HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The fallout/aftermath/whatever

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-29-2010, 06:34 PM
  #351
Capitlols
Registered User
 
Capitlols's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 10,728
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
Quote:
I simply wanted to stay with the same contract and play one more year. But you have to understand that my wish is one thing, and the club interests that the general manager is responsible for, Washington decided to take a different road.
Wonder how much of a difference Feds would have made this year.

Capitlols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2010, 06:36 PM
  #352
sunnydaycrash
Registered User
 
sunnydaycrash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Vancouver
Country: Portugal
Posts: 3,712
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely08 View Post
Bruins fan here...

Just wanted to say I didn't think anything would stop your team. Halak got white hot and his team rallied around him, that's all. I know it sucks now, but you guys will be a force again next year. The playoffs expose your weaknesses, it's the way it is, you'll improve and be the team to beat once again next season.

Don't sweat this too much.
thanks man...heaps of family in the Boston area.....so I`m cheering on the Bruins.

sunnydaycrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2010, 06:41 PM
  #353
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter
 
californiacapsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Berzerkeley, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,913
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely08 View Post
Bruins fan here...

Just wanted to say I didn't think anything would stop your team. Halak got white hot and his team rallied around him, that's all. I know it sucks now, but you guys will be a force again next year. The playoffs expose your weaknesses, it's the way it is, you'll improve and be the team to beat once again next season.

Don't sweat this too much.
thanks. sure hope you're right.

right now, this one really stings. gonna take some time to wear off.

californiacapsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2010, 06:45 PM
  #354
Neely08
Registered User
 
Neely08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: North of Boston
Country: United States
Posts: 18,194
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnydaycrash View Post
thanks man...heaps of family in the Boston area.....so I`m cheering on the Bruins.
I have heaps of family and friends in northern Virginia. All of em suddenly hockey nuts because of the caps. Which makes me happy to see for the sake of the game.

We'll need your well wishes. Totally different philosophy than your team, mostly out of necessity.

AO scores more at the playboy mansion than our forwards do against goalie tutors. But, they have heart, and help is on the way in the draft. Building a team, especially a championship one is a process, and you guys have a bigtime head start.

Neely08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2010, 07:32 PM
  #355
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles
 
BrooklynCapsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Posts: 14,865
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
I hate the Nylander contract. I would have given Fedorov the money he wanted. Sigh.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2010, 08:41 PM
  #356
HSHS
Losing is a disease
 
HSHS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Redondo Beach, Ca
Country: United States
Posts: 17,639
vCash: 500
I wasn't complaining about the ref'ing. Only game 3 pens sends me off the ledge. I was mentioning how ironic it was to be on both sides of these calls.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2010, 09:33 PM
  #357
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!
 
BiPolar Caps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 5,792
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovys Missing Tooth View Post
I think we've got plenty to complain about re the officiating, but that Green cross-checking penalty isn't on the list. Way too obvious. Plus, if it wasn't cross-checking, it was interference.
Wasn't complaining about the Green call, it was just as obvious as the O'Byrne hold/interference on Laich while the puck was sitting there in the crease and Halak didn't know where it was. I was at the game, so I DVRd it and just watched that play in slow motion. Obvious O'Byrne was trying to hold Laich back from going to the puck and in so doing took him down to the ice. It's the consistency issue or lack thereof that's disturbing.

BiPolar Caps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2010, 09:58 PM
  #358
muffinarm
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Annapolis, MD
Country: United States
Posts: 328
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSHS View Post
There's a lot of putting your hands in the air if you're a Caps' fan for sure wrt refs.

Not only do we get the shaft on both ends of the incidental contact spectrum in GAME FREAKIN 7s...

but also Varly gets called for a weak protecting himself slash in game 3 vs Pitt which help them come back from 2-0 deficit the day after getting cross checked in the face by Kunitz... which they let go cause the Pens are down by 2.

Sometimes you just have to laugh.
Like it or not, in a seven game series the better team almost always wins. Truly outstanding teams rally around weak calls and overcome them, mediocre ones use them as excuses or fall apart emotionally. Calls and luck even out in the end.

muffinarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2010, 09:59 PM
  #359
Unstable
Registered User
 
Unstable's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Exiled in NoVA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,115
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps View Post
Was this needed?

The trashy, obnoxious fanboys that populate PA's sports landscape could win a hundred Cups and still wouldn't be satisfied unless they were pissing on someone else in the process.
Dude, the Eulogy series is meant to be offensive. Forget the Pensblog, that was tame by Puck Daddy standards!

Unstable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2010, 07:32 AM
  #360
BobRouse
Registered User
 
BobRouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 6,926
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderratedBrooks44 View Post
That's fair. I guess it comes down to how patient you want to be. You could sign a low pairing Dman with grit and then it just comes down to how fast Carlson and more so Alzner bring it together or you can make a big splash in free agency. The future is now though, so I see your point.

My only thing is if you trade Semin and put $4-5 million of it into your D, are you prepared to be a one line team potency wise? I think it makes it less stressful on an opponent and they feel a lot more comfortable if they know they have a good chance of winning if they can just whether the storm until AO/Backstrom go to the bench. It's still the most potent line in the league and I actually like your third line, it's not a criticism of them, I'm just talking from a scoring depth perspective.
Actually I think some of the criticism on how the Caps are constructed is that they do not have a distinct bottom six/top six.

They rolled 3 scoring lines and an energy line all season. They did not have a true checking/shutdown line. Thats a dangerous game to play come playoff time.

I think we have too many top 6 forwards to be honest. Fehr and Flash should be in the top 6 not the 3rd line as was the case much of the season.

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2010, 08:13 AM
  #361
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 41,376
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
They rolled 3 scoring lines and an energy line all season. They did not have a true checking/shutdown line. Thats a dangerous game to play come playoff time..
And this effected their power play how? They lost three games after giving up 2 goals in regulation. A fourth game giving up 3 + an ENG. A checking/shutdown line changes that they lost 4 games after scoring a total of 5 goals in those games how?

I realize that many of you have your long held feelings about the roster and/or coaching/strategy. The lack of a stay at home veteran top pair defenseman, lack of a checking line, lack of a top quality veteran goalie and so forth. While those are all valid questions, they didn't lose to Montreal because of any of that.

Hell, you can make a good case that Chimera-Belanger-Fehr is a checking line. Its certainly not a scoring line. They lost because of lack of goals for, not goals against.

Maybe your theory falls into place if they win game 7 and then lose to the Flyers by giving up massive numbers of goals in the crease and by a single line against, but that didnt happen. They couldnt score and they lost. They gave up 16 shots on goal and lost because they could barely score one goal.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2010, 08:30 AM
  #362
kovalost27
 
kovalost27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 745
vCash: 500
I wouldn't think too deeply about it. Washington will have many years to win a cup with the likes of Ovechkin and Backstrom. Halak was just way too hot. Kind of like when Montreal in 2008 faced Biron in the second round.

kovalost27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2010, 08:48 AM
  #363
BobRouse
Registered User
 
BobRouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 6,926
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
And this effected their power play how? They lost three games after giving up 2 goals in regulation. A fourth game giving up 3 + an ENG. A checking/shutdown line changes that they lost 4 games after scoring a total of 5 goals in those games how?

I realize that many of you have your long held feelings about the roster and/or coaching/strategy. The lack of a stay at home veteran top pair defenseman, lack of a checking line, lack of a top quality veteran goalie and so forth. While those are all valid questions, they didn't lose to Montreal because of any of that.

Hell, you can make a good case that Chimera-Belanger-Fehr is a checking line. Its certainly not a scoring line. They lost because of lack of goals for, not goals against.

Maybe your theory falls into place if they win game 7 and then lose to the Flyers by giving up massive numbers of goals in the crease and by a single line against, but that didnt happen. They couldnt score and they lost. They gave up 16 shots on goal and lost because they could barely score one goal.

You make some very valid point txpd.

What I do want to say is that defense leads to offense. I found the main problem in the last 3 games was that we fell behind early and that afforded the habs to go into full prevent defense. I've seen this tactic in the olympics as well as NHL playoffs and its highly successful if it works right and the team scores the first goal.

If we defended better off the bat and were not outscored by such a wide margin in the 1st periods it would have broken their defensive shell somewhat.

But I do think the lack of hitting, grinding and wearing down an opponent was a factor as well. Outside of a few stretches we really didn't assert our size advantage as much as I thought we would.

Also true defensive specialists (both forwards and D) would have helped on the PK as well..another area where we were not up to snuff.

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2010, 09:20 AM
  #364
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 41,376
vCash: 500
offense often does begin on defense. when a team is pinned in its own end its very hard to score. a team that can't get the puck and effectively transition to offense is going to have trouble scoring.

The Capitals played the entire series in offensive zone. Game 7 was 0-0 for 18:00. The Caps couldn't finish.

I tend to agree the Caps didn't hit enough and use their size advantage as well as they should have, but that is not a matter of personel changes. Its a matter of focus. Fact was that the Capitals shot advantage and territorial advantage in the 3rd period throughout that series would suggest they did wear down Montreal.

Game 7 the Habs scored 1 goal and played for it to hold up. Thats not about defense or the PK. Its about lack of scoring.

The last two minutes of the game the Caps had a score or go home power play. Nothing.

I would agree that Washington could profit from a top level veteran checking forward because defense is still as much about experience and knowing what to do as it is ability.
But that was what Belanger was suppose to be.

Frankly, McPhee's deadline acquisitions ALL fell flat. None of them brought anything to speak of.

I agree in general principle that what you want to see added to the roster might make them better, but it doesnt speak to why they lost to Montreal. They lost not because of players they don't have and should, but because their best players failed them. There is no other way to put it.

When they needed to score a goal, 8, 19, 22, 28, 52 didn't couldn't make a play. Unfortunately I would have to say that would not happen to 87. Its painful but true.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2010, 09:21 AM
  #365
BobRouse
Registered User
 
BobRouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 6,926
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
It was good to see that Brash, Feds and Langway were around the Caps come post season time.

I think Fedorov made some good points...reading it I interpret that he felt Green needed a real stablizing D partner to help him along.

I think he understood our cap situation last year and that there was no way we were going to afford him unless Nylander was taken care of back then.

He also insinuated that Bruce is going through a learning curve and I agree with him there.

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2010, 09:27 AM
  #366
BobRouse
Registered User
 
BobRouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 6,926
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
offense often does begin on defense. when a team is pinned in its own end its very hard to score. a team that can't get the puck and effectively transition to offense is going to have trouble scoring.

The Capitals played the entire series in offensive zone. Game 7 was 0-0 for 18:00. The Caps couldn't finish.

I tend to agree the Caps didn't hit enough and use their size advantage as well as they should have, but that is not a matter of personel changes. Its a matter of focus. Fact was that the Capitals shot advantage and territorial advantage in the 3rd period throughout that series would suggest they did wear down Montreal.

Game 7 the Habs scored 1 goal and played for it to hold up. Thats not about defense or the PK. Its about lack of scoring.

The last two minutes of the game the Caps had a score or go home power play. Nothing.

I would agree that Washington could profit from a top level veteran checking forward because defense is still as much about experience and knowing what to do as it is ability.
But that was what Belanger was suppose to be.

Frankly, McPhee's deadline acquisitions ALL fell flat. None of them brought anything to speak of.

I agree in general principle that what you want to see added to the roster might make them better, but it doesnt speak to why they lost to Montreal. They lost not because of players they don't have and should, but because their best players failed them. There is no other way to put it.

When they needed to score a goal, 8, 19, 22, 28, 52 didn't couldn't make a play. Unfortunately I would have to say that would not happen to 87. Its painful but true.

Well Crosby doesn't exactly have a sterling record in game 7s either but I see your points. One thing is that the Pens bottom six guys contribute a ton to that team ...Cooke, Staal, Talbot, Kennedy, Rupp etc..they all cycle, finish checks, play tight D and score key goals.

There is no question that our top offensive players failed to produce but our bottom six didn't bring very much at all sans Boyd Gordon. Not only did they fail to kill penalties, consistently finish checks, or cycle but there wasn't much production from the grinders we had. Belanger, Steckel, Bradley, Chimera all underachieved along with the stars offensively but they didnt do the little things they are expected to either. At least our stars generated offense..they just couldnt finish. The grinders I thought really let us down by not kiling penalties when needed and failing to provide a physical presence.

But I think the best bet would be to trim down and finally decide on who is going to be your top 6 and then start constructing a more gritty 3rd line.

I too agree that all the acquistions fell flat except for Walker who never really got a fair shake.

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2010, 09:32 AM
  #367
strungout
Professional Killer
 
strungout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Maryland
Posts: 29,226
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
I too agree that all the acquistions fell flat except for Walker who never really got a fair shake.
The real travesty of the first round, IMO. Walker should have been in the line up after the first game.

strungout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2010, 09:37 AM
  #368
BobRouse
Registered User
 
BobRouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 6,926
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
The real travesty of the first round, IMO. Walker should have been in the line up after the first game.
No doubt. But at least he finally figured it out at the end..perhaps too late but he did figure it out.

Maybe his loyalty to flash (only pulling him at at the most desperate moment and giving him every opportunity) will pay off this summer and that Flash takes BBs commitment to him to heart and works out extremely hard to add a bit more weight to his frame so he can win one on one battles.

Belanger while good at face offs did nothing offensively and didn't hit very much if at all. He wasn't terrible but he wasn't good either.

Corvo..he played OK but wasn't what we needed that is for sure.

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2010, 09:39 AM
  #369
chsb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 2,288
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
Actually I think some of the criticism on how the Caps are constructed is that they do not have a distinct bottom six/top six.

They rolled 3 scoring lines and an energy line all season. They did not have a true checking/shutdown line. Thats a dangerous game to play come playoff time.

I think we have too many top 6 forwards to be honest. Fehr and Flash should be in the top 6 not the 3rd line as was the case much of the season.

Except that you did not have a legit #2 centerman...all wingers really.

chsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2010, 09:44 AM
  #370
strungout
Professional Killer
 
strungout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Maryland
Posts: 29,226
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
No doubt. But at least he finally figured it out at the end..perhaps too late but he did figure it out.

Maybe his loyalty to flash (only pulling him at at the most desperate moment and giving him every opportunity) will pay off this summer and that Flash takes BBs commitment to him to heart and works out extremely hard to add a bit more weight to his frame so he can win one on one battles.

Belanger while good at face offs did nothing offensively and didn't hit very much if at all. He wasn't terrible but he wasn't good either.

Corvo..he played OK but wasn't what we needed that is for sure.
All the moves were depth moves....they were not the next step moves they needed...I agree and pointed it out at the deadline.

Loved the Walker trade at the time...but him getting hurt and then not playing in the first 6 games was just a let down to me. That was the main gripe I had the entire series.

I thought Corvo was ok...Pothier would have been as effective but you never know. That was a wash.

I had hopes of Belanger being better...but at least we'll always have the teeth story.

strungout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2010, 09:46 AM
  #371
CapsWolverinesUSA
Registered User
 
CapsWolverinesUSA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 5,134
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by muffinarm View Post
Like it or not, in a seven game series the better team almost always wins. Truly outstanding teams rally around weak calls and overcome them, mediocre ones use them as excuses or fall apart emotionally. Calls and luck even out in the end.
If there is an oft-repeated sports cliche that is less accurate than this one, I don't know what it is. Especially in freakin' hockey.

CapsWolverinesUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2010, 09:50 AM
  #372
BobRouse
Registered User
 
BobRouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 6,926
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
All the moves were depth moves....they were not the next step moves they needed...I agree and pointed it out at the deadline.

Loved the Walker trade at the time...but him getting hurt and then not playing in the first 6 games was just a let down to me. That was the main gripe I had the entire series.

I thought Corvo was ok...Pothier would have been as effective but you never know. That was a wash.

I had hopes of Belanger being better...but at least we'll always have the teeth story.
Complete agreement here. Thats a good way to put it..they were all "depth" moves as opposed to the "next step moves". I guess George either overestimated our team or he didn't want to sacrifice futures for a shot right now and wanted to stick to his philosophy that has worked with some success over the past few years.

Belanger is interesting..he's not very physical, good at draws, not quite awesome enough defensively to be a true shutdown 3rd line center and nowhere near as offensively inclined to be a 2nd line center. Really a tweener and I dont think we should resign him. Good story on the teeth thing but thats as far as it went with him.

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2010, 09:52 AM
  #373
BobRouse
Registered User
 
BobRouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 6,926
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chsb View Post
Except that you did not have a legit #2 centerman...all wingers really.
That is true but in a salary cap world its hard to have a perfect team. They flipflopped between BMo and Belanger and hoped one of them would be the answer or get hot. Didn't happen.

I'd give that spot to Perrault for the start of next year and if he can't cut it then we can acquire a vet at the deadline.

We need to focus on a top 4 dman and a true 3rd line center more than the 2nd line position IMO.

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2010, 09:58 AM
  #374
EYEuhFRAYtee
Registered User
 
EYEuhFRAYtee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 2,476
vCash: 500
Quote:
We need to focus on a top 4 dman and a true 3rd line center more than the 2nd line position IMO.
I want some stability at the 2LC - I'm tired of the Bmo/Belanger/Flash rotation. It's possible all three of them are gone next season so that's a spot that really needs to be addressed.

EYEuhFRAYtee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2010, 09:59 AM
  #375
HSHS
Losing is a disease
 
HSHS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Redondo Beach, Ca
Country: United States
Posts: 17,639
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by muffinarm View Post
Like it or not, in a seven game series the better team almost always wins. Truly outstanding teams rally around weak calls and overcome them, mediocre ones use them as excuses or fall apart emotionally. Calls and luck even out in the end.
leave. You have no clue of context

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:39 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.