HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Eberle named WHL player of the year!

Old
04-28-2010, 06:00 PM
Oilmageddon*
What are you hearing

vCash: 500
There is a good chance Eberle will turn into a 40g 40 a man in the NHL jmo.

Oilmageddon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 06:01 PM
Oi'll say!

I wonder who JE wants the Oilers to take with the 1st overall. He'll obviously never say, but I have to admit I'm curious as hell.

Oi'll say! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 06:02 PM
battlegoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomo View Post
^^^^that was HF prospect of the year i think....

anyway.....

bust
Both... Maybe I just saw the future or something? I know he was named WHL player of the year and he was expected to be named CHL player of the year to

battlegoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 06:07 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say! View Post
I wonder who JE wants the Oilers to take with the 1st overall. He'll obviously never say, but I have to admit I'm curious as hell.
I wouldn't be surprised if he'd like Hall since the two are friends and have some chemistry together.

04-28-2010, 06:07 PM
Oilmageddon*
What are you hearing

Quote:
Well the oilers scouts have been at every windsor game since near the end of the regular season. I would suspect Hall has showed them no argument not to pick him.

Old
04-28-2010, 06:34 PM
jsho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cawz View Post
No.

Highly touted players can turn out to be busts, but theres a much better chance that a highly touted player will succeed than a lowly touted player. This award is nice and all but all it means is he has tons of talent and potential. He still has to recognize that potential, and that takes a lot of work. His journey is just beginning.

So why did he drop so far in the draft. Its suprising we got him at 22 (not 17 oops).
True, but since 1996 (Iginla) there hasnt been a player other than Cam Ward, maybe Eric Fehr and Dan Hamhius (and thats really stretching it) that have gone onto translate that success to NHL careers when they have won this award.

jsho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 07:00 PM
Cawz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsho View Post
True, but since 1996 (Iginla) there hasnt been a player other than Cam Ward, maybe Eric Fehr and Dan Hamhius (and thats really stretching it) that have gone onto translate that success to NHL careers when they have won this award.
But how highly touted were they?

Jason Krywulak was apparently never drafted.
Marty Murray was drafted in the 3rd round.
Peter Schaefer was drafted in the 3rd round.
Brad Moran was drafted in the 7th round.
Justin Mapletoft was drafted in the 4th round.

Dan Hamhuis was taken in the 1st round, but didnt get too many points in the WHL compared to Eberle. I dont know if you can compare points properly across that league though.

Eric Fehr was a 1st rounder as well and his game seems to be developing nicely.

I didnt include the more recent players since they are still too young to determine, and I didnt include the goalies, since its hard to compare. But it seems that winning this award alone doesnt really mean success. It more depends on how highly touted you are, and if past award winner were not drafted till the 3rd round or later, they couldnt have been considered all that good.

Cawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 10:24 PM
RogueJedi

Here's to hoping that he has a sudden growth spell and puts on 15 pounds of muscle

RogueJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 10:27 PM
RogueJedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by oils4hallseyesonly View Post
There is a good chance Eberle will turn into a 40g 40 a man in the NHL jmo.
I really hope you're right. Personally I see him capping out at 30G 30A, which would still be solid 2nd line numbers.

Old
04-29-2010, 05:19 AM
Yanner39

Here in the east, I don't get to see alot of WHL games. Eberle's 2009 stats are damn impressive and I was wondering if there was a catch. I mean, did he play in a weaker division or conference, or did he have good linemates?

I don't want to diminish what he has done, but I am just so impressed with the stats and the fact that the Oilers got him with a late first round pick.

Also, I read he was drafted what, in the 7th round by the Pats in the midget draft?

Yanner39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2010, 05:28 AM
Oilmageddon*
What are you hearing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanner39 View Post
Here in the east, I don't get to see alot of WHL games. Eberle's 2009 stats are damn impressive and I was wondering if there was a catch. I mean, did he play in a weaker division or conference, or did he have good linemates?

I don't want to diminish what he has done, but I am just so impressed with the stats and the fact that the Oilers got him with a late first round pick.

Also, I read he was drafted what, in the 7th round by the Pats in the midget draft?
His size was a draw back in the midget draft he was 5'7 and he was 5'10 when drafted by the oilers at 22 overall. He would of went higher but size played factor. kinda what you will see with Skinner this year mid round pick that could turn out a steal.

Old
04-29-2010, 05:52 AM
TheBusDriver
Private Eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueJedi View Post
I really hope you're right. Personally I see him capping out at 30G 30A, which would still be solid 2nd line numbers.
A 30, 30 guy is a second liner? You do know that our best player this year was Penner who was just barely a 30, 30 guy. I think there were only roughly 18 30G+ and 30A+ guys this season. That is most certainly a first line player.

TheBusDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2010, 06:02 AM
hemskyhemskyhemsky*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBusDriver View Post
A 30, 30 guy is a second liner? You do know that our best player this year was Penner who was just barely a 30, 30 guy. I think there were only roughly 18 30G+ and 30A+ guys this season. That is most certainly a first line player.
Eh, if Hall turns into a 40 goal kind of player which would bring Hemsky's point production atleast 20 points up(80-90 range) then a 30 goal scorer would fit on the second line. It makes sense with optimistic projections to put Eberle on the second line. If any of this turns into reality, my head will explode.

hemskyhemskyhemsky* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2010, 06:11 AM
TheBusDriver
Private Eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemskyandme View Post
Eh, if Hall turns into a 40 goal kind of player which would bring Hemsky's point production atleast 20 points up(80-90 range) then a 30 goal scorer would fit on the second line. It makes sense with optimistic projections to put Eberle on the second line. If any of this turns into reality, my head will explode.
Thats a lot of IFs. Only way I see a 30 30 guy on the second line is because you have a star player playing the same position. And we would if Hemsky is here while Eberle is. Though I imagine its much harder to hit 30 30 on 2nd line minutes and probably 2nd PP unit minutes.

TheBusDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2010, 11:56 AM
RogueJedi

Quote:
Thats a lot of IFs. Only way I see a 30 30 guy on the second line is because you have a star player playing the same position. And we would if Hemsky is here while Eberle is. Though I imagine its much harder to hit 30 30 on 2nd line minutes and probably 2nd PP unit minutes.
You have a valid point. Here is my line of thought -> Eberle plays C/RW. For him to get first line minutes, he'd have to move up the depth chart past Hemsky, Gagner, Seguin (if we draft him) or Hall (if we draft him and he plays C instead of LW). I am probably in the minority, but I personally think Hemsky will resign here because he'll finally be surrounding by elite talent and we'll have a chance to win again. If this is the case, Eberle would naturally be relegated to the 2nd line - which is not a bad thing because he'd be playing softer minutes. Also, just because Eberle's not on the first 1 doesn't necessarily mean he won't be on the #1 powerplay unit.

I think 30G 30A is totally doable if the lineup looks like this

Hall Gagner Hemsky
MPS (2C) Eberle

Old
04-29-2010, 05:29 PM
ChefTO

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueJedi View Post
You have a valid point. Here is my line of thought -> Eberle plays C/RW. For him to get first line minutes, he'd have to move up the depth chart past Hemsky, Gagner, Seguin (if we draft him) or Hall (if we draft him and he plays C instead of LW). I am probably in the minority, but I personally think Hemsky will resign here because he'll finally be surrounding by elite talent and we'll have a chance to win again. If this is the case, Eberle would naturally be relegated to the 2nd line - which is not a bad thing because he'd be playing softer minutes. Also, just because Eberle's not on the first 1 doesn't necessarily mean he won't be on the #1 powerplay unit.

I think 30G 30A is totally doable if the lineup looks like this

Penner Seguin Hemsky
MPS Gagner Eberle
Fixed it for you...

You build down the middle!!!!!!!! Hall is Great, so is Seguin... therefore you draft what you need when the players are equal!

ChefTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2010, 05:42 PM
deanmoriarty

i think Eberle's going to be better than any player currently in the system.

deanmoriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2010, 06:15 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefTO View Post
Fixed it for you...

You build down the middle!!!!!!!! Hall is Great, so is Seguin... therefore you draft what you need when the players are equal!
You don't put 18-year-olds on the top line. When Gagner made the team as an 18-year-old, he started off on the fourth line and as a winger. Gagner didn't play centre until part way through his 19-year-old season.

No matter who they draft between Hall and Seguin, these players will not be starting their careers as centres. It doesn't matter if it's Hall or Seguin but these players will not start the season on the top line. They will be eased into the NHL slowly. They may eventually play centre but not right away.

Narnia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2010, 07:25 PM
KarmaPolice
Masterdebater

vCash: 777
Send a message via MSN to KarmaPolice
Congrats to Eberle. He produced very well playing for a very average (at best) team.

KarmaPolice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2010, 07:44 PM
hemskyhemskyhemsky*

Quote:
That was one if towards the subject and another to my head exploding.

But you do have a point.

hemskyhemskyhemsky* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2010, 07:53 PM
Cawz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narnia View Post
You don't put 18-year-olds on the top line. When Gagner made the team as an 18-year-old, he started off on the fourth line and as a winger. Gagner didn't play centre until part way through his 19-year-old season.

No matter who they draft between Hall and Seguin, these players will not be starting their careers as centres. It doesn't matter if it's Hall or Seguin but these players will not start the season on the top line. They will be eased into the NHL slowly. They may eventually play centre but not right away.
I think some people here better mute their immediate expectations for these kids. It could be a few years before they start making an impact. I know we are all excited, but hopefully people here dont start calling for heads to roll when these teenagers dont lead us to the promised land right away.

Cawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2010, 08:15 PM
Delta Cubes

So who takes the CHL player of the year? Eberle, Seguin or Mike Hoffman?

Delta Cubes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2010, 08:17 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickaction View Post
So who takes the CHL player of the year? Eberle, Seguin or Mike Hoffman?
I believe it will be Eberle. The Pats wouldn't have been close to the playoffs without Eberle.

Old
04-29-2010, 08:24 PM
rigger

Quote:
An interview a while back had Ebs saying he thinks both are amazing but he knows Hall personally and played with him a couple times, he said on a personal level it would be fun to play with hall.

He kept the answer very diplomatic but it was obvious he liked the idea of playing with Hall.

rigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2010, 08:31 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigger View Post
An interview a while back had Ebs saying he thinks both are amazing but he knows Hall personally and played with him a couple times, he said on a personal level it would be fun to play with hall.

He kept the answer very diplomatic but it was obvious he liked the idea of playing with Hall.
Didn't Hall say he'd like to play with Eberle as well. The interview about that is on the Oilers website.