HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kennedy to play for Team USA at World Championships

Old
04-29-2010, 02:51 PM
Zip15

vCash: 326
Kennedy to play for Team USA at World Championships

Quote:
The player that many wouldn't have thought of has been named to Team USA for the World Championships. Tim Kennedy has been named by Brian Burke. Left off the roster are Jason Pominville and Paul Gaustad.
http://www.wgr550.com/Kennedy-s-seas...tinues/6928666

Good for Kennedy. I think this will do good things for him. I hope he can carry over his solid play in this tournament and that the Worlds serve as a stepping stone to even better things next season. Sekera will play for Slovakia.

Zip15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2010, 02:59 PM
fightclubber25

vCash: 500
atta boy timmy. one of the brightest bright spots for the sabrs this year. glad to see him be able to get away from the nonsense surrounding his hometown boys

fightclubber25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2010, 03:02 PM
OpethianSabre20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post

Good for Kennedy. I think this will do good things for him. I hope he can carry over his solid play in this tournament and that the Worlds serve as a stepping stone to even better things next season. Sekera will play for Slovakia.
Great news for TK. I'd say that's a pretty good reward for a solid rookie campaign.

OpethianSabre20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2010, 03:35 PM
olliho

vCash: 50
I will watch him "Auf Schalke" in the oppening Game in front of 76000 People. I`m already exited, one week till this Event.

I hope Miller will come to.

olliho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2010, 03:40 PM
Duddy
Everyday is

MISTER KENNEDY............ KENNEDY

Great news for da boy.

Duddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2010, 03:51 PM
MayDay

Quote:
Originally Posted by olliho View Post
I will watch him "Auf Schalke" in the oppening Game in front of 76000 People. I`m already exited, one week till this Event.

I hope Miller will come to.
Miller's not coming. No way.

I don't think that most established NHL stars regard the WCs as an important tournament.

But it's good experience for the younger guys.

MayDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2010, 04:10 PM
missingmika

any word on any other Sabres? I would imagine Roy, Gogulla, Schutz, maybe Enroth getting a nod. Didn't Tsyplakov have a big tournament at the World Championships before? Ketterer did get named the best goalie in the tournament in 1991.

missingmika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2010, 07:54 PM
HogtownSabresfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post

If I'm Jason Pominville, I'm pretty humiliated by this. It shows, to me, what impartial unbiased observers think of Mr. Pominville. The population ain't going up enough, me thinks.
Gaustad should feel shame too.

HogtownSabresfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2010, 08:22 PM
dire wolf
be cool

I'd rather see him in the weight room, but this will be good for him too.

dire wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2010, 08:24 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogtownSabresfan View Post
If I'm Jason Pominville, I'm pretty humiliated by this. It shows, to me, what impartial unbiased observers think of Mr. Pominville. The population ain't going up enough, me thinks.
Gaustad should feel shame too.
Pominville choosing not to play last year probably is one reason he was passed over this year. Same with Connolly. That probably rubbed some higher ups in USA Hockey the wrong way. While Connolly probably would decline due to injury, Pominville has no one to blame but himself. Goose has his shoulder issue, he certainly wasn't going to play, plus considering the guys they had already on the team, they weren't looking to add a bottom 6 center, that spot was filled before Buffalo was eliminated.

The guy who should really feel shame is Drew Stafford. They needed a scoring winger, they were basically only taking young players, and he was at the Orientation camp for the Olympics last summer...and he got passed over for Kennedy. Unless they felt with his injury he wouldn't be able to play and didn't offer him a spot...

Then again, I wouldn't put too much stock into who they chose/didn't choose. Last year, even though the Devils were eliminated they passed on Zach Parise, even though he publicly said he would play (he passed this year due to fatigue from playing the condensed schedule + Olympics as most of the Olympians did). Paul Martin has said he would like to play this year, but they passed him over as well.

New Sabres Captain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2010, 11:57 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 2068
They wanted guys that were hungry. Most of the Sabres candidates have been playing like they just had thanksgiving dinner.

Buffaloed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2010, 06:51 AM
joechip

Send a message via Yahoo to joechip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaloed View Post
They wanted guys that were hungry. Most of the Sabres candidates have been playing like they just had thanksgiving dinner.
What this means to me is that if the Sabres wanted to package up one of their mini-LW's, Kennedy would have a lot of value with Brian Burke. That is, of course, beyond the obvious that this will be a good experience for Tim and is something he can build off of towards avoiding the sophomore slump.

Ta,

joechip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2010, 05:57 PM
HogtownSabresfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by joechip View Post
What this means to me is that if the Sabres wanted to package up one of their mini-LW's, Kennedy would have a lot of value with Brian Burke. That is, of course, beyond the obvious that this will be a good experience for Tim and is something he can build off of towards avoiding the sophomore slump.

Ta,
Bull, Pommers is not an elite player and his contract is something we have to eat. Worst contract on the team, by far. Connolly, Rivet have just one year left at least. Pommers has four more years at $5.5million. Un-trade-able!!!!

Old
05-01-2010, 12:34 AM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by dire wolf View Post
I'd rather see him in the weight room, but this will be good for him too.
I think this is much better for him tbh. He'll have plenty of time to bulk up. This is a chance for him to have an in w/ Team USA. If he really puts his game together in the future I could see him as a possible (definitely not a certain) Olympic role player, so this opportunity is important in that respect.

That said, he definitely does need to bulk up.

Rob Paxon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2010, 01:43 AM
dire wolf
be cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
I think this is much better for him tbh. He'll have plenty of time to bulk up. This is a chance for him to have an in w/ Team USA. If he really puts his game together in the future I could see him as a possible (definitely not a certain) Olympic role player, so this opportunity is important in that respect.

That said, he definitely does need to bulk up.
The problem is, you can't bulk up while you're playing. Most guys lose weight during the season. Bulking up will help his game a tremendous amount, as he likes to go to the dirty areas. If he could develop massive upper body strength, he could really be a beast. The problem is he would need an entire off-season of intensive nutrition/training to do that.

dire wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2010, 08:58 AM
joechip

Send a message via Yahoo to joechip
Quote:
Bull, Pommers is not an elite player and his contract is something we have to eat. Worst contract on the team, by far. Connolly, Rivet have just one year left at least. Pommers has four more years at $5.5million. Un-trade-able!!!!
I am staggered by the cognitive dissonance of this post. How does what I wrote have anything to do with Pominville? Kennedy's selection to Team USA means that Brian Burke sees value in him as a player of the "Burke-Kind' and hence would have a bunch of value in a package with him as the centerpiece.

BTW, Poms is not a LW'er.... he's a RW. The mini-LW'ers I was referring to are Gerbe, Kennedy and Ennis.

And, for the record, I disagree that Pominville is un-trade-able. There are plenty of teams that need a smart, capable two-way RW who will pot between 25 and 35 goals consistently. Is he over-paid? Yes. that means you'll have to sweeten the deal but he is trade-able. Rivet is not b/c of current injury, age, relative slowness and cap hit.

Connolly is very trade-able. Again, two way center with good skills and a 70 pt player for $4.5 million is not worthless in a league where even decent centers are hard to come by.

Ta,

joechip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2010, 11:03 AM
HogtownSabresfan

Quote:
I am staggered by the cognitive dissonance of this post. How does what I wrote have anything to do with Pominville? Kennedy's selection to Team USA means that Brian Burke sees value in him as a player of the "Burke-Kind' and hence would have a bunch of value in a package with him as the centerpiece.

BTW, Poms is not a LW'er.... he's a RW. The mini-LW'ers I was referring to are Gerbe, Kennedy and Ennis.

And, for the record, I disagree that Pominville is un-trade-able. There are plenty of teams that need a smart, capable two-way RW who will pot between 25 and 35 goals consistently. Is he over-paid? Yes. that means you'll have to sweeten the deal but he is trade-able. Rivet is not b/c of current injury, age, relative slowness and cap hit.

Connolly is very trade-able. Again, two way center with good skills and a 70 pt player for $4.5 million is not worthless in a league where even decent centers are hard to come by.

Ta,
I'm a bit staggered by your disconnect from reality. Tim Connolly is the only 70-point guy who has never actually scored 70 points. LOL. Not to mention his next best season before this past one was 55 points. I know he'd get those points if he was healthy. Oops better not go down that road. Connolly is not tradeable until the deadline unless you take someone else's junk buck. Pominville, for the record, is only tradeable if you take a similar crap long-term deal back. A 25-goal, 60 point guy who is soft is not worth anywhere near $5.3-million. It's all about the cap. Haven't you figured that out? If Pommers was making $3-million, or even $4-million, you could dangle him but at $5.3-million, you can only trade him if you take a crappy contract back.
...and am sorry. Pominville may play opposite wing but it says something when Kennedy is taken for team USA. If they wanted Pominville, Burke finds a spot for him. I actually find it a bit shocking that he's not considered one of the best 20 USA players out of playoffs.

Old
05-02-2010, 12:56 PM
fightclubber25

Quote:
I'm a bit staggered by your disconnect from reality. Tim Connolly is the only 70-point guy who has never actually scored 70 points. LOL. Not to mention his next best season before this past one was 55 points. I know he'd get those points if he was healthy. Oops better not go down that road. Connolly is not tradeable until the deadline unless you take someone else's junk buck. Pominville, for the record, is only tradeable if you take a similar crap long-term deal back. A 25-goal, 60 point guy who is soft is not worth anywhere near $5.3-million. It's all about the cap. Haven't you figured that out? If Pommers was making $3-million, or even $4-million, you could dangle him but at $5.3-million, you can only trade him if you take a crappy contract back.
...and am sorry. Pominville may play opposite wing but it says something when Kennedy is taken for team USA. If they wanted Pominville, Burke finds a spot for him. I actually find it a bit shocking that he's not considered one of the best 20 USA players out of playoffs.
everyone is tradeable. we traded nathan paetsch.. if the goal is to get a slacking player off the roster in order to clear space for another.. its possible. connolly isnt not tradeable, lol, plenty of teams could find a use for him and ive seen much worse players get traded.. um, raffi torres ring a bell? as for the money.. do you pay attention to free agency? players get way more money than they deserve all the time, so the idea that a player cant be traded cuz their making "too much money" doesnt make sense. if a team likes a guy and they can get him with an existing contract, saves them the trouble of a bidding war and potentially spending MORE

fightclubber25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2010, 01:17 PM
ADoubleD

Quote:

Ta,
I have to agree that Poms does have value. Look at how well he played with Briere in 06-07. I could see a team that has a good passing center being interested in possibly bringing in Poms to play with him. Playing with a top center, I can see Poms easily being a 30 goal 70 point+ player again. If the team seriously considers moving him, that's the way they should advertise him IMO.

Now the only problem would be, what team would they move him to, and who would they get back in return?

But anyways congrats to TK. Hopefully this will be a good thing for him developmentally as a player.

ADoubleD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2010, 01:21 PM
ADoubleD

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSwords View Post
Pominville choosing not to play last year probably is one reason he was passed over this year. Same with Connolly. That probably rubbed some higher ups in USA Hockey the wrong way. While Connolly probably would decline due to injury, Pominville has no one to blame but himself. Goose has his shoulder issue, he certainly wasn't going to play, plus considering the guys they had already on the team, they weren't looking to add a bottom 6 center, that spot was filled before Buffalo was eliminated.

The guy who should really feel shame is Drew Stafford. They needed a scoring winger, they were basically only taking young players, and he was at the Orientation camp for the Olympics last summer...and he got passed over for Kennedy. Unless they felt with his injury he wouldn't be able to play and didn't offer him a spot...

Then again, I wouldn't put too much stock into who they chose/didn't choose. Last year, even though the Devils were eliminated they passed on Zach Parise, even though he publicly said he would play (he passed this year due to fatigue from playing the condensed schedule + Olympics as most of the Olympians did). Paul Martin has said he would like to play this year, but they passed him over as well.
I agree. Look at the goalies they picked. Isn't Scott Clemensen the only NHL goalie on the roster? Also the rest of the roster isn't exactly the cream of the crop of American hockey players either.

ADoubleD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2010, 02:49 PM
threeVo

Excited to see Dave Leggio get a call! Played with him in high school and he just won a league championship out in Finland

threeVo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2010, 03:57 PM
ZemgusWho
Play for 2013+

Quote:
Originally Posted by threeVo View Post
Excited to see Dave Leggio get a call! Played with him in high school and he just won a league championship out in Finland
St. Joe's right?
I saw his name on the team and wasn't sure if he was the same Dave Leggio that I went to high school with.
http://hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=84840

ZemgusWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2010, 04:32 PM
threeVo

Yea thats him

threeVo is offline   Reply With Quote