HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brad Stuart and the playoffs... what happens?

Old
05-01-2010, 07:29 PM
PocketGnome

vCash: 500
Brad Stuart and the playoffs... what happens?

This guy goes from a minus player during the regular season to a playoff gamer. What the heck happens with this guy? All season long we all (most) give him a ton of crap about his lackluster play during the regular season, and then this guy shows up and dominates.

During the 08-09 season(67 games) he gets 15 points and goes -3.
During the 08-09 playoffs(23 games) he gets 9 points and is +5

During this years season(82 games) he gets 20 points and goes -12.
During the playoffs so far(8 games) he has 6 points and is +6.

Don't get me wrong, the Wings haven't played many games this playoff season yet, and we had a ton of injuries, but how does this guy go from being one of the worst to one of the best?

PocketGnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2010, 07:47 PM
ZDH

and at the other end of the spectrum recently.......Kronwall

ZDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2010, 07:49 PM
Chunkylover

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketGnome View Post
This guy goes from a minus player during the regular season to a playoff gamer. What the heck happens with this guy? All season long we all (most) give him a ton of crap about his lackluster play during the regular season, and then this guy shows up and dominates.

During the 08-09 season(67 games) he gets 15 points and goes -3.
During the 08-09 playoffs(23 games) he gets 9 points and is +5

During this years season(82 games) he gets 20 points and goes -12.
During the playoffs so far(8 games) he has 6 points and is +6.

Don't get me wrong, the Wings haven't played many games this playoff season yet, and we had a ton of injuries, but how does this guy go from being one of the worst to one of the best?
The Wings proved last season they have a switch and know when to actuate it. I guess this is exhibit B. What's scary is that flipping said switch produces detrimental results in the following season. If they do well this year, dare we even imagine how bad next season could be?

Chunkylover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2010, 08:19 PM
GT500x
Im OK where we're at

It's too early for this. Give Stu some time to make a couple more bad giveaways or leave a man uncovered. Yeah, he has his moments. But he also has... his moments.

GT500x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2010, 08:31 PM
Franzenstein

Send a message via AIM to Franzenstein
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT500x View Post
It's too early for this. Give Stu some time to make a couple more bad giveaways or leave a man uncovered. Yeah, he has his moments. But he also has... his moments.
He's been key for us all year. Yes he's has his horrible giveaways, but I remember talks of him being our only all-star this year if there was an all-star game b/c he was playing so good when we were injured.

Franzenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2010, 09:02 PM
Flowah
#FireHolland

I don't think his +/- is very good for seeing how well he was playing. Through a long stretch in the regular season, he flat-out was just the most reliable player. It was noticeable for me, his level of elevated play. I think maybe where in better years, he'd have the offense to raise his +/- stats some, this year clearly, we scored much less than before.

Flowah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2010, 09:45 PM
ESunlin

Send a message via MSN to ESunlin Send a message via Yahoo to ESunlin
Yeah, I thought he was VERY solid and reliable this year- not sure what you are referring to?

I thought we had all agreed that +/- is not a good stat to judge someone's performance on- for the first part of the season, he was the best defenseman we had.

ESunlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2010, 09:53 PM
HockeyinHD

IMO, the reason Stuart's been more impressive in playoffs than in his past two regular seasons is because the style of game in the playoffs changes and generally tightens up.

The level of competition increases, also, so since Detroit will tend to spend more time in their own end than they would in a typical regular season, and that's where Stuart is strongest... well, there you go.

Where Stuart has always looked most out of place is when Detroit's flying along at a high level on the offensive side of the ice. Like this year, where Stuart was so present and so important while the team was hurt and playing largely a dump and chase brand of hockey, but once people came back and the team got healthy in mid February, he disappeared.

HockeyinHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2010, 10:06 PM
GT500x
Im OK where we're at

I want to see all this love the next time one of Stuart's giveaways leads directly to a goal.

All I'm saying his, becareful when you call him "one of the best." Consider his entire body of work. I'd rather appreciate him for being a solid #3 or #4 then gush about him being one of the best. He has his moments.

Old
05-01-2010, 10:11 PM
FabricDetails

Quote:
I want to see all this love the next time one of Stuart's giveaways leads directly to a goal.
Or knocks the puck into his own net...

Or pinches at the wrong time...

All in the most important game of the year...

FabricDetails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2010, 10:14 PM
ESunlin

Quote:

All I'm saying his, becareful when you call him "one of the best." Consider his entire body of work. I'd rather appreciate him for being a solid #3 or #4 then gush about him being one of the best. He has his moments.
I assume you are referring to my post. I called him the best defenseman we had for the first half of the season- I hardly call that "gushing", it's a pretty honest assessment. He was solid defensively, tried to chip in offensively, and kept things calm. Considering the injuries, I call that more than fair.

Yes, he has his moments, but when we needed him this year, he was there.

Old
05-01-2010, 10:18 PM
GT500x
Im OK where we're at

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESunlin View Post
I assume you are referring to my post. I called him the best defenseman we had for the first half of the season- I hardly call that "gushing", it's a pretty honest assessment. He was solid defensively, tried to chip in offensively, and kept things calm. Considering the injuries, I call that more than fair.

Yes, he has his moments, but when we needed him this year, he was there.
Actually, in saying "one of the best," I was referring to the thread starter's comments. He shouldn't toss that phrase around so carelessly

Old
05-01-2010, 10:27 PM
PocketGnome

Quote:

You've completely contradicted yourself, holding a giveaway or two against a player rather than considering "his entire body of work."

PocketGnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2010, 10:41 PM
GT500x
Im OK where we're at

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketGnome View Post
You've completely contradicted yourself, holding a giveaway or two against a player rather than considering "his entire body of work."
No I didn't.

He has his moments. That's all. Let's not get carried away.

Old
05-01-2010, 10:47 PM
Roy S

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyinHD View Post
IMO, the reason Stuart's been more impressive in playoffs than in his past two regular seasons is because the style of game in the playoffs changes and generally tightens up.

The level of competition increases, also, so since Detroit will tend to spend more time in their own end than they would in a typical regular season, and that's where Stuart is strongest... well, there you go.

Where Stuart has always looked most out of place is when Detroit's flying along at a high level on the offensive side of the ice. Like this year, where Stuart was so present and so important while the team was hurt and playing largely a dump and chase brand of hockey, but once people came back and the team got healthy in mid February, he disappeared.
I think this is accurate. Stuart is also best served as a complimentary player and he was asked to do more than he could handle for a large stretch of this season when Kronwall was out. Now that Nik is back, his responsibilities can be reduced at ES and he doesn't have to lead a defensive pairing like he had to do when he was out. As a #4 defenseman, he is great. If he was asked to be the #1 guy, then he would be a huge liability in the long run. He needs to have a Kronwall or Lidstrom by his side and then he can fill his role. If he would have to be the lead guy on a pairing over a large stretch of games, then you get the performance that we got from him when Kronwall went out. Now that things are back to normal, he is free to flourish in his given role.

Roy S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2010, 11:12 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Stuart is playing well because his game is suited for the playoffs.
He has the right mix of speed, strength, skill and aggressiveness for the playoffs.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2010, 06:08 AM
TheMoreYouKnow

Stuart's potential has always been #1 D-man but in reality he's a #2 if you're in a pickle and a solid 2nd pairing guy otherwise.

TheMoreYouKnow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2010, 08:42 AM
Filppula
Jurks

Stuart's my third favourite Wing.

He's quite frequently a beast out there, really turns it on in the playoffs. Love him.

Filppula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2010, 08:51 AM
zetterberg40

Send a message via AIM to zetterberg40
Stuy on this board took a lot of hit this year for no apparent reason. Everyone acts like every defenseman needs to be a solid stud, while every forward is garbage if they arent fighting, scoring, dishing it off for a goal or making a highlight deke. I never understood the train of thought around here, but it is what it is.

Stuy is the man. Whatever he is eating, give some to Kronwall.

zetterberg40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2010, 08:55 AM
Harold Snepsts

In a recent Wings game I seem to remember the announcers saying how Holland commented that when they signed Stuart, they knew they were getting a playoff performer more than a regular season guy. Implying he was an average defenseman who really stepped it up come playoff time.

And I really don't get the grief he gets around here. He's a very good middle pairing guy and adds a physical presence the Wings desperately need.

Harold Snepsts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2010, 09:08 AM
HockeyinHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetterberg40 View Post
Stuy on this board took a lot of hit this year for no apparent reason.
That's silly. He was terrible for the better part of two months, that's why he 'took a lot of hits.'

HockeyinHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2010, 09:15 AM
slapshots1515

Wings are full of guys like that...Stuart, Franzen, (Ozzie?)

slapshots1515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2010, 09:27 AM
ProPAIN
I am the Danger!

He has been great throughout the season IMO. When all our players were injured, he stepped up and played really well. He had an awful game 6 against Phoenix (tbh, everyone did) even though he scored.

We Ericsson or someone else to learn from him and come in the third pairing and play. The other guy should be someone like Lidstrom and we should be pretty solid in defense.

ProPAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2010, 11:59 AM
ESunlin

"He was our best D early in the season and then Kronner got hurt and over a period of time we wore him out, so then he struggled for a little bit," Babcock said. "He's back to playing the way he can, a real physical presence for us."

"He doesn't take any penalties (22 minutes during the season, four in the playoffs) and, yet, he's after people. At then at playoff time, for whatever reason, he generates offense as well."

Well, Babs agrees with me.

Old
05-02-2010, 09:21 PM
Filppula
Jurks

Beast.

Filppula is offline   Reply With Quote