HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Wings Round 1 MVP?

Old
04-28-2010, 09:36 AM
Flowah

vCash: 500
If I had to pick ONE, it would be Howard.

Not enough mentions for Howard. A shutout and a few GREAT games where he basically kept us in and allowed the offense to win it. Seriously. Some of the saves he made were just incredible and without them, I think the series was lost.

Z and Dats were fantastic of course. Filppula was a beast. He was a puck handling madman and he was causing turnovers left and right, setting people up, creating rebounds and leading to goals and scoring some of his own. Really, it's the first time I've been so consistently impressed by him and I looooove it. I love that he gets a good line to play top line minutes with and now he's showing us he's totally worth every penny.

Lidstrom of course. What kinda old over the hill man puts up 2 goals and 1 assist in a game 7 on the road? What a geezer. He's done, stick a fork in him. Hahahaha. Kronwall and Stuart were pretty damn solid.

Abdelkader. Jeez. Never play Williams again, keep Gator in there. He hits, he actually scores, he plays tough.

Holmstrom. Just doing what he does. I don't care what people say about his speed. He actually does have decent hands and vision. He can make passes and he can deflect absolutely anything that comes his way right into the net. You need this guy on your top lines and on your PP.

Our third and fourth line in game 7 were ridiculously good. They were pressuring, keeping it in the Coyote zone, hitting tough, creating chances, drawing penalties. What else can you ask for from those lines? And you KNOW that with Cleary, Helm, Eaves, Miller, Gator, you can count on a few goals here and there.

But game 7 showed me just how good the Wings can be when all 4 lines are rolling. The PK works. The PP works. It's in their zone like 90% of the time. Wings own the puck. Let's keep it going Wings.

Missing from the list: Franzen.
Kinda disappointed with Franzen. I realize he has points, but where are the skills and puck dominance from the last 2 playoff runs? He used to be so damn strong on the puck, he never lost it. He'd always shoot. Now it looks like he's looking for passing outlets constantly and sometimes, he'll lose the puck with noone on him. He needs some confidence or something. If Franzen gets it going, and the rest of the team plays like it did in game 7. Damn. I'd be scared.

Flowah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 09:53 AM
sarcastro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowah View Post
If I had to pick ONE, it would be Howard.

Not enough mentions for Howard. A shutout and a few GREAT games where he basically kept us in and allowed the offense to win it. Seriously. Some of the saves he made were just incredible and without them, I think the series was lost.

Z and Dats were fantastic of course. Filppula was a beast. He was a puck handling madman and he was causing turnovers left and right, setting people up, creating rebounds and leading to goals and scoring some of his own. Really, it's the first time I've been so consistently impressed by him and I looooove it. I love that he gets a good line to play top line minutes with and now he's showing us he's totally worth every penny.

Lidstrom of course. What kinda old over the hill man puts up 2 goals and 1 assist in a game 7 on the road? What a geezer. He's done, stick a fork in him. Hahahaha. Kronwall and Stuart were pretty damn solid.

Abdelkader. Jeez. Never play Williams again, keep Gator in there. He hits, he actually scores, he plays tough.

Holmstrom. Just doing what he does. I don't care what people say about his speed. He actually does have decent hands and vision. He can make passes and he can deflect absolutely anything that comes his way right into the net. You need this guy on your top lines and on your PP.

Our third and fourth line in game 7 were ridiculously good. They were pressuring, keeping it in the Coyote zone, hitting tough, creating chances, drawing penalties. What else can you ask for from those lines? And you KNOW that with Cleary, Helm, Eaves, Miller, Gator, you can count on a few goals here and there.

But game 7 showed me just how good the Wings can be when all 4 lines are rolling. The PK works. The PP works. It's in their zone like 90% of the time. Wings own the puck. Let's keep it going Wings.

Missing from the list: Franzen.
Kinda disappointed with Franzen. I realize he has points, but where are the skills and puck dominance from the last 2 playoff runs? He used to be so damn strong on the puck, he never lost it. He'd always shoot. Now it looks like he's looking for passing outlets constantly and sometimes, he'll lose the puck with noone on him. He needs some confidence or something. If Franzen gets it going, and the rest of the team plays like it did in game 7. Damn. I'd be scared.
I would have to go with Z or Pavel over Howard, but Howard was really, really good in that series. In the 3 games where he was given 60 minutes of respectable defense he stopped 91 of 93 shots. The Hanzal breakaway double-save was one of the most incredible sequences I've seen from a goalie.

Everyone thought I was going over the top when I said Abdelkader could have been the difference in the back end of the Finals last year, but I believe it now more than ever. He brings spunkiness and speed and agitation and physicality that they were missing in games 4-7 after they pulled him. Games 6 and 7 were lost on a razor's edge, and he could have made a difference in those games over a guy like Draper or Maltby. Those guys can't do much in 6 or 8 minutes other than just kill time so the big guys can rest - Abdelkader can use those 6 or 8 minutes to knock people around, get them off their game, and pot the occasional goal. Y'know, the stuff Draper and Maltby used to do back when they were still viable NHLers.

Williams won't see the lineup again unless there's an injury.

sarcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 10:01 AM
BTCG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro View Post
I would have to go with Z or Pavel over Howard, but Howard was really, really good in that series. In the 3 games where he was given 60 minutes of respectable defense he stopped 91 of 93 shots. The Hanzal breakaway double-save was one of the most incredible sequences I've seen from a goalie.

Everyone thought I was going over the top when I said Abdelkader could have been the difference in the back end of the Finals last year, but I believe it now more than ever. He brings spunkiness and speed and agitation and physicality that they were missing in games 4-7 after they pulled him. Games 6 and 7 were lost on a razor's edge, and he could have made a difference in those games over a guy like Draper or Maltby. Those guys can't do much in 6 or 8 minutes other than just kill time so the big guys can rest - Abdelkader can use those 6 or 8 minutes to knock people around, get them off their game, and pot the occasional goal. Y'know, the stuff Draper and Maltby used to do back when they were still viable NHLers.

Williams won't see the lineup again unless there's an injury.
Not here in MD, dude. We've been in Abbie's camp since his first few games. I wasn't happy that he was sent down this year, but the extra playing time he'd get made a good pacifier, and lord knows we had very little room to manuver the bodies.

BTCG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 10:13 AM
ashenhigh

1. Z
2. Fil
3. Stuart

Those were my MVPs. Z played amazing as usually, guy is so clutch its unfair. Filppula was one hell of a battler, always coming up with loose pucks and dishing them off for scoring chances.

I was also really really impressed with Stuart's play this series. He really stepped up his game. That breakaway goal last night was just his reward for a hard fought series.

ashenhigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 10:14 AM
norrisnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProPAIN View Post
Pavel, Homer and Franzen ARE supposed to be the first line, although Z's line played more minutes. But yes, Z's line was the best throughout. Fil is breaking through for us, which is great to see.
Call me crazy, but I'm pretty sure that makes it the 1st line.

norrisnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 10:18 AM
Roy S

Quote:
Pavel, Homer and Franzen ARE supposed to be the first line, although Z's line played more minutes. But yes, Z's line was the best throughout. Fil is breaking through for us, which is great to see.
They are in name only. Z's line is almost always the #1 line. They draw the other teams top line on a more consistent basis and play the most minutes. The vast majority of the time Z and Pavel are split up, Z's line is the real "#1 line."

Roy S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 10:22 AM
ProPAIN
I am the Danger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by norrisnick View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottwood View Post
They are in name only. Z's line is almost always the #1 line. They draw the other teams top line on a more consistent basis and play the most minutes. The vast majority of the time Z and Pavel are split up, Z's line is the real "#1 line."
Yeah, yeah, ok, Z's line is the 1st line according to the minutes on ice, but not by much. usually when they show the lineup, Dats' line is the 1st. I admit defeat...

ProPAIN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 10:31 AM
Jussha

For most part the ice time between Datsyuk and Zetterberg is pretty much the same and I don't really think one is a number one line over the other, I don't think Zetterberg and Datsyuk care much about it either. However, the emergence of Flip on that line has solidified at least for that first round as the 1st line. If Flip all of a sudden goes a bit cold that line might not nearly be effective, and if Franzen turns on beast mode finally the Datsyuk line could easily become the 1st line for the 2nd round. I think Babcock if he sees one line struggle a bit more and one pick up the pace a bit more has no problem switching which one he treats as the 1st line or as ppl like to call it.

Jussha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 10:54 AM
Datsyuk2Zetterberg

Zetterberg

Howard (1 bad game)
Datsyuk (a few games of little production)
Lids (a few un-lidstrom like defensive mistakes)

Datsyuk2Zetterberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 11:10 AM
joe89

Quote:
Yeah, yeah, ok, Z's line is the 1st line according to the minutes on ice, but not by much. usually when they show the lineup, Dats' line is the 1st. I admit defeat...
Because they are 1a and 1b in no order There is no general order for what line goes on to a PP or offensive faceoff first. Pretty sure Lids-Rafalski play similar minutes with both those lines in front.

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 11:11 AM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

I'd go with Z.
Datsyuk's two giant goals in game 7 make it close.
(he was three points back, but two of those are empty netters)
Stuart is right behind them.

I know Franzen put up a respectable amount of points, but he was trash.
If he doesn't step up, I think we're done in round 2.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 11:16 AM
Roy S

Quote:
I think they show the lineup in that way b/c Pavel's line tends to take the opening faceoff for some reason. After that, though, they have been very consistent in their actions through the years. This postseason, last postseason, whenever they are split up in the regular season, etc. Whenever they are on separate lines, Z's line is almost always their choice to send out against the other teams top line. Its been a trend going on several years now.

Old
04-28-2010, 11:30 AM
Flowah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottwood View Post
I think they show the lineup in that way b/c Pavel's line tends to take the opening faceoff for some reason. After that, though, they have been very consistent in their actions through the years. This postseason, last postseason, whenever they are split up in the regular season, etc. Whenever they are on separate lines, Z's line is almost always their choice to send out against the other teams top line. Its been a trend going on several years now.
Well it makes sense since Babcock considers Zetterberg to be his go to guy for shutting down the other team's top shooter. Doesn't hurt that Filp has turned it up a few notches and that Bert is playing well too. But I do like to think of the lines as 1A 1B. They are both such good solid lines. I want to see Filp get to the point where he can center a line by himself and then we can put the Eurotwins back together

Z and Pav forever <3

Flowah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 12:15 PM
mottjm7

When I think MVP, fairly or unfairly, I think of someone who stepped up their game beyond what I would normally expect from them.
That being said:

1) Z
2) Stuart
3) Fil

HM to Howard

Least Valuable (once again, with consideration to expectations)
1) Franzen (1G... seriously?)
2) Helm (some moments but A LOT of denfensive giveaways)
3) Osgood (becuase I dont have a big issue with anyone else)

mottjm7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 01:20 PM
Ricelund
We like our team.

Quote:
You seem a little bent on this point, Nick. We all know Zetterberg's a stud in the playoffs.

Last edited by Ricelund: 04-28-2010 at 01:49 PM.
Ricelund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 02:20 PM
Briano

Zetterberg overall, Howard in the 4 wins

Briano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 02:30 PM
number 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknrollnobody View Post
#1 H.Zetterberg
#2 J.Howard
#3 P.Datsyuk
That's my list.

The sharks have their hands full, Detroit almost seems like the perfect antidote to their poison.

number 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 04:57 PM
jacK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoalzie View Post
Hank was a champ on the scoresheet but Pavel did so many great things throughout the series. One of the biggest difference between this year and last...the Wings have a healthy and effective Pavel Datsyuk.
helps to have a healthy Nick Lidstrom, too. he's steered clear of the spears to the junk thus far, here's hoping Chi gets eliminated so Sharp doesn't get any ideas.

jacK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 05:00 PM
Matt714*

Send a message via MSN to Matt714*
1. Zetterberg
2. Datsyuk
3. Stuart

Matt714* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 05:01 PM
Shoalzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacK View Post
helps to have a healthy Nick Lidstrom, too. he's steered clear of the spears to the junk thus far, here's hoping Chi gets eliminated so Sharp doesn't get any ideas.

Good point...

It's great to see Hank and Pavel leading them in victories but I'd like to see more from Franzen going forward. His clutch scoring helped push them through series on his own. If they can get him cranked up on top of all that they're getting from everyone else...look out!

Shoalzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 05:12 PM
sarcastro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacK View Post
Nick really wasn't all that good in the first 6 games. He had a hell of a game 7 and it was great to see him looking like himself again, but he was either mediocre or awful the rest of the way.

Here's hoping game 7 Nick is here for the duration.

sarcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 07:27 PM
norrisnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by arice89 View Post
You seem a little bent on this point, Nick. We all know Zetterberg's a stud in the playoffs.
It's one of those little peeves of mine. It's like when people question why Z or Pavel or Draper "got the A taken away?!?!" when there has been a rotation for 4 years now. or why the names are goofy on the back of the jerseys in the preseason, when those preseason plates have been like that forever. What sense does it make to call our 1st line our 2nd?

norrisnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 07:30 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
It's one of those little peeves of mine. It's like when people question why Z or Pavel or Draper "got the A taken away?!?!" when there has been a rotation for 4 years now. or why the names are goofy on the back of the jerseys in the preseason, when those preseason plates have been like that forever. What sense does it make to call our 1st line our 2nd?
Because there are times when Datsyuk is obviously centering the first line and times when it is Zetterberg.
It isn't Zetterberg all the time, no matter how much his fanboys want to make that point.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 07:37 PM
67coach

Let me think............Duh.. Zetterberg.
Stuart really impressed me so he will have my vote at #2 followed by Howard, Parsha and Fil

67coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 08:28 PM
Roy S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
Because there are times when Datsyuk is obviously centering the first line and times when it is Zetterberg.
It isn't Zetterberg all the time, no matter how much his fanboys want to make that point.
When they center separate lines, there are times when Pavel gets top billing. Its just pretty rare. Zetterberg goes against the top competition at ES the majority of the time. Arguing anything else would be factually incorrect.