HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Righty or left... beginner

Old
05-05-2010, 07:06 AM
NJDwoot

vCash: 500
Righty or left... beginner

OK, the guy asking to switch from shooting right to shooting left got me thinking. I will be starting my hockey 101 class this week and have a right handed stick since... well im right handed.

So I've been watching NHL games trying to watch how rightys play and such and noticed there are NOT alot of rightys... atleast that I noticed. I was unaware that alot of right handed players shoot left....?

I know I will do what feels best but I'm curious to find out some good solid detail on why rightys shoot left. any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Devils.

NJDwoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2010, 08:41 AM
jagged

There is no reason.

I'm left handed and I shoot right.
I kick left
I punch left
I hold a gun with my left
I swing a bat with my right
I throw left

jagged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2010, 08:43 AM
Semper Sens

In Canada, most people put their dominant hand on top (meaning left-handed people shoot right and vice-versa). When you're stickhandling, the bottom hand is supposed to remain loose while the top hand does all the twisting, so this option is the "better" for stickhandling.

In the States, left handedness is seen as a sign of weakness or something lol, so all the right-handed people grab right-handed sticks, make their dominant hand at the bottom. This gives you more power on your shots, since your dominant hand will flex the stick, however it's harder to stickhandle.

At the end of the day, it doesn't really matter. If you shoot with your dominant hand low, your other hand is going to get used to turning the stick over and moving it. If you have your dominant hand high, your other hand is going to get used to flexing the stick. Once you've learned how to play, the effects are negligible. Ovechkin is right-handed and shoots right, and obviously he has a great shot and is an excellent stickhandler. On the other hand Crosby is right-handed and shoots left, and he also has a great shot and is a very good stickhandler.

Semper Sens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2010, 09:23 AM
Skraut

The best example I heard was to look at how your hands are when you shovel snow, or use a push broom, and do the same thing for your hockey stick.

I'm right handed, do everything right handed, but shoot left in hockey because I like my right hand at the top of my stick. The rest of my team is also right handed, and they all shoot right. I got lucky though, I went to the Hockey Hall of Fame in Toronto a while ago, and they had sticks and synthetic ice for shooting on. It was a slow day, and I spent about an hour there trying both and figuring out which I like better. If you have the extra $20 or so, grab a wooden stick going the other way. Play with both see which you like better.

Congrats on the Hockey 101 class, I took mine this past January, and have love every second on the ice since.

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2010, 09:38 AM
meanolthing

If you're still slightly unsure, consider getting a stick with a completely straight blade, that way you can shoot left or right at will. It might help you decide which side to shoot from. That's how I learned, just be careful not to get attached to a straight blade, or people will look at you funny :-P.

meanolthing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2010, 10:14 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

If you already have a cheap righty stick, grab a cheap lefty stick and a Smart Hockey ball. Try stickhandling with both and go with whatever's more comfortable.

If you've been playing any length of time with the righty stick, you'll probably feel better there, but most pure beginners should have an easier time controlling the puck with their dominant hand on top (lefty stick for you).

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2010, 11:08 AM
Jive Time

Loads of discussion here:

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t...ight+hand+left

Jive Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2010, 12:28 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Remember that you'll spend much more time stick handling and passing than shooting, so pick which you feel more comfortable doing the former with.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2010, 12:30 PM
XO
Valar Morghulis

Just go with what feels better for you.

I'm a right handed guy shooting right. Some say you benefit a better shot doing it but I don't know. Ovechkin and Stamkos does it and they are quite good.

XO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2010, 12:42 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Never Shout Never View Post
Just go with what feels better for you.

I'm a right handed guy shooting right. Some say you benefit a better shot doing it but I don't know. Ovechkin and Stamkos does it and they are quite good.
For adults who are just starting out, it's often a big help stick handling to keep your strong hand on top. Those two you mentioned started at birth, plus I think Ovechkin throws left handed?

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 12:05 AM
XO
Valar Morghulis

Quote:
Originally Posted by donGjohnson View Post
For adults who are just starting out, it's often a big help stick handling to keep your strong hand on top. Those two you mentioned started at birth, plus I think Ovechkin throws left handed?
Yeah, I was wrong about Ovechkin I think. Not sure tho. Kovalchuk shoots right and his dominant hand is right tho.

OT: you should go with your dominant hand on the top.

XO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 01:45 PM
shoeshine boy

best benefit about being a left-shooting hockey player: boatloads of pro stock sticks available for (usually) cheap at pro team equipment sales. at the Thrashesr sale one year i got a barely used Easton S17 (a $200 stick) for $10! my right-handed friends went home empty handed.

shoeshine boy is offline   Reply With Quote