HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The fallout/aftermath/whatever

Old
04-28-2010, 11:51 PM
Crede777
Deputized

vCash: 500
Hey, Jackets fan here and I wanted to thank the Caps for a very entertaining game tonight. You guys have a very, very good nucleus of players and so shouldn't be too bummed about results from this year. You guys were the President's trophy winners for a reason (curse? Maybe...).

I don't want this to come over as hostile, but I think Umberger was right in his comments he made earlier this month about Washington needing more grit/defense. Hopefully Carlson helps out with that. Also wanted to apologize for Jason "Cement Hands" Chimera, I didn't see if that shot was blocked or not but, well, he's special.

Anyways, I have to pick a new team in the East to root for. *sigh* See you guys next year and hopefully you guys continue to be one of the most dynamic, entertaining teams in the league.

Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 11:52 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1300
thanks sk8, I knew someone grabbed a picture and have been wondering who stayed, a classy move. Even though now in hindsight, that list is almost predictable.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 11:52 PM
MugCostanza

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnydaycrash View Post
Well Mo probably knows he`s done here anyway, so adios....good for Alzner sticking around, he better get used to it...he`ll be here next year full time.
Not if BB has anything to do with it

MugCostanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 11:54 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savynquick View Post
Ya but it's game 7! It's THE biggest game of the year, and I hardly saw any of the caps truly sell out. Who was it that had to dive to keep that puck out of the net? Well he barely skated to catch the puck in the first place, which made that dive necessary in the first place. You need to be on that puck FAST, you hardly have time to waste. And the caps seemed to never dump and chase properly. All those times they turned the puck over at the blue line. If instead they'd dumped and punished the much smaller habs...but that didn't seem to be in Bruce's plan at all.

I'm not saying you have a bad team, because you don't. But Montreal wanted this more.
I'm going to have to agree with the central premise that the Caps lacked fire at appropriate times, and that you saw Montreal players making better decisions, hustling, generally focused and aware of the moment far more in the latter three games of this series than were the Caps.

From 3-1, the Canadiens dictated this series. They play the style of game that these teams played for three games, and there is no surer way of determining who has the advantage across the board than when one team makes the other play its core game.

A distressing number of Capitals were guilty of this. Hopefully it was just poor preparation, because otherwise it's in the ethos of individual players up and down the roster.

I also believe Boudreau was way late to identify and punish and adjust when players were not focused, waiting too long for the 'talent' to break out before going to his grinders.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 11:55 PM
sk84fun_dc

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
thanks sk8, I knew someone grabbed a picture. Even though now in hindsight, that list is almost predictable.
My camera and while I stuck around I was looking elsewhere when the mini salute happened so I only caught the end. One or two could have been in front of Walker.

sk84fun_dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
The Viking Fury

Not that I'm some cheerleader or whatever, but what, if anything, changes if the Habs win a Cup backstopped by Halak?

The Viking Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Okay, silver lining time. Went to the game and got to watch Karl Alzner, he looked like the most composed of all our defenseman tonight and that includes when he had the puck on his stick. Carlson had some minor hiccups but he recovered nicely and nailed Cammaleri good on one. That pairing of Alzner and Carlson makes me smile when I look to next season. Same holds true for Varly and his play, I think we are going to be fine next year with him manning the nets.

Disappointed of course at the outcome of the game/series and that this is how Theo's career ends with the Caps. On the other hand I'm glad that this was the last game that I'll see Joe Corvo in a Capitals jersey, he for the most part was terrible for the Caps. Really don't see a need for any of the UFAs to be resigned. Rather see the likes of Perreault and a couple of other Bears join the Caps next season. Flash needs to go but Semin is just a more talented version of Flash, he can be easily knocked off the puck, but that being said I wouldn't mind Semin remaining with the team for next season, but Flash has to go.

Schultz really should not be a top 4 defenseman. Caps need to sign via FA a top level defensive minded defenseman to pair with Green for next season. Alzner/Carlson should make up the other pair and Schultz/Poti the third pair.

One other silver lining tidbit, I believe this means that we didn't give up our 7th round draft choice to Columbus after all, as Juice never did suit up for us.

Last edited by BiPolar Caps: 04-29-2010 at 12:08 AM.
BiPolar Caps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
sunnydaycrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by MugCostanza View Post
Not if BB has anything to do with it
Good point

2010-2011

Alzner = Hershey
Flash= 2nd line Center making 2.5 million ( 3 years)
Sloan = 6th D
Green = 30 min a game

sunnydaycrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 11:57 PM
Icetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
A coach that is obviously outclassed on the NHL coaching level doesn't coach a team to a President's Trophy.

A Donkey could have coached a team with this much pure talent to the President's Trophy.

Icetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 11:59 PM
CanmoreMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkReign View Post
This will be my first and last post in this thread, as I am sure I am going to get berated...

Your team needs to play defense, period. No commitment from your top players to the other zone. You dont think Zetterberg/Datsyuk/Richards/Crosby/Sedins/Toews help their all-star defensemen be all stars?

Backstrom is the only top player who backchecks. You have a defensemen who doesnt backcheck. Greatest coach in the world or not, defense people. Defense.
You are right.

Teams need to play some defense to change up the tempo when lesser teams like the Avalanche and the Habs play their "rope-a-dope" game in a seven game series.

Had the Caps sat back, played a slower paced game and late 2nd or early 3rd they kicked it up I think they would've found Montreal on their heals.

I don't want to seem like a troll here (or whatever it's called) but did anyone else feel like Ovie gave up on a lot of plays the last few games?

CanmoreMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 11:59 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icetime View Post
A Donkey could have coached a team with this much pure talent to the President's Trophy.
Nope.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2010, 12:00 AM
KaylaJ
Tungsten!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref9 View Post
Just got back from the game. I don't recall all of them, but besides Ovie I remember Brooks Laich and Karl Alzner out there saluting the crowd as well as I believe Varly. The first player off the ice after the handshakes was Shoene Morrison and he went immediately to the locker room.
going back on VS' feed its:

B Morrison
Scott Walker
Alzner
Fehr
Theodore
Ovechkin
Backstrom (who broke his stick on the bench)
and finally
Laich and Varly who gave their sticks to fans

KaylaJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Capitlols

Well at least I can shave off my beard

Capitlols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Alaix
I believe.

Biggest problems were without a doubt PK, Halak and frustration

Alaix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2010, 12:02 AM
Oldskool

PK Subban? I didn't think he was THAT impressive tonight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaix View Post

Oldskool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2010, 12:04 AM
Crede777
Deputized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaix View Post
Was it just me or did the Caps give up trying to shoot around the defenders/Halak and just started trying to shoot it THROUGH them? I mean, there were a couple of good point-blankers in the mid-3rd period.

If you can't beat them, shoot harder.

Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2010, 12:04 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appreci8 View Post
Well at least I can shave off my beard
Just did...feels great.

strungout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2010, 12:05 AM
Nakawick

I come in peace, ignore my avatar.

The main reasons the series was lost was the 1-32/33 PP that was ranked #1 in the regular season. You ran into a goalie playing out of his mind (we well have to try and figure him out) and the habs D was committed to blocking shots and limiting the top line.

Don't be too hard on the younger players, especially Varly. He is still a kid and will only get better. Varly is a keeper. Semin and Green were no shows but sometimes that happens with players early in their careers. Hossa and Datsyuk struggled in the playoffs early in their careers as well and now they are playing well.

I know the loss sucks and I was looking forward to another epic series between the Pens/Caps, but the caps players will gain experience from the loss. I think overall team structure could be better and that a new coach may help fix that and maybe teach Green how to play defense. A true defense first D man would be a good pick up in the off season. You guys will be back.

Nakawick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2010, 12:06 AM
AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar

Send a message via AIM to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar Send a message via MSN to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar
Bruce has been outcoached every playoff series, its not something you can look past anymore.

Actually these coaches arent even great coaches that are beating him either.

I'm on board for a change.

If you dont line match in the NHL you don't belong.

AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2010, 12:07 AM
The Viking Fury

Looks like some kind of dig on green is the new meme for ending any post at the moment.

... and tell mike green he needs to play defense!

The Viking Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2010, 12:09 AM
WingmanCD

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/cap...not-at-pr.html

Last practice of the year, they all took the day off. Gotta be well rested. Who needs to work on that stinking power play anyway.

Not really a good captain move by Ovi, IMO.

WingmanCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2010, 12:10 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Semin to the Rangers for Callahan+

Semin to Dallas for Robidas.

Flash to someone for something.

I'd be happy with any of those.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
bottleCAPS

Send a message via AIM to bottleCAPS Send a message via MSN to bottleCAPS Send a message via Yahoo to bottleCAPS
Semin has proved himself extremely expendable this playoffs. you know a guy is out of it when he's not even taking offensive zone penalties anymore.

if he and Flash were on the outs I wouldn't shed a tear, i think this team needs an actual identity, not just a bunch of talented players who try to manufacture points by themselves.

lock up Backstrom as soon as you can and then try to keep Fehr away from an offer sheet.

that's a start.

bottleCAPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
habfaninvictoria

Habs fan here, I come in peace.

First of all you've got the most talented team in the NHL by a long shot. There is not one team in the NHL that wouldn't want almost everyone in your lineup. The Caps are the most dangerous team, and most exciting team to watch bar none. You have 3 stars on this team that our fanbase have been dreaming of for years. If not for Halak the series would not have been close. The Caps will challenge for, and win a cup sooner than later.

Your team will have to make hard decisions. BB didn't seem to have the ability to inspire the team or solve the PP. With as much talent as you have he should have been able to come up with something.

Thanks for an exciting series.

habfaninvictoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2010, 12:13 AM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Semin to the Rangers for Callahan+

Semin to Dallas for Robidas.

Flash to someone for something.

I'd be happy with any of those.
If we could get a second round in the upcoming draft for Flash I'd be happy. Some say that this may be the deepest draft since 2003. Like to reclaim a pick in the 2nd that we lost when we picked up Belanger.

BiPolar Caps is offline   Reply With Quote