks fan here.

As much as I would like to say it's going to be different this time around, I wont. As long as the have Joe "Tin Man" Thornton and Patricia Marleau, this team will not make it past the second round.

I fully expect the sharks to lose this series and it would not be choking because it is expected. If the sharks win (very doubtful) it will be a nice suprise, if they lose Thornton, Marleau and Nabokov are gone.

I think Turco will be the starting goal tender for the sharks next season.

Just because your avatar has a Sharks picture, doesn't mean you are a Sharks fan. You jumped the Wing bandwagon a while ago and only come in to post how bad the Sharks are.

Old
04-28-2010, 02:39 PM
Esoteric Ubiquity*

Quote:
Originally Posted by internetdotcom View Post
Sens fan here. Just want Wings fans to know I'll be rooting for the Wings all the way. I call Wings in 6.
Still bitter eh?

Here's to a good series

Old
04-28-2010, 02:44 PM
Heaton
#disapointment

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkachuk4MVP View Post
Well why even discuss it then? There haven't been any games played yet, so as of right now it's all on paper.
There's a history here. Wings fans bring up the correlation between the Wings being looked at as chokers in the '90's and the Sharks now, but the big difference is the amount of time that label was placed on each respective team. The Sharks have been looking to break through for over a decade. So when I say it's on paper, I'm talking about the SJ Sharks big, fast, skilled team that everyone fears. We know it's there, it just rarely comes out in the post season. I'm probably coming off as arrogant, but we see this every. single. season.

Quote:
And I didn't see an answer so I'll ask it again to you Wings fans: if you're Babcock do you match Zetterberg up against Thornton's line and Datsyuk against Pavelski's or vice versa?
I'd match up Z against Thornton since he can shut them down and produce. Datsyuk/Franzen/Cleary can match up against the Pavelski line.

Last edited by Heaton: 04-28-2010 at 03:25 PM.
Old
04-28-2010, 02:45 PM
The Perfect Paradox

San Jose has arguably been the worst playoff performers since the lock-out, but you still can't count them out. They are a well balanced team that has all the tools to take down any team in the league. I'm going to say that they take the 'Wings to 6 games.

LETS GO RED WINGS!

Old
04-28-2010, 03:34 PM
SonomaShark
The sidebar is suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro View Post
I'm not sure either team would stand much chance against the Caps or Pens, to be quite honest with you. Then again the Caps might lose to the Habs, so what sense does that make...
The Caps and Pens are in the Leastern Conference. The Caps would not have had anywhere near as much success in any of the Western divisions. The Pens are not as good as last year either. I honestly believe that any of the Western Conference top 5 would beat the Caps or Pens in the SCF.

Old
04-28-2010, 03:42 PM
internetdotcom
11 + 15 + 19 = 666

Send a message via MSN to internetdotcom Send a message via Yahoo to internetdotcom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bridge View Post
Still bitter eh?

Here's to a good series
I'm not going to waste any more of the skin on my fingers explaining myself to Sharks fans AGAIN. If you are unable to read and/or understand ANY of what I've said on the topic by now, you never will. Good day.

Go Wings!

Closed Thread