HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Round 2: Detroit vs. San Jose (this is last years series 2010)

View Poll Results: Who and in how many games?
Detroit in 4 2 1.71%
Detroit in 5 16 13.68%
Detroit in 6 57 48.72%
Detroit in 7 13 11.11%
San Jose in 4 3 2.56%
San Jose in 5 4 3.42%
San Jose in 6 12 10.26%
San Jose in 7 10 8.55%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
04-28-2010, 03:49 PM
sarcastro

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthBaySharksFan View Post
The Caps and Pens are in the Leastern Conference. The Caps would not have had anywhere near as much success in any of the Western divisions. The Pens are not as good as last year either. I honestly believe that any of the Western Conference top 5 would beat the Caps or Pens in the SCF.
The Eastern Conference also doesn't destroy each other the way the West does, and so whoever makes it out is much fresher and healthier and in a better position to take out a worn-down, half-broken Western Conference champion. Look what happened last year. 2006. 2004. 2003.

Anaheim would have given the Pens a hell of a fight if they had beaten the Wings -those teams were both better than the Pens, but the Ducks took so much out of the Wings that by the time the back end of the Finals came around the whole Wings roster was gimping around on bad legs, arms, ribs, backs, and balls.

Old
04-28-2010, 04:15 PM
Esoteric Ubiquity*

Mod: deleted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aar000n View Post
I think thw Wings can play the way they played game 7 if they do they can sweep and if they sweep they get more rest for the next round.
IF the Wings can keep up the kind of play they had in the second period of game 7, there's no one in the West that beat them. I don't think they can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton View Post
There's a history here. Wings fans bring up the correlation between the Wings being looked at as chokers in the '90's and the Sharks now, but the big difference is the amount of time that label was placed on each respective team. The Sharks have been looking to break through for over a decade. So when I say it's on paper, I'm talking about the SJ Sharks big, fast, skilled team that everyone fears. We know it's there, it just rarely comes out in the post season. I'm probably coming off as arrogant, but we see this every. single. season.
For over a decade? What reference point are you using? I'd say 93-94 or 03-04 are better reference points, as there's a lot of doldrum-esque play in the in-between years.

Last edited by Fugu: 04-29-2010 at 07:21 AM. Reason: we don't do those gifs on this board ;)
Old
04-28-2010, 05:13 PM
SharkMight

Quote:
Originally Posted by arice89 View Post
Why has Wallin been scratched? Just not playing up to par?
Wallin has an injury

Old
04-28-2010, 05:14 PM
DetBigWangs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT500x View Post
Don't sleep on the Sharks. They got all the tools to beat the Wings
Sure, and all those tools play on their 2nd line, not their first.

Old
04-28-2010, 05:43 PM
14ari13

Are the Sharks afraid of the Wings after watching the game 7?
Who is the favourite in the series, the Sharks as the top seeding, or the Wings as the conference champs?

The pressure is on the Sharks.

Old
04-28-2010, 06:23 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyinHD View Post
If SJ loses game 1, though... man. That series could go quick. Like, 4 or 5 games quick.
You said the same thing about the Phx series.

Old
04-28-2010, 06:25 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

I sure hope all the Wings fans making fun of the Sharks remember what kind of reps that Yzerman (can't win big games), Datsyuk (game is too soft for the playoffs), Lidstrom (Dickless Lidstrom) and Zetterberg (too soft for the playoffs) had earlier in their career.

And how, of course, those reputations change.

Old
04-28-2010, 06:30 PM
TheMoreYouKnow

The pressure is on them that is true, it seems the pressure is always on the Sharks. The Wings weren't even in the playoff spots as late as March and have had a tough season, have already won a playoff series against a higher seed, if they don't make it back to the conference finals and lose to the #1 seed nobody will throw them under a bus. Now with the Sharks there would be talk of shipping out their best players if they lose to us. It's do or die for the Thornton/Marleau Sharks.

Old
04-28-2010, 06:37 PM
sparr0w

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSlapper View Post
sharks fan here.

As much as I would like to say it's going to be different this time around, I wont. As long as the have Joe "Tin Man" Thornton and Patricia Marleau, this team will not make it past the second round.

I fully expect the sharks to lose this series and it would not be choking because it is expected. If the sharks win (very doubtful) it will be a nice suprise, if they lose Thornton, Marleau and Nabokov are gone.

I think Turco will be the starting goal tender for the sharks next season.
If getting by the Wings is the goal for the Sharks, that would probably be the single worst goalie decision Wilson could make. Turco's record vs the Wings mirrors the Sharks record at Joe Louis Arena.

Old
04-28-2010, 06:43 PM
Esoteric Ubiquity*

Quote:
Originally Posted by norrisnick View Post
If getting by the Wings is the goal for the Sharks, that would probably be the single worst goalie decision Wilson could make. Turco's record vs the Wings mirrors the Sharks record at Joe Louis Arena.
Don't mind him, he's a Red Wings bandwagoner in disguise.

Old
04-28-2010, 06:45 PM
Heaton
#hope

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
I sure hope all the Wings fans making fun of the Sharks remember what kind of reps that Yzerman (can't win big games), Datsyuk (game is too soft for the playoffs), Lidstrom (Dickless Lidstrom) and Zetterberg (too soft for the playoffs) had earlier in their career.

Note the difference between the teams.

Old
04-28-2010, 08:14 PM
TheGooooch

Mod: deleted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14ari13 View Post
Are the Sharks afraid of the Wings after watching the game 7?
Who is the favourite in the series, the Sharks as the top seeding, or the Wings as the conference champs?

The pressure is on the Sharks.
I don't think they are afraid because of game 7. They know how the Wings play.

I would have to assume a majority picks the Wings in this match up considering the Sharks awesome 2nd round history

Last edited by Fugu: 04-29-2010 at 07:19 AM. Reason: this is the Wings board after all
Old
04-28-2010, 09:44 PM
HockeyinHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
You said the same thing about the Phx series.
And?

Quote:

Be honest. How many of those things were you saying?

Old
04-28-2010, 10:34 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton View Post
Note the difference between the teams.
What does that mean?

Old
04-28-2010, 10:41 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyinHD View Post
And?

Be honest. How many of those things were you saying?
Honestly? None of them. I've been a big supporter of all four guys. At one point, when it appeared the Wings were going to be unable to sign Datsyuk, I felt it might be prudent to trade him (gah, in retrospect), but to me, the problem with the Datsyuk-Zetterberg era wings was Lang, Schneider, Williams, Ozzie, Legace and a bunch of other older guys (even Shanny in the later years) who lacked the speed/work ethic for the playoffs.
And with Yzerman, I was one of those guys who was livid that Detroit might trade him. I was stoked when he raised the cup the first time. And his performance in 2002, to me, is the greatest example of leadership in sports I've EVER seen.
I've been a big fan of Lidstrom since he was a rookie and I've never felt he was "the problem" when Detroit had tough years.

Old
04-29-2010, 12:51 AM
theYman

Detroit in 6

Old
04-29-2010, 02:20 AM
allworldcaucasn*

Send a message via AIM to allworldcaucasn*
Quote:
Originally Posted by aar000n View Post
I think thw Wings can play the way they played game 7 if they do they can sweep and if they sweep they get more rest for the next round.
Don't worry wings fans, this guy has it figured out. seriously though, it should be a barn burner series. Too close to call at this point.

Old
04-29-2010, 03:30 AM
CorbeauNoir

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJfortheCUP View Post
Don't worry wings fans, this guy has it figured out. seriously though, it should be a barn burner series. Too close to call at this point.
ESPN calls for Wings in 7, in triple overtime

Old
04-29-2010, 10:36 AM
PocketGnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJfortheCUP View Post
To be honest, he's entirely on point. IF the Wings play the way they did in game 7, there is no team in the league who will stop them. The problem is there were 6 games in the first series in which the Wings didn't play like they did in game 7.

To me, this series will play out much like the Phoenix one did. Two teams battling back and fourth. I expect this series to be 2-2 after 4 games, each team taking one in each others buildings. Would not be surprised at all to see this go to 7.

And, I think it's an absolute no brainer to put Z on Thorton's line. Let Pavel play against Pavelski for game 1, and until Thornton starts scoring I don't think you change anything. At the end of the day, Thorton, Heatly and Marleau are the Sharks most dangerous players. You put your best defensive forward against them.

If Babcock wanted to, he could play Lidstrom again Pavelski/Setoguchi/Clowe and Zetterberg against Thorton/Heatley/Marleau or vice versa. Having one of those lines against the 2nd defensive pairing scares me a little though.

Last edited by PocketGnome: 04-29-2010 at 10:55 AM.
Old
04-29-2010, 11:17 AM
Howard35

Send a message via AIM to Howard35
did anyone draw up this conclusion?

Ok, San Jose scheduled a Concert in May at the HP Pav for Friday and Saturday.

What I gained from this is that even their own town didnt think they would make it past the first round and they started scheduling events.

Oh snap?

I gotta smack talk a little

Old
04-29-2010, 11:28 AM
sarcastro

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketGnome View Post
To be honest, he's entirely on point. IF the Wings play the way they did in game 7, there is no team in the league who will stop them. The problem is there were 6 games in the first series in which the Wings didn't play like they did in game 7.

To me, this series will play out much like the Phoenix one did. Two teams battling back and fourth. I expect this series to be 2-2 after 4 games, each team taking one in each others buildings. Would not be surprised at all to see this go to 7.

And, I think it's an absolute no brainer to put Z on Thorton's line. Let Pavel play against Pavelski for game 1, and until Thornton starts scoring I don't think you change anything. At the end of the day, Thorton, Heatly and Marleau are the Sharks most dangerous players. You put your best defensive forward against them.

If Babcock wanted to, he could play Lidstrom again Pavelski/Setoguchi/Clowe and Zetterberg against Thorton/Heatley/Marleau or vice versa. Having one of those lines against the 2nd defensive pairing scares me a little though.

You do remember that game 7 from last June, right? When the Wings had a better team? Ugh.

Old
04-29-2010, 11:52 AM
Esoteric Ubiquity*

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetterberg40 View Post

What I gained from this is that even their own town didnt think they would make it past the first round and they started scheduling events.

Oh snap?

2/10

HP Pavillion is the busiest arena in the country. =/

Old
04-29-2010, 12:02 PM
Fugu

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bridge View Post
2/10

HP Pavillion is the busiest arena in the country. =/

Are you sure about that? (kdb probably has the figures handy)

Old
04-29-2010, 01:34 PM
Jaws666

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetterberg40 View Post

Oh snap?

Yeah, the schedule snafu could have been avoided.

But then, who knew it would take the Wings so long to finish the first round?

Old
04-29-2010, 01:53 PM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaws666 View Post
Yeah, the schedule snafu could have been avoided.

But then, who knew it would take the Wings so long to finish the first round?

Babcock. He had tickets for the Saturday concert.