HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The fallout/aftermath/whatever

Old
04-28-2010, 10:08 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

vCash: 500
The fallout/aftermath/whatever

I'm strangely subdued right now, and not as irate as a I thought I'd be. I guess I knew this was inevitable.

So, instead of the mindless "OMGZ!!1!! Fire Bruce! Trade Green!" nonsense, how about some actual analysis of what happened/what needs to be done about it?

In my mind, some of the team's weakness are:

1. Lack of speed throughout the lineup, especially the defense
2. Poor structure and execution of team defense in the defensive zone.
3. Lack of patience against a structured defensive team or a hot goalie.
4. Subpar movement and creativity on the PP, and a general lack of creativity outside of Backstrom from the center position.
5. The miserable PK.
6. Inability to consistently block shots/interrupt passing lanes. (Obviously very related to point 2.

For issue #1, GMGM has to absolutely address this in the offseason. Both the Habs and the Pens skated circles around the Caps in the defensive zone. The defensemen constantly chase the play, instead of anticipating.

2-5 seem to indicate that there needs to be a shakeup in the coaching staff. I don't know if it should be Bruce, or his assistants. But I'm guessing that the sword falls on Dean Evason. I'm completely ignorant of any available/desirable assistants, but an experienced NHL assistant who's very strict WRT to defensive structure would be ideal.

6 is probably both coaching (defensive positioning/structure) and a personnel issue. There's not a single defenseman on the Caps roster (well, maybe Alzner at some point) that blocks shots as well as anyone in the Habs top 4. The difference between the ability of the Habs' PP and the Caps' PP to get shots through from the point was staggering.

I dunno. Thoughts?

And please, if you can't come up with any reasonable responses, stay out of the thread.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 10:10 PM
aBurmistrov

The PP!! 3%??!

aBurmistrov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 10:12 PM
IslesBeBack*
NHL Free Agent

I mean, you guys have some flaws.. but you got robbed by a goalie. It happens.

9 times out of 10, a goaltender could never do that again. You guys will be here again next year, the time after, and the time after.

You'll get to where you need to be. In the meantime, I'd try to shore up the goaltending and go out and grab a top 2 defenseman. If that means floating Semin and/or Green, you do it.

Otherwise, you can't be too upset. Your team is a MACHINE. This was just.. I mean.. what can you say? Halak stole the show.

Nothing you can do about it. I wouldn't bet against your team, ever. Not even after this. Nobody would.

IslesBeBack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 10:15 PM
TRASHCAT

Hey nobody you might not appreciate me saying this, as you posted in in the bruce cult thread, i pointed out bruce was 1-2 (now 1-3) in playoff series. You asked me what was the point of me pointing out that statistic and ill tell you, as you have written down in your original post my point was he was not a good playoff coach. Would you like to disagree with me now? Perhaps not. Firing Evason wont do a thing.

TRASHCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 10:16 PM
ice8eight

Caps made it too easy for Halak, not much traffic in front of him, its like who ever gets the puck shoots it directly. No puck possession, Ovechkin always shoots and never uses his teammates to make a play. Horrible defense corps.

ice8eight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 10:18 PM
ColincampbellOscopy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatientlyWaiting View Post
I mean, you guys have some flaws.. but you got robbed by a goalie. It happens.

9 times out of 10, a goaltender could never do that again. You guys will be here again next year, the time after, and the time after.

You'll get to where you need to be. In the meantime, I'd try to shore up the goaltending and go out and grab a top 2 defenseman. If that means floating Semin and/or Green, you do it.

Otherwise, you can't be too upset. Your team is a MACHINE. This was just.. I mean.. what can you say? Halak stole the show.

Nothing you can do about it. I wouldn't bet against your team, ever. Not even after this. Nobody would.
As an Islander's fan you must know that a "goaltender did that" to us from your team a few times. We even had a bunch of no-name goalies from Pittsburgh do the exact same thing.

At some point, it's not the goalie. It's the ability of the forwards to get to high traffic areas with consistency, which ours didn't do, and haven't done for some time. I don't know if it's about effort or a need for more structure and set plays to open up easier access to those areas. The "hot goalie" is the least of our problems honestly.

ColincampbellOscopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 10:20 PM
NeilYoung

Alot of it was simply BB being out coached once again, hes a nice guy and all but he screams AHL coach to me yes hes very good at some things but hes completely clueless at other skills like defensive zone coverage I just don't think hes a good enough tactician to lead a winning team. I also don't like how he sticks with his boys honestly Tyler Sloan shouldnt see regular season games let alone playoff games and after game 1 or 2 he should have realized Fleischmann was useless in the playoffs and rolled with Walked but his stick with his guys mentality showed.
One of the most frustrating things was his ability to make adjustments for example after game 6 he blamed it all on Halak being hot and didn't make any adjustments

NeilYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 10:22 PM
Capitlols

Guys not built for the playoffs:
-Semin
-Flash
-Green

Buh bye

Capitlols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 10:25 PM
C-A-P-S

The biggest problem with this team is their top two lines are unable/unwilling to forechecking andcycle the puck.

Sure they generated a ton of shots but the majority were from terrible angles. It is absolutely no surprise that the goal and the non goal were created by traffic.

Semin flash and green have demonstrated that they are incapable of plaaying a more simplified gritty and defensive oriented game come playoff time. It's simply too many minutes given to player incapable of playing in this way.

If i was GMGM I would give serious consideration moving Semin before he becomes a ufa as well as flash. Volchenkov would be a fine addition and a better partner to offset greens inability to play defense.

Corvo and walker should be allowed to walk.

C-A-P-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

The goaltending thing is a ******** excuse. He made unscreened pad saves. Any NHL goalie can do that. We did not run into a hot goaltender, we have a lazy team.

I'm on the record as saying the team has underachieved in the postseason the past 2 years -maybe that's debatable but I don't think it is. By my count that makes 3 years in a row now where we've fallen short.

I think the team needs a serious shock to the system and that shock should come in the form of both Semin and Fleischmann being shipped out.

The key acquisitions I would target are a marquee defensive center and a dman who can skate and play the position. That addresses the PK and balances the team.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
WcRoenick97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appreci8 View Post
-Semin
-Flash
-Green
-Bruce Boudreau

Buh bye
Fixed. And yep, you're right on point. The fearsome foursome. I truly believe this team will win a cup, but changes have to be made.

WcRoenick97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Darch

I don't think it was Halak stealing the show. He played well, but just kept the bottom of the net covered, while the rest of the team put a lot of pressure on the puck handler, forcing the Caps to shoot quick, and usually low. First shots are also easy to stop, very few rebounds. The Habs did a great job of collapsing low to help out.

But I agree after watching this series. The defence is much too slow on the Caps...and soft. 1 hand on your stick everytime trying to push the puck out won't do it when you're getting speedy forcheckers on you.

Caps need one good solid shutdown guy on the back line. Doesn't have to be a monster. Nobody mentions him, but Georges played a very good series. No flash, but effective. 23:10 of icetime tonight.

Darch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 10:27 PM
Leafswillrulesometim

Don't be too upset Caps fans, you guys still have an insanely talented team, and if you guys acquired a decent defensive core and maybe got a better goalie, nobody would wanna ****** with you guys. You guys are guaranteed to be in the playoffs for many years to come, I wish i could say the same about my team....

Leafswillrulesometim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 10:27 PM
NeilYoung

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darch View Post
I don't think it was Halak stealing the show. He played well, but just kept the bottom of the net covered, while the rest of the team put a lot of pressure on the puck handler, forcing the Caps to shoot quick, and usually low. First shots are also easy to stop, very few rebounds. The Habs did a great job of collapsing low to help out.

But I agree after watching this series. The defence is much too slow on the Caps...and soft. 1 hand on your stick everytime trying to push the puck out won't do it when you're getting speedy forcheckers on you.

Caps need one good solid shutdown guy on the back line. Doesn't have to be a monster. Nobody mentions him, but Georges played a very good series. No flash, but effective. 23:10 of icetime tonight.
go to the Montreal Canadiens forum please

NeilYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 10:29 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1300
Quote:
-Semin
-Flash
-Green

Buh bye
I didnt think Sarge had a good series. Sure Green dragged him down, but he didnt step up at all in the playoffs. I question how well he is built for the playoffs. He finally nails a Hab and we get a quick transition the other way, then tries it later and has to take a tripping penalty. Why didnt he practice that this year? Or last? or the year before that?

If he refuses to play physical on our blueline, i question his playoff build. He is too slow to rely on just his stick reach. Monty was a bad draw for him, in his defense. Still, your top dog defensive dman has to have a much stronger presence in the playoffs.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 10:30 PM
sunnydaycrash

According to Corey at CSN on Twitter, OV tried to keep the Caps to stay for the stick salute and only 9 players stayed...wow....anyone know the 9?

sunnydaycrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 10:30 PM
TampaDude

<<<=== Like my new avatar???

I'm leaving it like that until next season, or until the Pens are eliminated, whichever comes first.

TampaDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 10:31 PM
Megaforce

Habs fan here. I come in peace. I admire the Capitals. I'm a little sad that they're out even though I'm happy for the result. You people are good fans and it's a nice franchise. I would have rooted for them against another team because they've got a lot of flair, speed, skill and talent. It must be frustrating seeing that gummed down by a determined defense cutting off passing lanes and blocking shots.

I'm a bit critical of Varlamov. Had he made a few more key saves it would have been an overtime game. I don't think he showed up against the Pens last year either. I was a bit surprised at Green too, he didn't seem up to speed. But Ovechkin is such an amazing player, he's on a totally different level. I suspect there's still a cup in your future even if you lose a few players along the way.

Megaforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 10:32 PM
Langway
Intangibles

A transition-based offense that was neither quick enough through the neutral zone when necessary or good enough at causing turnovers in order to spark their transition game. They've never been a dump & chase team outside of the fourth line and the pace/time/space in this series was rarely in their comfort zone. They needed to have a more structured team attack late in this series and it wasn't quite there.

They rely a lot on their individual skill and that just won't cut it against inspired team defenses. It's the same story as when they've been stymied against those sorts of teams in the regular season.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 10:32 PM
Codependent
Fail for Nail!

Quote:
-Semin
-Flash
-Green

Buh bye
Hard to disagree based on their performance. That being said, the fish rots from the head.

GMGM needs to be held accountable for making the necessary changes and the coaching staff needs a shake up if nothing else and no one inside the house is the solution. Bruce is on notice at best. At the point, I won't blink an eye if he's yesterday's news. They need a second line center that is committed to paying the price and a coach that holds the team accountable. Semin, Green, and Flash are pieces they could do an awful lot with and yet they're pieces that delivered a negative sum in this series. If you stop and really think about their perceived value, that's fairly shocking. The sad part is, we all saw it coming. And it ain't the first time.

For now, I'm numb. The ghosts live and this year's Stanley Cup Run died young. The Canadiens fan drinking next to me bought me a shot though; thanks for showing some class fellah. Hey, even Boston broke their curse eventually; it won't last forever. This team is still built for long haul, but right now: it hurts like a b****.

Codependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 10:33 PM
DaleHunter

Send a message via MSN to DaleHunter
I'm just profoundly sad right now. When life isn't going great, it's nice to have your favorite sports team to live vicariously through as they kick some ass. Now I don't even have that, and won't until next September when football season comes around.

It wasn't just Halak being unbelieveably hot (and he was). But Montreal just collapsed 4 defenders and parked them in front of the net while the remaining one pressured the puck. It was very hard to get open looks on the net, and the few we did get were blocked by a well-placed stick, sent wide, or shot right into Halak's gut.

I don't think we need to blow up the team, but I do think several changes need to be made on both the team and the coaching staff. We have too many guys who disappear in the playoffs consistently. They need to be replaced with vets or willing prospects who do not disappear in the clutch.

DaleHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 10:33 PM
jacksonh

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
The goaltending thing is a ******** excuse. He made unscreened pad saves. Any NHL goalie can do that. We did not run into a hot goaltender, we have a lazy team.
Glad that other people are saying this.

jacksonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 10:34 PM
WingmanCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnydaycrash View Post
According to Corey at CSN on Twitter, OV tried to keep the Caps to stay for the stick salute and only 9 players stayed...wow....anyone know the 9?
I wouldn't hold it against them. If I were there, I'm not too sure I'd want a salute from them.

Best thing about being in Louisiana is I don't have to hear anything from friends/coworkers etc.

WingmanCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
checkerdome

I wonder how much Ovechkin was affected by the Russian team's disappointing showing at the Olympics.

Based on how passionately he came out in favor of participating in the Olympics in his homeland, he's quite emotionally invested in his country's national team.

Maybe these last Olympics left a sour psychological taste in his mouth that he never quite shook off.

Having said that, I have to confess to not having followed the Caps very closely. I'm basing my suggestion on how many observers have said Ovechkin was not the same after the Olympics.

checkerdome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Seaward*

Biggest Reason

The main reason the Caps lost is that they pulled Theo in game 2. That move alone showed that the team had no confidence in itself and its own number one goalie.

If they would have kept Theo in, they would have worked through that one bad start to one game.

Seaward* is offline   Reply With Quote