HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Official "Be A GM" Game.

Old
04-29-2010, 12:40 AM
RABBIT
Captain Cook

vCash: 500
The Official "Be A GM" Game.

The time has come guys. We have to endure the rest of May, and half of June until things for the Coyotes start to get exciting again. So I thought I would come up with something that could be kind of entertaining to do while we wait for the draft and free agency.

The rules are simple, you get to be the GM of the Phoenix Coyotes during the offseason. You go through the draft, make the trades that you would like to see (being realistic is more fun, as people can comment on your idea in a positive manner) and you get to decide who we sign as far as UFA's and RFA's. Adding pictures and graphics makes this all the more interesting.

Last edited by RABBIT: 05-14-2010 at 07:32 PM.
RABBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2010, 01:30 AM
XX
Avoiding the Cap

I claim the Thrashers.

So are we building our teams? or are we just drafting and possibly trading with the Coyotes?

XX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2010, 07:34 AM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Well I'll take PHX

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2010, 08:10 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

If we're all going to be Phoenix after the draft, anyway, why don't we all individually make our own choices just before Maloney steps up to the podium in LA?

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2010, 03:03 PM
doaner

I'll take the Blue Jackets

doaner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2010, 07:33 PM
RABBIT
Captain Cook

With the 13th overall pick in the 2010 NHL entry draft, the Phoenix Coyotes are proud to select, from the Barrie Colts of the OHL:
Alexander Burmistrov

TRADE: Phoenix Trades the 25th pick overall, Defensemen Zbynek Michalek, and Petteri Nokelainen to Chicago in exchange for forward Patrick Sharp and the 43rd overall pick in the 2010 entry draft.

TRADE: Phoenix Trades Defensemen Jim Vandermeer to the Atlanta Thrashers for a 5th round pick.
:thrashers

Phoenix Re-signs:
Matthew Lombardi (2m), Wojtek Wolski (3.5m), Scottie Upshall (2m), Derek Morris (3.3m), Adrian Aucoin (2.2m), Martin Hanzal (1.8m), Alexandre Picard (.8m), Daniel Winnik (.8m), Sami Lepisto (.7m), David Schlemko (.5m), Josh Tordjman (.5m), David Spina (.5m), Francis Lessard (.5m), Joel Perrault (.6m), Al Montoya (.7m)

Remaining Cap Space: $ 8,612,500

Phoenix Signs as a UFA:
Forward Alex Tanguay (2.5m)

Defensemen Sheldon Brookbank (.5m)

Remaining Cap Space: $ 5,512,500

2011-2012 Line Combos:
Wolski-Lombardi-Doan
Tanguay-Turris-Sharp
Prucha-Hanzal-Vrbata
Winnik-Fiddler-Korpikoski

Scratches/Subs: Tikhonov, Bissonette

Jovonovski-Yandle
Morris-Goncharov/OEL
Aucoin-Lepisto

Scratches/Subs: Sauer(?), Brookbank

Bryzgalov
Labarbera

Salary Cap: $ 56,800,000

Phoenix Cap Hit: $ 51,287,500

Notes:
* The Tanguay signing is only relevant if Stempniak asks for more than 2.5 million
* The 25th overall draft pick is subject to change position
* The reasoning behind trading away Michalek rather than letting Aucoin or Morris walk is because both of them have publicly stated that Phoenix is where they plan to sign, Michalek has stated that he is going to explore his options. I think there is a good chance he will leave, so I suggest we trade him before he walks.

Old
05-15-2010, 12:04 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Don't we kind of have to wait and see if Burmistrov is actually there at thirteen? I'd might take him before any forward not named Hall or Seguin.

Old
05-15-2010, 01:23 PM
zz

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabbit3119 View Post
The reasoning behind trading away Michalek rather than letting Aucoin or Morris walk is because both of them have publicly stated that Phoenix is where they plan to sign, Michalek has stated that he is going to explore his options. I think there is a good chance he will leave, so I suggest we trade him before he walks.
I feel stupid, but I'm not following you. Isn't Michalek a UFA already? How can we trade him?

zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2010, 02:18 PM
Kaizen

He's not a UFA until a certain date (July 1?) so his negotiating rights still have some value and can therefore be moved.

Kaizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2010, 04:20 PM
zz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaizen View Post
He's not a UFA until a certain date (July 1?) so his negotiating rights still have some value and can therefore be moved.
Can a player be moved before the end of the playoffs? What's the rule? You can start trading as soon as you're disqualified? I thought trades started again on July 1st. And even if we can trade him, Chicago isn't going to make any moves until the playoffs are over. So that would add up to 15-20 days of talking rights?

Anyway, if Michalek is set on testing free agency, giving talking rights to a team has basically zero value. Why would he change his mind and suddenly waive his right to take the best offer? Unless the Hawks give him an awesome contract, in which case they wouldn't need to trade for him in the 1st place. They could just wait for Jul 1st.

Seems to me that whatever value Michalek had, it's gone. So this trade means an early second, a terrible player and a bag of pucks for a late second and Patrick sharp. The guy's a 25 goal, 60 point scorer signed at $3.9 M / yr for the next 2 years. Not a bad deal. So why would Chicago do this?

Old
05-16-2010, 12:12 PM
RABBIT
Captain Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz View Post
Can a player be moved before the end of the playoffs? What's the rule? You can start trading as soon as you're disqualified? I thought trades started again on July 1st. And even if we can trade him, Chicago isn't going to make any moves until the playoffs are over. So that would add up to 15-20 days of talking rights?

Anyway, if Michalek is set on testing free agency, giving talking rights to a team has basically zero value. Why would he change his mind and suddenly waive his right to take the best offer? Unless the Hawks give him an awesome contract, in which case they wouldn't need to trade for him in the 1st place. They could just wait for Jul 1st.

Seems to me that whatever value Michalek had, it's gone. So this trade means an early second, a terrible player and a bag of pucks for a late second and Patrick sharp. The guy's a 25 goal, 60 point scorer signed at $3.9 M / yr for the next 2 years. Not a bad deal. So why would Chicago do this?
relieve cap? I don;t know, what I was aiming for was a player similar to Sharp's skill level like Stephen Weiss from the Panthers.

Old
05-16-2010, 05:34 PM
jmichael7753

With the 13th overall pick in the 2010 NHL entry draft, the Phoenix Coyotes are proud to select, from the Portland Winterhawks of the WHL, Nino Niederreiter

TRADE Phoenix Trades the 2nd round pick, Philadelphias 2011 2nd round pick, the rights to Zbenik Michalek and Viktor Tikhonov to Pittsburgh for center Jordan Staal, and a 6th round draft pick.

TRADE Phoenix trades foward Colin Long, Goaltender Joel Gistedt and the 25th overall pick to Chicago in exchange for foward Patrick Sharp.

TRADE Phoenix trades Defenseman Ed Jovanovski to Atlanta in exchange for a 2nd and 3rd round pick in the 2010 draft.

Phoenix Re-signs
Matthew Lombardi (2m), Wojtek Wolski (3.2m), Scottie Upshall (1.85m), Adrian Aucoin (2.2m), Martin Hanzal (1.5m), Daniel Winnik (.8m), Sami Lepisto (.7m), David Schlemko (.5m), David Spina (.5m), Joel Perrault (.6m), Al Montoya (.8m), Lee Stempniak (3m)

Remaining Cap Space: $6,350,000

Coyotes sign Unrestricted free agent
Defenseman Niclas Wallin (2m)

Remaining Cap Space: $4,350,000

2010-2011 LINE COMBOS
Woijtek Wolski-Matthew Lombard-Patrick Sharp
Scottie Upshall-Jordan Staal-Lee Stempniak
Petr Prucha-Martin Hanzal-Radim Vrbata
Lauri Korpikoski-Vernon Fiddler-Shane Doan

Scratches: Winnik, Bissonette,

Yandle/Aucoin
Sauer/Goncharov
Wallin/OEL

Scratches Vandameer, Lepisto

Bryzgalov
LaBarbera

Phoenix Cap Hit: $49,600,000

Notes:
I have always valued both Staal and Sharp. If we could get them both that would be fantastic. Also I feel the by trading Jovo we not only dump his salary we give the younger guys more of a shot to play. It was hard not re-signing Michalek but the asking price would have been too much I think.

Last edited by jmichael7753: 05-16-2010 at 05:39 PM.
jmichael7753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2010, 06:58 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

You have ripped off both Chicago and Pittsburgh. Badly. Z's rights are worth MAYBE a third round pick. Neither Long nor Gistedt have an ounce of trade value. Why would Ed Jovanovski waive his NMC to go to Atlanta, of all places? No way in hell Nino drops to thirteen, btw. You've left us with possibly the weakest defense corps in the NHL.

Old
05-16-2010, 07:48 PM
jmichael7753

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
You have ripped off both Chicago and Pittsburgh. Badly. Z's rights are worth MAYBE a third round pick. Neither Long nor Gistedt have an ounce of trade value. Why would Ed Jovanovski waive his NMC to go to Atlanta, of all places? No way in hell Nino drops to thirteen, btw. You've left us with possibly the weakest defense corps in the NHL.
Righttttttt. Nino has been rated from 7-20 in mock drafts i have seen. How exactly did pittsburgh get ripped off. They get 2 second rounders, tiki, and the rights to Z for Staal. Someone they will probably try to move to free up space to take a run at Kovalchuk. That may be an overpayment on the coyotes part. And as for chicago they are going to have to dump someone that it making a good amount of money for next to nothing. They get a first, and two young players for him. And I completely forgot about jovos NMC. Thats my fault. You really think thats a weak defense corp? Really? They lose Jovo who lets face it isnt that strong defensively and is kind of slow with a much younger more talented Goncharov, you replace morris with a player much like himself in Wallin at a much cheaper price, and chances are michaelk was going to bolt anyways so you bring in OEL who has superstar written all over him.

jmichael7753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2010, 09:06 PM
zz

Quote:
relieve cap?
Z's $3M+ and Nokelainen's 850K aren't relieving any cap space.

Anyway, didn't mean to dismantle your proposal - I don't have much to propose myself. I just got really confused about the whole Michalek trading thing and felt like a moron.

Regarding Staal, I think Pittsburgh would rather keep him and trade Malkin. Staal is a more complete 2-way player. Malkin provides the same thing as Crosby and a crazy cap hit. They probably would want to unload his $ 8.9 M salary for a mid-tier winger to put next to Crosby and a defensive upgrade. Maybe something like Wolski or Upshall, a 1st, a defensive prospect like Ross or Goncharov and rights to Z for Malkin.

But we couldn't make this deal. I don't see us taking on Malkin's contract, period.

Old
05-17-2010, 12:03 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmichael7753 View Post
Righttttttt. Nino has been rated from 7-20 in mock drafts i have seen. How exactly did pittsburgh get ripped off. They get 2 second rounders, tiki, and the rights to Z for Staal. Someone they will probably try to move to free up space to take a run at Kovalchuk. That may be an overpayment on the coyotes part. And as for chicago they are going to have to dump someone that it making a good amount of money for next to nothing. They get a first, and two young players for him. And I completely forgot about jovos NMC. Thats my fault. You really think thats a weak defense corp? Really? They lose Jovo who lets face it isnt that strong defensively and is kind of slow with a much younger more talented Goncharov, you replace morris with a player much like himself in Wallin at a much cheaper price, and chances are michaelk was going to bolt anyways so you bring in OEL who has superstar written all over him.
Look at newer mocks.

Second round picks are totally overrated. Look at the numbers. Pittsburgh isn't moving Staal for picks and prospects. He helps them win championships. Just because you want him, doesn't mean he's available. Rights to UFAs are basically worthless, Tikhonov has proved nothing, and second rounders are total crap shoots. Its a terrible deal for the Penguins. You are only considering your own team.

I doubt Pittsburgh is going to be in the running for Kovalchuk. They've PROVEN they can win with the current core.

Chicago is going to have to dump valuable assets for next to nothing? I seriously doubt that. Do you really believe that they don't have a plan?

Its absurd to assume anything about Michalek's intentions.

Yes, I think that would be the weakest group of defensmen in the Western Conference. Talent does not equal effectiveness. Have we not learned our lesson about throwing kids to the wolves? Not to mention counting chickens before they hatch.

Old
05-17-2010, 12:36 AM
RABBIT
Captain Cook

Quote:

Anyway, didn't mean to dismantle your proposal - I don't have much to propose myself. I just got really confused about the whole Michalek trading thing and felt like a moron.

Regarding Staal, I think Pittsburgh would rather keep him and trade Malkin. Staal is a more complete 2-way player. Malkin provides the same thing as Crosby and a crazy cap hit. They probably would want to unload his $ 8.9 M salary for a mid-tier winger to put next to Crosby and a defensive upgrade. Maybe something like Wolski or Upshall, a 1st, a defensive prospect like Ross or Goncharov and rights to Z for Malkin.

But we couldn't make this deal. I don't see us taking on Malkin's contract, period.
I'm talking about Chicago relieving cap, they are in cap hell

Old
05-17-2010, 10:31 AM
wpgyotes
Bye Bryz

Quote:
The problem is Sharp, Versteeg and Byfuglien are going to be in demand, made even worse by their playoff run here. The bidding war will inevitably raise the price and the Hawks should be able to salvage good value in return. I imagine they'd like to avoid losing all three, but the math suggests at least 1 or 2 are on the way out with Huet/Campbell all but unmovable.

wpgyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 10:58 AM
zz

Quote:
Your post:

Quote:
Phoenix Trades the 25th pick overall, Defensemen Zbynek Michalek, and Petteri Nokelainen to Chicago in exchange for forward Patrick Sharp and the 43rd overall pick in the 2010 entry draft.
My response:

Quote:
Again - how does removing Sharp's $ 3.9 M and adding Z's 3M+ and Nokelainen's 850K relieve Chicago's cap space in any way?

Old
05-17-2010, 01:32 PM
RABBIT
Captain Cook

Quote:
Your post:

My response:

Again - how does removing Sharp's $ 3.9 M and adding Z's 3M+ and Nokelainen's 850K relieve Chicago's cap space in any way?
read it wrong I gotcha now.

Old
05-17-2010, 01:33 PM
RABBIT
Captain Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
rt your predictions are always fairly accurate, I'd like to see you take a shot at one of these.

Old
05-17-2010, 03:43 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
rt your predictions are always fairly accurate, I'd like to see you take a shot at one of these.
Broken clocks are right twice a day. I've throw enough ess at the way that some of it was bound to stick, I guess.

Anywho...

13: one of Burmistrov, Granlund, Tarasenko, Etem, Skinner, or Bjugstad
22: one of Kuznetsov, Pulkkinen, Bennett, Zucker, Hishon, or Nelson

Trades:

To NYI:
Vandermeer
Nokelainen

To PHX
Conditional future 7th
---------------------
To VAN:
Jovanovski
Ross

To PHX:
Salo
Alberts

Lineup:

Doan-Wolski-Stempniak
Upshall-Lombardi-Korpikoski
Prucha-Hanzal-Vrbata
Pyatt-Fiddler-Winnik
Bissonnette

Michalek-Yandle
Morris-Aucoin
Salo-Lepisto
Alberts

Bryzgalov
LaBarbera

Old
05-17-2010, 04:53 PM
Naych_PHX
Are you, kidding me?

Alberts, yuck.

other than that, i like rt's. more familiar.

Naych_PHX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 06:19 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Figured Couver might want to even the bucks up, a bit. If you can unload Alberts and sign Hnidy or Boynton for 2/3 the price, more power to you. For a face punching 7th D, he's not the worst you could do. Overpriced by half a mil, or so, but what can you do?

Old
06-02-2010, 08:37 PM
RABBIT
Captain Cook

UPDATED VERSION

With the 13th overall pick in the 2010 NHL entry draft, the Phoenix Coyotes are proud to select, from the Kitchener Rangers of the OHL:
Jeff Skinner

TRADE: Phoenix Trades the 22nd pick overall, the rights to Defensemen Zbynek Michalek, and Petteri Nokelainen to Montreal in exchange for the rights for forward Tomas Plekanec and a 4th round draft pick (117th overall) in the 2010 entry draft.

TRADE: Phoenix Trades Defensemen Jim Vandermeer to the Atlanta Thrashers for a 5th round pick.

Phoenix Re-signs:
Tomas Plekanec (4.5m) Matthew Lombardi (2m), Wojtek Wolski (3.5m), Scottie Upshall (2m), Lee Stempniak (2.5m), Derek Morris (3.3m), Adrian Aucoin (2.2m), Martin Hanzal (1.8m), Alexandre Picard (.8m), Daniel Winnik (.8m), Sami Lepisto (.7m), David Schlemko (.5m), Josh Tordjman (.5m), David Spina (.5m), Francis Lessard (.5m), Joel Perrault (.6m), Al Montoya (.7m)

Remaining Cap Space: $ 5,512,500

Phoenix Signs as a UFA:
Defensemen Freddy Meyer (.6m)

Remaining Cap Space: $ 4,912,500

2010-2011 Line Combos:
Wolski-Plekanec-Doan
Upshall-Lombardi-Stempniak
Prucha-Hanzal-Vrbata
Winnik-Fiddler-Korpikoski

Scratches/Subs: Tikhonov/Turris, Bissonette

Jovonovski-Yandle
Morris-Goncharov/OEL
Aucoin-Lepisto

Scratches/Subs: Sauer(?) Meyer

Bryzgalov
Labarbera

Phoenix Cap Hit: $ 51,887,500

Notes:
* The reasoning behind trading away Michalek rather than letting Aucoin or Morris walk is because both of them have publicly stated that Phoenix is where they plan to sign, Michalek has stated that he is going to explore his options. I think there is a good chance he will leave, so I suggest we trade him before he walks.

Last edited by RABBIT: 06-02-2010 at 09:12 PM.