HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Top available head coaching candidates

Closed Thread

Old
04-29-2010, 09:40 AM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

vCash: 500
Top available head coaching candidates

Ok, so everyone knows about my displeasure towards Terry Murray's coaching skills, I liked what he brought last season, implemented a solid defensive system but I felt like he could've gotten a lot more out of the players this year. I know a playoff birth is what management was aiming for but this team is a lot more skilled than that. We have one of, if not THE best defenseman in the league right now, one of the top centers and a solid core. Most Kings fans were questioning Terry's decisions at times, all his line changes, moving people from the 4th to the 1st line, no line was EVER consistent. Kopitar-Smyth were together most of the time, Handzus-Simmonds, Stoll-Brown. The rest of the guys would keep changing lines, that must be difficult for players to keep having new linemates. Overused Jonathan Quick and that cost us in the end. Randy Jones was used way too much, I know they don't want to rush any of the prospects but couldn't Drewiske do a better job? At least DD44 didn't cost us a playoff game (game 1 turnover Randy Jones, a couple turnovers in game 5 that led to some Vancouver goals).

Here's my question, which coaches would you see being a perfect fit in LA? I'm looking at younger guys, that's how the NHL is now, no one executes that 1980 system that Terry Murray uses anymore, hockey is different, it's 2010 for crying out loud, wake up TM! Here are my choices:

Bob Boughner (OHL, Windsor Spitfires) I think he will become a solid head coach one day
Dale Hunter (OHL, London Knights)
Craig MacTavish (TSN Reporter haha)
Ken Hitchcock <-- too much like TM
Ed Olczyk <-- probably not
Rick Tocchet <-- probably not

Who do you guys see as a potential fit if the Kings were to fire Terry Murray (wishful thinking)?

Old
04-29-2010, 09:45 AM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Dave Tippett

When Dallas fired Tippett, Lombardi should have called Tippett for the head coaching job and told Murray that he would be an assistant or could quit.

Now that Tippet is not available and the Kings made the playoffs, we are stuck with Murray for another year and I don't expect much improvement from last season since Bernier will only get 10-15 games with Murray coaching. He has his favorites (Quick & Jones) and he plays them no matter how then perform on the ice.

Old
04-29-2010, 09:48 AM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Dave Tippett
hahaha omg, don't even get me started.. i wish

Old
04-29-2010, 09:50 AM
Matt Foley
Living in a van

A few candidates the Columbus Blue Jackets will or could be interviewing...

Confirmed candidates:

Scott Arniel - AHL Manitoba Moose
Kevin Dineen - AHL Portland Pirates

Potential interviewees:

Guy Boucher - AHL Hamilton Bulldogs
Brent Peterson - Nashville asst. coach
Paul MacLean - Detroit asst. coach
Jim Playfair - former Flames coach

Old
04-29-2010, 10:06 AM
Habstract

Guy Boucher is by far the best candidate. Young , smart and he knows the game very well. He would be the perfect guy to work with our young guns.

Old
04-29-2010, 10:14 AM
ibleedkings
Is this real?

Plus remember when Terry didn't use Kopi in the shootout, that one game toward the end of the season? That probably cost us playing Phoenix, instead of Vancouver.

All the Murray supporters will say, ''the 101 pts say hello'' but this coach has made way too many ''WTF'' decisions, and it's sad that it took him all season long to realize that Glass Jarrett should not be on the point during the PP and instead it should be JJ. We were saying JJ should be on the point all season long, and we were right. Why do the Kings Fans on HF make better decisions than Terry??? Truly Pathetic.

Old
04-29-2010, 10:26 AM
BobbyRyan9
Let's Go Bruins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewy View Post
Guy Boucher is by far the best candidate. Young , smart and he knows the game very well. He would be the perfect guy to work with our young guns.
He did amazing job with the Drummondville Voltigeurs over the last few years and it shows he has a knack at developing and working with younger players. His coaching abilities transferred over into the pro game very well this year in Hamilton. He brings a winning attitude to a team and can work well one-on-one with players. I've only heard good things about him from players who have played under him.

As for the person mentioning Kevin Dineen as a prospect for Columbus's coaching vacancy, I think there is a slim chance he actually takes the job. He's prepared to return to Portland for another year in the AHL.

Old
04-29-2010, 10:29 AM
BigBrown
They did it again!

Old
04-29-2010, 10:29 AM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

Bob Boughner is who I want

Old
04-29-2010, 10:48 AM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBrown View Post
oh man, that smirk is just knock out worthy, when i see him i actually just clench my fist, wanting to punch him, right in the nose

Old
04-29-2010, 10:55 AM
DeeMeck

vCash: 50
Kevin Dineen will be a good coach. I am actually surprised he is not in the NHL yet.

Old
04-29-2010, 10:56 AM
Zizou
Dont Mix Your Drinks

Old
04-29-2010, 11:10 AM
BehindEnemyLines
2012&2014 CHAMPS

2 names.... Terry Murray

Old
04-29-2010, 11:28 AM
TonySCV
One More Time

Keep on dreaming.

Old
04-29-2010, 11:37 AM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Natural View Post
your avatar > patrick roy

Old
04-29-2010, 11:38 AM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Terry Murray will be the coach of the Kings next year. The only way he would be in any trouble would be if the Kings were fading badly in December with no injury troubles.

This thread is 1 off season too early. I just hope that Lombardi doesn't give him an extension. He's just a "bridge" coach to get the players to believe in a system.

Murray still hasn't shown that he can motivate a team to play their best. The Kings have had poor starts forever and he has no answer for it other than to say that the players are professional and should be able to motivate themselves.

Old
04-29-2010, 11:39 AM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Natural View Post

Old
04-29-2010, 11:43 AM
ibleedkings
Is this real?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
Keep on dreaming.

Yep it is wishful thinking, but this guy is a head coach for a Professional NHL Team and there is no excuse for some of his dumb decisions.

Old
04-29-2010, 11:53 AM
Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I bet u trade me

Send a message via AIM to Cutty Sarkn3ss*
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAY47 View Post
your avatar > patrick roy
HAHA, was thinking the same thing

Old
04-29-2010, 11:58 AM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibleedkings View Post
Yep it is wishful thinking, but this guy is a head coach for a Professional NHL Team and there is no excuse for some of his dumb decisions.

How do you know? Serious question.

Old
04-29-2010, 11:59 AM
LombardiTool

Lame thread!

All coaches make good and bad decisions. No human is perfect. Terry has he,lped turn the team around. He will be around for a while.

Old
04-29-2010, 12:00 PM
CowMix
Go Kings Go!

what about our ahl coach?

Old
04-29-2010, 12:08 PM
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibleedkings View Post
All the Murray supporters will say, ''the 101 pts say hello'' but this coach has made way too many ''WTF'' decisions, and it's sad that it took him all season long to realize that Glass Jarrett should not be on the point during the PP and instead it should be JJ. We were saying JJ should be on the point all season long, and we were right. Why do the Kings Fans on HF make better decisions than Terry??? Truly Pathetic.
Are you seroius? Aren't there still people on this board who think we should trade back for Steckel? Or that Doughty should sign a 10 year contract for an absurdly low amount "because he can always get his payday on his next contract" or something of that sort? I wish I didn't have the memory of a goldfish or else I'd be able to go on and on and on about this.

The only reason you think you make better decisions than Terry is cause 1) your ideas never get put to the acid test and 2) you only remember the times you were right.

Old
04-29-2010, 12:18 PM
Chazz Reinhold

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingPurpleDinosaur View Post
Are you seroius? Aren't there still people on this board who think we should trade back for Steckel? Or that Doughty should sign a 10 year contract for an absurdly low amount "because he can always get his payday on his next contract" or something of that sort? I wish I didn't have the memory of a goldfish or else I'd be able to go on and on and on about this.

The only reason you think you make better decisions than Terry is cause 1) your ideas never get put to the acid test and 2) you only remember the times you were right.
I don't agree with everything Murray does, but this is an excellent post.

Old
04-29-2010, 12:24 PM
ibleedkings
Is this real?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingPurpleDinosaur View Post

Some of his decisions are simple ones to make, and yet we are scratching our heads on why we did the things he did.

Example that I brought up earlier.

The game against the Oilers. We needed 2pts. The shootout happens, and Kopi was not selected as one of the first three shooters. Now really it's not that hard. Kopitar should be a lock for shootouts, and yet Ryan Smith was used instead of Kopi. That is inexcusable.

I just wish his decision making improves. I don't think it would be good for the organization and the players to go through another coaching change, but damn he needs to pull his head out of his ass sometimes.

Closed Thread