HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Wings Round 1 MVP?

Old
04-28-2010, 09:04 PM
Jussha

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottwood View Post
When they center separate lines, there are times when Pavel gets top billing. Its just pretty rare. Zetterberg goes against the top competition at ES the majority of the time. Arguing anything else would be factually incorrect.
For certain in Detroit's case Babcock goes power versus power in line matching against the top line of other teams, but a lot of other teams go the old fashioned checking line against the top line, so you can't simply always use who plays the other team's scoring line as our number 1 line, it really depends on how you define things.

When Bab puts someone to double shift on the fourth line, its usually Datsyuk to the best of my memory and not Zetterberg.

Is the first line the line that you send out there to score? or is the line you send out there to go against the other team's top line and also has the threat to score?

Babcock may see Zetter as his first line to match up against other team's top lines, but if you were to ask him which line is his scoring line, although he would say he has two of them, he might actually think the Datsyuk is his scoring line. Before Flip and Zetter got on fire, he for most part plays the top defensive pairing on the datsyuk line, which in some people's eyes would suggest that is the number one scoring unit.

In terms of which line he chooses to shut down the other team's top lines, no doubt, its the zetterberg line, but babcock probably loves that matchup, cause that leaves Datsyuk's line to be, well, the scoring line. I don't see a point in thinking of one line as the first and the other as the second.

Jussha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 10:13 PM
Roy S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussha View Post
For certain in Detroit's case Babcock goes power versus power in line matching against the top line of other teams, but a lot of other teams go the old fashioned checking line against the top line, so you can't simply always use who plays the other team's scoring line as our number 1 line, it really depends on how you define things.

When Bab puts someone to double shift on the fourth line, its usually Datsyuk to the best of my memory and not Zetterberg.

Is the first line the line that you send out there to score? or is the line you send out there to go against the other team's top line and also has the threat to score?

Babcock may see Zetter as his first line to match up against other team's top lines, but if you were to ask him which line is his scoring line, although he would say he has two of them, he might actually think the Datsyuk is his scoring line. Before Flip and Zetter got on fire, he for most part plays the top defensive pairing on the datsyuk line, which in some people's eyes would suggest that is the number one scoring unit.

In terms of which line he chooses to shut down the other team's top lines, no doubt, its the zetterberg line, but babcock probably loves that matchup, cause that leaves Datsyuk's line to be, well, the scoring line. I don't see a point in thinking of one line as the first and the other as the second.
These are all fair points. But, Z has been a better offensive player than Pavel in the playoffs in their careers and his lines don't give up anything in the "scoring line" department. After all, his line was the top line in terms of Pts in last year's playoffs and have been this year, so far. They get the top competition and produce just as much, if not more, than Pavel's lines. And, Z has just been a flat out better offensive player than Pavel in the postseason on a year in-year out basis. In the end, it doesn't matter much. But, if one wants to get technical and give a ranking of lines, then there is really no legit argument to put Pavel's line above Z's. Based on past production and quality of competition and the way Babcock employs his lines, then even a 1A and 1B ranking does a disservice to Z, imo. His line really does get top billing the majority of the time and its evident in ice time, quality of competition, ice time in high leverage situations and production.

Roy S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2010, 01:13 AM
Johnny 5
is alive, motherf—

Zetterberg has put together two straight Conn Smythe worthy playoff performances, but I think Datsyuk was better during the Phoenix series despite what the scoresheet indicates. Further, this might be the best postseason series Pavel has played.

Filppula throughout the series but especially in the first few games has played what I feel has been his best hockey as a Detroit Red Wing, which I'm really happy to see because I think that he had been relegated to a bottom six role for too long. He and Z look better together all the time.

I've been generally very impressed with Bertuzzi too. He has been taking Babcock's direction well and really fulfilling a role on that line with Z and Flip. He is being asked to play a different game than he is used to but he is doing a good job of it and creating space out there. But when he's not creating traffic in front of the net, he's making some good plays from the wing too, which seems to be the game he naturally wants to play when left to his own devices. I just don't think he's the shooter Babs tried to marry to Pavel for a large portion of the season.

It seemed evident to me that Z's line was playing better hockey as a unit but in comparison Pavel was more often carrying his linemates.

Franzen was a regular on the scoresheet but his play wasn't very impressive and I have to wonder if his legs aren't completely under him. It's not just missing chances because all shooters go through streaks, but he wasn't carrying the puck well and more importantly he wasn't trying to take it to the net enough. He seemed to kill momentum on quite a few shifts by either giving the puck away or missing the net. I wonder if his knee is acting up, or if he is just going to turn it on in the San Jose series and then who cares?

Johnny 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2010, 01:47 AM
theYman

1.Z
2.Dats
3.Flip

theYman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2010, 10:41 AM
Eaglepride*
#5 in Wotan we trust

easy king Z

otherwise Filpi

Eaglepride* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2010, 10:51 AM
DetBigWangs

Seemed to me that Dats and Z were nigh indistinguishable from one another in terms of the quality of their play. For this series only of course, historically Z has been more of a playoff performer.

DetBigWangs is offline   Reply With Quote