HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Top available head coaching candidates

Closed Thread

Old
04-29-2010, 10:34 PM
Zad
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAY47 View Post
Man, people saying Terry Murray only missed the playoffs twice blah blah, ok when was the last time he was a coach? 1989?? God, his system doesn't work anymore, we need young blood, a player's coach, a coach that understands the players, not a 75 year old coach that doesn't know the difference between randy jones & davis drewiske. I never liked him or his brother, one has a lisp and the other just doesn't understand that hockey isn't the same as it was 10 years ago..

Honestly, who here REALISTICALLY sees Terry Murray as being the Kings head coach if or when they win a Stanley Cup? I sure as hell can't.
He went to the Cup with a young Philly team in 97...but don't let the facts get in the way of your exuberance

Old
04-29-2010, 11:00 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zad View Post
He went to the Cup with a young Philly team in 97...but don't let the facts get in the way of your exuberance
In his defense, Melrose took the Kings to the finals in '93 and he's a terrible coach. Making the finals doesn't make you a good coach.

Tippett's not going to the finals, but he's a great coach.

I understand what Lombardi was doing with Murray, he wanted a coach that wouldn't over react with a young team. Kind of an anti-Crawford. But Murray has the team too passive.

I like what we started to see in the playoffs and I like what I'm reading with the exit interviews. I just hope that he comes through with some changes next year. He needs to up the tempo and involve the defense in the offense. The Kings have Doughty and Johnson, they should have one of them on the ice almost the entire game. At least 50 out of 60 minutes per game.

Old
04-29-2010, 11:14 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

If JJ and DD combined for one of the two being on the ice for a full 50 out of 60 minutes, they wouldn't be playing together on the powerplay.

I find that to be a silly issue, that a coach so underutilizes his defenseman or that we are so weak defensively that you can't let more than 10 minutes in a game go by without one of the two on the ice. Your top pair should play 24-28 minutes on average, your middle pair 18-22 and your bottom pair 10-15.

Why bother carrying 6 defensemen if you can't even trust or just don't want two of them out for more than 10 minutes a game?

Old
04-29-2010, 11:57 PM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurrilino View Post
You must be attending different games.......
A monkey could coach the Kings to the Playoff.
We are ready to take the next step and we have to.
The players dind't use the whole 200 feet.
they just used the fefense zone, ignored the neutral zone and just used the
boards to play rugby.
There were no fancy moves from outside or some creative stuff what forced the defenders out of position.
That was just dump shooting from the blueline and hoping for a rebound.
Not to mention the PP. I've never seen a more obvious and easier to defend PP than ours. Again i don't care about stats. we could easily be the leading PP in the league.

Like i said the Hot Dog Salesman could coach us to that point.
What we need is a high skilled guy who is able to get everything from the players who have creative fresh ideas.
As an example, everyone here saw what Brown is able to do in Playoff and what he was doing through the season. We need a coach we squeezes everything out, every game.
New Kurri quote of the week!

Old
04-30-2010, 12:01 AM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
If JJ and DD combined for one of the two being on the ice for a full 50 out of 60 minutes, they wouldn't be playing together on the powerplay.

I find that to be a silly issue, that a coach so underutilizes his defenseman or that we are so weak defensively that you can't let more than 10 minutes in a game go by without one of the two on the ice. Your top pair should play 24-28 minutes on average, your middle pair 18-22 and your bottom pair 10-15.

Why bother carrying 6 defensemen if you can't even trust or just don't want two of them out for more than 10 minutes a game?
Thats a bit high for your top pairing, but I wont argue against it since we apparently have the next coming of Ray Borque/Nick Lidstrom/Scot Neidermyer on our squad. One more year and maybe I'll put him in the Bobby Orr category

Last edited by DIEHARD the King fan: 04-30-2010 at 12:07 AM.
Old
04-30-2010, 12:18 AM
Beauty, eh?
Not sure if serious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Would you be happy if Lombardi gave Murray a 2 year extension?

Old
04-30-2010, 01:01 AM
Herby
Culture Changer

I hate this system, but I don't think now is the time to let him go. But those of you guys that are going to throw out the "OMG 101 pts!!1!" card need to get a clue on what 101 points means in today's NHL, it was good for 6th in the conference. Big deal! With the shootout and loser point you have to change the historical significance of 100 points.

I think he deserves on more year but there were some glaring and major problems with some things TM did, and anyone who doesn't see it is a blind homer.

1. The icetime Jones recieved.

2. The games Quick played. This could also be on DL, they share blame.

3. The PP, in particular running your PP through a 3rd line center with limited offensive ability. How you can play a hack like Stoll over a talent like Johnson is just without defense.

4. Inconsistent treatment of players. If Frolov or Parse took an offensive zone penalty they were benched the rest of the game and maybe the next game. When Ivanans did it, no big deal, next shift as usual.

5. Smyth, O'Donnell, Williams collapse at the end of the year/playoffs. I have no idea if you blame this on coaching, might be reaching here but perhaps they should have been rested more.

Old
04-30-2010, 02:01 AM
Beauty, eh?
Not sure if serious.

Williams' collapse could be blamed on being rushed back/not fully healed from his injury. Just sayin'.

Old
04-30-2010, 02:01 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Everyone knows, but few care.

Old
04-30-2010, 06:20 AM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
I hate this system, but I don't think now is the time to let him go. But those of you guys that are going to throw out the "OMG 101 pts!!1!" card need to get a clue on what 101 points means in today's NHL, it was good for 6th in the conference. Big deal! With the shootout and loser point you have to change the historical significance of 100 points.

I think he deserves on more year but there were some glaring and major problems with some things TM did, and anyone who doesn't see it is a blind homer.

1. The icetime Jones recieved.

2. The games Quick played. This could also be on DL, they share blame.

3. The PP, in particular running your PP through a 3rd line center with limited offensive ability. How you can play a hack like Stoll over a talent like Johnson is just without defense.

4. Inconsistent treatment of players. If Frolov or Parse took an offensive zone penalty they were benched the rest of the game and maybe the next game. When Ivanans did it, no big deal, next shift as usual.

5. Smyth, O'Donnell, Williams collapse at the end of the year/playoffs. I have no idea if you blame this on coaching, might be reaching here but perhaps they should have been rested more.
Parse had a huge game against Nashville, when the Kings were struggling to put the puck in the net, he was the only one scoring, yet TM decides to put that loser Ivanans in instead. It's ridiculous, Murray's a joke, did he not notice that the Parse-Richardson-Simmonds line was one of the best when put together, yet he kept switching Richardson lines, put Simmonds on the first and put Parse on the 4th or made him a healthy scratch. Sooner or later are these line changes get to the player, I don't think Murray realizes this, him and his boyfriend Jamie Kompon should both be fired

Old
04-30-2010, 06:44 AM
markisonfire

I don't think a coaching change is a great idea. The Kings finally learn the system, make the playoffs, and are a Jonathon-Quick-stopping-a-puck-blocker-side away from moving onto the second round against a very good Canucks team, so the best idea going into next year is saying **** it, let's start over with a new coach?

I am still very much a fan of Quick, but let's be reality. Had he reached that 40th win, the Kings are playing the Coyotes in the first round, not the Canucks, and probably win the series. And we'd all be praising Murray.

A lot more goes into the decision making of selecting shooters for the shootout than "This is our best player... go" and the head coach consults with the players and the other coaches. Some guys are feeling on, on certain days. There are many factors.

Old
04-30-2010, 07:13 AM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Would you be happy if Lombardi gave Murray a 2 year extension?
Not yet anyway. Next season we'll see what the Kings do with him.

btw, why do you have an adorable avatar now?

Old
04-30-2010, 08:26 AM
LombardiTool

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAY47 View Post
Parse had a huge game against Nashville, when the Kings were struggling to put the puck in the net, he was the only one scoring, yet TM decides to put that loser Ivanans in instead. It's ridiculous, Murray's a joke, did he not notice that the Parse-Richardson-Simmonds line was one of the best when put together, yet he kept switching Richardson lines, put Simmonds on the first and put Parse on the 4th or made him a healthy scratch. Sooner or later are these line changes get to the player, I don't think Murray realizes this, him and his boyfriend Jamie Kompon should both be fired
The way you goto extremes just drives me frickin bananas. You need ridilin or prozac or something.

Old
04-30-2010, 08:42 AM
Youngblood93

Quote:
Originally Posted by jijalba View Post

After the Rangers fire him, of course. :nod
That's gold Jerry, Gold

Old
04-30-2010, 10:17 AM
ibleedkings
Is this real?

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
If I told that Kopitar had just suffered a charlie horse right before that shoot out, would you then realize how naive your thinking is? Would you realize that there are things going on that you have no concept of because you're watching the game on TV or in the stands?

Murray said something like, he ''wanted to change things up'', when asked by Hammond.

Old
04-30-2010, 10:48 AM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibleedkings View Post
Murray said something like, he ''wanted to change things up'', when asked by Hammond.
Kind of like the "pulling names out of the hat line combo's" some nights.

Old
04-30-2010, 11:43 AM
Defgarden

Murray's had his share of faults, but he's coached well enough to earn next season. If the team starts the first 20 games very badly, then he may get canned.

He just needs to knock it off with the playing certain guys way too much. And yea, the nutty line combos. But I certainly love the fact that the goals against have gone way down since Crawfart.

Kings just need to shoot more, and not rely on the "cycle game" if it's clear that it's not working.

Old
04-30-2010, 12:25 PM
aegwillnotwinthecup*

Ted Nolan

Old
04-30-2010, 12:34 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

vCash: 3733
Not that I want TM fired, well not yet anyways, but has anyone mentioned Mark Hardy as a possible head coach?

Old
04-30-2010, 12:35 PM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

OMG the cycle game is so annoying, it's the only time we EVER scored against Vancouver other than on the PP. I think it's time to implement a new way to score Mr. Murray, fuggin loser

Old
04-30-2010, 01:28 PM
Beauty, eh?
Not sure if serious.

One thing that has pissed me off since the Andy Murray days, and to this day persists and was EXPLOITED even more in the Vancouver series was the fact that this team is simply too slow to play the dump and chase style of hockey. How many times did you see Smyth bank it off the boards to get it deep in the zone, only to be outraced (easily, unfortunately) to the puck by the defenseman and in turn, cleared right back up the ice? It seriously happened almost every shift.

The only guys that were ever able to seemingly execute the play properly were Richardson and Simmonds. Kopitar used his size a few times to get in there and beat the d-man to the puck. Other than that though, the team constantly got beaten to the loose pucks that they themselves had dumped in.

I'm sorry but when it is that ****ing clear that your style of play isn't working against your opponent, you NEED to change things up.

Old
04-30-2010, 02:10 PM
Defgarden

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH63 View Post
Not that I want TM fired, well not yet anyways, but has anyone mentioned Mark Hardy as a possible head coach?
He's been an assistant now for a while yea?

Certainly didn't come to mind, but now that you bring it up, it's at least intriguing.

Old
04-30-2010, 02:12 PM
Defgarden

Quote:
Originally Posted by aegwillnotwinthecup View Post
Ted Nolan
The guy was criticized in Long Island for never playing the young guys and totally favoring his veterans. He'd probably be worse than TM in favoring guys like Jones, giving him 15+ minutes a game, and not giving Parse, Moller, Clune, Clifford, etc. a chance. That's what I would be worried aboot.

Old
04-30-2010, 02:19 PM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

Yeah, Mark Hardy is the only guy I respect on that bench, the other 2 are losers, LOSERS i tell you! Kompon can't even work a Powerplay properly, he thought Stoll would be better on the point than Johnson, lmao. Murray is to blame for that too, most of us on this website were yelling for Johnson on the PP

Old
04-30-2010, 02:36 PM
Duc620

You guys are hysterical....'fire the coach', 'new system', 'cycle sucks'.

As if any of those things would actually improve this team beyond its accomplishments this season. The Kings, a very young team in its SECOND year of learning a structured defensive system, EXCEEDED the expectations of everyone in professional hockey and hockey media.

The Kings, as a franchise, have NEVER had a structured system in place in their history. NEVER. For years, every player, at every level, was just thrown on the ice like it was a f**king all-star game. The systems they played here for years matched most players need for additional tee and beach time. That's all. The only time it nearly worked (NEARLY) involved adding four or five tired hall of famers who played All Star Hockey every night until it finally caught up to them in Montreal. Who beat them with an amazing goalie performance supported by a defensive structure the players had been using since they were in juniors.

This is the first time the Kings have ever been mentioned as becoming a possible elite, perennial playoff, team in their history - and now you guys want to: a) throw out the coach who is creating it, b) blow off the entire development system the GM has put in place - including the players already drafted for said system, and c) apparently go back to the already discredited "offensive" non-cycling system everyone knows doesn't win cups.

Why don't you just root for the freaking Capitals. They're fun to watch. They don't cycle much. They don't dump and chase much. They've got a coach who doesn't teach defense. They've already got a bunch of 40 and 50 goal scorers. What's not to like? Oh. I know. They got blown out in the first round too. But they still don't know what to do next - except score more goals.

At least the Kings finally have a plan, a system, that is being ingrained into the organization from top to bottom. They have a plan and system for next year, and the next, and the next, and a bunch of kids and vets ready to improve on their execution - their personal responsibility - rather than blaming the coach or the system. I'm all for it.

Closed Thread