HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why you always try to make the playoffs

Closed Thread

Old
04-30-2010, 08:19 PM
FOXHOUND*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by robruckus View Post
My point to both of you is that while I may not disagree with your logic or strategy it's not going to happen.

You can wish and hope and pray and plead and cry. It's not going to happen. Glen Sather. James Dolan. These people will not allow this to happen.

And even if they did I absolutely beg you to tell me that you have faith in them to rebuild the way you want them to.

You can hope all you want, but the fact of the matter is what you're hoping for is practically impossible.

Tigers don't change their stripes.

I'd rather see this team in the playoffs and get to enjoy them a little longer each season.

If this team had the #1 overall pick this year I wouldn't trust them to not **** it up. That's how poor they are.
you're saying that as long as these guys are in charge it doesnt matter if we make it or dont its still gonna be ******
i get that, and i respect that
but the fact remains that we have made the playoffs the past 4 years and have nothing to show for it (ie a final appearance or a cup)
maybe its time to try something different, however radical it might be

as far as enjoying watching them, you enjoy watching them lose? on the big stage? with the entire league watching? the rangers are already a laughing stock in the nhl we dont need anymore of it.

and you gotta let go of hugh jessimen, seriously, its not an excuse anymore
our drafting has been great since gordie clarke
get over it already
id rather build up our prospects (highly regarded amongst the best) and continue our youth movement

Old
04-30-2010, 08:23 PM
FOXHOUND*

Quote:
I kind of agree...But half of the teams you just mentioned are better than us. Don't get all holier than thou because we're the "New York Rangers".
Toronto is not better than us
Atlanta is not better than us
tampa bay is not better than us
The Panthers, The Oilers, The Stars, Minnesota

the point of what im saying is that making the playoffs is a goal for teams who haven't been there in awhile
we're past that
now if we go another 7 years without an appearence, then thats a goal for us
but not after we've been there, its time to go to the next step

Old
04-30-2010, 08:25 PM
McDonaghisGod
Oh, the pain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
I don't think Montreal matches up well with Pittsburgh at all.

I don't think we would've matched up well either, but we would've been a little better.

The way we were playing the last few weeks though, I would've loved for the Rangers to be a part of the playoffs. It's really anyone's conference in the East, with Pittsburgh the favorites only because they're the only team anyone knows much about really.

I just never understand how a fan can root for losses regardless of the state of the team. Especially when the team never really got THAT far out of the playoff picture. I guess I can understand it when the team is like Edmonton this year.

We're fans, not GM's.
We have never matched up well against Pittsburgh. In fact, we have never beaten them in a playoff series.

Old
04-30-2010, 08:25 PM
hlundqvist30*

Quote:
My point to both of you is that while I may not disagree with your logic or strategy it's not going to happen.

You can wish and hope and pray and plead and cry. It's not going to happen. Glen Sather. James Dolan. These people will not allow this to happen.

And even if they did I absolutely beg you to tell me that you have faith in them to rebuild the way you want them to.

You can hope all you want, but the fact of the matter is what you're hoping for is practically impossible.

Tigers don't change their stripes.

I'd rather see this team in the playoffs and get to enjoy them a little longer each season.

If this team had the #1 overall pick this year I wouldn't trust them to not **** it up. That's how poor they are.
What are you talking about? The Rangers have been absolutely money in the draft since the lockout. Outside of Lafleur they haven't made a single devestatingly bad draft pick. The best prospects Sather has gotten rid of are Tom Pyatt and MA Cliche. The core of this team is filled with players the Rangers have developed; Lundqvist, Staal, Girardi, Del Zotto, Anisimov, Callahan, Dubinsky...

The shortcomings have come through FA. The Rangers need a top pairing defenseman so they overpay Redden. The Rangers need a 1st line center so they overpay Gomez and Drury.

Here's a thought. If the Rangers add a guy like Fowler or Gubranson, then that's one less hole that the Rangers are required to fill externally. If the Rangers had drafted an Eric Staal then the Gomez/Drury signings wouldn't have been necessary. By drafting a top level guy now we're not only getting younger and filling a current need, but we're also preventing Sather from making a dumb move.

And you're being completely hypocritical. You're all about how a tiger doesn't "change his stripes." Does that not apply to the Rangers? Am I supposed to belief that the Rangers are going to "change their stripes" in the playoffs and suddenly become a good team?

If your basis for wanting the Rangers to squeek into the playoffs is that you don't "trust Glen Sather with a top draft pick" then you're being absolutely idiotic. Glen Sather has not had a top 10 pick since the lockout. Who knows how the Rangers will do with one? Maybe it succeeds. Maybe not. What I DO KNOW is that Glen Sather HAS tried the "anything can happen" approach for a now 4th year in a row, and for a 4th year in a row it failed miserably.

"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."

-Albert Einstein

The Cinderella Run attempt has failed 4 years in a row. I have absolutely no reason to believe why it would work after the 5th year. It's just doing the same thing over and over, and expecting different results. Maybe the top 10 pick fails. Maybe it doesn't The least we can do is try different things.

Old
04-30-2010, 08:36 PM
TheRedViper

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlundqvist30 View Post
What are you talking about? The Rangers have been absolutely money in the draft since the lockout. Outside of Lafleur they haven't made a single devestatingly bad draft pick. The best prospects Sather has gotten rid of are Tom Pyatt and MA Cliche. The core of this team is filled with players the Rangers have developed; Lundqvist, Staal, Girardi, Del Zotto, Anisimov, Callahan, Dubinsky...

The shortcomings have come through FA. The Rangers need a top pairing defenseman so they overpay Redden. The Rangers need a 1st line center so they overpay Gomez and Drury.

Here's a thought. If the Rangers add a guy like Fowler or Gubranson, then that's one less hole that the Rangers are required to fill externally. If the Rangers had drafted an Eric Staal then the Gomez/Drury signings wouldn't have been necessary. By drafting a top level guy now we're not only getting younger and filling a current need, but we're also preventing Sather from making a dumb move.

And you're being completely hypocritical. You're all about how a tiger doesn't "change his stripes." Does that not apply to the Rangers? Am I supposed to belief that the Rangers are going to "change their stripes" in the playoffs and suddenly become a good team?

If your basis for wanting the Rangers to squeek into the playoffs is that you don't "trust Glen Sather with a top draft pick" then you're being absolutely idiotic. Glen Sather has not had a top 10 pick since the lockout. Who knows how the Rangers will do with one? Maybe it succeeds. Maybe not. What I DO KNOW is that Glen Sather HAS tried the "anything can happen" approach for a now 4th year in a row, and for a 4th year in a row it failed miserably.

"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."

-Albert Einstein

The Cinderella Run attempt has failed 4 years in a row. I have absolutely no reason to believe why it would work after the 5th year. It's just doing the same thing over and over, and expecting different results. Maybe the top 10 pick fails. Maybe it doesn't The least we can do is try different things.

I do not think you missed ANYTHING

Old
04-30-2010, 08:37 PM
McDonaghisGod
Oh, the pain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlundqvist30 View Post

-Albert Einstein

Brilliant post.

Old
04-30-2010, 08:50 PM
turcotte8

Quote:
So in the end the difference between almost all of you and me is that tonight, I'd rather be watching a Rangers hockey game.

And you all would rather be hoping that a top 5 pick actually turned into something so that you could be watching the Rangers play hockey five years from now.

Glad we got that covered.
So you'd rather watch 4-7 more Ranger games this year than have a top pick, a player like a Stamkos, Duchene, Tavares, on the team for the next decade or so?

Old
04-30-2010, 09:11 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

You're kidding me, right?

This is sad. Those who subscribe to the "anything can happen" theory are SO desperate for it to be true that they start a thread on the subject after the first round? hlundqvist30's posts #44 and #54 really should have ended this conversation.

Old
04-30-2010, 09:14 PM
Kel Varnsen
Below:Glass's Skill

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
You're kidding me, right?

This is sad. Those who subscribe to the "anything can happen" theory are SO desperate for it to be true that they start a thread on the subject after the first round? hlundqvist30's posts #44 and #54 really should have ended this conversation.
You put us in a group with the current group from the east that are still alive, you really think there's no way we could possibly emerge from it?

Old
04-30-2010, 09:16 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

I feel so ashamed that I wasn't trying to make the playoffs.

The Rangers, OTOH, certainly looked like they were trying to make the playoffs.

Old
04-30-2010, 09:29 PM
TheRedViper

Quote:
Originally Posted by genericnyrusername View Post
You put us in a group with the current group from the east that are still alive, you really think there's no way we could possibly emerge from it?
Our team wouldn't have made it out of the original 8. So putting us with the current group of teams doesn't matter...

Washington would've abused us.

Old
04-30-2010, 09:37 PM
Kel Varnsen
Below:Glass's Skill

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers1024 View Post
Our team wouldn't have made it out of the original 8. So putting us with the current group of teams doesn't matter...

Washington would've abused us.
We almost beat them the year before and mtl beat them this year. I don't think it's a reach to say we would have had a shot this year especially with how hot we were going into the playoffs.

Old
04-30-2010, 09:41 PM
FOXHOUND*

Quote:
We almost beat them the year before and mtl beat them this year. I don't think it's a reach to say we would have had a shot this year especially with how hot we were going into the playoffs.
last years rangers are not equal to this years rangers, get that out of your head

Old
04-30-2010, 09:43 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Yes, we would have had a shot. Probably not as good a shot as we had last year, but a shot nonetheless. And if we pulled off the upset do you really think we would then go on to beat the defending champs? Really, deep down, did you see that happening?

Old
04-30-2010, 09:46 PM
TheRedViper

Quote:
Callahan+ Avery were still out. Hank was beat. Gabby was on some kind of a cold streak, our D is thinner than paper...

Old
04-30-2010, 10:21 PM
Synergy27

Quote:
What people are failing to realize here is that the of the 4 remaining seeds in the east, 3 of them were expected to be challenging for the top spots before the season started.

Philly. Many people, including several who have posted in this thread, picked the Flyers to win the Atlantic division. This is a really good team that underachieved all season, for a variety of reasons including injuries, and is simply jelling at the right time.

Boston. The Bruins finished first in the Eastern Conference last season. People expected a step back with the loss of Kessel, but a team anchored by Chara with a great goalie in Rask is just not your typical 6 seed.

Penguins. The defending Stanley Cup champions. If you really thought that Washington, New Jersey and Buffalo were better than the Penguins, then I really don't know what to say to you.

Montreal. They're a true bottom seed. Decent team, but literally the only way they can win it all is if Halak or whoever is in net plays out of his mind for two months. One series is nice, but there are three more to go.

The bottom line is that it is just not a good idea to look at the Habs upset and start getting all sentimental about what could have been. They got a nice dose of reality tonight, and I really don't think any of the other round 1 wins should be or are considered big time upsets by any means. There is a HUGE difference between the current Rangers and both Philly and Boston, please don't lose sight of that.

Old
04-30-2010, 11:00 PM
ThirdEye

Not this year, sorry to burst your bubble

1. Lundqvist's knees were toast, which has been confirmed.
2. Gaborik was probably injured
3. We don't have a Markov or even a Bergeron running our PP. Michael del Zotto is good, but he's still way too young

Weren't Callahan and Avery done for the season also? We wouldn't have won. I wish we made the playoffs but I'm not going to lose sleep over it. Even if we had somehow beat Washington we wouldn't have beaten Pittsburgh

Old
04-30-2010, 11:31 PM
McDonaghisGod
Oh, the pain!

Quote:
We were only hot because the majority of our games down the stretch were against the doormats of the conference.

Old
05-01-2010, 01:29 AM
Garfinkel1

Remember when....

I said anything could happen in the playoffs and with a goalie like Henrik we could do anything?

Remember when Halak played out of his mind and won the MTL/WSH series single handedely? (sp?)

Remember when it became possible that upsets happen and to intentionally miss the playoffs, like many of you do, would not give us a chance to even try and advance?

In other words;
Remember when making the playoffs meant you had a shot at the cup?

Don't forget... Upsets happen and with a goalie like Hank every year we have a chance...

Old
05-01-2010, 01:38 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfinkel1 View Post
Remember when....

I said anything could happen in the playoffs and with a goalie like Henrik we could do anything?

Remember when Halak played out of his mind and won the MTL/WSH series single handedely? (sp?)

Remember when it became possible that upsets happen and to intentionally miss the playoffs, like many of you do, would not give us a chance to even try and advance?

In other words;
Remember when making the playoffs meant you had a shot at the cup?

Don't forget... Upsets happen and with a goalie like Hank every year we have a chance...
totally agreed.

Old
05-01-2010, 02:22 AM
OrbitalDynamics

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBurd View Post
Define "anything".
Minnesota North Stars circa 1991.

Old
05-01-2010, 02:39 AM
McDonaghisGod
Oh, the pain!

If your mantra going into a playoff run is "anything can happen", then your team isn't very good.

Old
05-01-2010, 03:50 AM
NJrocket24

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeetchisGod View Post
If your mantra going into a playoff run is "anything can happen", then your team isn't very good.
A losers mentality. Winners make things happen. Losers bank on anything can happen and catching all the right breaks. Winners make their own luck.

Old
05-01-2010, 03:53 AM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeetchisGod View Post
Pittsburgh is a playoff tested team with 2 of the best 3 players in the world. They are not losing to the Habs. Book it!
Gee, well 2 weeks ago if anyone said the habs would beat the caps people would ridicule them and tell them they're nuts.

I'm pretty sure everyone already penciled in the caps playing someone in round 2 at the start of the playoffs. Of course, I'd say it's UNLIKELY the habs will beat the penguins, but it was pretty damn unlikely the habs would beat the capitals.

If halak can keep it up they can do it. He held the caps to 3 goals over 3 games versus one of the best offenses in the league.

Old
05-01-2010, 05:42 AM
turcotte8

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalDynamics View Post
Minnesota North Stars circa 1991.
Yeah remember when they upset the Pens and won the cup, oh wait...

Closed Thread