HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

HP Buys Palm

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-28-2010, 03:19 PM
  #1
parabola
Global Moderator
novus ordo seclorum
 
parabola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: ಠ_ಠ
Posts: 41,525
vCash: 500
HP Buys Palm

Just saw it on engadget. So uh HP Pre?

__________________
parabola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 03:44 PM
  #2
Sined
The AndroidBugler!
 
Sined's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 6,470
vCash: 500
Whoa.

Time to see if HP can pump out some nice hardware...

Sined is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 04:31 PM
  #3
MayDay
Registered User
 
MayDay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Mount Kisco, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,630
vCash: 500
So as a Verizon Pre Plus owner, is this a good or bad thing for me?

I hope it means that WebOS continues to be well supported with updates and gives a shot in the arm to the (still meager) app store.

I love WebOS, though. IMO, it's the best of the smartphone OS platforms. Wouldn't trade it for Android or iPhone OS or Blackberry.

MayDay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 04:41 PM
  #4
Sined
The AndroidBugler!
 
Sined's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 6,470
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MayDay View Post
So as a Verizon Pre Plus owner, is this a good or bad thing for me?

I hope it means that WebOS continues to be well supported with updates and gives a shot in the arm to the (still meager) app store.

I love WebOS, though. IMO, it's the best of the smartphone OS platforms. Wouldn't trade it for Android or iPhone OS or Blackberry.
By all preliminary indication it should be a great thing. It will basically give Palm that huge infusion of cash it needs to compete with the Big Boys.

Sined is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 04:46 PM
  #5
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster
 
Buffaloed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Buffalo, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 24,941
vCash: 1056
I think we're going to see HP netbooks and tablets running webOS

Quote:
I asked Humphries to expand a bit about webOS and how it stacks up to rival mobile OSes made by Apple and Google. I also asked why HP wouldn’t just develop its own mobile OS as Apple has done? “We think it’s one of the best operating systems out there today. We see nothing in development in the next 3 to 5 years that comes close,” Humphries said. “We want to take HP’s financial strength and use it to take webOS to the next level,” he continued.

Read more: http://techcrunch.com/2010/04/28/hp-...#ixzz0mQxDvSp2

Buffaloed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 05:26 PM
  #6
parabola
Global Moderator
novus ordo seclorum
 
parabola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: ಠ_ಠ
Posts: 41,525
vCash: 500
Really is an insanely smart move by HP. I drool at the thought of a HP Slate device with webOS. I agree with them that webOS is an amazing OS. The only thing holding it back is marketing and hardware.

iPad is pretty much already an inferior product at least as far as software goes. Good timing too as I was considering buying an iPad. But if HP can develop a tablet with a better form factor i'm on board. Let's face it though the HP Slate is pretty fat and ugly compared to what Apple does with their products.

Go HP though this is exciting.

EDIT: I mean seriously how sexy does this look?


parabola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 05:30 PM
  #7
Sined
The AndroidBugler!
 
Sined's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 6,470
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by parabola View Post
Really is an insanely smart move by HP. I drool at the thought of a HP Slate device with webOS. I agree with them that webOS is an amazing OS. The only thing holding it back is marketing and hardware.

iPad is pretty much already an inferior product at least as far as software goes. Good timing too as I was considering buying an iPad. But if HP can develop a tablet with a better form factor i'm on board. Let's face it though the HP Slate is pretty fat and ugly compared to what Apple does with their products.

Go HP though this is exciting.
I concur. If Palm can just out the SDK already and bring in more developers. I can DEFINITELY see an HP webOS powered tablet PC make the iPad look like pure ****.


Last edited by Sined: 04-28-2010 at 05:50 PM.
Sined is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 05:34 PM
  #8
guinness
those were the days
 
guinness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Missoula, Montana
Country: United States
Posts: 12,264
vCash: 500
Sweetness....HP does have a history of nice designs as well, and add in my fav mobile OS.

(typing this from my Pre Plus)

guinness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 05:42 PM
  #9
parabola
Global Moderator
novus ordo seclorum
 
parabola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: ಠ_ಠ
Posts: 41,525
vCash: 500
The one thing I think an webOS tablet will have an advantage over is multitasking. I know Apple likes to claim that their multitasking will be the best, but webOS has it perfected. And it is webOS is a much better OS as far as scaling goes. It would even be good for netbooks where iPhone OS is just not very good for a product like that.

Seriously though this came out of no where yet it makes perfect sense and is way better than anyone else acquiring Palm.

I'm happy for Palm because now they'll have a lot of money backing them, which is one reason they didn't succeed.

parabola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 05:55 PM
  #10
parabola
Global Moderator
novus ordo seclorum
 
parabola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: ಠ_ಠ
Posts: 41,525
vCash: 500
Of course this could still end up bad like the other HP acquisitions.

It'll be interesting at least.

parabola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 10:20 PM
  #11
invictus
Registered User
 
invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 15,159
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by parabola View Post
Of course this could still end up bad like the other HP acquisitions.

It'll be interesting at least.
What other acquisitions has HP bungled?

invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2010, 09:36 AM
  #12
Sined
The AndroidBugler!
 
Sined's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 6,470
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by invictus View Post
What other acquisitions has HP bungled?
VoodooPC

Sined is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2010, 10:05 AM
  #13
guinness
those were the days
 
guinness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Missoula, Montana
Country: United States
Posts: 12,264
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sined View Post
VoodooPC
Meh, they've rolled them into a few Envy designs, and that desktop (Blackbird?) was kind of cool looking, and a well thought out interior.

What I just couldn't understand with the Envy 15 or 15, is how they bungled the touchpad, and there was one other thing that felt like a showstopper for me...but the latest Envy 15 had most of the specs that I felt the latest 15" MBP should have had, like quad-core i7 and Radeon 5xxx.

I don't see Voodoo as a failed acquisition, just because it's never something I would have bought in the first place, just like Alienware.

I do think HP should handle Palm's marketing from here on out, they did an awful job of it. Between announcing the Pre months before it shipping, putting it on Sprint, the horrible carrier commercials, HP can do so much better, ie just show off WebOS, and that it's on Big Red and free mobile tethering. win

guinness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2010, 08:19 PM
  #14
MayDay
Registered User
 
MayDay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Mount Kisco, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,630
vCash: 500
In completely unsurprising news, an HP tablet computer codenamed 'Hurricane' and running WebOS is purportedly in development for Q3 release this year.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/05/08/w...umored-for-q3/

Anyone who watched HP buy Palm, and then immediately turn around and kill their in-development HP Slate running Windows 7, had to know something like this was coming.

MayDay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2010, 08:48 PM
  #15
invictus
Registered User
 
invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 15,159
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MayDay View Post
In completely unsurprising news, an HP tablet computer codenamed 'Hurricane' and running WebOS is purportedly in development for Q3 release this year.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/05/08/w...umored-for-q3/

Anyone who watched HP buy Palm, and then immediately turn around and kill their in-development HP Slate running Windows 7, had to know something like this was coming.
Hopefully Hurricane is useful, cool, and affordable.

invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:54 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.