HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The fallout/aftermath/whatever

Old
04-30-2010, 11:40 PM
NeilYoung

vCash: 500
I`ll try to be positive, if I told you before the series started that we lost to Montreal and it wasn`t our defenses fault everyone would be surprised. I don`t know whats was more painful last year watching Crosby bang multiple goals in around the net or our power play this year it hurts to love this team so much

NeilYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2010, 02:21 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

This ****h its really deppressing after a few ddays, and alot of alchol.

Damn tmna. ****gin hla Gill. a rou ayou kididing me?

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2010, 02:33 AM
CapsWolverinesUSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post

Grade-A PUI (Posting Under the Influence).

Classic.

CapsWolverinesUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2010, 05:58 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2012 View Post
Yup. The league neutralized Ovechkin for the last 2 months....he was never the same after the suspension....limited hitting, grit, etc...completely handcuffed.
wow you really are serious. You think that was the leagues fault? How is it the leagues fault that they had to suspend a guy who repeatedly breaks the rules and who plays a borderline dirty game, often crossing that line between physical and dirty. He's Matt Cooke but way better at hockey. They didn't handcuff him, they made him follow the rules. Now he just needs to figure out how to balance out his style of play with the risk of injuring others. It only took 4 years of overlooking his crap to realize that they absolutely had to do something about it. If it was Crosby I'm sure they would have overlooked it for a while too. But eventually there really wouldn't be any other choice but to deal with it.

Also, Matt Cooke is the guy who made the hit on Markov. Are you honestly going to tell me that the league would protect Matt Cooke over Alex Ovechkin? With a straight face?

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2010, 06:01 AM
stanleycaps98
I cheer for laundry

Then why isn't Cooke getting suspended for hits that are dirtier than Ovechkin's? I am not going to say that AO was completely neutralized, but the glaring lack of consistency in doling out penalties and suspensions can affect how the players play.

stanleycaps98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2010, 06:24 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanleycaps98 View Post
Then why isn't Cooke getting suspended for hits that are dirtier than Ovechkin's? I am not going to say that AO was completely neutralized, but the glaring lack of consistency in doling out penalties and suspensions can affect how the players play.
Matt Cooke had 1 dirty play that he wasn't suspended for this year that he probably should have been. It has been talked about so much on these boards that I really don't want to get into it. Basically his hit on Savard perfectly fell into a loophole in the rules which caused them to be unable to suspend him. Instead, they made a new rule about it.

His hit on Markov was 100% clean. Textbook shoulder check. Markov got his foot stuck against the wall on his way down, causing the injury.

Old
05-01-2010, 06:31 AM
fsnoles98

They made it look easy against Halak

Yes, the habs were tired, but Pittsburgh made it look real easy on the PP last night in game one. I also noticed alot of their goals were low. This is I feel is a coaching adjustment. I think Ted had it right on his website saying about our hockey I.Q. I not sure if that was directed at the players or the coaching staff. I said it at the deadline, that we did not fill our needs and the President's cup is one thing, but playoff hockey is another. We have great skill players in the open ice, a team takes away that open ice and collapse back in, our hockey vanishes. It will be interesting to see what moves are made for next year, if any. But if none are made be prepare for a great regular season and an early exit once again.

fsnoles98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2010, 07:15 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
Also, Matt Cooke is the guy who made the hit on Markov. Are you honestly going to tell me that the league would protect Matt Cooke over Alex Ovechkin? With a straight face?
Protect Cooke? No. Protect Ovechkin? They are not. Its pretty clear that the league laid down a pretty strong law to Ovechkin and McPhee and Ovechkin's play post suspension was significantly different. He didn't hit hard after that. He also stopped scoring goals. His energy was definately effected.

Its not my imagination. Both Boudreau and McPhee addressed the subject saying that Ovechkin was concerned about another suspension and pulled his play back. They were encouraging him, without success, to play his game.

So, the league has changed Ovechkin and not for the better.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2010, 07:53 AM
EYEuhFRAYtee

Anyone else slightly annoyed with that Vs. tandem from last night? It was like Steigy/Errey lite. Same guys from the Sens series, I had to turn the sound off a few times when they really started to heavily slurp Sid and co. They even managed a few shots on OV and the Caps.

EYEuhFRAYtee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2010, 07:55 AM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

This may not be the right thread to post this under, but in moving forward and what the Capitals needs are for next season consensus is a #2 line Center, improve the defense with some physical/shot blocking traditional style defenseman.

That being said, heard on the radio a caller made a good point that the team needs a few players who have already won the Stanley Cup/have the ring on their finger and thus know what it takes. One such player who was here and will be a free agent is Matt Cooke. That was a clean hit he had on Markov last night but how he played the rest of the game you could see he raises it for the playoffs and knows what it takes to win in the playoffs, something that was apparently lacking among some of the current Capitals.

BiPolar Caps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2010, 07:56 AM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IafrateWasGod View Post
Anyone else slightly annoyed with that Vs. tandem from last night? It was like Steigy/Errey lite. Same guys from the Sens series, I had to turn the sound off a few times when they really started to heavily slurp Sid and co. They even managed a few shots on OV and the Caps.
A few shots, are you kidding me it sounded like one of those Dean Martin roast's and the target were the Capitals.

BiPolar Caps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2010, 12:25 PM
Vladiator16*
R.I.P - Loko.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IafrateWasGod View Post
Yes, it was ridiculous... but we did not win when we should have and had to, so we are going to be ridiculed by A-holes that now quick to say: "We told you so...". Oh well, i hope it angers our boys more then it angers us, harness that anger!

Vladiator16* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2010, 12:51 PM
Capsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref9 View Post
This may not be the right thread to post this under, but in moving forward and what the Capitals needs are for next season consensus is a #2 line Center, improve the defense with some physical/shot blocking traditional style defenseman.

That being said, heard on the radio a caller made a good point that the team needs a few players who have already won the Stanley Cup/have the ring on their finger and thus know what it takes. One such player who was here and will be a free agent is Matt Cooke. That was a clean hit he had on Markov last night but how he played the rest of the game you could see he raises it for the playoffs and knows what it takes to win in the playoffs, something that was apparently lacking among some of the current Capitals.
Hmm, this same Matt Cooke didn't really do much for us against Philly. 0 points in 7 games, and we lost. Not like he was a young player or anything at the time. But my how he's so much more effective in the Pens lineup. People can talk about getting this player or that player all they want. Nothing will change until this team is coached better.

Capsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2010, 12:52 PM
Vladiator16*
R.I.P - Loko.

Quote:
Originally Posted by californiacapsfan View Post
I'm going to be sick. For the record though. Ovie throws that hit and he's out of the game and maybe the series. The league has him running scared while Pitt can do whatever they want.
I had a feeling they will neuter him with those more then questionable suspensions. He needs to get over it and start hitting the same way he WAS hitting pre Olympics. With his size, strength and speed people including him self will get hurt once in a wile, so be it! I rather see bad ass OV then "house broken" OV.
****, we will have to wait till next April to see if any of this sunk in...

Last edited by Vladiator16*: 05-01-2010 at 12:58 PM.
Old
05-01-2010, 01:11 PM
FiveAndGame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
Matt Cooke had 1 dirty play that he wasn't suspended for this year that he probably should have been. It has been talked about so much on these boards that I really don't want to get into it. Basically his hit on Savard perfectly fell into a loophole in the rules which caused them to be unable to suspend him. Instead, they made a new rule about it.

His hit on Markov was 100% clean. Textbook shoulder check. Markov got his foot stuck against the wall on his way down, causing the injury.
How about Malkin's brutal hit on Willie Mitchell, who is STILL out with a concussion and may not be able to play again.

PS. Oveckin plays a borderline game, but there are others too.

FiveAndGame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2010, 04:18 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
Protect Cooke? No. Protect Ovechkin? They are not. Its pretty clear that the league laid down a pretty strong law to Ovechkin and McPhee and Ovechkin's play post suspension was significantly different. He didn't hit hard after that. He also stopped scoring goals. His energy was definately effected.

Its not my imagination. Both Boudreau and McPhee addressed the subject saying that Ovechkin was concerned about another suspension and pulled his play back. They were encouraging him, without success, to play his game.

So, the league has changed Ovechkin and not for the better.
They aren't protecting Ovechkin anymore, but they absolutely were up until this year. The guy has deserved more suspensions than he has gotten.

If his play has gotten worse since the suspensions he has no one but himself to blame. For one, he deserved the suspensions. So what if he is doubting himself now or over-thinking it or whatever, you can't blame the league for giving him suspensions when he obviously deserves them. Secondly, he has made many amazing physical plays on the right side of the line: many more than he has made dirty plays. It is up to him to figure out how to play within the confines of the rules without sacrificing his energy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveAndGame View Post
How about Malkin's brutal hit on Willie Mitchell, who is STILL out with a concussion and may not be able to play again.

PS. Oveckin plays a borderline game, but there are others too.
Are we going to start a list of questionably dirty plays? Ovechkin would beat Crosby and Malkin combined.

Old
05-01-2010, 04:19 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Stop trolling. Be gone to you Pens board. No one wants you over here.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2010, 04:28 PM
NeilYoung

Seriously I'm sick of all these pens fans "coming in peace" and talking about our team like they know it better than us and generally just being morons. The only fans stopping by that I've appreciated so far this week would be sharks fans

NeilYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2010, 04:32 PM
pgreene

Quote:

you know, i'd resolved to not post anything for a while, stay away, etc. but this post brings me back.

damn you strung.

i'm still not commenting on/deconstructing the season. i am, in fact, pretending it never happened. when the flash and seminless caps take the ice next october with a blue line of volchenkov-green, regehr-carlson, schultz-green, i'll still be cheering for them.

pgreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2010, 05:46 PM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsGreat08AO View Post
Seriously I'm sick of all these pens fans "coming in peace" and talking about our team like they know it better than us and generally just being morons. The only fans stopping by that I've appreciated so far this week would be sharks fans
You know .....I'm not sick of them at all. I say let them enjoy this moment.

I recall a few years back Pens fans scoffing at the idea that Wash vs. Pitt was a rivalry. Now they are the first to take offense to anything the Caps achieve and any Caps win feels like a loss for their own team.

Their team earned them this moment and you guys have to sit and face the music..unless ofcourse you want to go out like Green/Semin/Flash!

Perhaps (hopefully mixed with probably) we will taste the same sweet victory over their team in the very near future. And you know we will be doing the same to them as they are to us at this moment! Don't lie!

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2010, 06:15 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Stop trolling. Be gone to you Pens board. No one wants you over here.
All I have done is respond to posts that were complaining about the Penguins. I didn't just start randomly trolling. My fault, I'm out.

PS: I never said I come in peace

Old
05-02-2010, 07:13 PM
Vladiator16*
R.I.P - Loko.

what a bleeping ****** bag ^^^

Old
05-03-2010, 08:20 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgreene View Post
you know, i'd resolved to not post anything for a while, stay away, etc. but this post brings me back.

damn you strung.

i'm still not commenting on/deconstructing the season. i am, in fact, pretending it never happened. when the flash and seminless caps take the ice next october with a blue line of volchenkov-green, regehr-carlson, schultz-green, i'll still be cheering for them.
Dude...that was the longest most depressing weekend ever. Waking up yesterday to the Pens/Habs just topped it off. Brutal.

So many thoughts about this team going forward...not even sure where to start.

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 08:25 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
Dude...that was the longest most depressing weekend ever. Waking up yesterday to the Pens/Habs just topped it off. Brutal.

So many thoughts about this team going forward...not even sure where to start.
Don't know about you but at least for a day I felt better as the Habs beat the Pens in the exact same fashion they won the 4 games against us.

At least it stymied the media tidal wave and relentless assault on the Caps while slurping the Pens. It made it that much sweeter that Crosby was frustrated.

Even this morning on HTM on XM they sorta alluded to "this is how the Caps must have felt" and compared Montreal to James "buster" Douglas.

I know it probably won't continue and the Pens will close out the Habs but the harder it is for them to do so the less the media will get on the Caps case afterwards.

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 08:26 AM
txpd

its called not carrying so much. they are not going to do what we suggest. we have to wait a full year to find out if they are any better. meantime they will either win less and suffer confidence issues from this playoffs(like Ov scoring 30 goals instead of 50) or they will win MORE than this year to a daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly who the hell cares?

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote