HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The fallout/aftermath/whatever

Old
04-28-2010, 09:36 PM
imanania

vCash: 500
LOL to everybody who thinks green and semin will be traded. green is a norris trophy candidate, can put up 80 points playing DEFENCE, and he is still young. i saw his mistakes tonight, and it's true caps fans have been defending him like crazy, but i think if you put him with a defensive stud like pronger or a stay at home defenceman he will be a lot calmer. if you are gonna trade green, ill take him anyday, but the fact is he wont be traded even if he should be. semin wont be traded either. theres a reason why thornton is still in SJ after so many years and chances to redeem himself and rid himself of the "playoff" choker title.

the only changes that will be made will probably be some bottom 6 guys leaving to make room for role players, maybe one of the 20 goal scorers like fleischmann, and better defensive players. i see washington really going all out to sign a guy like volchenkov. thing is, as much as caps fans would like to think prior to playoffs that they would win the cup, i was one of the few that thought MTL would win because that team is full of experience, role players, and TEAM players. watching backstrmo skating circles in the offensive zone, or ovechkin skating into the middle of the ice into 3 guys is fun to watch, but the caps cant seem to make the transition in the regular season to offensively highpower to more of a shutdown kinda thing. genius tactic by martin to let price play so shake up halak, and it worked out

imanania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 09:37 PM
Semin

Who would of thought the PP would of been this atrocious.

Ovechkin is so dejected he barely said anything in an interview.

Semin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 09:38 PM
EDV6242

Inexperience no matter how much they talk about us being an experienced playoff team. Total lack of concentrated offense. I didn't see any system being played out, just sloppy dump and chase plays or an occasional 1 on 2 rush that quickly resulted in a turnover.

With that said I think the problem is similar to what Russia had in their Olympic games. Too many forwards trying to be the #1 guy and no focus on TEAM PLAY.

EDV6242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 09:40 PM
NeilYoung

Can anyone tell me what the **** John Carlson was doing on that last goal

NeilYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 09:41 PM
pman25

The penalty kill is just awful. They need some sort of coach and players to fix that. I agree that they should hire an experienced assistant to help shore up the defense/pk.

They need to get in front of the goaltender. We can't just shoot right into the chest. They need to consistently get traffic in front of the goalie and go to the net on a night in night out basis.

All of this still hasn't really hit me yet. I'll probably be a lot more pissed tomorrow

pman25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 09:42 PM
EDV6242

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreamSoda View Post
The main reason the Caps lost is that they pulled Theo in game 2. That move alone showed that the team had no confidence in itself and its own number one goalie.

If they would have kept Theo in, they would have worked through that one bad start to one game.

I agree with you 100%. Although i think Varly is a great goalie and has big future in the league, the switching in playoffs like that kills confidence.

EDV6242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

It likely won't happen, but I really believe that GMGM needs to pick between Bruce and Schultz this summer.

Schultz is a good player, but he's much more suited to a system that lets him sit back when defending transition and the neutral zone, rather than one that requires him to pressure at the blueline. In the playoffs, when the speed and pressure is ramped up, he's basically an effective forecheck waiting to happen. He'd be fine at say, $1.5 million per, but I'd expect any extension to commend double that, at least.

The defense needs some new veteran blood.

Mobile LD - Green
Poti-Mobile RD
Alzner-Carlson

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

vCash: 50
Absolutely pathetic that the fans cheered at the end of the game. There should have been deafening boos and an endless chant of "Fire Bruce."

Liberati0n* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 09:43 PM
sunnydaycrash

the worse part...BB will stay, GMGM will stay which isn`t horrible but somehow , someway Flash will get a 2-3 year deal at 2-3 million a year.

sunnydaycrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 09:44 PM
WingmanCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreamSoda View Post
The main reason the Caps lost is that they pulled Theo in game 2. That move alone showed that the team had no confidence in itself and its own number one goalie.

If they would have kept Theo in, they would have worked through that one bad start to one game.
"They" pulled Theo? It's a 1 man decision. And Varly did fine. Stole games 3&4 IMO, and 2GA, 3GA, 2GA in each respective game. While not stealing anything like Halak, if your goalie can hold the other team to 2GA on a team known for lackadaisical defense, that's not your "biggest reason."

WingmanCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 09:45 PM
Stjonnypopo
Rgesitreed Uesr

vCash: 506
The loss had nothing to do with your players and everything to do with how they were used.

Stjonnypopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 10:01 PM
reginaoil

I don't think your guy's problem is Green. It's having Poti and Green etc on the same team and a goalie who isn't quite ready to steal games like Halak did.

Add to that having Semin and Ovechkin up front who are also great offensive talents but need others to cover their backs defensivly.

You have 4 players like that who play big minutes for your team and you need a very good goalie.

Your goalie might be ready next year, he's close already and has two playoffs under his belt so no major changes needed there. Maybe pick up a Roloson type Vet to back him up.

Then keep Green and Ovy and move Poti and Semin.

The Oilers had TWO(not 4) offense first players...Gretzky and Coffey. All the rest of there important players were good two way players (Messier, Kurri, Lowe, etc).

(Mention Oilers because this WSH team was compared to them all season)

reginaoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 10:02 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

I bet bruce is kicking himself for sitting his... little buddy.

To beat a team like Monty, you gotta get your hands dirty. We just threw pucks at the D and G and watched, worse yet played into it by going with our el softie lineup. I wish we used more drop passes and drove the net to occupy defenders.

Their defensemen put on an absolute clinic through simple positioning and a willingness to eat pucks. Hats off the cra... habs. And no more Hal Gill pylon jokes, he epitomizes how a big slow tough 6/7 can kick ass in the playoffs. I hope everyone noticed him smothering our O two years in a row now.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 10:04 PM
Langway
Intangibles

I'm not sure sitting Fleischmann was his call. We may never find out.

Seems like the collapse has killed the boards.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 10:05 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stjonnypopo View Post
The loss had nothing to do with your players and everything to do with how they were used.
The loss certainly had to do with the players.

There was very little production from anyone beyond the first line.

The players and the coaches share the blame.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 10:09 PM
WingmanCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
I'm not sure sitting Fleischmann was his call. We may never find out.

Seems like the collapse has killed the boards.
I would venture to guess it's the "upset" that has killed the boards.

One last thought before I drink myself into numbed oblivion. I really thought Versus was disingenuous to the Caps. The announcers really laid on the criticism throughout the game, to the point where I muted it up until Laich scored. For sure there was room for criticism, but skipping out on play-by-play time to rub how things weren't going well in our faces really got to me after 3 periods.

Also, Versus has a nasty habit of focusing on one person who looks down for long periods of time. It drove me crazy. At the exact moment this picture was taken...

the Verizon center was in the midst of a "Let's go Caps" chant, that was pretty loud and proud, given the state of trouble the team was in. Like I said, disingenuous.

WingmanCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 10:09 PM
artilector

Guys, I can't even begin talking about what happened today... it's not really about a single game, or even a series, or even a season -- it's about an entire hockey philosophy, so sad to see.. I'm gonna leave that for later..

I'm just gonna vent a bit, apologies for the corny stuff..

But I just wanted to say, all year (and previous years) this Caps forum has been such a homey, informative, comfortable, great resource... and I want to thank the posters here, especially the regulars but also some informed fans who drop in occasionally -- for a non-DC resident this is pretty much the only place to feel connected to the team. I don't know any of you personally, but I know there are some real long-time true fans here. I've only been on the bandwagon since Ovechkin came aboard... I feel like utter crap (and so does my dad, and he's only seen maybe 8 Caps games this year, lol) -- I can only imagine what a true long-suffering fan is feeling like right now. I commiserate!

You know that this team and everyone associated with it is going to be the subject of relentless ridicule for many long months. The players, especially the captain, my god, are they going to get hammered from every source and direction (of which maybe 10% will be deserved) -- can you imagine? And all these people who pointed fingers now get to say that they were right all along. Good for them, and screw 'em!

Regardless, I think there are a few people in the organization who have what it takes to absorb the punishment and keep digging at it. Ovechkin, Backstrom, Carlson, Laich and (you're gonna laugh), Leonsis. There are others who I *hope* have what it takes, but even with these guys, it's a good enough core, more importantly -- it's OUR core. Everybody's gonna have to keep the fires burning.

There are going to be painful times and probably some sad departures, but whatever changes, I hope this forum never does. Long live offensive Caps hockey and it's fans!

artilector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 10:10 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsGreat08AO View Post
Can anyone tell me what the **** John Carlson was doing on that last goal
I think he was staying up high to help keep up the attack. It looks like he was coasting back to some, but I bet Bruce told him to cheat and join the rush.

He saw Green was in great position to make the play. Green would have to go to his backhand to go Carlson's way, Greener needed to whack that around on the forehand. Regardless, Green stumbled and fumbled it and Carlson looked out of the play. We were desperate for offense at that time and he stayed up high.

Regardless if its a rookie mistake, he's a rookie and thats what everyone should expect. He had lots of turnovers in this series, again, expected. Maybe we should have traded Flash to Carolina instead of Pothier, and Carlson be our RD depth. But he learned a ton and should be better for it. We would have lost game 2 if not for him. Losing tonight is not on him, and he made a great pass to Chimera for maybe our best chance of the night right after that.

Alzner looked real good tonight. I can remember several simple yet nice defensive plays, more in one night than Sarge in the entire series. He should have been here all year, at LD where he looks great.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 10:11 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stjonnypopo View Post
Totally disagree.

Now...I had a problem with some of the choices of who was and wasn't playing (Walker and Alzner should have been in the line up from Game 1 on)...but some players just did not show up. (Semin, Green, Flash). Simple as that in my mind.

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 10:13 PM
sunnydaycrash

worst part of all this....Schultz and Flash will probably raises that far exceeds their value.

sunnydaycrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 10:15 PM
Bananas

The Caps board is gonna be like an AA meeting for a while methinks.

Bananas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 10:17 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
Totally disagree.

Now...I had a problem with some of the choices of who was and wasn't playing (Walker and Alzner should have been in the line up from Game 1 on)...but some players just did not show up. (Semin, Green, Flash). Simple as that in my mind.
Dude... the reasons are many, but Boudreau is also on the table.

One of the reactive moves that probably won't get as much play as others immediately, is that I think the Capitals are going to get a goaltender this summer. This series probably convinced McPhee that the cheap kids approach to 1a and 1b may work itself out in time, but it's too early to rely on it. That means a shuffling of where the team spends its money.

I suspect they will trade Semin, debate Green internally but keep him in the end, and add a defenseman via a trade or free agency.

Boudreau will get one year. He lives or dies on the basis of the team's performance in next year's playoffs.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 10:20 PM
AK Dandyman

Oilers fan here watching the series. Was cheering for the Cap as the Cap play offensive hockey which is always fun to watch, and was hoping for a Caps vs Pens match up in the conference final which would be entertaining hockey. And i have a whole bunch of Caps players in my playoff pool.....

From an outsider, here's the problems i saw with the Caps in this series,

- Running into a super hot goalie in Halak
- Lack of clutch goaltending. When will the Caps management realize they need to upgrade goaltending? I was hoping Caps get Roloson at the deadline.
- Lack of a stud defenseman. Mike Green is one of the best offensive Dman but there is lots of deficiency in his defensive game. May be that's why he wasn't on the Canadian Olympic team.

On the other hand, i found Backstrom was even better than i thought after watching the series.

Any clue why Semin not doing well in the playoffs?

AK Dandyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 10:21 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
Dude... the reasons are many, but Boudreau is also on the table.

One of the reactive moves that probably won't get as much play as others immediately, is that I think the Capitals are going to get a goaltender this summer. This series probably convinced McPhee that the cheap kids approach to 1a and 1b may work itself out in time, but it's too early to rely on it. That means a shuffling of where the team spends its money.

I suspect they will trade Semin, debate Green internally but keep him in the end, and add a defenseman via a trade or free agency.

Boudreau will get one year. He lives or dies on the basis of the team's performance in next year's playoffs.
I don't agree on the goaltender thing. It wasn't an issue in this series...aside from the two goals on two shots thing from Theo.

But yeah, some blame goes to Bruce...I just put more on Semin and Green.

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 10:21 PM
bishop12
Ovyously

The Caps lost to Halak...Everything else was there to win it all.

bishop12 is offline   Reply With Quote