HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

The Flames should take the Cup

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-10-2004, 04:34 PM
  #1
Siberian
Registered User
 
Siberian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Saint Pierre
Country: France
Posts: 3,539
vCash: 500
The Flames should take the Cup

Well, the Flames of right now is one of the most amazing and resillient team I have seen in my life. This team works as a TEAM on every square inch of the ice. I do not see anybody stopping them right now unless there is injuries to key members of the club.
Whoever has seen them play will agree with me that this team deserves the Cup more than everybody else. I applaud to these group of people and to Mr. Sutter for creating such fantastic chemistry among them!

Siberian is offline  
Old
05-10-2004, 04:40 PM
  #2
Blackjack
Registered User
 
Blackjack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Posts: 6,034
vCash: 500
Unfortunatly I think Tampa is going to win the cup. They've steamrolled everybody they've played so far.

Blackjack is offline  
Old
05-10-2004, 04:49 PM
  #3
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Country: Argentina
Posts: 23,129
vCash: 500
What is so unfortunate about Tampa winning the Cup? You make it sound bad that a young fast puck control team winning the Cup is a bad thing

Joe T Choker is offline  
Old
05-10-2004, 05:09 PM
  #4
Puckz
Registered User
 
Puckz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kelowna, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,126
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven_Nation_Army
What is so unfortunate about Tampa winning the Cup? You make it sound bad that a young fast puck control team winning the Cup is a bad thing
I agree it's unfortunate, does anyone in Tampa Bay know what the NHL or Stanley Cup is?

Puckz is offline  
Old
05-10-2004, 05:12 PM
  #5
Guest
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 5,246
vCash: 500
For conversation sake...

What makes the Flames of 2004 any different than the Ducks of 2003, Hurricane's of 2002, Capitals of 1998, Panthers of 1996? All teams that made Cinderella runs to the finals beating some of the best teams along the way.

Florida is the only one of the 4 to make the playoffs the next season. None of them won the Cup, or have challenged since.

Calgary looks to be a team on the rise, but so did the others for the most part.

If any of the Flyers, Lightning, or Sharks made it to the Finals, it wouldn't be considered a Cinderella story, that's why I single out the Flames.

Guest is offline  
Old
05-10-2004, 05:15 PM
  #6
Thalia
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Scotland
Posts: 4,792
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckz
I agree it's unfortunate, does anyone in Tampa Bay know what the NHL or Stanley Cup is?
Maybe not too many but plenty of us Canadians who live on the extreme left coast, on an island, know about T-Bay (saw them play in January at the Garage too) and we think they've got a great team and would love to see them in the finals... sheer entertainment purposes for me.

Thalia is offline  
Old
05-10-2004, 05:17 PM
  #7
littleHossa
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,753
vCash: 500
I don't think Calgary will even get to the Finals. When San Jose got down 2-0 early I though they were done, but they still got 18 shots in the period. They then came back to make it 2-2 against the whole Cinderella team thing and didn't give in to Kiprusoff. They again came back from behind to make it 3-3 in the dying moments of the 3rd period, this team is focused and what they've shown are signs of a great team. As long as they keep on trying against Kiprusoff, they are going to battle it out, and I think win the series.

littleHossa is offline  
Old
05-10-2004, 05:19 PM
  #8
Bicycle Repairman
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,695
vCash: 500
Anyone who thinks the other three teams left in the hunt for the Stanley Cup aren't hard working as well is dreaming.

Bicycle Repairman is offline  
Old
05-10-2004, 05:41 PM
  #9
Sotnos
Registered User
 
Sotnos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Not here
Posts: 10,900
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckz
I agree it's unfortunate, does anyone in Tampa Bay know what the NHL or Stanley Cup is?
Judging from the massive crowd when I went to see the Cup this past weekend (took an hour and a half in line, worse than Disney), I'd say yeah, they have a good idea what it is.

Sotnos is offline  
Old
05-10-2004, 05:45 PM
  #10
Raging Bull
Registered User
 
Raging Bull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Hamilton, ONT
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,395
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckz
I agree it's unfortunate, does anyone in Tampa Bay know what the NHL or Stanley Cup is?
It may be hard for you to admit now, but Tampa does have a huge following! Just because they hail from somewhere that doesn't see snow or ice, doesn't mean they don't know anything about hockey.

Raging Bull is offline  
Old
05-10-2004, 05:45 PM
  #11
easton122
Registered User
 
easton122's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,951
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to easton122 Send a message via MSN to easton122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotnos
Judging from the massive crowd when I went to see the Cup this past weekend (took an hour and a half in line, worse than Disney), I'd say yeah, they have a good idea what it is.
Ah you guys are just jinxing yourselves

easton122 is offline  
Old
05-10-2004, 05:54 PM
  #12
Sotnos
Registered User
 
Sotnos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Not here
Posts: 10,900
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by easton122
Ah you guys are just jinxing yourselves
Fans can see/touch the Cup, it's the players that need to stay away. Supposedly even the Bolts staff got a memo telling them to not go near it.

Sotnos is offline  
Old
05-10-2004, 06:18 PM
  #13
Puckz
Registered User
 
Puckz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kelowna, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,126
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mogilny8989
It may be hard for you to admit now, but Tampa does have a huge following! Just because they hail from somewhere that doesn't see snow or ice, doesn't mean they don't know anything about hockey.
For a first place team to have to package tickets, and sell them 2-for-1 in order to come close to full capacity at the end of the year is somewhat depressing to say the least... it was a highly talked about topic on the Canadian sports shows up here... as for the guy who said the hour and a half line was huge? Try and find the thing up here... went to a small city back after the 2000 finals, population about 30,000 people and the line was about that. What's the population of Tampa Bay? I will say that more attention is being paid than ever before, but it still lacks in comparison to any of the Canadian teams and the big US Hockey cities such as Detroit...

Puckz is offline  
Old
05-10-2004, 06:42 PM
  #14
AvengerK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Cal Poly, the good 1
Posts: 1,880
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to AvengerK
What is wrong with people? Some of you make it sound like it'd a crime against hockey if anyone other than a Canadian team wins the cup, or if any of the southern market hockey teams win the cup. And just because Philadelphia isn't as young or fast as the other teams doesn't mean they shouldn't win either.

AvengerK is offline  
Old
05-10-2004, 06:49 PM
  #15
Puckz
Registered User
 
Puckz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kelowna, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,126
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvengerK
What is wrong with people? Some of you make it sound like it'd a crime against hockey if anyone other than a Canadian team wins the cup, or if any of the southern market hockey teams win the cup. And just because Philadelphia isn't as young or fast as the other teams doesn't mean they shouldn't win either.
A crime? No I wouldn't think it would be a crime... and it doesn't mean I don't think Tampa Bay doesn't deserved to win it either... They are a talented young team, very worthy of the Cup... Simply put, I was just saying, from a market standpoint I would like to see Calgary (or another Canadian team if that possibility was there) win it because I honestly do believe they would appreciate it more than the people of Tampa Bay... And once again, strides have been made, there are people in Tampa and other southern American cities who are aware and interested, but it's just simply not at the level of a Canadian team...

Puckz is offline  
Old
05-10-2004, 06:50 PM
  #16
Teemu
Moderator
 
Teemu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Palatine
Country: United States
Posts: 20,386
vCash: 500
Dude. Its been ONE game. And its not like the flames beat the sharks 5-0 or anything, they won by one goal. Its still a best of seven series.

Teemu is offline  
Old
05-10-2004, 06:52 PM
  #17
Teemu
Moderator
 
Teemu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Palatine
Country: United States
Posts: 20,386
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberian
Whoever has seen them play will agree with me that this team deserves the Cup more than everybody else.
What about Dave Andreychuk? He deserves it quite a bit more than yet another cinderella team

Teemu is offline  
Old
05-10-2004, 07:56 PM
  #18
AvengerK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Cal Poly, the good 1
Posts: 1,880
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to AvengerK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckz
Simply put, I was just saying, from a market standpoint I would like to see Calgary (or another Canadian team if that possibility was there) win it because I honestly do believe they would appreciate it more than the people of Tampa Bay... And once again, strides have been made, there are people in Tampa and other southern American cities who are aware and interested, but it's just simply not at the level of a Canadian team...
From a market standpoint, if Tampa Bay never wins a cup, why should there continue to be a team there? In fact, why have 30 teams at all? Why not just have 1 team that wins it all the time so they can appreciate it forever?

Apparently, no one in the US appreciates hockey, which is why there are 24 teams there while there are only 6 in Canada.

Edit: I just realized I'm arguing a moot point. Flames won't take the cup just because they would appreciate it more. If the Flames are going to take the cup, it's because they're the first team to 16 wins. Same goes for any other team.

AvengerK is offline  
Old
05-10-2004, 08:05 PM
  #19
Puckz
Registered User
 
Puckz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kelowna, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,126
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvengerK
From a market standpoint, if Tampa Bay never wins a cup, why should there continue to be a team there? In fact, why have 30 teams at all? Why not just have 1 team that wins it all the time so they can appreciate it forever?

Apparently, no one in the US appreciates hockey, which is why there are 24 teams there while there are only 6 in Canada.

Edit: I just realized I'm arguing a moot point. Flames won't take the cup just because they would appreciate it more. If the Flames are going to take the cup, it's because they're the first team to 16 wins. Same goes for any other team.
You did mention in a previous thread (http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.p...78#post1344578) about the reality NHL show that "I'd assume it's Canada only, unless some network like SpikeTV picks it up after it already airs in Canada or something. This show would be bottom of the barrel ratings in the US. " Now, I don't know, but it sounds to me like you are saying there that simply there is less interest in hockey in America than in Canada? Somewhat opposing your argument... either way, agreed on your edit, whoever will take it will take it because of the team not the market they play in.

Puckz is offline  
Old
05-10-2004, 08:06 PM
  #20
HuskyFlames
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 4,671
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teemu08
What about Dave Andreychuk? He deserves it quite a bit more than yet another cinderella team
How can ONE player deserve it more than a whole team? What a joke.

HuskyFlames is offline  
Old
05-10-2004, 08:12 PM
  #21
Ol' Dirty Chinaman*
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: I'm bottled fizzy wa
Posts: 1,926
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberian
Well, the Flames of right now is one of the most amazing and resillient team I have seen in my life. This team works as a TEAM on every square inch of the ice. I do not see anybody stopping them right now unless there is injuries to key members of the club.
Whoever has seen them play will agree with me that this team deserves the Cup more than everybody else. I applaud to these group of people and to Mr. Sutter for creating such fantastic chemistry among them!
Cinderella's never win the cup.

This is Philly's year. AFter what Roenick has gone through, he deserves it. What a warrior.

Ol' Dirty Chinaman* is offline  
Old
05-10-2004, 08:27 PM
  #22
Coburnfan05
Registered User
 
Coburnfan05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: SOB Southern Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,103
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvengerK
What is wrong with people? Some of you make it sound like it'd a crime against hockey if anyone other than a Canadian team wins the cup, or if any of the southern market hockey teams win the cup. And just because Philadelphia isn't as young or fast as the other teams doesn't mean they shouldn't win either.
It is a crime unless of course it's Philaadelphia, they have a "get out of jail freee" card.

Coburnfan05 is offline  
Old
05-10-2004, 08:29 PM
  #23
Coburnfan05
Registered User
 
Coburnfan05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: SOB Southern Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,103
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teemu08
What about Dave Andreychuk? He deserves it quite a bit more than yet another cinderella team
As a philly if by some unforseen miracle the Lightning beat the flyers, I wouldn't mind seing Dave win the cup...He's from my hometown.

Coburnfan05 is offline  
Old
05-10-2004, 09:30 PM
  #24
EaGLE1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Quebec City
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,442
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teemu08
Dude. Its been ONE game. And its not like the flames beat the sharks 5-0 or anything, they won by one goal. Its still a best of seven series.
I wouldn't want my team to be losing 1-0 in a serie againt Kiprusoff
Games 3 and 4 will be in Calgary!! If Sharks lose the next game, it's over in my book.
Calgary is the most unite team in all NHL! I hope they win the cup!

Here's the team i think could win the cup...

1.Philadelphia 35%
2.Calgary 25%
3.San Jose 21%
4.Tampa Bay 19%

EaGLE1 is offline  
Old
05-10-2004, 09:43 PM
  #25
Gert B Frobe
Registered User
 
Gert B Frobe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Morgantown PA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,440
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Dirty Chinaman
Cinderella's never win the cup.

This is Philly's year. AFter what Roenick has gone through, he deserves it. What a warrior.
Montreal in '93 was pretty surprising though not Cinderella.

I think after what we saw tonight (6-2 smoking) and the 7-2 pounding of the Leafs - the Flyers are the strongest team left. Calgary has tons of heart and a hot goaltender but...

Gert B Frobe is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:35 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.