HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers Prospects Thread (NCAA, Juniors, International, ECHL, Other) *Part 4*

Closed Thread

Old
06-06-2010, 01:37 PM
UAGoalieGuy

vCash: 500
The KHL had it's draft yesterday. Roman Horak was drafted 63rd overall. Doesn't mean anything, just find it interesting.

Old
06-06-2010, 01:49 PM
FOXHOUND*

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
The KHL had it's draft yesterday. Roman Horak was drafted 63rd overall. Doesn't mean anything, just find it interesting.
any other interesting names drafted in there?

also whats the deal with the kid we took with our last pick last year who went first overall in the KHL draft, Pashnin? Any chance he'll ever see the light of day over here?

Last edited by FOXHOUND*: 06-06-2010 at 01:59 PM.
Old
06-06-2010, 01:54 PM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOXHOUND View Post

also whats the deal with the kid we took with our last pick last year who went first overall in the KHL draft? Any chance he'll ever see the light of day over here?
Here are the non-russian players drafted:

2nd overall - Sami Vatanen, D, FIN, (Anaheim prospect)
5th overall - Martin Marincin, D, SVK, (2010 prospect)
8th overall - Tomas Kubalik, F, CZE, (Columbus prospect)
12th overall - David Musil, D, CZE, (2011 prospect)
13th overall - Joonas Donskoi, F, FIN, (2010 prospect)
17th overall - Adam Larsson, D, SWE, (2011 prospect)
23th overall - Ludvig Rensfeldt, F, SWE, (2010 prospect)
24th overall - Martin Frk, F, CZE, (2012 prospect)
30th overall - Andrej Nestrasil F, CZE, (Detroit prospect)
39th overall – Petr Straka, F, CZE, (2010 prospect)
43th overall - David Rundblad, D, SWE, (St. Louis prospect)
46th overall - Jakob Silfverberg, F, SWE, (Ottawa prospect)
48th overall - Bohumil Jank, D, CZE, (2010 prospect)
49th overall – Mika Partanen, F, FIN, (2011 prospect)
63th overall – Roman Horak, F, CZE, (NY Rangers prospect)
68th overall – Johan Sundström, F, SWE, (2011 prospect)
80th overall - Marek Viedensky, F, SVK, (San Jose prospect)
88th overall - Olivier Roy, GK, CAN, (Edmonton prospect)
89th overall – Victor Rask, F, SWE, (2011 prospect)
90th overall - Nino Niederreiter, F, SUI, (2010 prospect)
95th overall – Roman Josi, D, SUI, (Nashville prospect)
108th overall - Mattias Ekholm, D, SWE, (Nashville prospect)
111th overall – Johan Larsson, F, SWE, (2010 prospect)
115th overall - Peter Cerešnák, D, SVK, (2011 prospect)
121th overall – Adam Janosik, D, SVK, (2010 prospect)
122th overall - Niclas Lucenius, F, FIN, (Atlanta prospect)
129th overall - Mika Zibanejad, F, SWE, (2011 prospect)
132th overall - Patrik Nemeth, D, SWE, (2010 prospect)
133th overall - Marcus Johansson, F, SWE, (Washington prospect)
141th overall - Tomas Jurco, F, SVK, (2011 prospect)
149th overall – Anton Lander, F, SWE, (Edmonton prospect)
155th overall – Jerry D'Amigo, F, USA, (Toronto prospect)
159th overall – Rasmus Rissanen, D, FIN, (Carolina prospect)
160th overall – Erik Haula, F, FIN, (Minnesota prospect)
164th overall – Eero Elo, F, FIN, (Minnesota prospect)
169th overall – Tyler Toffoli, F, CAN, (2010 prospect)
170th overall – Jack Campbell, GK, USA, (2010 prospect)
171th overall - Matej Machovský, GK, CZE (2011 prospect)
176th overall – Sami Aittokallio, GK, FIN (2010 prospect)
184th overall - Jarred Tinordi, D, USA, (2010 prospect)
186th overall - Tim Erixon, D, SWE, (Calgary prospect)
188th overall - Petr Mrazek, GK, CZE, (2010 prospect)

Old
06-06-2010, 02:16 PM
Fitzy
Relative to what?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOXHOUND View Post

also whats the deal with the kid we took with our last pick last year who went first overall in the KHL draft, Pashnin? Any chance he'll ever see the light of day over here?
Pashnin logged 3rd pairing minutes and played respectable KHL hockey at age 19 which is pretty interesting, he just didn't muster much offense. From what I hear the Rangers will look to bring him over in a few years, a lot of whether we sign him will have to do with his performance and growth next year. I've heard comparisons to Karel Rachunek.

Old
06-06-2010, 02:43 PM
ColonialsHockey10

I found it interesting that Stepan was the 5th highest ranked NA skater for the KHL draft, although he wasn't drafted. He was up there with Connolly, Seguin and Hall. Shows how highly people think of him.

Old
06-06-2010, 05:13 PM
Callahan Auto
Rational Police

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post
I found it interesting that Stepan was the 5th highest ranked NA skater for the KHL draft, although he wasn't drafted. He was up there with Connolly, Seguin and Hall. Shows how highly people think of him.
Say what you want about Jessiman and our drafting for years but it's been damn good the last couple of seasons.

Old
06-07-2010, 04:15 PM
NYR Viper

Anyone read the write-ups on the Rangers site for Hagelin and Horak? I thought they were very insightful:

http://rangers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=531101

Horak

http://rangers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=530952

Hagelin

Old
06-07-2010, 04:54 PM
Emptyvoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
Anyone read the write-ups on the Rangers site for Hagelin and Horak? I thought they were very insightful:

http://rangers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=531101

Horak

http://rangers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=530952

Hagelin
Clark continues to show his ability to find talent with these late round selections. In my opinion, the true worth of clark will be seen with his later round selections and the "steals" he finds.

In Clark We Trust

Old
06-07-2010, 05:06 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianRangersFan View Post
Clark continues to show his ability to find talent with these late round selections. In my opinion, the true worth of clark will be seen with his later round selections and the "steals" he finds.

In Clark We Trust
Not only Clarke but the Rangers scouting staff seems to be rounding into form the past few years. They have been very good.

Old
06-07-2010, 05:20 PM
Emptyvoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
Not only Clarke but the Rangers scouting staff seems to be rounding into form the past few years. They have been very good.
Exactly, very true.

Old
06-07-2010, 05:42 PM
Fitzy
Relative to what?

vCash: 50
No need to rush a guy like Hagelin. One year of college, maybe a Hobey Baker consideration, a year of AHL, and, hopefully, he'll be fully ready to go 2 years from now just as Avery's contract expires and the third line LW spot opens up.

Old
06-07-2010, 06:19 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
No need to rush a guy like Hagelin. One year of college, maybe a Hobey Baker consideration, a year of AHL, and, hopefully, he'll be fully ready to go 2 years from now just as Avery's contract expires and the third line LW spot opens up.
Perfect timing. Hopefully Stepan and Kreider will be ready to turn pro as well that year(by the latest in Stepan's case).

Old
06-09-2010, 09:46 AM
The Dark Passenger
HFNYR Blues GM

http://rangers.nhl.com/club/news.htm...id=DL|NYR|home

Rangers prospects 20/20

Kreider.

Good read.

Old
06-09-2010, 03:05 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenrikTheKing30 View Post
http://rangers.nhl.com/club/news.htm...id=DL|NYR|home

Rangers prospects 20/20

Kreider.

Good read.
Quote:
"The World Junior coaches kind of helped mold me into a better net-front player. I popped in some scrappy goals, so I was given the opportunity to play net-front on the second power play unit when I got back.
Thank you, Dean Blais.

Quote:
"It was a bit of a controversial pick," said Clark. "Everybody saw his skating and his size, but there seemed to be a concern that it was against a low level of competition. He was so dominant in his size and skating around players with less hockey sense, that other scouts thought his hockey sense would be a concern.

"I don’t think I’ve seen a player personally as much as I saw (Kreider) before the draft. In his draft year, I think I asked five different guys in our organization go in to look at him at different times so they could see what he was going to give them on that particular night."
And, thank you, Gordie Clark!

Old
06-09-2010, 03:58 PM
CH2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Thank you, Dean Blais.

And, thank you, Gordie Clark!
I can't think of any garbage goal scorer that's played in the NHL with Kreider's wheels. If he can plant himself in front of the net when the cycling in the corner begins and then use his speed on the rush, man, would he be fun to watch.

Old
06-10-2010, 01:33 AM
JimmyStart*

Sangs, MDZ, McD, Sauer, MZA, Hagelin, Stepan, Weise, Byers, Werek, Bourque, Kreider, Johnson, Grachev and A.A. Then consider wild cards like Pashnin and whoever we get in this draft. In 2-3 years ALL of those guys will be on the team barring trades. The team plan is to let them all come up though to join Dubs, Staal, Girardi, Cally and Dubs.

Some like MDZ and A.A. have already joined the club and shown they will be contributors for awhile. Others like Weise, Byers, MZa, Johnson and Sangs have shown they're on the cusp of joining the club
Just think if the office sticks to the plan this team will have a top 6 that looks like this:
Grachev- A.A. - Gab
Dubs/ Kreider - Stepan/Dubs - Cally/MZA

Doesn't that sound infinitely better than what we have now? It will be a shock if Grachev doesn't become a top 6 forward, same with A.A. At this point Kreider, Stepan and MZA are top 6 but I'd rather make judgements on them after THIS year. Either could not pan out but they've had a lot of success and should be good to go with some likely AHL pro level play. MZA obviously must pan out sooner rather than later. Dubs and Cally should both be 50 point scorers at least at this point.

Of course depending on continued development it's hard to predict the top two lines with guys like Werek, Stepan and Bourque also showing skill and this years 1st rounder yet to be picked. A guy like Niro, Tarasenko, Connolly or some1 could be up there too. That is a LOT of skill to have on one team and without huge drury and redden contracts they can all be signed. Also I wouldn't project Grachev and Kreider to hit the team at the same time. But this is a 3 year estimate. In that time grachev will likely be in his 2nd year and Kreider the year behind.

Then we have a TON of high energy, gritty yet skilled players in Weise, Byers, prust, and guys like Werek and Bourque are still works but have shown definite skill already. Never know what FA brings but next year features guys like Jeff Carter. I won't speculate about FA's that far ahead though b/c this is about prospects.

For D
Staal - MDZ
Girardi - McD That's one hell of a top 4 pairing. Even if it's this year. Some growing pains but a ton of skill. That said again this is a three year estimate.
Sangs - Sauer/Potter/Heikennen/FA
Redden?.......ugh

Henrik.

No more cap hell! The prospects we've been waiting for for 2 years so far will all be developed. Gab and henrik will still have 2 or 3 years left...hopefully more elite years. Both will be what 30? 31? 32? Easy to imagine both are still top of their game. Honestly if both are anything other than elite players in 2 or 3 years I think we'd all be shocked. Drury may re-sign for a smaller deal. He Girardi Staal and Cally are great PKers. Our PP will look much bigger and better...hopefully it will actually be...good.

This is the Rangers off-season plan for this year and I'd say it has an 87% chance of coming to fruition exactly as I'm detailing it. As fans we'll have to gut it out this year and hope the pieces we forced together are good enough while guys develop.

This upcoming year is year 1 in my eyes.

Then NEXT year, year two we have Grachev and McD, and likely some mix of Kreider, Stepan, Hagelin, Werek or Bourque. My bet would be on Kreider or Stepan but at the very least Grachev and McD. Sangs, Weise and Byers either are regulars or are gone
Then by year three everyone is here. Unfortunately by my predictions our first cup run is not this year, not next but the one after that. We'll haveta suffer two more non cup seasons before we have a legitamate shot. That said once we become contenders we stay contenders and have the look of a Detroit FINALLY.

Or we could trade half our farm for some high priced FA's....oh God no. I'm more optimistic than not about this though. Like i said 87% optimistic.

Old
06-10-2010, 10:53 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by CH2 View Post
I can't think of any garbage goal scorer that's played in the NHL with Kreider's wheels. If he can plant himself in front of the net when the cycling in the corner begins and then use his speed on the rush, man, would he be fun to watch.
The thing is though, Freddy Sjöström had Kreiderlike wheels, he had a very good wrister, he wasn't a complete stiff, he had a good attitude, he was very strong, he was awesome defensively et c.

You know. You can't look at a few abilitys and draw any safe conclusions. I am worried about Kreiders hockeysense. Compared to the elite, he is nothing but lost. But with that said, he sure still could find his niche in the NHL. I am not saying that he will become Shoestring II either.

For where he was picked, I am impressed with Kreider. I have high hopes for him and I like what I see, but there are buts.

Old
06-10-2010, 11:41 AM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
The thing is though, Freddy Sjöström had Kreiderlike wheels, he had a very good wrister, he wasn't a complete stiff, he had a good attitude, he was very strong, he was awesome defensively et c.

You know. You can't look at a few abilitys and draw any safe conclusions. I am worried about Kreiders hockeysense. Compared to the elite, he is nothing but lost. But with that said, he sure still could find his niche in the NHL. I am not saying that he will become Shoestring II either.

For where he was picked, I am impressed with Kreider. I have high hopes for him and I like what I see, but there are buts.
Why we let Sjostrom go still baffles me he was great as a cheap role player. 750k to keep him. Kotalik and Higgins for the money we gave them? Well here I am pointing out how we overpay people that's wasted breath. I'll never forget my rxn a few years back:

WE SIGNED GOMEZ!...AND DRURY!? AALLLLRIIIIGHT!!! LETS GO RANGERS!!!!!

10 seconds later

THEY DID WHAT!? HOW MUCH MONEY!? AWWWWWW NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

and of course the infamous Redden moment:

Wade Redden wtf I guess it'll be a nice vet presence to OMG NO WTF HOW DOES HE GET THAT KIND OF MONEY!!! NO!!! NOOO!!!!! KRSSSHH!!!(TV Breaking)

It's ok...it's ok...Sather will be fired by the end of the year after this...

Skill set wise Kreider and Sjostrom can compare but we'll have to wait before Kreider hits the AHL to see how warranted those comparisons are. Sjos had 38 points in AHL. Not exactly lighting up the minors. If I had to guess I;'d say he never was able to adjust his skills offensively to succeed in the tougher N.A. game. Kreider has been in this game his whole life and is getting valuable international time too. He will be much more seasoned when he reaches Hartford (unless he skips it b/c he winds up being so good) and I expect a pace of 50-60 points when he reaches the AHL likely followed by a callup mid 2011-2012. Could be wrong b/c he does still have a lot to learn but I think if his Soph year features increased scoring and continued experiences like this year he will likely turn pro before Jr. year. By all accounts his hockey knowledge far surpasses what people thought he had and he learned a lot more than people thought he would. He also obviously played great against all levels of competition. I have no worries about kreider.

Last edited by JimmyStart*: 06-10-2010 at 11:52 AM.
Old
06-10-2010, 03:27 PM
Hockey2000nyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by deriik2020 View Post
Why we let Sjostrom go still baffles me he was great as a cheap role player. 750k to keep him. Kotalik and Higgins for the money we gave them? Well here I am pointing out how we overpay people that's wasted breath. I'll never forget my rxn a few years back:

WE SIGNED GOMEZ!...AND DRURY!? AALLLLRIIIIGHT!!! LETS GO RANGERS!!!!!

10 seconds later

THEY DID WHAT!? HOW MUCH MONEY!? AWWWWWW NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

and of course the infamous Redden moment:

Wade Redden wtf I guess it'll be a nice vet presence to OMG NO WTF HOW DOES HE GET THAT KIND OF MONEY!!! NO!!! NOOO!!!!! KRSSSHH!!!(TV Breaking)

It's ok...it's ok...Sather will be fired by the end of the year after this...

Skill set wise Kreider and Sjostrom can compare but we'll have to wait before Kreider hits the AHL to see how warranted those comparisons are. Sjos had 38 points in AHL. Not exactly lighting up the minors. If I had to guess I;'d say he never was able to adjust his skills offensively to succeed in the tougher N.A. game. Kreider has been in this game his whole life and is getting valuable international time too. He will be much more seasoned when he reaches Hartford (unless he skips it b/c he winds up being so good) and I expect a pace of 50-60 points when he reaches the AHL likely followed by a callup mid 2011-2012. Could be wrong b/c he does still have a lot to learn but I think if his Soph year features increased scoring and continued experiences like this year he will likely turn pro before Jr. year. By all accounts his hockey knowledge far surpasses what people thought he had and he learned a lot more than people thought he would. He also obviously played great against all levels of competition. I have no worries about kreider.
we traded gomez for higgins and signed higgins to a dirt cheap one year deal.....what are you talking about?

Old
06-10-2010, 05:22 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:

Sjostrom had 3 separate appearances in the world junior championships. Kreider almost doubled Sjostroms offensive totals for those 3 separate appearances in his first ever appearance.

I dont see any comparison between the 2 whatsoever besides their speed.

Old
06-10-2010, 05:53 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Sjostrom's shot sucked ***

Both his wrist shot and his slapshot... His offensive instincts were not good.... You can skate like the wind but if you don't know what to do with the puck on your stick, it does little to help your offensive game....

Old
06-11-2010, 01:21 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by deriik2020 View Post
If I had to guess I;'d say he never was able to adjust his skills offensively to succeed in the tougher N.A. game.
Hold your horses a little, Sjo played junior hockey in NA which I think was a big problem for him. He never got to learn any offensive skills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
Sjostrom had 3 separate appearances in the world junior championships. Kreider almost doubled Sjostroms offensive totals for those 3 separate appearances in his first ever appearance.

I dont see any comparison between the 2 whatsoever besides their speed.
Sjo put up decent stats in the WHL, something Kreider have not college up untill the second half of this season when he put up a solid, nothing else, amount of pts. Kreider also scored a far amount of garbage goals at the WJCs. Youd score those at any level, but he won't be put in that position on the PP on a team in the NHL if thats all he brings.

I don't know, I wonder if Gordie Clarke have had his eyes amputated when he said that Kreider makes good plays with the puck et c. I would put it like this, Chris Kreider is showing potential to be able to make good plays with the puck. But no doubt, compared with the avg offensive 1st round pick he is very very raw, which he makes up for with his speed.

Old
06-11-2010, 02:06 AM
LyNX27

Quote:
Hold your horses a little, Sjo played junior hockey in NA which I think was a big problem for him. He never got to learn any offensive skills.

Sjo put up decent stats in the WHL, something Kreider have not college up untill the second half of this season when he put up a solid, nothing else, amount of pts. Kreider also scored a far amount of garbage goals at the WJCs. Youd score those at any level, but he won't be put in that position on the PP on a team in the NHL if thats all he brings.

I don't know, I wonder if Gordie Clarke have had his eyes amputated when he said that Kreider makes good plays with the puck et c. I would put it like this, Chris Kreider is showing potential to be able to make good plays with the puck. But no doubt, compared with the avg offensive 1st round pick he is very very raw, which he makes up for with his speed.
I agree in a few points, I feel he is very raw and his speed does cover up a few of his flaws but as he continues to play higher and higher level hockey he will probably have to learn that he can't always compensate and he will gain talent in areas he doesn't currently have. For starters though, he knows that he can use his speed to crash the net effectively, and that is something that someone with his kinda speed is crucial for, and it works at any and all levels.

Old
06-11-2010, 10:16 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
I'm not. Not even a little bit. His hockey sense is mostly undeveloped because in high school he could beat everyone with his speed and strength. He didn't have to understand the game at a high level.

But he is undergoing a rapid maturation. You can see it in his play, on the score sheet and in his interviews.

Quote:
"In high school, I was kind of given the liberty to basically go wherever I wanted. I was almost the rover, and I wasn't always defensively responsible," said Kreider. "I was trying to create offense. I was trying to get a jump and get behind the defense. I wasn't always supporting the puck-carrier as much as I should have. I kind of always wanted the puck on my stick.
Not only is he learning the team game, but he understands the need for it and embraces it. Some players believe their own hype and are unwilling to stray too far from things that have given them success in the past. Kreider isn't like that. There's no attitude there. He's very coachable.

He's still got a lot of learning to do, but he's already come a long way in just one year. There are some teams already regretting that they didn't take him. I think by this time next year, there will be a few more teams added to that list.

Old
06-11-2010, 10:38 AM
rangerjoe

Writeup on Kundratek:

http://rangers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=531402

Closed Thread