HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2nd Round Pick

Closed Thread

Old
05-01-2004, 03:12 PM
pittengineer

vCash: 500
2nd Round Pick

It seems like the pens will select Malkin with #2 overall pick. But what about our 2nd round pick, which is essentially a late 1st rounder? What do you think about taking a risk on high school phenom Blake Wheeler? He might be a more long term project, but he is already committed to play at Minnesota. He is already 6'4 and almost 200lbs. Scored 100 points in his senior season of high school. I think he would be worth our 2nd rounder to take a risk on him, if he is still there with our pick. I would even consider moving up a few spots and taking him.

Old
05-01-2004, 03:28 PM
WVP

I'd love to take him, we need a high impact scorer, and I wouldn't mind a risky pick with high upside at this point of the rebuilding stage. it could pay off big time in 2-4 years.

I'm also intrigued by Lukas Kaspar, but I don't see him dropping to us.

Last edited by WVP: 05-01-2004 at 03:29 PM. Reason: info
Old
05-01-2004, 03:33 PM
Evilo

Don't forget we'll have Vancouver's 2nd as well.

Old
05-01-2004, 03:38 PM
pittengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVpens
I'd love to take him, we need a high impact scorer, and I wouldn't mind a risky pick with high upside at this point of the rebuilding stage. it could pay off big time in 2-4 years.

I'm also intrigued by Lukas Kaspar, but I don't see him dropping to us.
As much as I think he is very risky pick, I think about is overall athletic ability. This is a kid who caught something like 13 passes for 150 yards in the state high school football championship as a junior. You rarely see a kid with overall athletic ability complately fail. Most hockey players a strictly that, hockey players. This is one reason why I think he is not a risky as his age and only playing in high school dictates. I think he is worth the big risk, as his potential could eventually push him to a spot in top of the first round if he were another year older. He could be a big steal.

Kaspar would be a steal here also. That being said, I see him going somewhere in the #20-#26 range.

Old
05-01-2004, 03:40 PM
craig1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilo
Don't forget we'll have Vancouver's 2nd as well.

Yes. It's towards the end of the round, but at least it will be before the majority of compensatory picks in that round.

Old
05-01-2004, 03:44 PM
pittengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig1
Yes. It's towards the end of the round, but at least it will be before the majority of compensatory picks in that round.

Maybe Johannes Salmonsson falls to our late 2nd pick due to his injury and having to have surgery. Seems to be working so far with when we pick Fernholm a couple years back. That would be a killer first two rounds for the pens.

1) Malkin
2a) Wheeler
2b) Salmonsson

Old
05-01-2004, 03:45 PM
WVP

I agree: risk or not, the guy could be special and we need some scorers.

The draft appears to thin out after the top 15, and the rest is hit or miss (like every year). Might as well spend one or two of our four in the 2nd and 3rd going for something big, as we got 3rd liners coming out our ears in WBS and juniors.

Old
05-01-2004, 04:03 PM
Mr. T

Here's a couple of articles on him I posted in another thread.

link
link
link

The third one's a picture, but you can he how big he is already. I think he'd a great 2nd pick, although there's a chance he might slip into the 1st round with all the attention he received at the end of the season.

Old
05-01-2004, 04:07 PM
pittengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. T
Here's a couple of articles on him I posted in another thread.

link
link
link

The third one's a picture, but you can he how big he is already. I think he'd a great 2nd pick, although there's a chance he might slip into the 1st round with all the attention he received at the end of the season.
I agree. You got to love his size already. If he is still there come the 27 pick, I would strongly consider moving up if the pens staff thought the team in front were interested in him.

Old
05-01-2004, 04:46 PM
pittengineer

I was wrong about something. Wheeler will be a senior THIS YEAR. I'm guessing he is close in age to Malkin. 6'4, 200lbs, 100 points (44g+56a) in his junior year. Wow. If we add him and Malkin, we have two future forwards who will prob be around 6'5 with skill, not to mention when they fill out they should be around 225-230.

Old
05-01-2004, 05:06 PM
DJ Spinoza

Wheeler's very intruiging, but so is Korpikoski. I'm rooting for Korpikoski first, then maybe a guy like Wheeler.

Take some high reward player at 31, though.

Old
05-01-2004, 09:00 PM
HockeyMaster

vCash:
This guy looks like a stud. Is he a center or a winger?

Old
05-01-2004, 09:08 PM
pittengineer

I believe I read he is a center, but dont quote me on that.

Old
05-01-2004, 09:22 PM
DJ Spinoza

Wow, Wheeler is my age. I guess Malkin is too. Because Wheeler is about to get done with his Junior year, right? He still has one year of high school left?

The Pens may very well take Wheeler, if he's there. I'd prefer Korpikoski, but it seems the Pens last year gave a hefty preference to North American players last year and I am guessing might again, aside from Malkin. Although I think Korpikoski is really a sleeper pick. Maybe we'll get both.

I guess it depends on the scouts. One thing, according to the numbers I have from CSB, Korpikoski is 5'11" 176lbs, so his size might cause him to slip a little bit to our second second rounder.

Old
05-01-2004, 09:33 PM
pittengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKnowNothing
Wow, Wheeler is my age. I guess Malkin is too. Because Wheeler is about to get done with his Junior year, right? He still has one year of high school left?

The Pens may very well take Wheeler, if he's there. I'd prefer Korpikoski, but it seems the Pens last year gave a hefty preference to North American players last year and I am guessing might again, aside from Malkin. Although I think Korpikoski is really a sleeper pick. Maybe we'll get both.

I guess it depends on the scouts. One thing, according to the numbers I have from CSB, Korpikoski is 5'11" 176lbs, so his size might cause him to slip a little bit to our second second rounder.
Wheeler is currently deciding between going to play in the USHL and staying at his high school and playing. He also is unsure of playing football next year also(fear of injury). Just imagine in like 3-4 years, we could have two skilled 6'5 230lbs guys roaming the ice.

Old
05-01-2004, 10:23 PM
Alex Kovalev

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittengineer
Maybe Johannes Salmonsson falls to our late 2nd pick due to his injury and having to have surgery. Seems to be working so far with when we pick Fernholm a couple years back. That would be a killer first two rounds for the pens.

1) Malkin
2a) Wheeler
2b) Salmonsson
Salmonsson may opt out because of his injury. Hes worried it will hurt his stock, which it should.

Old
05-01-2004, 10:25 PM
pittengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Kovalev
Salmonsson may opt out because of his injury. Hes worried it will hurt his stock, which it should.
Thats why I would love to pick him up with our late 2nd. Healthy, this guy would be picked in the top 20. I can't blame him for opting out, but i have the feeling he will stay in.

Old
05-01-2004, 10:28 PM
Alex Kovalev

Quote:
Wheeler's very intruiging, but so is Korpikoski. I'm rooting for Korpikoski first, then maybe a guy like Wheeler.

Take some high reward player at 31, though.

I really like Korpikoski too, but I am worried about his upside. Hes really come on strong this year, which I like, and he was arguably Finlands best player at the U18 tourney (Tukonen was on the team). I dont know whether this guy has the upside nor the size to be a real impact player in the nhl. Though, if he does come through, he should be one hell of a player. I would suggest waiting till Vancouvers 2nd to pick him, and take a less riskier player at 31.

Old
05-01-2004, 10:30 PM
Alex Kovalev

Quote:
Thats why I would love to pick him up with our late 2nd. Healthy, this guy would be picked in the top 20. I can't blame him for opting out, but i have the feeling he will stay in.

He might, and I definitely agree with you that we should take him if hes available at Vancouvers 2nd. Him healthy is better then most of the forward prospects in this draft (offensively that is).

Old
05-01-2004, 10:36 PM
DJ Spinoza

Quote:
I really like Korpikoski too, but I am worried about his upside. Hes really come on strong this year, which I like, and he was arguably Finlands best player at the U18 tourney (Tukonen was on the team). I dont know whether this guy has the upside nor the size to be a real impact player in the nhl. Though, if he does come through, he should be one hell of a player. I would suggest waiting till Vancouvers 2nd to pick him, and take a less riskier player at 31.
Sounds good to me. I'd call Wheeler and Nokelainen two safer picks that we could take at 31. One guy I do not want to see drafted is Evan McGrath. No thanks.

Nokelainen is closer to the NHL than Wheeler. I assume Wheeler is still at least three years away from even considering being signed into the AHL.

Salmonsson is intruiging, but didn't he just get hurt again in the same place? I don't know if it's worth the risk. Depends who's left on the board at the time.

Also, I wouldn't mind to see them take Tesulik, Fransson, or Lepisto in the second, if none of the forwards I like are left. We have depth on defense, yes, but you can never have enough. If one of these guys slips, then I wouldn't hesitate to pick them up. Almost none of the players picked will have an impact immediately, so you don't know what the team will need a couple years down the road.

Draft day can't come soon enough.

Old
05-01-2004, 10:51 PM
pittengineer

Quote:
Sounds good to me. I'd call Wheeler and Nokelainen two safer picks that we could take at 31. One guy I do not want to see drafted is Evan McGrath. No thanks.

Nokelainen is closer to the NHL than Wheeler. I assume Wheeler is still at least three years away from even considering being signed into the AHL.

Salmonsson is intruiging, but didn't he just get hurt again in the same place? I don't know if it's worth the risk. Depends who's left on the board at the time.

Also, I wouldn't mind to see them take Tesulik, Fransson, or Lepisto in the second, if none of the forwards I like are left. We have depth on defense, yes, but you can never have enough. If one of these guys slips, then I wouldn't hesitate to pick them up. Almost none of the players picked will have an impact immediately, so you don't know what the team will need a couple years down the road.
Draft day can't come soon enough.
I agree w/ you and Evan McGrath and I hope we dont take him unless he falls in our 2nd 3rd round pick(calgary trade) or our pick in the 4th. I would consider him then if he fell that far.

Lepisto is an offensive dman and I dont know if the pens would take another one in the early rounds. Dont get me wrong, I like him. Just that i think they could get someone that is more "needed" in the second. You can usually gamble on an offensive dman in later rounds as playing defense is usually their problem that needs work.

Tesulik and Fransson are very interesting. I really like Fransson as he would be one of the guys I like in the 2nd along with Wheeler and Nokelainen.

Old
05-02-2004, 01:32 AM
Alex Kovalev

I think Evan McGrath is a much better prospect then you two make him out to be. He is definitely worthy of going in the 2nd round. I would much rather have him then Nokelainen. Nokelainen isnt much of an offensive presence. McGrath did not have the best of years but he was considered one of the better prospects in this draft a year ago. Sure alot has happened since then, but from what I have seen, he seems to have some good talent - especially offensively. By the way I have watched the Kitchener Rangers play this year.

Fransson would be a good pick if we are looking for a solid offensive defensemen.

Old
05-02-2004, 02:15 AM
Jacob

I like what I've been hearing about Wheeler. He sounds like just the kind of "hit or miss" type of pick we've been looking for.

Old
05-02-2004, 11:42 AM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Bitter Buffalo

vCash: 50
Quote:
He might, and I definitely agree with you that we should take him if hes available at Vancouvers 2nd. Him healthy is better then most of the forward prospects in this draft (offensively that is).
Hedberg for Salmonsson...good deal I'd say.

Old
05-02-2004, 12:48 PM
AEKaki

Quote:
I agree w/ you and Evan McGrath and I hope we dont take him unless he falls in our 2nd 3rd round pick(calgary trade) or our pick in the 4th. I would consider him then if he fell that far.

Lepisto is an offensive dman and I dont know if the pens would take another one in the early rounds. Dont get me wrong, I like him. Just that i think they could get someone that is more "needed" in the second. You can usually gamble on an offensive dman in later rounds as playing defense is usually their problem that needs work.

Tesulik and Fransson are very interesting. I really like Fransson as he would be one of the guys I like in the 2nd along with Wheeler and Nokelainen.

Lepisto will be a 1st round pick, that's for sure.

I'm high on Kasper as well.
But if there's a team that wants both of our 2nd round picks + lets say Fata + Rozsival or something to move up in the top 10 picks, i would love it.

The player I really want to see in a Pens uni besides Malkin is Tukonen. This guy is amazing.

Closed Thread