HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GDT: Philadelphia Phantoms @ Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins: Game 4

Closed Thread

Old
05-11-2004, 04:54 PM
ej_pens

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ej_pens
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintRon
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if *PChic shows up here we will have the band back together.
I haven't heard from PChic in years.......

Old
05-11-2004, 05:01 PM
SaintRon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ej_penseditor
I haven't heard from PChic in years.......
I still delurk on the original board and she still posts occasionaly. She's probably busy attending Sharks playoff games.

Old
05-11-2004, 05:03 PM
ej_pens

Send a message via AIM to ej_pens
It's been months since I looked at that board. Not even sure I still have the address.

Tell her I said hi.

Old
05-11-2004, 06:38 PM
SaintRon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ej_penseditor
It's been months since I looked at that board. Not even sure I still have the address.

Tell her I said hi.
Haven't talked to her in a while. Don't stop by there much, just here and there.

Here's the addy if interested:

http://guestbooks.pathfinder.gr/read/TheRumorMill

Old
05-12-2004, 03:03 AM
Evilo

vCash: 432
Blondshine and Hockeynut are posting at LGP.com I think.
They were two other Pens fans from the old time.

Old
05-12-2004, 05:03 AM
stardog

Quote:
Originally Posted by clefty
Hey, 6 points and a +1 in your first 10 professional games can't be wrong.
I am not worried in the slightest about his offense....never was. It is his defense which concerns me and the +/- is in no way an indication of how well he is playing defensivley.
Like I said though. It sounds like he is doing great but Grace isnt exactly what one would call objective. A HUGE and blatant homer is more like it.
I will wait until I get to see him play before I completely dismiss both the scouting reports and what I saw with my own eyes before I pass judgement on how his game is in the pro's.

Old
05-12-2004, 05:08 AM
stardog

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKnowNothing
Yeah, but it's simple to tell when a guy is making mistakes. Grace overcalls Pens turnovers too, he's just overzealous about everything (which I don't mind). You can also tell this because Whitney has a good plus/minus, even though the vast majority of his points come from the power play. Bourque has also given Whitney rave reviews.

He's just playing very well. It's not Tom Grace hyping him up. Here's a quote I forgot to post from a very knowledgeable WBS fan that posts over at PP.com:

http://forums.pittsburghpenguins.com...=&fpart=2&vc=1
It is funny how this year alot of us (I know I did on many occasions) stated how the +/- is a worthless sta to rate how well one defends in his own zone. So just as I will not use a bad +/- to deem a person as a defensive liability, I wont use a positive one to rate his individual performance either.

As for the WBS fan, he may certainly be a very good scource yet I dont know him. I will defer to your judgement however since you are pretty reasonable and aren't what I would call a homer.
Still though, I would like to see him for myself before I can say that he has turned a corner.

Old
05-12-2004, 05:55 AM
clefty
What?

Okay, suit yourself. Just know that I didn't tell you his +/- as a means to say he was playing excellently defensively.

Old
05-12-2004, 07:14 AM
stardog

Quote:
Originally Posted by clefty
Okay, suit yourself. Just know that I didn't tell you his +/- as a means to say he was playing excellently defensively.
I didn't really think you did. You just put up his stats and I was pointing out that certain stats can be misleading (but you already knew that obviously).

And IS he playing excellent defensivley? I dont know, that is why I am asking.

As far as suiting myself, wouldnt you agree that actually seeing him would be a much more accurate way to judge him rather than listening to a game called by a guy who really is as unobjective as they come? I mean, I just dont want to "see" him through the eyes of Tom Grace if that makes any sense.

And also like I said, it really SOUNDS like he is doing a GREAT job. But in all honesty, I REALLY want to see the kid play and my only gripe is that Grace really is quite the homer. For my opinion, it is hard for me to trust him as having an unbiased opinion. And I have only listened to two of the WBS playoff games this year as well.

I REALLY hope the kid proves me wrong. And from the sound of things it looks like he has a better than even chance of doing just that. But from the "sound" of things isnt the greatest evaluator to go by obviously.
It also seems that WBS is playing very good defense as a team which would make it easier to cover up anyones mistakes (and that is just a thought, not any indictment of anyone in particular). Yet he IS a part of the team and he has certainly helped.

One thing all of us can agree on is that I (and everyone else) cant wait to see him play in the NHL and see how well he does.

BTW, does anyone know if he is finally starting to use his size to his benefit?

Old
05-12-2004, 11:38 AM
Jacob

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKnowNothing
Somebody call the WAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHBULANCE!!!!

http://pittsburghlive.com/x/tribune-.../s_193540.html

I think it's within the unwritten rules to complain about officiating, but why take shots at the play-by-play guy? That's kind of classless. What does Grace have to do with what's going on on the ice? (nothing)

Maybe he should knock on the guy that ripped his ticket stub too. And the girl that served him a lukewarm hotdog before the game.

I know a lot of the baby Penguins players are real good friends with Grace, so maybe this Stevens guy is just continuing to motivate them.

Last edited by Jacob: 05-12-2004 at 11:43 AM.
Old
05-12-2004, 02:32 PM
DJ Spinoza

Don't get me wrong stardog, I won't be totally sold until I see the smart defensive play for myself, either. I do trust the WBS fan who has seen him, and in general Tom Grace does overexaggerate both ways.

But, I don't think it's all that farfetched to say that Whitney has been much better at WBS for two main reasons:

1. Michel Therrien - Every player interviewed has said Therrien came in with a system, and has instilled it in all of them. Therrien has this reputation and a good reputation with young players. I trust that he can get a #5 overall to play to his potential, especially a #5 overall with nothing but a good attitude, so he'll work towards improving.

2. A much better team, in general and defensive partner. You can only do so much yourself, especially in such a team-involved sport.

Even if he is doing all that people say and playing well, he'll have to do it at the NHL level too. But things are looking good so far.

Old
05-12-2004, 03:03 PM
Jacob

It's important to note too that nobody's defensive game improves more than in their first training camp. Whitney's play in the playoffs thus far is only a sign of things to come.

Old
05-12-2004, 05:47 PM
clefty
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardog
As far as suiting myself, wouldnt you agree that actually seeing him would be a much more accurate way to judge him rather than listening to a game called by a guy who really is as unobjective as they come? I mean, I just dont want to "see" him through the eyes of Tom Grace if that makes any sense.
Like I said, thats fine with me.

Tom Grace is biased, but he's not as subjective as you say. I mean, if someone screws up, he actually jumps all over them. In fact, I remember he called out Ryan Whitney as being the culprit for a Bridgeport goal in that series. He loves the team and thats clear, but he doesn't go off sugar coating absolutely everything the Baby Penguins do. If Tom Grace says that Ryan Whitney made a nice defensive play, chances are he made a nice defensive play.

Closed Thread