HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The fallout/aftermath/whatever

Old
04-28-2010, 11:22 PM
DaleHunter

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to DaleHunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by artilector View Post
But I just wanted to say, all year (and previous years) this Caps forum has been such a homey, informative, comfortable, great resource... and I want to thank the posters here, especially the regulars but also some informed fans who drop in occasionally -- for a non-DC resident this is pretty much the only place to feel connected to the team. I don't know any of you personally, but I know there are some real long-time true fans here. I've only been on the bandwagon since Ovechkin came aboard... I feel like utter crap (and so does my dad, and he's only seen maybe 8 Caps games this year, lol) -- I can only imagine what a true long-suffering fan is feeling like right now. I commiserate!
Couldn't agree more.

DaleHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 11:24 PM
Oldskool

I really think that the Caps as a team and as a fanbase took a major step back tonight. Rightly or not, they have added the dreaded "chokers" reputation that they'll have to shed which is just more shoulder weights going forward.

On the bright side... there'll be less bandwagon fans next year I guess?

God, it sucks to be a Washington sports fan

Oldskool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 11:24 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
I don't agree on the goaltender thing. It wasn't an issue in this series...aside from the two goals on two shots thing from Theo.

But yeah, some blame goes to Bruce...I just put more on Semin and Green.
Lord, so do I, but it's also on the lack of support for Green, which is still non-existent until they bring in help and finally give Alzner and Carlson a full season of time to grow in the league.

Semin, well he just needs to go and they need to invest that money in winner(s).

Because of the age of Alzner/Carlson, this was never the year. Yet the loss in Round One is no less a catastrophe, up 3-1.

I'm not convinced that Boudreau's system works, or that he learned anything at all this year. I also think he is safe, where they should sweat him a bit. Bah.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 11:25 PM
hfboardsuser

I'm an Oilers fan, but the Caps are my Eastern and playoff team; I'd love to see you win a Cup, absolutely love it. I've had a #8 jersey since his rookie year.

Having said that, please don't take this as trolling. These are the things I think need to change.

Management

McPhee made some excellent moves at the deadline, acquiring the type of depth teams need to survive the grind of the playoffs. The most successful team at the end of a season is often the one that fills the 3rd line with 2nd line players, 4th line with third liners. Vets like Doug Weight and Mark Recchi don't fit the mold of checkers, but they helped Carolina win the Cup because they were better than Edmonton's fourth liners- guys like Todd Harvey and Rem Murray, usual fourth line fodder.

However, like former Oilers GM Kevin Lowe, McPhee has a way of ignoring glaring holes while otherwise making good moves. Acquiring Chimera and Knuble was a great idea, but when they are your team's best RWs, you aren't going to win; ditto for Joe Corvo. He was a fine pick-up in a vacuum, but not when what the Capitals really needed was someone to watch Green's back.

McPhee does not seem to have the imagination to be a architect of a Cup-winner. An Oilers blogger said the following about his team, but it applies here:

"The Oilers need to look at their template and perhaps realize it was never built on a solid foundation, but rather luck, a few exceptional players and a fanbase with the loyalty of a child."

Replace 'Oilers' with 'Capitals' and you have a picture-perfect summary of Washington's ills. However, there's also...

Coaching

You've all heard this a lot, but Bruce Boudreau is just no an NHL head coach. He doesn't understand systems play, sacrifice or teaching. He's simply played to the strengths of his team- speed, creativity and skill- without challenging the majority of them to become better all-around players.

However, he can only coach what he's given, and besides McPhee, some blame rests with...

Scouting

The comment about luck in the previous quote also applies here. Alex Ovechkin was a no-brainer in 2004, and while the team did their homework when it came to Mike Green, the Caps are so far batting .000 when it comes to the deepest draft of the decade in 2005. 2006 saw them get back on track with Backstrom, Varly and Neuvirth, but again, all of them were top 35 picks. 2007 is a very similar story; solid but safe choice at #5 in Karl Alzner, but little else to show for the other nine picks. It's too early to objectively evaluate 2008 or 2009, but would anyone be surprised to see the same pattern?

Throughout all of this, I see one trend: an organizational-wide paralysis. Beyond merely just playing it safe, McPhee, Boudreau and the scouting staff are afraid to challenge themselves and their charges to change the way they think and are. Mentioning the success of the Penguins here this evening is in poor form, but not until Pittsburgh fired Therrien and entrusted their roster with an inexperienced coach that had a remarkably different vision did they win. The same needs to happen. At this point, it can't get any more disappointing.

hfboardsuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 11:25 PM
DaleHunter

Send a message via MSN to DaleHunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
I don't agree on the goaltender thing. It wasn't an issue in this series...aside from the two goals on two shots thing from Theo.

But yeah, some blame goes to Bruce...I just put more on Semin and Green.
Varly let in two softies in Game 6.

DaleHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 11:26 PM
Savynquick*

Didn't read all the posts, but I'd like to think I have a pretty unbiased opinion here:

You may gotten beat by a hot goaltender in a few games, but tonight that wasn't at all the case. Tonight just wasn't even close to the effort levels you're seeing from all the other teams in the playoffs. Virtually no hitting, lots of guys skating around the net instead of through a guy to get the puck. Guys visibly nervous when the puck is on their sticks. Bad decision making. And honestly I think it's because you have way too many soft European players. Now I know I sound like Don Cherry, I know. And you could point the Red Wings. But the Red Wings have the toughest bunch of Europeans out there in Franzen and Holmstrom. But Semin, Backstrom, Fleishman...they're just not built for the North American playoff game.

I am surprised that guys like Knuble and Walker weren't more present. I thought they'd be heroes tonight.

Savynquick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 11:27 PM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Send a message via MSN to WetHog
Man what a bummer. I guess the curse of John Kent Cooke extends to the Caps.

As for what should be done, I have no clue. I don't think anything to drastic needs to be done. But the "don't play the right way" talk before the playoffs was spot on. So something needs to be done to get this team to play the right way.

Mainly though I think the main problem with this team is maturity. The top 4 guys need to grow up.

WetHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 11:28 PM
MugCostanza

I may be to easy on Semin but I don't think he was as god awful as some think. I think he is another casualty of the Washington Capitals horrible team play. He isn't much different then the other guys. No plays, outworked, standard shots. I do think BB should be replaced and Flash traded. Resign Belanger and get a shut down defenseman and veteran who know playoffs and can talk sense into Green. I like Perrault also.

MugCostanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 11:30 PM
sunnydaycrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savynquick View Post
Didn't read all the posts, but I'd like to think I have a pretty unbiased opinion here:

You may gotten beat by a hot goaltender in a few games, but tonight that wasn't at all the case. Tonight just wasn't even close to the effort levels you're seeing from all the other teams in the playoffs. Virtually no hitting, lots of guys skating around the net instead of through a guy to get the puck. Guys visibly nervous when the puck is on their sticks. Bad decision making. And honestly I think it's because you have way too many soft European players. Now I know I sound like Don Cherry, I know. And you could point the Red Wings. But the Red Wings have the toughest bunch of Europeans out there in Franzen and Holmstrom. But Semin, Backstrom, Fleishman...they're just not built for the North American playoff game.

I am surprised that guys like Knuble and Walker weren't more present. I thought they'd be heroes tonight.
That`s a good point....The desperation from the Sharks, Wings, even the Habs when fighting for the puck was far above any of the Caps.

sunnydaycrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 11:32 PM
Capitlols

The series was lost in Game 5

Capitlols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 11:32 PM
DarkReign

This will be my first and last post in this thread, as I am sure I am going to get berated...

Your team needs to play defense, period. No commitment from your top players to the other zone. You dont think Zetterberg/Datsyuk/Richards/Crosby/Sedins/Toews help their all-star defensemen be all stars?

Backstrom is the only top player who backchecks. You have a defensemen who doesnt backcheck. Greatest coach in the world or not, defense people. Defense.

DarkReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 11:33 PM
Oldskool

I respectfully disagree. I believe that they played a magnificent first period, sans the Green idiotic penalty that resulted in the PP goal. I'm surprised that you didn't see any hitting, because Locker said that they were in the double digits in the "hits" stat at the 10 minutes mark (I think).

Key point of the game is the Semin deflection that hit the post. Had that been 1 inch down, the game would be different. The Habs would not... could not.. just play in their shell around Halak. Everyone and their mothers called it correct in that the team with the first goal would win the game.

I agree with Semin and Flash not being suited for the playoffs, but disagree on Backstrom. He at least showed up in the earlier games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savynquick View Post

Old
04-28-2010, 11:36 PM
sunnydaycrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkReign View Post
This will be my first and last post in this thread, as I am sure I am going to get berated...

Your team needs to play defense, period. No commitment from your top players to the other zone. You dont think Zetterberg/Datsyuk/Richards/Crosby/Sedins/Toews help their all-star defensemen be all stars?

Backstrom is the only top player who backchecks. You have a defensemen who doesnt backcheck. Greatest coach in the world or not, defense people. Defense.

No need to berate you....you`re right....... spot on

Old
04-28-2010, 11:39 PM
Savynquick*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldskool View Post
I respectfully disagree. I believe that they played a magnificent first period, sans the Green idiotic penalty that resulted in the PP goal. I'm surprised that you didn't see any hitting, because Locker said that they were in the double digits in the "hits" stat at the 10 minutes mark (I think).

Key point of the game is the Semin deflection that hit the post. Had that been 1 inch down, the game would be different. The Habs would not... could not.. just play in their shell around Halak. Everyone and their mothers called it correct in that the team with the first goal would win the game.

I agree with Semin and Flash not being suited for the playoffs, but disagree on Backstrom. He at least showed up in the earlier games.
Ya but it's game 7! It's THE biggest game of the year, and I hardly saw any of the caps truly sell out. Who was it that had to dive to keep that puck out of the net? Well he barely skated to catch the puck in the first place, which made that dive necessary in the first place. You need to be on that puck FAST, you hardly have time to waste. And the caps seemed to never dump and chase properly. All those times they turned the puck over at the blue line. If instead they'd dumped and punished the much smaller habs...but that didn't seem to be in Bruce's plan at all.

I'm not saying you have a bad team, because you don't. But Montreal wanted this more.

Savynquick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 11:39 PM
airlouche

Fire Boudreau at first!

airlouche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 11:40 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnydaycrash View Post
According to Corey at CSN on Twitter, OV tried to keep the Caps to stay for the stick salute and only 9 players stayed...wow....anyone know the 9?
Just got back from the game. I don't recall all of them, but besides Ovie I remember Brooks Laich and Karl Alzner out there saluting the crowd as well as I believe Varly. The first player off the ice after the handshakes was Shoene Morrison and he went immediately to the locker room.

BiPolar Caps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 11:42 PM
Icetime

I say replacing BB is a no brainer. He just has to go. Has to.

Do I think he will get the axe? Nope.

He is just so obviously outclassed on the NHL coaching level.

1) He is not an X's and O's guy.
2) He is not a disciplinarian.

That is a hideous combination for a young team.

Icetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 11:43 PM
DarkReign

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnydaycrash View Post
No need to berate you....you`re right....... spot on
Well thanks man, I am breaking my rule for this post.

Losing a game 7 ****ing sucks and I am not trying to pile on. I'll let you all grieve, Ive been there, it was just my opinion.

DarkReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 11:46 PM
sunnydaycrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref9 View Post
Just got back from the game. I don't recall all of them, but besides Ovie I remember Brooks Laich and Karl Alzner out there saluting the crowd as well as I believe Varly. The first player off the ice after the handshakes was Shoene Morrison and he went immediately to the locker room.
Well Mo probably knows he`s done here anyway, so adios....good for Alzner sticking around, he better get used to it...he`ll be here next year full time.

Old
04-28-2010, 11:47 PM
Capsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bugg View Post
I'm an Oilers fan, but the Caps are my Eastern and playoff team; I'd love to see you win a Cup, absolutely love it. I've had a #8 jersey since his rookie year.

Having said that, please don't take this as trolling. These are the things I think need to change.

Management

McPhee made some excellent moves at the deadline, acquiring the type of depth teams need to survive the grind of the playoffs. The most successful team at the end of a season is often the one that fills the 3rd line with 2nd line players, 4th line with third liners. Vets like Doug Weight and Mark Recchi don't fit the mold of checkers, but they helped Carolina win the Cup because they were better than Edmonton's fourth liners- guys like Todd Harvey and Rem Murray, usual fourth line fodder.

However, like former Oilers GM Kevin Lowe, McPhee has a way of ignoring glaring holes while otherwise making good moves. Acquiring Chimera and Knuble was a great idea, but when they are your team's best RWs, you aren't going to win; ditto for Joe Corvo. He was a fine pick-up in a vacuum, but not when what the Capitals really needed was someone to watch Green's back.

McPhee does not seem to have the imagination to be a architect of a Cup-winner. An Oilers blogger said the following about his team, but it applies here:

"The Oilers need to look at their template and perhaps realize it was never built on a solid foundation, but rather luck, a few exceptional players and a fanbase with the loyalty of a child."

Replace 'Oilers' with 'Capitals' and you have a picture-perfect summary of Washington's ills. However, there's also...

Coaching

You've all heard this a lot, but Bruce Boudreau is just no an NHL head coach. He doesn't understand systems play, sacrifice or teaching. He's simply played to the strengths of his team- speed, creativity and skill- without challenging the majority of them to become better all-around players.

However, he can only coach what he's given, and besides McPhee, some blame rests with...

Scouting

The comment about luck in the previous quote also applies here. Alex Ovechkin was a no-brainer in 2004, and while the team did their homework when it came to Mike Green, the Caps are so far batting .000 when it comes to the deepest draft of the decade in 2005. 2006 saw them get back on track with Backstrom, Varly and Neuvirth, but again, all of them were top 35 picks. 2007 is a very similar story; solid but safe choice at #5 in Karl Alzner, but little else to show for the other nine picks. It's too early to objectively evaluate 2008 or 2009, but would anyone be surprised to see the same pattern?

Throughout all of this, I see one trend: an organizational-wide paralysis. Beyond merely just playing it safe, McPhee, Boudreau and the scouting staff are afraid to challenge themselves and their charges to change the way they think and are. Mentioning the success of the Penguins here this evening is in poor form, but not until Pittsburgh fired Therrien and entrusted their roster with an inexperienced coach that had a remarkably different vision did they win. The same needs to happen. At this point, it can't get any more disappointing.
I think it is pretty obvious Carlson will be a good if not great one.

Capsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 11:47 PM
Oldskool

Have there been coaches who led their team to the best records and be fired after the season? I know that the leash of a NHL coach is short.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icetime View Post

Old
04-28-2010, 11:48 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1300

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 11:49 PM
sk84fun_dc

Bah. Limited access right now. As to the stick salute. This is not a complete list but based on a picture the last 8 guys off the ice were Alzner, Walker, Fehr, Theodore, Laich, Ovechkin, Backstrom, and Varlamov.

More later or tomorrow. After all there is plenty of time for discussion. Curious if Alzner and Carlson are given a day to get things together and rest b4 heading to Hershey or if they play tomorrow night in Albany. With a 3 to O series lead I vote for their joining the Bears for the weekend.

sk84fun_dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 11:50 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icetime View Post

A coach that is obviously outclassed on the NHL coaching level doesn't coach a team to a President's Trophy.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 11:51 PM
CanmoreMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appreci8 View Post
The series was lost in Game 5
This series wasn't lost on the scoreboard. It was lost in the presser BB had after.

Can someone say "panic"?

CanmoreMike is offline   Reply With Quote