HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The fallout/aftermath/whatever

Old
04-28-2010, 11:15 PM
Easter Epic

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Easter Epic
I don't think there has to be wholesale changes, just need to have more fire, and desire. The core of the team averages a median age of 25 I believe, so I'd say this squad has a few more shots.

Easter Epic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
LangwaysMullet

Just got home from the game, New York Ave traffic is a pain if you dont get out early!!

For the life of me I can not justify why our goal early in the third was waved off. We had a pretty decent view of the play considering our seats were damn near right over it and I didnt see a skate deflection or crease violation. That's just completely unwarranted and a piss poor reflection on the NHL's officiating corps. And the cross checking call in the first that led to the 4 on 3 pp habs goal was a joke. 99% acting, 1% contact. What a shame.

Other than that, Habs fans can go suck it.. no need to come here in peace to say "good game" or whatever.. just gtfo. At least we dont boo the canadian national anthem when you're in our home. Sour grapes? Damn right.

LangwaysMullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Not that it should surprise anyone here, but the highest scoring forward after the first line....

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Preach

barring a Sather brainfart, why would anyone want to give up good value for someone like Semin??

1 dimensional player, hasn't shown up in the playoffs, enigma, and the Russia/KHL factor... would scare a lot of teams away in a heartbeat.

From an outsider's perspective, he's a little too risky to be giving up anything of decent value.

Preach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 11:16 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preach View Post
barring a Sather brainfart, why would anyone want to give up good value for someone like Semin??

1 dimensional player, hasn't shown up in the playoffs, enigma, and the Russia/KHL factor... would scare a lot of teams away in a heartbeat.

From an outsider's perspective, he's a little too risky to be giving up anything of decent value.
He has shown up in the playoffs previously. 22 points in 21 games prior to this series.

Old
MugCostanza

I don't think people should start picking on individual players for losing this series. The team as a whole played badly, not just Semin, not just Green. No cycling, hitting, crashing the net, playmaking, just making it easy for Habs defense and goalie to stifle us. Blame BB for not changing the game plan and when it was clearly failing.

MugCostanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Oldskool

On the replay I saw Knuble's skate slightly bumping into Halak at the edge of the paint. It's tough but I think it was the right call.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LangwaysMullet View Post
Just got home from the game, New York Ave traffic is a pain if you dont get out early!!

For the life of me I can not justify why our goal early in the third was waved off. We had a pretty decent view of the play considering our seats were damn near right over it and I didnt see a skate deflection or crease violation. That's just completely unwarranted and a piss poor reflection on the NHL's officiating corps. And the cross checking call in the first that led to the 4 on 3 pp habs goal was a joke. 99% acting, 1% contact. What a shame.

Other than that, Habs fans can go suck it.. no need to come here in peace to say "good game" or whatever.. just gtfo. At least we dont boo the canadian national anthem when you're in our home. Sour grapes? Damn right.

Oldskool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Donkeyz

I love the Capitals and wish them cups in the next few years ( in my pool, I had them winning the cup this year, Ovie had the Conn Smythe).

I wish my favorite hockey club had the Caps' talent and played as well.

People can laugh all they want: there's not a lot of teams that could have beat Halak (and yes, Caps screened him, bumped him, etc.) in the last 3 games and it's ridiculous to claim that the Caps showed no heart or didn't ''want the win enough''.

Anything can happen in the SC series, any team can lose in the 1st round; Caps are not chokers.

A Hab fan.

Donkeyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 11:18 PM
Dgill

vCash: 50
Quote:

Knuble's skate/leg blocked Halak's access to fully extend his leg while in the crease, that is why the goal was called off.

Dgill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 11:18 PM
CapsIntensity68

-In response to the question of who stayed out for the stick salute, I only noticed Ovy, Backs and Varly. There were probably about 6 or 7 others, couldn't see numbers from the 400's.

-In response to the question of why people were clapping after the game, I agree. Great regular season, cool. President's Trophy, cool. Getting bounced in the first round the way they did after all this team talked about all year was getting to the playoffs, YOU GUYS FAILED. I boo'ed but not many people did, I was told it's good sportsmanship to clap by someone who was walking out with his hands in his pockets. I don't give a crap if the team feels awful about it, YOU GUYS FAILED and I'm going to let you hear . . . because I'm there to scream just as loud when you do something awesome.

-This isn't necessarily on here, more on the radio shows, but people blaming 40 for any of are out of their minds. Who cares what his SV% was, he made alot of timely saves (Games 3 and 4 ring a bell?) and did what he had to do to keep them in it and give the team a chance. You can't ask for much more than that. When your goalie gives up 2 goals and you are the Capitals offense and you lose, that's not the goalies fault. I'm very excited to have Varly in net full time next year as the starter.

-Lots of blame for 28, can't argue it because he didn't produce compared to what was expected, but I don't think it's totally fair. Dude was forced to play with TOMAS F'ING FLEISCHMAN and Brooks Laich (who went into a heck of a shell himself). He had to deal with line juggling more than anyone else on the team. Semin had a lot of high % chances that he just got stoned on. One timer in the slot early in game 6 stands out, great pass by 19, great shot by Semin, Halak makes a great save. If I had to play with Flash I'd probably try to create a lot of stuff on my own as well.

-Yeah Green sucked it up, but he's not going anywhere, I'd be astounded if he gets traded. Don't really know what to say about him, 2 years in a row he goes MIA in the playoffs and this year is a terrible liability. I don't really have any ideas here. Yes, we all know Dmen take a long time to develop an all around game (to whatever extent they might have an all-around game), unfortunately Caps don't have time on their side in a salary cap world and 70 point regular seasons are hard to keep the ego in check enough to sign a reasonable contract extension no matter how much you suck in the playoffs.

-I pray to God that George doesn't use what little cap room we are going to have to resign Fleischman. HE IS A PATHETIC EXCUSE FOR A HOCKEY PLAYER. This was against one of the least physical playoff teams in the the East, lord have mercy if Flash had to go up against the Pittsburgh, Boston or Philly D. What a joke.

-Eric Fehr is a baller, he showed up when it counted, really hope they can keep him in the fold with a decent deal, 4-5 year deal would be nice.

-Alot of this falls on the coaching staff. My honest opinion is that BB isn't the man to take them all the way. Call it knee jerk, it really isn't. He won't adjust, he plays favorites, he doesn't motivate and instill discipline in his players. It makes zero sense there are these kind of questions about a coach who leads a team to a President's Trophy, but I don't think Bruce wins a cup, here or anywhere else. I don't know enough about what Woods and Evason's responsibilities are and what aspects of coaching they excel at, but I see no reason to keep either. MAYBE 1 of the 2 is let go, but honestly I wish the whole coaching staff was given the axe. Not happening though, so I'll let that dream go.

-Backstrom diving to save the empty netter is everything I love about that guy in one play. He's my favorite Capital and I hope he is here for many years to come.

-I don't like the Knuble washout one bit, from 404 it sure didn't look he made much of an impact on Halak's ability to play the puck, I will say that I have not seen a replay though. Even though there was a lot of time left that was the nail in the coffin. You just know the powers that be are against you when that happens.

-Incredibly disappointing end for a team that I've had a huge emotional investment in since about 4th grade (I'm 22 now). Even though Ovy didn't have a best year this team accomplished more than they ever had before in a regular season and treated me to a lot of awesome games. I thought they had a chance to go all the way.

-What hurts me more than anything else is that I can't watch the Caps play a meaningful game for another 350 days. This is the time of the year all of us waited so anxiously for with incredibly high hopes. Sucks that it's over on this note.

Last edited by CapsIntensity68: 04-28-2010 at 11:27 PM.
CapsIntensity68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 11:19 PM
Jaffray15

Send a message via AIM to Jaffray15 Send a message via MSN to Jaffray15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ice8eight View Post
Caps made it too easy for Halak, not much traffic in front of him, its like who ever gets the puck shoots it directly. No puck possession, Ovechkin always shoots and never uses his teammates to make a play. Horrible defense corps.
Agreed 100%

I think coaching is mostly to blame for this as Boudreau never got his team to adjust the entire series.

Jaffray15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 11:20 PM
wingscapsfan

agree completely with your post! Halak is a good goalie, but he was not that good. I mean we had players shooting from the blue line, and even when we got shots from in front of the net they were low. Would it kill to raise the ****ing puck? I would say lose Flash, Corvo, Schultz, Walker, Belanger in the offseason. Resign Backie and maybe Fehr for a cheap contract. And please pick up shot-blocking, physical defensemen such as Seidenberg, Volchenkov and Hamuis (2 of them would be ideal). Screw the goals, I would love to see this team play a more disciplined, structured 2-1 or 3-2 game then a 6-5 win.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
The goaltending thing is a ******** excuse. He made unscreened pad saves. Any NHL goalie can do that. We did not run into a hot goaltender, we have a lazy team.

I'm on the record as saying the team has underachieved in the postseason the past 2 years -maybe that's debatable but I don't think it is. By my count that makes 3 years in a row now where we've fallen short.

I think the team needs a serious shock to the system and that shock should come in the form of both Semin and Fleischmann being shipped out.

The key acquisitions I would target are a marquee defensive center and a dman who can skate and play the position. That addresses the PK and balances the team.

wingscapsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 11:20 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Not that it should surprise anyone here, but the highest scoring forward after the first line....

Good job Fehrsie.

I'm all for giving him Knuble's spot on the top line next season and let Knuble play with the revamped second line minus Semin.

Ovie - Backstrom - Fehr
Laich - ??? - Knuble
Chimera - ??? - A Gordon
??? - Steckel - Bradley

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 11:25 PM
LangwaysMullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldskool View Post
On the replay I saw Knuble's skate slightly bumping into Halak at the edge of the paint. It's tough but I think it was the right call.
mighty convenient time to start calling crease violations.. what a joke

Old
04-28-2010, 11:25 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
He has shown up in the playoffs previously. 22 points in 21 games prior to this series.
His 1st two series he was great...he's been a non-factor ever since.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 11:26 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:

I was at the opposite end of the ice from the goal the Caps were attacking in the third period. At this writing I still don't know why the goal was called off and everyone around us were just as puzzled. The replays at the VC from a number of angles didn't enlighten or provide an aha moment. Agree on the call on Green as well during the first period. Thought it was pretty bad to make such a marginal call after Brooks Laich was literally grabbed and thrown to the ice while he's close to a free puck in front of the Crabs goal. As a result of that episode we got the dual 2 minute roughing charges and no call for the blatant hold on Laich. Then when the Crabs goal was waved off, it was right below us, I couldn't believe that they ruled goalie interference but no penalty. It may have been Lapierre who did the interfering, not totally sure, but from my angle he cross checked Varly back into the goal net, but no penalty huh.

BiPolar Caps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 11:26 PM
sunnydaycrash

Quote:

Fehr played his rear off....but thankfully Flash got an average of 4-5 min more per game than him...isn`t that fab???

sunnydaycrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 11:27 PM
x96mnn

I would not be surprised if you see Semin and Green moved out...more of a salary dump with a good set of picks and prospects or a top young defensemen or goalie.

I really think you will see the caps put a push on and get Kovalchuk and add a top 4 defenseman either via trade or UFA. AND do not be shocked if they make a bid for Tomas Plekanec's if Montreal is crazy enough to let it go that far.

Then not with much serious thought they put an offer sheet in front of Carey Price for 2.5 to 3 for 2 years. Yes over payment right now but I still think their is a lot of talent in this goalie and a move would be best for him.

x96mnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 11:29 PM
Capitlols

Washington receives: D Ryan Suter
Nashville receives: D/W/C Mike Green

Capitlols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 11:30 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by x96mnn View Post
I would not be surprised if you see Semin and Green moved out...more of a salary dump with a good set of picks and prospects or a top young defensemen or goalie.

I really think you will see the caps put a push on and get Kovalchuk and add a top 4 defenseman either via trade or UFA. AND do not be shocked if they make a bid for Tomas Plekanec's if Montreal is crazy enough to let it go that far.

Then not with much serious thought they put an offer sheet in front of Carey Price for 2.5 to 3 for 2 years. Yes over payment right now but I still think their is a lot of talent in this goalie and a move would be best for him.

The only thing that's a remote possibility is the Turtleneck signing. The rest is just loony.

Old
04-28-2010, 11:30 PM
LangwaysMullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref9 View Post
Thought it was pretty bad to make such a marginal call after Brooks Laich was literally grabbed and thrown to the ice while he's close to a free puck in front of the Crabs goal. As a result of that episode we got the dual 2 minute roughing charges and no call for the blatant hold on Laich.
+1 we had our pp chances tonight but inconsistency with the calls is what it is... its disgusting and a damn shame.

Quote:
Then when the Crabs goal was waved off, it was right below us, I couldn't believe that they ruled goalie interference but no penalty. It may have been Lapierre who did the interfering, not totally sure, but from my angle he cross checked Varly back into the goal net, but no penalty huh.
again, see above.. we have our issues and have had our issues in this series but the nhl needs to take a long look at some of these geezers on the ice making calls.. and being nearly a geezer myself i can say that

Old
04-28-2010, 11:31 PM
bottleCAPS

Send a message via AIM to bottleCAPS Send a message via MSN to bottleCAPS Send a message via Yahoo to bottleCAPS
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnydaycrash View Post
Fehr played his rear off....but thankfully Flash got an average of 4-5 min more per game than him...isn`t that fab???
i'm not sure how i feel about BB's job security right now, but if he does go down in a fiery blaze, he'll have his "boys" to thank.

bottleCAPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 11:31 PM
Oldskool

Err... no thanks on Price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by x96mnn View Post

Oldskool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 11:33 PM
OVrocks

We have 2 players worth a damn in the post season Ov and Backstrom

OVrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 11:33 PM
sunnydaycrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsIntensity68 View Post
-In response to the question of who stayed out for the stick salute, I only noticed Ovy, Backs and Varly. There were probably about 6 or 7 others, couldn't see numbers from the 400's.
thanks man....not surprising it was OV, Backs, Varly , also heard Alzner and Brooks....the rest of em should of gone and hide ( aside from Knuble and Fehr, and Belanger for coming back after that injury)

sunnydaycrash is offline   Reply With Quote