HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rd. 2, Gm. 1: Flyers @ Bruins - May 1, 2010 - 12:30 PM (ET)

Closed Thread

Old
05-01-2010, 03:07 PM
RoDu

vCash: 500
Briere, is not a good responsible defensively minded forward in any which way, that's why he was moved to wing two years ago

Old
05-01-2010, 03:10 PM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by PycckuuRocket10 View Post
Briere DID messup quite a bit tonight defensively, but he is a solid defensive forward, with the exception of tonight. And he is a playoff performer, which is a reason we are paying him so much. I am one of the few guys on here who doesnt mind Briere, but he cant be getting all the blame like Spongolium said. Hartnell always deserves blame, just because of how useless he is. Powe should have had at least a goal. He had tons of opportunities and couldnt make up for them.
wow.....wow

Old
05-01-2010, 03:10 PM
JSTAFF

Not quite sure how people are blaming the OT goal on Briere. All Boucher had to do was cover the puck. The Bruins are the worst team in this series, we will win the series in 6, no worries.

Old
05-01-2010, 03:15 PM
Jester

Quote:
Briere DID messup quite a bit tonight defensively, but he is a solid defensive forward, with the exception of tonight. And he is a playoff performer, which is a reason we are paying him so much. I am one of the few guys on here who doesnt mind Briere, but he cant be getting all the blame like Spongolium said. Hartnell always deserves blame, just because of how useless he is. Powe should have had at least a goal. He had tons of opportunities and couldnt make up for them.
Sarcasm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSTAFF View Post
Not quite sure how people are blaming the OT goal on Briere. All Boucher had to do was cover the puck. The Bruins are the worst team in this series, we will win the series in 6, no worries.
I'm concerned about the lack of depth in our bottom 6 with all these injuries... hopefully Gagne can come back real quick.

After the 1st period, though, we were right in that game.

Old
05-01-2010, 03:22 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 625
I think Briere can up his defensive awareness this time of year, but I still don't want him out there against the other team's top offensive line.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
Old
05-01-2010, 03:22 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Sarcasm?

I'm concerned about the lack of depth in our bottom 6 with all these injuries... hopefully Gagne can come back real quick.

After the 1st period, though, we were right in that game.
Briere isnt as terrible as everyone is giving him credit for.

As for our bottom 6, I am with you on that Jester. Guys like Nodl and Ross, even though they didnt play alot, have no business being there. If Gags comes back in the middle of this series, it will certainly bolster our forward depth. Nodl played like crap today except for maybe one shift in the OT where he actually fought hard against the boards, but I dont think he deserves to be there. Same with Ross. I would take Kalinski first, obviously, but I am not sure who to sub out Nodl with.

Old
05-01-2010, 03:24 PM
claude boivin lives
flat out spectacular

If Briere is at center next game, I think I'll have to find out where Lavi lives. Lavi is a ****ing moron for putting him there in the first place, and I can't even describe how I feel about the fact that he left him there after not one, but two GIGANTIC ****ing blunders...and then I have to ****ing sit there and watch him **** up yet again in OT. Only Briere could set up a goal and then score an unbelievable one like he did today, yet still hurt the team more than help it. Since we're stuck with him, they desperately need to make the effort to consistently put him in a position to have as little defensive responsibility as possible. As an NHL forward, he's currently as bad defensively as any I've seen. Watching him float around in the d-zone not knowing what to do with himself makes me want to scratch my ****ing eyes out. It's ****ing nightmarish, at least put him on the wing, for ****'s sake.

Old
05-01-2010, 03:25 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSTAFF View Post
Except for the first period, they certainly looked that way. The only thing I would be nervous about is their PK and our PP. I mean we managed to score 2 PP goals today but I dont think that can go on much longer. The way they broke down our opportunities on most of our PP's was actually pretty amazing to see.

Old
05-01-2010, 03:25 PM
Jester

Quote:
Briere isnt as terrible as everyone is giving him credit for.
No, he's that bad. He's weak physically which is a matchup problem, and he has a serious effort problem defensively as well.

Old
05-01-2010, 03:30 PM
Flyerfan808

If they would have told me before the game that the Flyers were going to score 4 goals today, I would have conceded victory. We had a chance to steal one tonight and we blew it: Simple as that. I have confidence that Lavi will make adjustments and I expect this team to play MUCH better defensively in game 2.

Leino, Richards, and Giroux played amazing today. I thought Coby / Carle did well when they jumped up in the play. JVR needs to step his game up. Hartnell needs to get on the scoresheet and Briere, despite his offensive performance is the goat tonight.

Old
05-01-2010, 03:34 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by claude boivin lives View Post
If Briere is at center next game, I think I'll have to find out where Lavi lives. Lavi is a ****ing moron for putting him there in the first place, and I can't even describe how I feel about the fact that he left him there after not one, but two GIGANTIC ****ing blunders...and then I have to ****ing sit there and watch him **** up yet again in OT. Only Briere could set up a goal and then score an unbelievable one like he did today, yet still hurt the team more than help it. Since we're stuck with him, they desperately need to make the effort to consistently put him in a position to have as little defensive responsibility as possible. As an NHL forward, he's currently as bad defensively as any I've seen. Watching him float around in the d-zone not knowing what to do with himself makes me want to scratch my ****ing eyes out. It's ****ing nightmarish, at least put him on the wing, for ****'s sake.
Yeah, but who else plays C?

I mean, the Carter injury just ****ed us, of course it doesn't help that Malhotra (the guy we all wanted) has been tearing it up in SJ.

It is what it is, Lavi doesn't have any other options really unless you want Powe playing 17 minutes per game.

Old
05-01-2010, 03:34 PM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

Great game by the Flyers. My heart about stopped when Briere tied it up and then you guys had that big scoring chance in the last minute. Thank God Tuukka stopped that, otherwise this woulda been a very different result.

if anyone on the Bruins fan board thought that the injuries would hamstring Philly and stop this from being a competitive series they don't think so anymore.

Old
05-01-2010, 03:36 PM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

So I come here to be sportsmanlike and get undermined by another fan talking trash.

Such is fandom. You don't get to choose who's in the seat behind you.

Old
05-01-2010, 03:40 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
Great game by the Flyers. My heart about stopped when Briere tied it up and then you guys had that big scoring chance in the last minute. Thank God Tuukka stopped that, otherwise this woulda been a very different result.

if anyone on the Bruins fan board thought that the injuries would hamstring Philly and stop this from being a competitive series they don't think so anymore.
One team has to win this series, but if we get six more games like that, both teams' fans win.

Old
05-01-2010, 03:40 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 2373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
So I come here to be sportsmanlike and get undermined by another fan talking trash.

Such is fandom. You don't get to choose who's in the seat behind you.
Situation resolved.

Old
05-01-2010, 03:41 PM
Flyerfan808

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post

I mean, the Carter injury just ****ed us, of course it doesn't help that Malhotra (the guy we all wanted) has been tearing it up in SJ.

It is what it is, Lavi doesn't have any other options really unless you want Powe playing 17 minutes per game.
How is this relevant?

Old
05-01-2010, 03:48 PM
claude boivin lives
flat out spectacular

Quote:

Giroux! For ****'s sake, Giroux! Whether he's better on the wing or not(which I still think is highly debatable), he's miles more reliable than Briere as a center in the defensive zone. It's certainly not ideal, but it's a FARRR better option than what we saw today. And hell, give Powe more time too. I'll take him as the third line C...I'd be fine with Kalinski as the third line C as well. Before today, I wanted something more like this...

Briere-Richards-Carcillo
JVR-Giroux-Leino
Hartnell-Powe-Asham
Kalinski-Betts-Nodl

I wouldn't be terribly opposed to switching Powe and Kalinski in the above if Kalinski is looking good. Ross is ok, but sometimes ok isn't good enough, so he'd be out. I might also be open to switching Hartnell and Carcillo in that above scenario too. For all of Hartnell's countless ****ups, I still can't help but feel that we have to keep trying to get him contributing offensively, especially with all the injuries now. He seems to have already proven that he can't be relied on...but with the injuries we almost don't have a choice.

And I'm not ****ing done *****ing about Briere, I'd like to knock him the **** out. The performance he gave today would have been unbelievably difficult to swallow even if he were our lowest paid player. The fact that our highest paid player performed that way is just mind-numbing.

Old
05-01-2010, 03:49 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan808 View Post
How is this relevant?
...if we'd signed him, he'd presumably be playing...

Old
05-01-2010, 04:01 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:

We wanted Malhotra to do what Betts is doing now. Malhotra is playing a larger role on his team, but he was also supposed to be asking for 2mill +. Betts was the guy we needed and we got him.

Quote:
Giroux! For ****'s sake, Giroux! Whether he's better on the wing or not(which I still think is highly debatable), he's miles more reliable than Briere as a center in the defensive zone. It's certainly not ideal, but it's a FARRR better option than what we saw today. And hell, give Powe more time too. I'll take him as the third line C...I'd be fine with Kalinski as the third line C as well. Before today, I wanted something more like this...

Briere-Richards-Carcillo
JVR-Giroux-Leino
Hartnell-Powe-Asham
Kalinski-Betts-Nodl
Betts> Kalinski for 3rd line duties. He isn't an offensive force, but he is reliable and he skates till his balls hit the ice.

Briere - Richards - Carcillo
JVR - Giroux - Leino
Hartnell - Betts - Asham
Kalinski - Powe - Nodl

Jesus Christ our forward corp looks awful without Carter and Gagne in there.

Old
05-01-2010, 04:05 PM
claude boivin lives
flat out spectacular

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am The Mush View Post
Betts> Kalinski for 3rd line duties. He isn't an offensive force, but he is reliable and he skates till his balls hit the ice.

Briere - Richards - Carcillo
JVR - Giroux - Leino
Hartnell - Betts - Asham
Kalinski - Powe - Nodl

Jesus Christ our forward corp looks awful without Carter and Gagne in there.
I'm not terribly opposed to that either. That, or the stuff I said are all options that will make me plenty happy compared to today.

Old
05-01-2010, 04:09 PM
Amateur Hour

Quote:

Giroux. Which is how it should have been today, anyway.

He better be the second line center for Game 2.

Last edited by Amateur Hour: 05-01-2010 at 04:27 PM.
Old
05-01-2010, 04:17 PM
Flyerfan808

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
...if we'd signed him, he'd presumably be playing...
I get what you're both saying:

Sure we could have signed him in the offseason, but we didn't. I'm not sure if Homer threw an offer at him, and he turned us down to go play in San Jose for a "better" shot at the Cup. Or maybe Homer didn't even TRY to sign him.

Either way it doesn't change the fact that he is not on our team. So lamenting about it doesn't help.

Old
05-01-2010, 04:17 PM
FlyHigh

Quote:

Briere-Richards-Carcillo
JVR-Giroux-Leino
Hartnell-Powe-Asham
Kalinski-Betts-Nodl

I wouldn't be terribly opposed to switching Powe and Kalinski in the above if Kalinski is looking good. Ross is ok, but sometimes ok isn't good enough, so he'd be out. I might also be open to switching Hartnell and Carcillo in that above scenario too. For all of Hartnell's countless ****ups, I still can't help but feel that we have to keep trying to get him contributing offensively, especially with all the injuries now. He seems to have already proven that he can't be relied on...but with the injuries we almost don't have a choice.

And I'm not ****ing done *****ing about Briere, I'd like to knock him the **** out. The performance he gave today would have been unbelievably difficult to swallow even if he were our lowest paid player. The fact that our highest paid player performed that way is just mind-numbing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hour View Post
Giroux. Which is how it should have been today, anyway.
I think Giroux was playing a bit of center today actually, the problem right now is that the bottom 6 lines are an absolute cluster**** and things are going willy-nilly.

I mean, Roo is bad defensively at C as well and I'm not sold on Danny B defensively at C at all obviously, I'd do something like this.

Carcillo-Richie-Leino
JVR-Briere-Hartnell
Nodl-Giroux-Asham
sub in-Betts-Powe

I know we're putting Giroux and Richie with some crap there, but I really do not think Powe can play C in this series, we can have him go out there and play 16-18 minutes on the 3rd line/PK and expect to win, we just have to work with what we have which unfortunately is pretty bad.

I don't buy bumping Betts up to the 3rd line, he's good at what he does, but if you start asking him to play 11-12 ES minutes plus PK, some limitations are going to be exposed.

I was actually impressed with Nodl today, he's still weak in the corners, but I thought he did a good job overall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am The Mush View Post
We wanted Malhotra to do what Betts is doing now. Malhotra is playing a larger role on his team, but he was also supposed to be asking for 2mill +. Betts was the guy we needed and we got him.
Malhotra is making 700K and I mean, if we have Malhotra right now, I like us to win the series as opposed to being up ****'s creek.

Hell, if we went in with a real 3rd line, this season could have gone very differently.

Old
05-01-2010, 04:25 PM
claude boivin lives
flat out spectacular

^^^Dude, did you watch the game today? I'd rather have Coatesy strap some skates on and play C than send Briere out there at C for another game?

We have better options.

Bergeron's goal and Krejci's goal...they belong in beginner's instructional videos...for mites. Here's exactly what not to do kids...we found the ugliest example we could. I can't believe I watched both of those without breaking anything. I'm still trying to understand how Briere has been playing hockey as long as he has and could handle those situations THAT poorly. Especially the Krejci goal...I just....ugh, speechless.

Last edited by claude boivin lives: 05-01-2010 at 04:31 PM.
Old
05-01-2010, 04:34 PM
FlyHigh

Quote:
^^^Dude, did you watch the game today? I'd rather have Coatesy strap some skates on and play C than send Briere out there at C for another game?

We have better options.

Bergeron's goal and Krejci's goal...they belong in beginner's instructional videos...for mites. Here's exactly what not to do kids...we found the ugliest example we could. I can't believe I watched both of those without breaking anything. I'm still trying to understand how Briere has been playing hockey as long as he has and could handle those situations THAT poorly. Especially the Krejci goal...I just....ugh, speechless.
What better options?

We have 3 guys to fill 2 spots.

1) Briere - awful defensively, good offensively.
2) Giroux - Not as bad defensively, but pretty bad, good offensively.
3) Powe - Awful offensively, cannot complete passes or maintain possession which in my opinion leads to hurting him defensively seeing as his line can't really play in the neutral zone or the offensive zone.

At least we can somewhat try to protect Giroux and Briere. Powe is a strong 4th line RW, but not a guy I want out there on the 3rd out at all, I don't think he can handle that much ice-time.

Look, like I said, it's a sucky situation, but if we at least put Briere with strong, big guys, maybe we can get away with it. Putting him with Leino just makes zero sense.

Closed Thread