HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

Off-Season Game Plan: Florida Panthers

Old
05-11-2010, 05:04 PM
Rob Zepp

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by katatoniak View Post
Is Repik a lock for next season ?
I don't think so and it sucks. He is a VERY talented player who needs to play to do well. He is grittier than he is given credit for. If the Panthers give up on him, watch that come back to bite.

Rob Zepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2010, 05:10 PM
Biggzy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Zepp View Post
I don't think so and it sucks. He is a VERY talented player who needs to play to do well. He is grittier than he is given credit for. If the Panthers give up on him, watch that come back to bite.
Completely agree. He should be on the roster all season next year.

Biggzy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 08:48 AM
Alessandro Seren Rosso
Hockey's Future Staff

Send a message via ICQ to Alessandro Seren Rosso Send a message via MSN to Alessandro Seren Rosso
Dadonov has something to say: "If Panthers don't guarantee me a spot in the NHL, I'll get back to Russia"

http://www.russianhockeyfans.com/nhl...ussia-184.html

05-17-2010, 09:17 AM
billysbreakdown

vCash: 235
Guarantee a spot? Who does he think he is? It's not like he looked lights out great the little time he had here. I think he'll have to show quite a bit more to be guaranteed a spot. Though I'm really looking forward to him developing!

billysbreakdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 10:11 AM
angry_treefrog
T63813A

Quote:
Originally Posted by OscarFLA View Post
Guarantee a spot? Who does he think he is? It's not like he looked lights out great the little time he had here. I think he'll have to show quite a bit more to be guaranteed a spot. Though I'm really looking forward to him developing!
Don't read too much into the word "guarantee". It makes it sound like too much like a threat. Don't discount the language barrier. I read it as "if I don't play in the NHL next year, I'll go play in the KHL instead of the AHL". Not great news if you are a Panthers fan, but not unreasonable if you are a young Russian hockey player.

angry_treefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 10:21 AM
jessebelanger

reading through the interview it definitely looks like a language thing. I wouldn't take it as a threat

jessebelanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2010, 10:04 AM
RainingRats

This is from the main board going through Chicago's cap issues...

Start with erasing Sopel, there is virtual no way they pay a bottom pairing d-man 2mill+. Same goes for Kopecy, but he may be kept around to not piss off Hossa- however, I think Marion will be perfectly content whether Kopecy is there or not. If they are still spending 3.5 on these two next year, than yes, things are a lot worse than I am expecting.

After eliminating the overpaid excess, look to Huet. 11 million is a ton to dump in the minors, but if I were the owner and I saw that Huet was going to cost me Versteeg+Sharp, I'd probably agree to it, knowing that the eventual cup my massive-market team wins would be worth that wasted 11 million. Whether the PA, league, and future free agents would approve of such a move is debatable, but I agree with Hawk fans who think awesomeness of the city+elite young talent+chance for a cup will outweigh a team kicking a vastly overpaid and under performing player to the curb (they may just need to include NMCs in a lot of contracts). If they choose not to dump Huet, they will lose a good bit of depth, but they will still field a squad with Seabrook, Keith, Toews, Kane, Sharp, Hossa, Campbell, and some other solid players.

Let's assume everything goes right:

AUTO-GENERATED CAPGEEK.COM LINES
FORWARDS
Jonathan Toews ($6.300m) / Patrick Kane ($6.300m) / Marian Hossa ($5.275m)
Patrick Sharp ($3.900m) / Dave Bolland ($3.375m) / * Jack Skille ($1.275m)
Kyle Beach ($1.200m) / Troy Brouwer ($1.025m) / * Nathan Davis ($0.850m)
* Colin Fraser ($0.770m) / * Kyle Greentree ($0.650m) / * Bryan Bickell ($0.500m)
DEFENSEMEN
Brian Campbell ($7.143m) / Duncan Keith ($5.538m)
Brent Seabrook ($3.500m) / * Niklas Hjalmarsson ($3.000m)
Shawn Lalonde ($0.800m) / * Jordan Hendry ($0.750m)
* Nick Boynton ($0.650m)
GOALTENDERS
* Antti Niemi ($2.000m) / Corey Crawford ($0.800m)
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS
ROSTER: 21; PAYROLL: $55.601m; CAP ROOM: $1.719m BONUSES: $0.520m

They move Versteeg, Byfuglien grabbing a 1st+2nd+ in the process.
Ladd, Madden, Burish, and Eager are reluctantly let go. If they can bring back Madden for 1 million or the latter two for 750k they probably do it. However, with elite talent, I think bottom 6 is the place to skimp. They can look for a Malhorta-type deal like similar to what the Sharks got. Keep a short roster and hope for minimal injuries, again following San Jose's model.

Lock up Niemi and Hjammer now for reasonable deals. I think a team could really like Hjammer and throw a 3.5 offer sheet his way. He is a legit top 4, young, and very complete. He is easily worth more than a 2nd, but I am not sure Chicago would match 3.5, and I am certain they'd pass on 4. The wonderful thing about os however, is that your player has to be willing to sign them- no guarantee that just tendering the offer will do anything more than piss Chi-town off.

In short, it all depends on if they can move Huet. I think they might be able to.

I think we need to try to grab Eager and one of Buff or Veersteeg. Eager especially.

RainingRats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2010, 10:20 AM
ShootIt

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post

I think we need to try to grab Eager and one of Buff or Veersteeg. Eager especially.
Eager + Buff would really be a step in the right direction for this team. You gain much needed size from both players, toughness and a player willing to crash the net in Buff.

ShootIt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2010, 01:29 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
This is from the main board going through Chicago's cap issues...

Start with erasing Sopel, there is virtual no way they pay a bottom pairing d-man 2mill+. Same goes for Kopecy, but he may be kept around to not piss off Hossa- however, I think Marion will be perfectly content whether Kopecy is there or not. If they are still spending 3.5 on these two next year, than yes, things are a lot worse than I am expecting.

After eliminating the overpaid excess, look to Huet. 11 million is a ton to dump in the minors, but if I were the owner and I saw that Huet was going to cost me Versteeg+Sharp, I'd probably agree to it, knowing that the eventual cup my massive-market team wins would be worth that wasted 11 million. Whether the PA, league, and future free agents would approve of such a move is debatable, but I agree with Hawk fans who think awesomeness of the city+elite young talent+chance for a cup will outweigh a team kicking a vastly overpaid and under performing player to the curb (they may just need to include NMCs in a lot of contracts). If they choose not to dump Huet, they will lose a good bit of depth, but they will still field a squad with Seabrook, Keith, Toews, Kane, Sharp, Hossa, Campbell, and some other solid players.

Let's assume everything goes right:

AUTO-GENERATED CAPGEEK.COM LINES
FORWARDS
Jonathan Toews ($6.300m) / Patrick Kane ($6.300m) / Marian Hossa ($5.275m)
Patrick Sharp ($3.900m) / Dave Bolland ($3.375m) / * Jack Skille ($1.275m)
Kyle Beach ($1.200m) / Troy Brouwer ($1.025m) / * Nathan Davis ($0.850m)
* Colin Fraser ($0.770m) / * Kyle Greentree ($0.650m) / * Bryan Bickell ($0.500m)
DEFENSEMEN
Brian Campbell ($7.143m) / Duncan Keith ($5.538m)
Brent Seabrook ($3.500m) / * Niklas Hjalmarsson ($3.000m)
Shawn Lalonde ($0.800m) / * Jordan Hendry ($0.750m)
* Nick Boynton ($0.650m)
GOALTENDERS
* Antti Niemi ($2.000m) / Corey Crawford ($0.800m)
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS
ROSTER: 21; PAYROLL: $55.601m; CAP ROOM: $1.719m BONUSES: $0.520m

They move Versteeg, Byfuglien grabbing a 1st+2nd+ in the process.
Ladd, Madden, Burish, and Eager are reluctantly let go. If they can bring back Madden for 1 million or the latter two for 750k they probably do it. However, with elite talent, I think bottom 6 is the place to skimp. They can look for a Malhorta-type deal like similar to what the Sharks got. Keep a short roster and hope for minimal injuries, again following San Jose's model.

Lock up Niemi and Hjammer now for reasonable deals. I think a team could really like Hjammer and throw a 3.5 offer sheet his way. He is a legit top 4, young, and very complete. He is easily worth more than a 2nd, but I am not sure Chicago would match 3.5, and I am certain they'd pass on 4. The wonderful thing about os however, is that your player has to be willing to sign them- no guarantee that just tendering the offer will do anything more than piss Chi-town off.

In short, it all depends on if they can move Huet. I think they might be able to.

That team is not likely. Davis's wont be retained by Hawks as he has had injuries 3 straight years in minors , Lalonde needs a year in AHL , etc

I expect the cap will rise 250k for next year (Based on the markets advancing deep in playoffs + increase in ratings)

More likely

-Huet waived / Loaned to Europe
-Sopel traded with asset to move his contract (Also rumors he may retire after year)
-Trade Versteeg , Buff and Eager's RFA rights
-Dont resign C John Madden , C Colin Fraser , D Kim Johnsson (Career may be over / Concussions)
-Resign Ladd (1.8) , Niemi (2.2) , Hjalmarsson (2.7) , Bickell (.675) , Hendry (.850) , Burish (.950)

Brouwer (1.025) - Toews (6.3) - Kane (6.3)
Beach (1.2) - Sharp (3.9) - Hossa (5.275)
Ladd (1.8) - Bolland (3.375) - Skille (.975)
Bickell (.675) - Burish (.950) - Kopecky (1.2)
(Dowell as extra at .525)

Keith (5.538) - Seabrook (3.5)
Campbell (7.143) - Hjalmarsson (2.7)
Connelly (.875) - Hendry (.850)
(Cheap UFA as #7 dman)

Niemi (2.2)
Crawford (.800)

If Cap stays flat or our RFA's need a little more $ then we trade Kopecky also to clear 1.2 mil in cap and use that towards filling roster

Last edited by Blackhawkswincup: 05-23-2010 at 12:40 PM.
Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2010, 03:36 PM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
I kept hearing the budget increasing during Tallon's interview. It sounded like the team's salary will be closer to the cap than the floor, which is good to hear. If its anywhere near what it has been the past few seasons, I will be happy with it. I enjoyed listening to what everyone had to say today, and if in fact change is going to happen, Im exciting to see what will go on.

pb1300 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 11:47 AM
TimHortons
Gud Night

Just a sidebar but I saw the TSN article on Anton Volchenkov's potential signing with WSH, joining the rest of the Russian contingent there. The part of the article that caught my eye was that it had mentioned Andy Sutton as another UFA. I think he would qualify as the stay-at-home defender that Tallon covets.

Do you think we would pursue him? If so, at what price?

Source:http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=322478

TimHortons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 03:13 PM
JP Mick
Fire trucks beware!

vCash: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimHortons View Post
Just a sidebar but I saw the TSN article on Anton Volchenkov's potential signing with WSH, joining the rest of the Russian contingent there. The part of the article that caught my eye was that it had mentioned Andy Sutton as another UFA. I think he would qualify as the stay-at-home defender that Tallon covets.

Do you think we would pursue him? If so, at what price?

Source:http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=322478
Nah, He's 35 and has had alot of injuries over the years...
I would pass and grab someone younger.

JP Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 08:18 PM
allin4466

Is Tyler Plante signed? Or will he be?

allin4466 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 04:03 PM
Markstrom Rules
Great Finnish

Quote:
Originally Posted by allin4466 View Post
Is Tyler Plante signed? Or will he be?
He's a RFA. We'd be moronic not to sign him.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote