HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Notices

Brent Burns

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-30-2010, 08:38 PM
  #1
Jussha
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,540
vCash: 500
Brent Burns

Hey Wild fans, Wings fans just wondering what it would take to get Brent Burns from you.

After the whole concussion incident that happened and his agent getting pissed off with the team, I was wondering if you guys thought Burns would want to stay with the team after his contract ends?

If not, who would you want in a trade for him. Detroit rarely trades roster players these days its seems so I think really all detroit could offer are prospects and picks, but I figure that probably isn't enough,

but would

Jakub Kindl + 2nd round pick + forward prospect get consideration you think from your GM or not at all?

Jussha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2010, 11:42 PM
  #2
mnwildgophers
Registered User
 
mnwildgophers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: MN
Country: United States
Posts: 4,497
vCash: 500
We could think about trading Burns, but I don't see it happening anytime soon. If we trade him, I'd think it'd be for a forward ready to produce now at the NHL level.

mnwildgophers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2010, 07:31 AM
  #3
BigT2002
Registered User
 
BigT2002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: some other continent
Country: United States
Posts: 12,524
vCash: 50
Filpulla needs to be added. In case you didn't know, we are going to be the new Finnish National Team in between Olympics

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2010, 07:06 PM
  #4
saywut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,084
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussha View Post
Hey Wild fans, Wings fans just wondering what it would take to get Brent Burns from you.

After the whole concussion incident that happened and his agent getting pissed off with the team, I was wondering if you guys thought Burns would want to stay with the team after his contract ends?

If not, who would you want in a trade for him. Detroit rarely trades roster players these days its seems so I think really all detroit could offer are prospects and picks, but I figure that probably isn't enough,

but would

Jakub Kindl + 2nd round pick + forward prospect get consideration you think from your GM or not at all?
1 year/GM late on that.
We aren't going to trade Burns unless its for a proven top-6 young forward. GMCF has stated he wants to build the defense around Brent Burns.

saywut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2010, 10:57 AM
  #5
mnwildgophers
Registered User
 
mnwildgophers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: MN
Country: United States
Posts: 4,497
vCash: 500
Plus I think most of us like a Burns-Barker pairing to go with a Zanon-Zidlicky pairing as our top 4, with Schultz filling in on the PK and such. I like the way our D-men look like, but we need some help up front. Not seeing much coming our way for Burns though.

mnwildgophers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2010, 03:27 PM
  #6
Wildlife
Registered User
 
Wildlife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 373
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnwildgophers View Post
Plus I think most of us like a Burns-Barker pairing to go with a Zanon-Zidlicky pairing as our top 4, with Schultz filling in on the PK and such. I like the way our D-men look like, but we need some help up front. Not seeing much coming our way for Burns though.
Now if only Scandella makes the team out of camp and can be paired with Schultz we can keep our alliterations going.

Wildlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2010, 05:29 PM
  #7
mnwildgophers
Registered User
 
mnwildgophers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: MN
Country: United States
Posts: 4,497
vCash: 500
We already got Schultz-Stoner, so it's a win-win.

mnwildgophers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2010, 08:38 PM
  #8
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness
 
firstroundbust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Parts Unknown
Country: United States
Posts: 5,641
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnwildgophers View Post
Plus I think most of us like a Burns-Barker pairing to go with a Zanon-Zidlicky pairing as our top 4, with Schultz filling in on the PK and such. I like the way our D-men look like, but we need some help up front. Not seeing much coming our way for Burns though.
I don't care if he's making 4 mil a year, I'd rather have Schultz playing top 4 minutes over Zidlicky.

Say it with me...POWER...PLAY...SPECIALIST. Nothing against Z, but he is what he is, and he's just too defensively inconsistent to warrant playing against other team's top 6, especially when the games are on the line late.
Maybe its because Zanon, who had played with Z in Nashville, covered up for some of mistakes and gambles, but he's just not what I'd want playing 20+ a game.

firstroundbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2010, 09:00 PM
  #9
mnwildgophers
Registered User
 
mnwildgophers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: MN
Country: United States
Posts: 4,497
vCash: 500
Yes, Z is prone to mistakes, but I think if last year was any indication, it is that Z will be getting 20 mins. a night because that's what Richards gives him.

mnwildgophers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2010, 11:17 PM
  #10
GopherState
Repeat Offender...
 
GopherState's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: X Marks The Spot
Posts: 22,783
vCash: 500
I wouldn't do the deal because it doesn't help the Wild now or in the future. Kindl is Detroit's top prospect but the last thing in the world Minnesota needs is another top defenseman prospect given that's all they have (along with four young NHL blue-liners signed to long-term deals). If Burns gets traded, which I don't see happening, it would be for something up front like a proven top-six player and a pick.

__________________
Blog: First Round Bust: A Cast of Thousands celebrating a rather dodgy track record of Minnesota Wild Drafting.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 05:58 PM
  #11
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness
 
firstroundbust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Parts Unknown
Country: United States
Posts: 5,641
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnwildgophers View Post
Yes, Z is prone to mistakes, but I think if last year was any indication, it is that Z will be getting 20 mins. a night because that's what Richards gives him.
...and because Brent Burns was on the shelf with various maladies.

firstroundbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 10:29 PM
  #12
Goldy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 189
vCash: 500
There are still some significant holes to fill before we are a legit cup contender - we shouldn't fool ourselves. I think it is unrealistic to expect we'll be there in the next 2 years. I'm all for the big picture and focusing on 2012-13 and beyond. If that means trading Burns for future players, I'm fine with that. That being said, I do like Burns and if we keep him I am happy as well.

Goldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 02:58 PM
  #13
saywut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,084
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnwildgophers View Post
Plus I think most of us like a Burns-Barker pairing to go with a Zanon-Zidlicky pairing as our top 4, with Schultz filling in on the PK and such. I like the way our D-men look like, but we need some help up front. Not seeing much coming our way for Burns though.
I don't, but its not going to change. GMCF sees something in Barker/Zidlicky that I have not. Trading a contract like Nick Schultz's is no easy matter as well.

I do like Scandella/Cuma for the future though.

saywut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2010, 04:05 PM
  #14
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 23,593
vCash: 500
If he doesn't have a better season, I can see him getting traded at the deadline (UFA in two summers). He's got talent for sure, but he needs to own the ability to shutdown his opponents. He's done it in the past, but the last two years of the position swapping, injuries, and new system have hurt him. Just needs to keep it simple.

Zidlicky should be fine as a top four paired with Zanon. I have a hunch his awful play down the stretch was the result of his arm injury, like Havlat's "slow start" was likely his groin injury.

What I would love is for the Wild to have one of Scandella/Cuma come in and challenge for a top four spot in the next two years. We desperately need a guy who can move the puck well and play strong defensively. Yes, we had Johnsson, but about $1.5m more than he should have made.

I would LOVE to see the Wild move Schultz. He is not a solid defenseman, he's mediocre, and he's making too much money for his role.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2010, 09:24 PM
  #15
countrygentleman
John Frusciante
 
countrygentleman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 753
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
If he doesn't have a better season, I can see him getting traded at the deadline (UFA in two summers). He's got talent for sure, but he needs to own the ability to shutdown his opponents. He's done it in the past, but the last two years of the position swapping, injuries, and new system have hurt him. Just needs to keep it simple.

Zidlicky should be fine as a top four paired with Zanon. I have a hunch his awful play down the stretch was the result of his arm injury, like Havlat's "slow start" was likely his groin injury.

What I would love is for the Wild to have one of Scandella/Cuma come in and challenge for a top four spot in the next two years. We desperately need a guy who can move the puck well and play strong defensively. Yes, we had Johnsson, but about $1.5m more than he should have made.

I would LOVE to see the Wild move Schultz. He is not a solid defenseman, he's mediocre, and he's making too much money for his role.
Or it was the fact that coach Richards was also figuring out the whole coaching scene and put Havlat on the fourth line with Boogaard at one point, if he played at all.

countrygentleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 01:54 PM
  #16
Sabreality
Registered User
 
Sabreality's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,826
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldy View Post
There are still some significant holes to fill before we are a legit cup contender - we shouldn't fool ourselves. I think it is unrealistic to expect we'll be there in the next 2 years. I'm all for the big picture and focusing on 2012-13 and beyond. If that means trading Burns for future players, I'm fine with that. That being said, I do like Burns and if we keep him I am happy as well.
Sabres fan coming in peace...i was curious to see if i'd find an attitude like this regarding Burns. Slugs desperately need a PP QB, and even with Burns caphit and injury history, i'm intrigued by the idea of acquiring him.

Would Drew Stafford, a guy from the region and someone who could use a change of scenery (Lindys whipping boy), while still having upside and top 6 potential be of any interest? How much would we have to add? Sekera or Butler perhaps?

Thanks and good luck, i typically root for the Wild out west.

Sabreality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 01:58 PM
  #17
GopherState
Repeat Offender...
 
GopherState's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: X Marks The Spot
Posts: 22,783
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabreality View Post
Sabres fan coming in peace...i was curious to see if i'd find an attitude like this regarding Burns. Slugs desperately need a PP QB, and even with Burns caphit and injury history, i'm intrigued by the idea of acquiring him.

Would Drew Stafford, a guy from the region and someone who could use a change of scenery (Lindys whipping boy), while still having upside and top 6 potential be of any interest? How much would we have to add? Sekera or Butler perhaps?

Thanks and good luck, i typically root for the Wild out west.
For the record, being from Wisconsin is technically not "from the region" unless he played at the U or some other Minnesota school (sorry NoDak). And even then it's not really.

GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 02:05 PM
  #18
Sabreality
Registered User
 
Sabreality's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,826
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
For the record, being from Wisconsin is technically not "from the region" unless he played at the U or some other Minnesota school (sorry NoDak). And even then it's not really.
sorry, dont mean to offend, i just know a lot of folks in those areas that are Wild fans.

Sabreality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 02:07 PM
  #19
Dr Jan Itor
Registered User
 
Dr Jan Itor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: MinneSNOWta
Posts: 9,943
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabreality View Post
Sabres fan coming in peace...i was curious to see if i'd find an attitude like this regarding Burns. Slugs desperately need a PP QB, and even with Burns caphit and injury history, i'm intrigued by the idea of acquiring him.

Would Drew Stafford, a guy from the region and someone who could use a change of scenery (Lindys whipping boy), while still having upside and top 6 potential be of any interest? How much would we have to add? Sekera or Butler perhaps?

Thanks and good luck, i typically root for the Wild out west.
Isn't Tyler Myers your PP QB? Or are you thinking of Burns for the second unit?

Personally, I wouldn't be happy if I found out that we traded him for Stafford.

Dr Jan Itor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 02:12 PM
  #20
GopherState
Repeat Offender...
 
GopherState's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: X Marks The Spot
Posts: 22,783
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabreality View Post
sorry, dont mean to offend, i just know a lot of folks in those areas that are Wild fans.
It's fine.

GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 02:18 PM
  #21
Sabreality
Registered User
 
Sabreality's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,826
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jan Itor View Post
Isn't Tyler Myers your PP QB? Or are you thinking of Burns for the second unit?

Personally, I wouldn't be happy if I found out that we traded him for Stafford.
going forward, hopefully, but he didnt really excel there this season..but that could also be due to the underacheivers he played with. Regardless, Myers is the ONLY option they currently have, so even if one or the other ended up on the 2nd unit, its a need.

I hate giving up on Stafford, but a top 6 shakeup is needed (i also think he'd like a fresh start) and he offers some cap relief for you...i know you guys certainly arent interested in Connolly or Pominvilles cap hit.

Sabreality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 02:36 PM
  #22
mnwildgophers
Registered User
 
mnwildgophers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: MN
Country: United States
Posts: 4,497
vCash: 500
I just can't see us moving Burns at this point unless the return is ridiculous, we wouldn't be able to replace him at our PP points.

mnwildgophers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 02:59 PM
  #23
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 23,593
vCash: 500
Burns has a much higher ceiling than Stafford, who I really thought would have been a good target for a Gaborik trade a couple summers back.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 03:13 PM
  #24
Sabreality
Registered User
 
Sabreality's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,826
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Burns has a much higher ceiling than Stafford, who I really thought would have been a good target for a Gaborik trade a couple summers back.
no doubt. was just curious if he'd be an acceptable starting point, adding a Sekera, Butler or Weber, all of whom are NHL ready D-men with some upside, maybe could work?

i know these things are tough to propose in a vacuum, but with the Wilds potential rebuild? willingness to open some capspace? re-sign/sign UFA's? there are always variables to work out and risk to analyze.

Burns' upside is tremendous, but he has endured some injuries and is overpaid at this point...shedding a few million, getting a top 6 F and an at worst, solid bottom pair D guy..there could be a fit there.

Sabreality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 03:18 PM
  #25
mnwildgophers
Registered User
 
mnwildgophers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: MN
Country: United States
Posts: 4,497
vCash: 500
I think the majority of us Wild fans would rather hang onto Burns and take our chances. Like I think I said before, we probably won't move him unless vast overpayment. He is only 24? He got his issues corrected and really started to come on. I hope he has a great WC, I thought he was being considered for Team Canada before our horrible start.

mnwildgophers is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:15 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.