HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

July 1st, 2004: Who do you want?

Closed Thread

Old
05-11-2004, 12:38 PM
LucaBrasi

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsGirl
What Rolston are you guys whatching???

He is horrible #3 center (and this is not his natural position anyway). He definitely can't handle #2 center duties. Can't really pass either.

I don't even want him on the B's again unless he plays wing.

He has a great deal of speed(when he wants too) and exellent PK skills but his unwillingness to take a hit drives me crazy. I think he was a little bit more effective until last year concussion though.
I think a lot of people who like him don't watch him play much. On paper he seems like a solid player (especially for people looking for a late pick in hockey pools), but when you actually see him play he's not that impressive.

That said, he could probably fill Reichels spot here fairly well (i dunno how much rolston is worth in terms of $$$).

Old
05-11-2004, 01:08 PM
dwaynester

what can the Leafs afford to do July 1??

OK, position by position:

Goaltenders

Khabibhulin, Belfour, Burke, or even Osgood

Need someone who can play 55-60 games, but be willing to allow Tellqvist to grow into the position. Burke or Osgood would be best, because Belfour wont give up the net, even though he is 39. Khabibhulin will garner big bucks this summer, considering he made less than 5 mil last year.

Defensemen:

Klee, Cullimore, Hill, Leschyshyn, Wesley, Weinrich

We have enough offense on the point. Leetch, McCabe and Pilar will do fine. Kaberle should be moved up front, as he has no physical strength to be a defenseman in the NHL. Berg is a good #6, and Colaiacovo seems to be ready to take the next step. Klee would fit nicely with McCabe, or Wesley.

Offense:

Staying: Sundin, Nolan, Tucker, Domi, Roberts, Mogilny (maybe due to hip), Wilm, Stajan, maybe Reichel (at 1.2 as a penalty killer and 3rd line center), Belak (why not, versatile forward, defense, #3 goalie)

Should consider new position for Antropov: heard they need a stick boy, but then again, he might end up standing in the Penalty box until called.

Barnaby would make an excellent addition, except for the fact that everyone hates his guts. Put him with Domi, oh yeah, you cant scrap with your own teammate, can you.

Extremely interested:

Kariya (will never happen), Palffy (see previous), Kovalev (see previous 2), and Shanahan (will retire a red wing)

More likely scenario:

Ronning would make an excellent #2 center behind Sundin, and play him with Tucker and Stajan. Nedved would be nice, but too much baggage. Best fit might be Curtis Brown from SJ. Put him on 3rd line with Domi and Wilm to check.

A little more toughness could bring Simon, Barnaby or Oliwa, with Matt Johnson also out there.

Proposed lines:

Sundin with ROberts and Nolan
Ronning with Stajan and Tucker (assuming Mogilny is gone due to hip)
Curtis Brown with Domi and Wilm
Reichel with Belak and Simon.

there you go....since no UFA in thier right mind would come to Toronto, here are my predictions.

Old
05-11-2004, 01:28 PM
rinkrat13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaynester
OK, position by position:

Goaltenders

Khabibhulin, Belfour, Burke, or even Osgood

Need someone who can play 55-60 games, but be willing to allow Tellqvist to grow into the position. Burke or Osgood would be best, because Belfour wont give up the net, even though he is 39. Khabibhulin will garner big bucks this summer, considering he made less than 5 mil last year.

Defensemen:

Klee, Cullimore, Hill, Leschyshyn, Wesley, Weinrich

We have enough offense on the point. Leetch, McCabe and Pilar will do fine. Kaberle should be moved up front, as he has no physical strength to be a defenseman in the NHL. Berg is a good #6, and Colaiacovo seems to be ready to take the next step. Klee would fit nicely with McCabe, or Wesley.

Offense:

Staying: Sundin, Nolan, Tucker, Domi, Roberts, Mogilny (maybe due to hip), Wilm, Stajan, maybe Reichel (at 1.2 as a penalty killer and 3rd line center), Belak (why not, versatile forward, defense, #3 goalie)

Should consider new position for Antropov: heard they need a stick boy, but then again, he might end up standing in the Penalty box until called.

Barnaby would make an excellent addition, except for the fact that everyone hates his guts. Put him with Domi, oh yeah, you cant scrap with your own teammate, can you.

Extremely interested:

Kariya (will never happen), Palffy (see previous), Kovalev (see previous 2), and Shanahan (will retire a red wing)

More likely scenario:

Ronning would make an excellent #2 center behind Sundin, and play him with Tucker and Stajan. Nedved would be nice, but too much baggage. Best fit might be Curtis Brown from SJ. Put him on 3rd line with Domi and Wilm to check.

A little more toughness could bring Simon, Barnaby or Oliwa, with Matt Johnson also out there.

Proposed lines:

Ronning with Stajan and Tucker (assuming Mogilny is gone due to hip)

there you go....since no UFA in thier right mind would come to Toronto, here are my predictions.
Ronning? Are you serious - have you ever asked yourself why no-one (including The Leafs) took a chance on him this season?!?!?!?

Simon would be on the 2nd or 3rd line, not the 4th... Reichel back for more? C'mon, do you have any idea about his contract situation??? he'll have to come back for (a club option) of over $4M - I wouldn't give him $1M to try and be a checking line centre - he isn't the checking line centre we (or any teams) needs - think someone like Madden, Ricci, Draper, thats what a checking line centre should look like ... and taxi squad guys like Belak and Wilm on the main roster - I like Belak & Wilm, just not for more then 50 games.

Burke or Osgood? why? I'd rather go all in with Tellqvist then either of those guys and spend alot less on a backup goalie - plus, it'll be Belfour again this season!

and you're the Toronto Maple Leaf writer for some online sports publication
thats why I still like to get most of sports writing in a paper...

BTW - can you please explain to me why you think Kariya will never happen? just curious!

Old
05-11-2004, 03:08 PM
Bloody Sabbath

Send a message via MSN to Bloody Sabbath
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringITon
** Trade Kaberle and Antropov for Hedican and O'Neill
i like it. but carolina would be nuts to do that. well you never know...they are after all looking to dump salary.

Old
05-11-2004, 03:10 PM
Bloody Sabbath

Send a message via MSN to Bloody Sabbath
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaynester
Ronning with Stajan and Tucker
those are some ****** lines there. i must say.

Old
05-11-2004, 03:35 PM
leafaholix*

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick_tml89
i like it. but carolina would be nuts to do that. well you never know...they are after all looking to dump salary.
Bret Hedican is severely overpaid.

Old
05-11-2004, 04:44 PM
monkey_00*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafaholix
Unrestricted Free Agents: Goaltenders & Defensemen - Wingers & Centres

Who are you...

a) Extremely interested in.
b) Very interested in.
c) Fairly interested in.
Leafaholix..........

Some pretty interesting names there............

One guy I really like with a not too hefty price tag would have to be MISTER OVERTIME Steve Thomas.......Leafs have had a losing record in OT ever since he left town...............Nicolai Khabibulin would be a great pickup for a starter....don't know how much longer Belfour's back will hold up.........

If the Leafs could swing a deal with Anaheim and pickup Sergei Fedorov maybe they would be able to talk Pavel Bure out of retirement and reunite that famous Russian line of Mogilny-Fedorov-Bure once more.........HOWEVER Bure's $10-million price tag is too hefty...........

Keith Primeau would be a great pickup as well.......would add some more toughness down the middle.........I think Pat Quinn is in love with this guy..............

I can also see the Leafs being interested in Alexei Zhitnik...he would be a welcomed addition to the Leafs blueline.

Cheers!~

monkey_00

Old
05-11-2004, 04:49 PM
Pinto
Burn Them All

vCash: 105
a) Extremely interested in:
Paul Kariya, Ziggy Palffy, Khabibulin (If Eddie retires)
b) Very interested in:
Richard Matvichuk, John Madden, Glenn Murray
c) Fairly interested in.
Kris Draper, Alexei Zhitnik

Old
05-11-2004, 10:07 PM
BruinsGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucaBrasi
I think a lot of people who like him don't watch him play much. On paper he seems like a solid player (especially for people looking for a late pick in hockey pools), but when you actually see him play he's not that impressive.

That said, he could probably fill Reichels spot here fairly well (i dunno how much rolston is worth in terms of $$$).
Rolston was making 3 or 3.1 mil this year...and scored 19 goals (I don't believe he had alot of assists playing with Axelsson and not getting QB time)

Something really happened with his good before shot. We call him "wide-shot" Rolston.

Don't get me wrong ...BR is a good player, but he is overrated by many non-Bruins fans. I also don't see him fitting into TO style of a play. He sure won't sacrifice his body in order to win.

Closed Thread